Interesting article, Disney may have finally exceeded the price people will pay

You have to do what is right for you and your family. This is what I do. I get a annual pass a gold dvc annual pass and I go about three times during that year a week at a time. Than I take some time off. Last time it was a long 2 and a half years. Than I do it all over again. Lots of people don’t like what I do because your not going every year. Do what is right for you and your family.

I mean, (Edit) World Showcase is a shopping mall with a log flume and a boat ride...

At least you don't need a reservation to get an alcoholic drink at WS...

My money is on alcohol being added to the menus of the milk stand, Ronto's Roasters, and Docking Bay 7 by the end of the year at Disneyland. Alcohol has way too high of a profit margin and this simple thing will significantly increase revenue as well as interest in the land overall. I honestly can't believe they haven't gone this route yet. I would much rather see alcohol for sale in GE without restrictions than any of the myriad price increases or hard ticket events as a way to increase revenue.

At least you don't need a reservation to get an alcoholic drink at WS...

My money is on alcohol being added to the menus of the milk stand, Ronto's Roasters, and Docking Bay 7 by the end of the year at Disneyland. Alcohol has way too high of a profit margin and this simple thing will significantly increase revenue as well as interest in the land overall. I honestly can't believe they haven't gone this route yet. I would much rather see alcohol for sale in GE without restrictions than any of the myriad price increases or hard ticket events as a way to increase revenue.

Yes, that is my biggest pet peeve with Disney, reducing all their hours for hard ticket events. Or closing off areas for people for paid "dessert" parties. The upsell on things now is crazy. We used to be able to go budget and spend a ton of time in the park, and now you have to buy a ticket just to buy another ticket to spend the whole day in the park it seems like. AND yet, there are HUGE threads on here about people who love those events.

I know there are other boards like this and I wonder to myself does Disney monitor these boards do they even try to get a hold on the pulse of what the public wants or are they too self-centered, too egotistical, and too elitist and think they are untouchable? I believe the latter three because for years we wanted a land with Fantasy Beasts as they had discussed when AK opened the boards referred to it often....what do we get a bunch of lights and luminescent paint accompanied by one of the worst water shows I have ever seen. All they do is try to create celebrations out of nothing in order to sell more merch and special foods, like the day tons of people lined up at Poly to get a blue Dole whip! They close nostalgic rides like Snow White and make it a meet and greet! They make everything a meet and greet! I sometimes feel that they are snake oil salesmen selling us counterfeit magic.

They could have had the Harry Potter Franchise and to be honest, while I like it at Universal I still think Disney would have made it even better. Once again did not care what the popular vote was!

I think just the fact that we do not have a ton of people outraged on this thread and wanting my heart on a Cinderella pillow about mine and others comments, as we would have in the past, speaks volumes louder than any we write. HEY DISNEY, DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SPEAK??
J.K.Rowling didn't like the vision that Disney had of her property,so went to Universal.Disney didn't want a whole land,so Universal went with it-and very successfully at that.

I know there are other boards like this and I wonder to myself does Disney monitor these boards do they even try to get a hold on the pulse of what the public wants or are they too self-centered, too egotistical, and too elitist and think they are untouchable? I believe the latter three because for years we wanted a land with Fantasy Beasts as they had discussed when AK opened the boards referred to it often....what do we get a bunch of lights and luminescent paint accompanied by one of the worst water shows I have ever seen. All they do is try to create celebrations out of nothing in order to sell more merch and special foods, like the day tons of people lined up at Poly to get a blue Dole whip! They close nostalgic rides like Snow White and make it a meet and greet! They make everything a meet and greet! I sometimes feel that they are snake oil salesmen selling us counterfeit magic.

They could have had the Harry Potter Franchise and to be honest, while I like it at Universal I still think Disney would have made it even better. Once again did not care what the popular vote was!
The "popular vote" doesn't matter as long as they were getting people into their parks. Raise prices, add prices, whatever. As long as people are coming in droves, who cares what random people on the internet say?

I think just the fact that we do not have a ton of people outraged on this thread and wanting my heart on a Cinderella pillow about mine and others comments, as we would have in the past, speaks volumes louder than any we write. HEY DISNEY, DO YOU HEAR THE PEOPLE SPEAK??

I don't think the cost of admission is wholly to blame in the drop in attendance. I have been hesitant to plan another trip (to WDW) because all of the windows for Fast Passes and dining reservations and the price of accommodations have made me dread the planning. I love it there, but fussing with Magic Bands and all the linking of tickets and reservations, etc. is just getting to be too much for a vacation. There are so many layers of planning that it takes the fun and flexibility out of the trip. Now, maybe my husband and family would feel differently because they are not in charge of the arrangements, but at some point I would like to be able to just relax and enjoy the vacation without having to worry about missing some ride or meal or predetermined activity.
I agree with this! The new system is too hard, there is too much planning and no room for flexibility. It takes all the fun out of planning a trip--planning my vacation shouldn't be so stressful!

It has been 1 1/2 years since our last trip and I have the itch again so I priced some things. I can stay with my kids in a value hotel (rack rate) for 8 days this January with 6 day hopper tickets for around $2,200. I estimated airfare for the 3 of us between $600-800 (southwest hadn't yet released prices for the dates I wanted). $3,000 for a week's vacation is a lot of money but it is not prohibitive for us, we could do it if my stupid union wasn't going to strike. But I'm afraid to take vacation days when I don't know how many days of pay I'm going to lose due to the strike.

My issue is that we are laid-back travelers and our last trip (our first with magic bands and the new fastpass system) was unnecessarily stressful. When you weigh cost vs. enjoyment, a beach trip in the summer is a better value for us. We can rent a really nice car to drive down and stay for a week in a nice little condo 1/2 a block from the beach for half the cost of that Disney trip. And its much more relaxing than all the prior planning required for a successful Disney trip. I sure hope Disney will revamp their Magic Band system and make it more flexible for those of us with a more laid back vacation style.

Whatever is actually happening i can only speak for myself. I'm glad that I cut the cord. Yes, I know that a zillion people with tons of money will replace any of us but that doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad that I'm enjoying other things now.

Economists are predicting another recession. If that happens, we can expect an even bigger drop in park attendance.

For our family, we'll stay at less-expensive hotels around Disneyland, and will cruise on other cruise lines where we don't have to pay the Mouse's salary.

I've seen variations on this article all over for the past month. I sure wish Disney was cheaper, of course, but I'm not sure overall this is bad for disney.

The article says "But not even Disney can keep winning forever. With this dip in attendance, Disney might now finally have discovered that ceiling beyond which it no longer can keep raising prices without consequences. " And I disagree with that. Disney DID win. They had fewer people in the parks, which means lower staffing costs and yet they still made more money than before. Disney doesn't care what the attendance number is as much as they care about their profit. They'll do whatever it takes to make more money.
I’m not sure that lower staffing costs make up for lower crowds. Each guest can pay for 4-5 hours of a CM’s time. 1,000 more guests generates 4,000 more hours.

The latest I heard was they’re gonna “reconfigure “ DL’s GE into Agrabah aka Aladdinland!
OMG, that's what my friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend said she heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who was at that meeting!

It must be true

WOW!!! Here in WDW territory one needs only ask a bus driver for the truth about all things Disney. Soooo much easier.

We are going to Europe next year for approx. 5K, including flights, lodging, food, transportation, and entrance fees. Yes, I did get a crazy good deal on the flights.

I priced out the same dates for a WDW vacation. Staying at AKL (pool view) it will be 7K for lodging and tickets. Staying at Coronado Springs (our favorite moderate) in a standard room would be 4.7K for lodging and tickets. Doesn't include food, getting there and back (either flights or driving + hotel night), or the new parking fee. Yes, I understand I can stay offsite, cook my own meals, not get park hoppers, and do some things to make the WDW trip a little cheaper, but if I'm going to WDW, we like to stay right there onsite, and because of the ridiculous crowd levels I really feel like we need the hoppers.

To be honest though, even if the WDW trip was quite a bit cheaper, we're kind of over it. We would rather see new things. And the last couple of WDW trips were so ridiculously crowded, such long waits for the buses, crazy waits even for things like Small World, waiting for 45 minutes past our reservation at table service restaurants, that it really put us off WDW altogether. I would love to check out some of the Disney parks in other parts of the world, especially would love to go to the Seas if we are ever in Tokyo, but I really don't foresee another WDW vacation.

We used to go at least annually. We stopped in 2016. We started going elsewhere.

I booked at package for December. I have since switched to off site and I am reconsidering if we will buy tickets at all. I don’t see the value anymore especially with the crowds. There is plenty to do in Orlando. We really just want some sun.

I enjoy the planning to a certain extent but feel it has gotten out of hand.

I read this several days ago and am still unsure as what it really means. Disney released earnings last week and the stock suffered but rebounded the next day and it is unclear whether the numbers drove all the change or if just the overall market based on trade negotiations with China are going. My main take away from what I read was while attendance was down, revenue was up. This was noted due to the fact that AP's were showing up less but full price paying tickets were coming to the parks. Also the Galaxy's Edge is generating huge revenue from the Light Saber and Droight building places. They also noted that Disney is aware of it because in anticipation of GE they had raised AP prices, but when they saw the attendance falling they started offering more for Passholders. They actually let people on blackout the opportunity to get in the parks if they made reservations. Disney is certainly testing how to extract more revenue from customers every day. At some point they will hit the top and this may signal that they are close. In the end their bread and butter for consistant earnings are the returning guests with AP's. They count on that large group to stabilize earnings. Lose them and they take a big hit. Look for a period of attonement by Disney where they will attempt to appease the group, not by lowering prices but initially by offering more for the higher price. It may or may not work but it will be the first thing they try.

A huge piece of the overall Disney strategy is a consistant flow of cash from Park Operations to fund everything else they do. They have to take care of their cash cow.

Even though revenues are up attendance is down. They claim that the prices were upped to keep crowds down. How caring.

The weird thing is, if they only cared about revenue, why would they even include attendance information in these earnings calls? Like, I wonder why those numbers even matter, if revenue is "the most important thing." Clearly, attendance numbers are relevant, and I don't think stock holders feel good about those lower numbers, because they point to future potential revenue issues.

It's like home sale tracking. When home sales numbers in an area are "down", it is a bad thing, regardless of whether the median sale prices are higher or lower. The numbers that reflect BEHAVIORS are as relevant as the numbers that reflect $$$.

So, I don't buy Disney's claim that they have raised prices to lower crowds and provide a better guest experience. That is a bunch of BS. NO company wants "less customers."

I can stay with my kids in a value hotel (rack rate) for 8 days this January with 6 day hopper tickets for around $2,200. I estimated airfare for the 3 of us between $600-800 (southwest hadn't yet released prices for the dates I wanted). $3,000 for a week's vacation is a lot of money but it is not prohibitive for us....

Um...you haven't eaten yet. :) Or bought any souvenirs or snacks. For 3 people for 8 days, I'd add another 700-1000, depending on your eating style.

That's how they get you--the little things like eating. :D

J.K.Rowling didn't like the vision that Disney had of her property,so went to Universal.Disney didn't want a whole land,so Universal went with it-and very successfully at that.

Once GE is fully open, it’ll be interesting to compare it to WWoHP. That land is so well themed, steeped in tiny details. I realize it won’t be a completely fair comparison since they essentially have two robust sections now.

To be honest though, even if the WDW trip was quite a bit cheaper, we're kind of over it. We would rather see new things. And the last couple of WDW trips were so ridiculously crowded, such long waits for the buses, crazy waits even for things like Small World, waiting for 45 minutes past our reservation at table service restaurants, that it really put us off WDW altogether. I would love to check out some of the Disney parks in other parts of the world, especially would love to go to the Seas if we are ever in Tokyo, but I really don't foresee another WDW vacation.

I think this is why part of their strategy is to make things super expensive and make the same (or more) money with less people. The numbers have been saying their profits are up despite attendance going down.

They also noted that Disney is aware of it because in anticipation of GE they had raised AP prices, but when they saw the attendance falling they started offering more for Passholders. They actually let people on blackout the opportunity to get in the parks if they made reservations.

No, this is not accurate at all. They raised the price of the Deluxe pass by $200 and then added approximately 50 additional Disneyland park blackout dates to that pass. Those passholders were suddenly not able to come to DL park ALL SUMMER (June 20-Aug 20, approx).

This obviously backfired spectacularly, so Disney relented and offered all blacked out passholders (So Cal Select, So Cal, and Deluxe) the opportunity to come to the park BUT ONLY if they brought a friend AND both the AP holder AND the "friend" had to purchase a $99 ticket for admission to DL park. It was called the AP Bring A Friend promotion. So, effectively, they were asking AP holders who already paid $200 more for their pass only to be blocked out, to pay ANOTHER $99 and convince someone else to join them and also drop $99 for admission, for one day. I suspect there weren't many Deluxe passholders who jumped at this offer, although there may have been a fair number of So Cal APs who did, since their pass is several hundred dollars less than the Deluxe pass, and they have always been blocked out during summer, so this would have maybe been a good deal for those who really wanted to come to the parks.

Simultaneously, Disney introduced a NEW AP called the Flex AP, which cost $599 and only has a handful of "good to go" days that aren't blocked out. All other dates require an advanced reservation, and they are restricted to only being able to hold 2 reservations within a 30 day window. So, certainly, this pass is a good deal for people who can be REALLY good about knowing when they want to come and making reservations. They are not good for people taking multi day trips or people who cannot stick to the reservation (there are strict "no show" penalties).

I don't know how much of an impact these two things had on crowds, but from visiting at least once a week, all summer, I didn't see any noticeable increases. There were days here and there that were a bit more crowded, BUT Disney also cut hours and reduced ride capacities, so it may have just been the illusion of being "busier."

We expect a significant crowd boost starting next Monday, when AP blackouts are lifted completely. It will be interesting to see the turnout.

I agree with this! The new system is too hard, there is too much planning and no room for flexibility. It takes all the fun out of planning a trip--planning my vacation shouldn't be so stressful!

It has been 1 1/2 years since our last trip and I have the itch again so I priced some things. I can stay with my kids in a value hotel (rack rate) for 8 days this January with 6 day hopper tickets for around $2,200. I estimated airfare for the 3 of us between $600-800 (southwest hadn't yet released prices for the dates I wanted). $3,000 for a week's vacation is a lot of money but it is not prohibitive for us, we could do it if my stupid union wasn't going to strike. But I'm afraid to take vacation days when I don't know how many days of pay I'm going to lose due to the strike.

My issue is that we are laid-back travelers and our last trip (our first with magic bands and the new fastpass system) was unnecessarily stressful. When you weigh cost vs. enjoyment, a beach trip in the summer is a better value for us. We can rent a really nice car to drive down and stay for a week in a nice little condo 1/2 a block from the beach for half the cost of that Disney trip. And its much more relaxing than all the prior planning required for a successful Disney trip. I sure hope Disney will revamp their Magic Band system and make it more flexible for those of us with a more laid back vacation style.

A lot of this is true. Pre booking fpp is great if you travel with grown ups and can make fixed plans. It’s awful for people with small children, or minor health complaints, or who just like to go with the flow.

My pet peeve is that you can’t trade top flight fast pass in one park for one in another. I know that logistically it probably wouldn’t work, but on our last trip I gave up two sets of fpp for flights of passage on different days because our toddler wanted to do magic kingdom instead (fair play to him, mk is the best for small people) and on both days the choices for new fpp were non existent. All that effort to plan our days out and get gold standard fpp for the most popular attractions at 60 days out gone to waste. If I could have switched them for seven dwarfs mine train I’d have been so much happier! As it was I was a grumpy person because I was effectively losing out despite being well prepared.

And I bet there were people wanting fop that had sdmt on their accounts too...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter