Irma FL residents, such as me, please share your experiences...

2disneywego

Disney makes me Happy!!!!!!
I moved from Vermont to Kissimmee 2-1/2 years ago and love it.
However, after growing up in Canada and 19 years in Vermont, I am not fazed by massive blizzards.

Irma, for my first hurricane has been a terrifying experience. Just the sounds of a category 2 hurricane tracking right over my home is beyond my ability to describe it. And the worst 12 hours of my life weather-wise. I'm still not sure if the worst happening during the night was worse for not being able to see or if seeing would have completely freaked me out. (Not that the difference was too far apart:scared1::faint:)

For all other Florida residents, how have you come through Irma.....so far......

I was amazingly lucky, and thankful and grateful for the rest of my life. I had a hurricane kit prepared and tripled its size 2 weeks ago today. I live in a small semi-rural subdivision with amazing neighbours and we all look out for each other. :grouphug: Many have lived here for over 35 years and shared great advice. 95% of us prepared and stayed in our homes.
I'm blessed to have outstanding neighbours right beside me and we're very close. They watch over me, since I'm alone, all my family and life-long friends still in Canada.

We all were in lock-down mode by noon on Sunday when the winds picked up. Then the rain, oh the rain. And it got steadily worse. House shaking wind gusts, pounding rain, flying debris hitting the house, chimney damper clanging up and down.....
Amazingly we kept our power until 11 pm. As the eye beared down on us. By 1 am. I was basically lying on the couch in a fetal position in a fetal position. The wind would have made conversation impossible. It sounded like a massive giant was sanding the outside of my house trying to get in.

At 2 am, it succeeded when an 8 foot section collapsed into my great room with 10 or 20 gallons of water. Half a box of large black trash bags and 2 rolls of duct tape later, I had manged to funnel into buckets.
Never so happy to see sunrise. Winds were still high, flying debris a problem. After 3 nights with no sleep, I was in need of friends and tea.
Scoped out the area, then scurried across the soaking wet sponge formerly known as our lawns, and we all hugged, copius amounts of tea (thanks to their generator) talking, then the 5 of us headed outside to assess the damage.

This is the grateful part. Theirs was better than mine. Tons of branches down. Across the street a huge limb was down blocking the road. Our subdivision has all cables underground thankfully. The sound of generators and chain saws filled the air.

We walked all around my property, picking up 100s of my shingles along the way. I have a one story home, so I have over 3000 sq ft of roof with 3 ridges, at least. All were peeled off like banana skins. Along with 100s of shingles. My screening around my lanai is just gone. And the metal framework is totally racked, screws ripped out. Also, over shingles decided to go swimming in my pool. And those suckers are very difficult to fish out, along with multiple drowned lizards and other slithery reptiles. I shoveled 100s of fish out of my driveway along with more than a few dead birds.

My irrigation system suffered damage wit major breaks which are flooding the foundation. I shut it down. I think there are more underground breaks. I shut that down.

Considering what millions of other people are going through total devastating, losing their lives, home under water, no insurance, I feel guilty about my good neighbours who have lost everything.

But I need to initiate the repairs as supplies wi be in short supply for awhile..

So, my questions to all Florida residents, how have you weathered Irma and the after effects? Are you and family come through Irma? Safeully I hope.......(if you can respond...)

Prayers for all those affected, double for the first responders, the nonstop efforts of the emergency operations personelle, and the safety of millions of homes and people completely devastated.

And for the visitors impacted....I'm understanding, but you get to to go home eventually, here, families living through the weeks and many months of recovery. Your vacations may be delayed, canceled, or disrupted by Irma. But so many are able to leave, eventually. Irma devastated all Floridians physically, emotional, and financially.

Getting back to the main subject. Could all Florida residents share their stories, if you can. Let's expand this circle of caring. :hug: to :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks so much my Dis family. I know the depth of caring here. Your words will give a human touch to the output of care. Lord knows, we need it.

Thanks for your time, and I know the DIS Is filled with compassionate and loving people.
Thanks for your time. I'm off to assess more damage, line up contractors and wait for the insurance company. :angel:
Carolyn

Last edited:
First of all, my children and I are safe. Everything else is a nuisance. I was much farther from the storm center and made out okay.

I have a big tree down in my front yard, but it fell away from the house! Yay! Now I'm waiting on a guy to cut it up and take it away for $500. I've been picking up other debris for two days and still haven't got it all. I have two piles as big as minivans, and I have no idea when it will get hauled. And finally I've been without power for 2 1/2 days. The first day was relatively cool. Today is hot and sticky. If you ask the power folks, they tell you it could be out for two weeks. I hope not. I've got a generator big enough for the fridge and other small appliances, but not the AC or water heater. I haven't attempted laundry yet. I can run the washer, but I don't have a long enough 220 cord for the dryer, so will probably rig a clothesline. I've been cooking with my camp stove.

But again, it's all just a nuisance. I feel very lucky compared to so many others in Florida, Texas, and around the world. Good luck!

ETA: I'm about 1/4 - 1/2 mile and, more importantly, 3-4 feet in elevation from the nearest flooding here. Again, lucky...

Last edited:
We are in Palm Beach County so we were not in path of the eye. We had cat 1 conditions and certainly felt it. Power was out for about 30 hours. I'm 31 weeks pregnant and was very, very nervous.

We've been thru Wilma and Andrew but this was the first time I had my own house to worry about which of course added extra stress.

We lost some fencing and a big tree from our association fell into our back yard but thankfully, all is okay. Our family and house is safe. And, at the end of the day, that's all that matters!

We feel very lucky.

Oh, MrsDuck, I couldn't imagine going through this while pregnant like you.
:love2::cloud9: to you and your angel soon to snuggle

We are in Clay County, and we made it through with minimal problems. I stayed up by myself until almost 2:30am, which is when the wind really started picking up. I woke up DH (earlier, we agreed he would go to sleep early, and I would wake him up mid-way through the night so I could get some sleep, so there would always be someone up monitoring things), but I stayed up until 5, when I just lost the will to keep my eyes open. DD#2 was up most of the night with us; DS and GS#2 slept through the whole thing.

Had steady rain until about noon Monday.

We had power until about 5:30am Monday; that was off until about noon yesterday. Lost all the condiments in my fridge, as I didn't have enough ice (because someone who shall not be named was asked to bring home ice on Saturday night, and didn't even stop to look...and so when he went on Sunday, there was none to be found).

Developed a roof leak, around the dryer/stove vents, which has morphed into a leak above the washer, complete with mold. Lost the screen door off the sliding glass door on the back porch (screen ripped off with tree branches) as well as the screen on DS's window (same thing). Lost a few medium sized branches, lots of little branches and leaves off the big oak in the backyard, along with a bunch of needles off the pine.

Rick Scott was in the area this morning, surveying the (still rising) waters of Black Creek. Not close enough to my house to do any damage, but close enough that the helicopters hovering over the visit was annoyingly loud.

Still feeling salty about the package of flashlights that have still not been delivered (thanks FedEx and Amazon). I ordered them first thing Monday morning, with a delivery date of Friday. They didn't even ship until Friday, along with the Nature's Miracle I ordered with them. Luckily they were just backup flashlights, and the rest of my order arrived safely on Friday.

Oh yikes! So glad you're ok.

We're in Clermont and we lost our privacy fence. All our neighbors did too, you can see everyone's yards now. We got a new roof last year after Matthew and it held up awesome, we didn't even lose 1 shingle. We used a company out of Orlando called Over the Top Roofers. Another roofing company going door to door yesterday even complimented their work.

So sorry you experienced so much damage. We didn't board up, but we will next time. It was freaky scary, those winds.....yikes! We're planning on buying plywood soon and cutting the boards so we're better prepared for next time.

(((Hugs))$$

This was my first hurricane - we moved to St Pete just 2 months ago. As you know, St Pete/Tampa was supposed to take a direct hit and in the 11th hour, she veered off course (forever doubting my faith in hurricane tracks!). I was absolutely terrified at what it was going to do to this city and my house is in a flood zone due to storm surge. We live near Tampa Bay.

We did have to evacuate due to our location so we moved a few miles away to my work. Amazingly, we heard NOTHING from inside our building. We slept through the entire storm, dogs and all.

We were overjoyed to find our house in tact with little damage (and no flooding!). St Pete dodged a bullet, really. The biggest issue here now is power. We've been out since Sunday, along with most of the city, and the heat/humidity is overwhelming - esp for my senior age dogs. We tried staying at our house one night and have since moved into my office, which never lost power.

Communication has been limited thanks to little TV/cable/internet/cell coverage here. My parents in TX know more about what's going on than we do. That seems to be improving some, esp cell coverage, and we've been able to use a hotspot for really slow internet. Interestingly, the Disboards loads the fastest out of every site I've visited!

It's hard to complain about lack of power when it could have been so much worse, and IS so much worse for many, many people.

Now we have a list of things we need to get for living in FL! We were not well prepared and couldn't get our hands on many things once we knew the storm was coming. Amazon let us down, too - and they'll be getting that stuff shipped right back to them!

You all are so brave, and I'm so happy you are all safe. I'm sorry for those who had house and/or property damage. I live in Michigan, and can't even imagine how scary it would be to go through a hurricane.

We didn't lose power. And the houses being so close together helped. There are a lot of trees down.

I didn't like the storm going over at night. It was impossible to sleep with the noise and stress.

Osceola County deputies were out the next day clearing trees from the streets. I read it was a task force made up of members of the gang and homicide divisions. They were extremely efficient. We are still waiting for debris to get hauled away but that's to be expected. It's great that the streets got cleared so fast.

The tree in front of our next door neighbors house fell onto their porch. Fortunately it wasn't a large tree so only the screens got damaged.

We did Charley/Francis/Jeanne in 2004 here and the experience was similar. I'm not asking for another hurricane, but I'd feel safe riding out another one here.

Thanks all for sharing your Irma stories and thanks for all for your good wishes.
I think I can safely say on behalf of all us Floridians, your concern, prayers and good wishes mean so much. :grouphug:
:littleangel: :cloud9:

I am in Windermere. This is my fourth hurricane. I've been through several more tropical storms. Irma was, by far, the worst of the bunch. The winds were so intense. We did okay. Our home is less than six months old, so everything was in great condition. We had a small tree tip over and some of our fence was damaged. Fortunately, the screen enclosure made it through. I was worried the pool would overflow. It was close, but okay.

My old neighborhood did not fair as well. Lots of tree damage. We didn't lose power, but the neighborhood one street away did. Many neighborhoods close by lost power. We lost cable a couple of times, but it came right back on. We were very lucky.

After having gone through Irma, I would not stay home for anything stronger. Listening to the windows rattle all night was unnerving.

OP, I'm so sorry that your home was damaged. I can't imagine having to do all of that cleanup. Glad you're all safe though.

I'm in Orlando- rode out the storm at my mom's apartment, which was way hardier than I had thought. We never lost power. I think that made the whole event a little less scary; sitting and watching tv made the night feel a little more normal. Although at one point the wind whipped around against the wall and shook the couch! There were several trees down in the community. A friend of mine lost the patio add-on to their house.

My own apartment got power back last night. Some of the neighborhoods around me still appear to be in the dark.

The stress of last week is something I don't want to go through again any time soon. It felt like the longest week of my life. But I've also learned to not stress so early because these storms are so hard to predict. I couldn't believe they had thought it would hit Miami until about 24 hours before landfall when suddenly it was going to impact Naples and then St. Pete/Tampa. And then suddenly she veered east again and sent the eye right up past me.

We're in the Ft Lauderdale area, we faired very well minus still not having power. Seeing and hearing stories way worse than ours makes me realize how lucky we are only dealing with power outage till possibly Sunday. We have a generator keeping the fridge, portable a/c, and a few other small things going.
Our community is only a year old and we lost trees mostly.

It feels like it been weeks, since we had a "normal life" and a solid sleep.

God Bless you all! Take care and be safe!

This was our first hurricane since moving to FL 2 years ago and, I must say, while the whole thing was exhausting, I am now MUCH less afraid of hurricanes.

We live in Tampa and started getting the warnings on Tuesday. At that point it was still supposed to go up the East coast. So, I topped off our gas tanks, picked up some extra snacks, got the last 2 bottles of camp stove fuel at Home Depot, and figured the worst we'd get is maybe a power outage or some local flooding since our part of Tampa tends to flood after a good sneeze. Blessedly, Winn Dixie had just had a good sale on bottled water the week before and I'd stocked up on 6 cases!

They hype for the storm kept ramping up over Wednesday and Thursday. They were saying Tampa was going to get a more direct hit, and possible at a Cat 4. We just bought our condo in a high rise and it didn't come with shutters. On our floor we weren't worried about ground flooding because we were well above and and could just wait it out, but we were concerned about having a window blow out. So, we spent hours Wednesday and Thursday nights looking for pet-friendly hotels for the weekend. We considered Atlanta and Orlando, but after hearing traffic reports we decided it was better to stay closer and keep off the roads as much as possible. We found a hotel in Lakeland, which right in the middle between Tampa and Orlando on some of the highest ground in FL. We figured if it really looked bad we could bug out there since it was a solid, newly-constructed low rise building that could easily withstand the kind of hurricane winds they'd get inland.

With that plan in place, we were a little nervous but mostly OK. Then, Friday, they called a mandatory evacuation order for our zone in Tampa. Several people in our building, especially those who have shutters, stayed, but we decided to get out. Luckily the hotel in Lakeland was able to get us in early. It took about 2 hours to pack up since we hadn't been planning to leave that soon. Every square inch of the car was packed with water, food, the hurricane box (flashlights, batteries, etc.), medicine, cat stuff, emergency sanitary supplies, and the cats. We were prepared to be self-sufficient for several days, if needed.

There was almost no traffic on I-4 and we got to the hotel and checked into our 3rd floor room. The cats weren't thrilled, but they didn't have much choice but to deal with it. Friday night I was able to go out and get a couple of last-minute supplies at a nearby Walmart and Saturday morning we went out again to a very crowded Publix and even got a nice lunch at a local restaurant. Everything in town was closed by 3pm.

We decide to be "in" after lunch on Saturday both to secure a safe-looking parking spot away from trees, etc. and to keep traffic off the roads as the winds started. The hotel was offering meals off a limited menu of whatever they could find in their freezer. Saturday night was just a little breezy and we went to bed. Sunday morning was windy and gray, but not terribly dramatic. Cabin fever started setting in and mostly I just wanted to get the whole thing over with! We spent all of Sunday watching weather reports since everything else was pre-empted. We went down for meals, again based on whatever they could find to feed us. They wanted us in our rooms after 8pm when the storm really started to fly.

It honestly just sounded like heavy rain and wind. Not really worse than any other storm I'd heard. We lost power around 9:30, so DH monitored conditions with his phone and radio. Just our luck, the storm veered to go directly over our heads in Lakeland, and around 11:45 or so the eyewall started to pass right over us. I was a little scared by then that the window might blow, so I took the cats and went to sit in the bathroom until the worst passed. It took about an hour. It was strong and I heard something thumping on the hotel roof above us, but it didn't bother me too much.

Once the worst had passed we tried to get some sleep. By Monday morning it was still gray and slightly windy. The hotel was still without power and, as best we could tell the roads were clear and the condo still had power, so we decided to head for home. Hauling everything down 3 flights of stairs in the dark wasn't exactly fun, but we managed and the trip home only took about 35 minutes. The condo was fine and had never lost power. We got everything back in and almost immediately crashed.

I'm still putting stuff away today and the cats are still miffed, but we are SO, SO, SO lucky to have fared so well. It feels so surreal that just 3 days ago we had a hurricane.

I'm from Sebring about an hour south of Disney. Lived in Ft Lauderdale during Wilma and Irma was much worse. Took forever to go through, we were on the east side of the eye wall. Thankfully no damage to house. Street was flooded came up just behind the car. Couldn't leave driveway for 2 days or I would've flooded the car. My daughter went to NJ Saturday and wanted to leave me here car. I said no, thankfully or hers would've been in that water. After 3 days without power I drove to Disney I'm here for 2 nights. Doing laundry and getting some more supplies mostly batteries for fans. So happy Disney didn't close Florida resident rate got ASMu for $75 a night. Doing laundry now. When we lost power we also lost running water, that didn't happen after Wilma. Filled the tubs thankfully. After Wilma hit a cold front had come through...we could really use a cold front. Where I live it's 91 with heat index of 100. My parents refuse to leave their house. My daughter came up last night to sleep in my room and we went to the store to send ice back.

We moved, from Chicago, to the Sugarloaf Mountain area outside of Clermont about 18 months ago. It's a great area, very rural, and one of the highest points in Central Florida. We love it here.

We were here for Matthew last year, and afterwards we thought, "hey, that hurricane wasn't bad at all". We weren't really worried about Irma, after all, our hurricane kit was fully stocked and we still had about 5 cases of that tasty Ice Mountain water we imported from up north when we moved! We were set!

Set except for two things - no generator, even though I was pushing to get one, but the neighbour had told my husband the longest we were ever out of power here on the hill was two days, and my husband felt that we would be fine. Also missing - the extra bags of ice my husband was supposed to pick up on his way home from work (I read above my husband was not alone in this lapse!) so we could have ice in our super insulated cooler, at least for the animals water bowls in case the power went out. I have plush-coated Shepherds and long hair, full-coated cats - great for winter up north, not for Florida without a/c!

Leading up to Irma, we learned that my daughter's school, UCF, would be shutting down Thursday through Tuesday. School break! We still aren't worried, because we made it through Matthew and we aren't going to flood here!

Then the news changed. We started to hear about the eye wall coming. My other daughter and her husband that live in a lower elevation came to our house to ride out whatever was coming, and brought their cats and lizards. Party time at my house!

We waited Saturday for something, and nothing happened. Hurricane shifting back and forth, but we were all battened down and prepared. Turned the a/c down to 65 and put on sweaters because we were cold. Sunday came, still ok outside. Then Sunday afternoon, the winds shifted, rain started, and the news reporters said Irma was heading right for our area. I was now worried.

The night was awful. We started out with a tornado warning, and the neighbour said it touched down very close to our homes. There is definitely a large amount of damage and flattened trees in an area here by us that may have been either straight line winds or tornado. Either way, it was scary.

My husband slept through the whole thing. I couldn't, I was too on edge. The rest of the family slept in the family room, where I stayed up listening to where the first big oak would come crashing into the house and I'd have to wake up everyone to clear out the room. Thankfully that never happened.

Power went out around 8:00 pm. It was pitch black outside and I did not appreciate the hurricane arriving during the night! I heard boom ing and banging noises all night long but no way to see what those noises were. Even with a flashlight, you couldn't see anything with the wall of water going sideways by the windows (and I was very grateful we replaced all the old windows in this house after we moved in with hurricane resistant windows, since we didn't lose one window nor have any water seep in!).

When what was formerly the eye came over, it was truly frightening! I had cell service and was watching the radar. Never have I been in a storm with such intensity for such a long time! And then the sudden lessening of winds as the former center went over, lasting about a half hour during which I almost fell asleep, only to be jolted awake when the winds reversed as the back end of Irma went over us!

At 5:30 am, things calmed down enough that I fell asleep. With daybreak though, we were all up, as we had to see what happened.

Thankfully, no damage to our house. For all my complaints about this house not being the one I wanted to buy, it was certainly built very well and stood up well. No roof tiles missing, the built-like-a-house shed all intact, even the gazebo! The former owner built this house over 30 years ago by hand, and wow, he did a great job!

I did lose many of the trees and bushes I planted since we moved in. My garden is torn up, fruit trees broken in half, flower beds with no flowers, so many limbs down from the huge oaks, but those big trees are still standing! We have many acres here, so there is a lot of cleanup, but considering what could have happened, I am fortunate to only have yard clean up.

Our power came on this morning. We were going to go to a hotel today because it just became too much for the humans and animals to have no power (hence no water since we have a well). But finally, a/c! Comcast is still out, so we have no phone, TV, or internet, but at least my cell service is working again!

I am so glad this is over. UCF is still closed until Monday, and my daughter's apartment by campus won't have electricity until Sunday night. Her school break continues. It's nice having her here as free labour with yard cleanup!

The other daughter's house is also unscathed. Some homes were damaged near her, with no rhyme or reason why one is hit and the other isn't.

I have finally convinced my husband that we will now be buying a whole house generator. It's for the animal's comfort, of course. Perhaps we will never need it, but since I still love living in Florida, and have no desire to move, odds are we will have another hurricane, and I have learned that no matter how prepared I thought we were, it was not enough for Irma. Next time, we will do better.

Was in the Thornton Park area of Orlando. Lots of branches and trees down. Heard several booms when transformers blew up. Happened to be looking out during the night and saw sparks flying as the service was torn from a house. Heard a dog barking around 3 am that was sad hear. I've been all through the Orlando area and things are still very rough. But I don't think nearly as bad as past hurricanes. I now have power restored but can see houses from mine that don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter