Inspired by the strong stomachs thread...

Barbruka

Favorite place in the world.
Reading about the bathroom incident in the strong stomachs thread, and the need to wash hands and use antiseptic wipes for hands, how many of you seem to get sick towards the end of your vacations with a bad cold? It seems every trip I take there, I always get a horrendous cold by the end of the trip. I have read enough posts here to know that I am not alone. Is it because of changing climates (as some have stated), or is it the terrible germs that are everywhere? Just curious, as I am trying to think of something to do to keep from getting so sick again this upcoming trip. Any ideas?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think I get it from the air on the planes. Keep breathing that same recycled air over and over. Germs galore

it's definately the planes for me. if i don't drink a lot of water, or if i have even a sip of alcohol or the last time it was a sunburn - anything that may weaken my immune system even a tiny bit, i come down with an awful cold after being on a plane! :(

I agree with the airplane theory. I thought it was the crowds and such until we drove to California last year and did DL for three days along with other parks; I did not get sick on that trip! I get sick when we go to FL and fly!!!! (this past trip in June, I finally did not get sick; DH got it this trip!:( )

Drink as much water as possible and stay away from caffiene and alcohol on the plane. (also stay hydrated during the trip) I think you are more susceptable to germs when your nasal membranes are dried out. Correct me here if anyone knows more about this medically. One tip I have heard is to use the saline nose sprays to keep your nose moist.

I too have gotten colds from air flights. Last trip I sprayed my throat with zinc spray before I boarded and it may have done the trick since I didn't get a cold that time.

Every SINGLE time either of my DDs has been on a plane in the last few years (and, yes, this includes all 3 of our trips to WDW) one of them has come down with an upper respiratory problem, and the baby has gotten an ear infection each and every time we've flown. We are far too intimately familiar with Centra Care. I'm a firm believer that it is airplane air. I close off our blowers and make sure we drink lots of water. I've also heard the saline nasal mist theory (just can't get my kids to let me spray up their noses - ha!).

You are all probably right, but I don't smoke or drink, so that's not contributing to it. I get sick though even when I drive down. Normally, here at home, I rarely get sick. I'm sure I don't drink enough water. Someone told me to start taking Echinacea about 6 weeks before we go. Anyone try that for building the immune system?

You know I never thought about the plane trip like that before. Maybe that's why I wound up getting bronchitis when I was down there! That's the first time I ever had it before too. Usually, I'll just get a cold or sore throat and ear ache, but never bronchitis. Guess, I'll have to make sure I take my vitamins before our next trip.

This is better suited to our "Tips" board... :D

I think it has to be all the different germs that your body is not used to and so they are harder to fight off.

I would get sick during every trip to disney, but on my last trip I made sure I washed my hands with antibacterial lotion (this stuff is great and sort of feels like using a wet-nap) before I touched ANY food I ate and I did not get sick all vacation. I will definitely be sure to use it again for my next trip.:cool:

I would like to take this opportunity to appolgize in advance for anyone who gets sick from an airplane flight from Wisconsin ->Chicago -> Orlando tomorrow. My 22 moth old DD just came down with a cold today :(.

My DH and I also used to get sick on our vacations; I believe it is exposure to all the germs on the airplane (from the people with you and the poeple before you on the plane).

What I did for our honeymoon (2 wonderful weeks at WDW) was start taking a Vitamin C and a Zinc tablet each day for about a week before we left (building up our immune system), then continues with the extra C and Zinc while we were there. This was in addition to our normal multi vitamins we take every day.

We did not get sick at all that entire trip! Also, we did this again in January (10 days at WDW), and had the same results - didn't get sick!

Also, for the very dry air on the planes. I have chronic sinus problems that get much worse with very dry air. I usually have lots of problems on the plane, and have in the past wet down a napkin and breathed through it to help keep my sinus moist (hadn't thought about using he saline spray).

However, I just recently got a small personal air purifier from Sharper Image. It hangs around your neck like a small pair of binoculars, and it directs a flow of purified air to your nose and mouth. This would help with the germ things. But the REAL reason I got it is there is a filter that the air flows through that you can moisten with water, and now your purified air is ALSO humidified!

I haven't used this on a plane yet, but I will next weekend when we fly to Baltimore.

I got mine for about $20, using the Auction part of the Sharper Image website - I think they normally sell for $60 (which was too much for me to pay).

My two cents!

I would think that because people are on vacation, they handle money/bills more often than usual. They say money is very proned to carrying germs and you should ALWAYS wash your hands before you eat after handling money.

Okay that was my theory, lol.

We travel a lot, and found the same problem with colds after flying. Read in a travellers magazine that it is the dry air on planes. Seems the air dries out the lining of the nose, and makes you susceptible (sp?) to picking up a cold. It said to use some Vaseline in your nostrils. Okay, we tried it (gross I know), but it really worked! At least we've never caught a cold yet! I try to find some privacy (airport restroom), so I don't look as if I'm picking my nose!

A friend told me about saline solution (an ENT Dr) and I've used it since...so far I guess I've been lucky. I've also heard that you should drink extra water.

You guys are great!!! I wonder if I can try all these ideas at once. Boy, that would be a site to see! An air purifier around my neck, vaseline up my nose, zinc spray in my nose or is it my throat and maybe I'll throw a mask on too! I'll probably still get a cold!!!

Barbruka: ROTFLMBO! So true! I just double up on my vitamin C! 3000 mgs a day!

I agree with the money theory. When my oldest sister worked in merchandise at Disney, she usually counted the money at the end of the day. She would get so sick that she was switched to a different shift that did not involve handling as much money.

We kept finding that we were getting stomach problems (which we NEVER get) towards the end of our trips. We stopped eating at buffets and that has totally stopped the problem. On the rare occasion that we actually do go to a buffet now, we find out when they open (assuming they're closed for lunch) and try to be the first in line. Have you ever watched how people lick their fingers and such (then touch the serving spoons) at a buffet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter