Is anyone else here still masking at the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living practically next door to the parks I visit a couple of times a week. I'd guess the mask usage levels to be 1% or even less.

I likely will, at least indoors, when I go in Sept, but not for Covid alone. I am just glad that it has become more acceptable. I have crappy lungs, and pre-quarantine got pneumonia at least once a year for over a decade. I always got sick when I got back from WDW. I figured it was just the price of being exposed to new people and new germs from around the world. At least once, I went directly from the airport to the ER with pneumonia again. (I swear I didn't know I was getting sick when I left.) Like an idiot, wearing a mask never occurred to me. But I will be wearing one next time, and drowning in hand sanitizer.

I don't want to make this a debate or anything, I was just curious since my plan is to wear masks indoors on my upcoming trip. It seems like no one is really wearing masks anymore there, but with numbers trending up again and Disney being the petri dish for sickness (even before COVID lol), I thought I might.
We've been here a week. We've been wearing masks always indoors (except when eating), on transportation, and in crowds outdoors, like in ride queues.

There are some other people doing it, but it's not exactly what I'd call a trend or even a common occurrence. Nevertheless, you should do what you feel comfortable doing.

I wear masks indoors in public places at home, so I was hardly going to change for WDW.

One thing I noticed today at MK: a lot of CMs were wearing masks.

ETA: Bring a lot of hand sanitizer with you. There are very very few hand sanitizer stations anywhere in the parks now, I'm sorry to say. The only ones I've noticed are at the TSMM exit (and it was empty yesterday afternoon) and inside, near the entrance to Mama Melrose's. Other than that--nada. I was very disappointed.

Well I didn’t wear a mask at universal (in October) and got Covid with symptoms starting the day after we got home. First time catching it. Not many wearing them but no one seems to pay any attention to it anymore so do what you are comfortable with. We have never had sickness with a. Theme park trip before. Only I caught it. Not the teen

Be sure to bring plenty of your own sanitizer since the few dispensers that are left don’t appear to be refilled very often… if ever.
I didn't see your post when I posted the exact same thing!

I guess Disney doesn't want to remind people about anything that isn't 100% pleasant, but long before covid, I used to regularly get sick after a WDW vacation (or during it) before I reformed and started being a nearly OCD user of hand sanitizer here at WDW. I very much appreciated their dispensers.

Also, fellow DISers, if you run out of your own hand sanitizer here and you don't have a car, be prepared to pay big bucks for a teensy little container, because the only ones they have for sale here on the property are the sorta fancy character dispensers, and they cost $11.99 for the cheap ones and $14.99 for the expensive ones. Not counting tax.

ETA: There's not an 8-oz Purell refill container to be had on property.

I can tell you in my area more people are masking at the grocery store.
I noticed this too. During the summer, I was THE only person with a mask on in the grocery store but now it's almost half (maybe 40-45%) of the people in the store. I saw the same thing when I went to a mall last weekend.

Last edited:
While the numbers are low there are people wearing masks so you do what you feel is best for you! We carry them with us at all times, so if we feel uncomfortable or will be sitting too long in one space. Last trip all shows we watched we were able to get seating without anyone around us. AND I notice way more CMs wearing them than I expected. (last trip Oct)

We also carry sanitizer with us and use it often. But I did that before COVID too.

We ended up buying sanitizer at the resort store and it WAS expensive (the kids fell in love with the ice cream Mickey holders) so definitely bring your own and any refills you think you might need!

I didn't wear one when I was there the last week in August except in the stretching room at HM. I did always have one with me at all times. I also had my own hand sanitizer which I did use any time I couldn't get to a bathroom to wash my hands. Always used it after I got off a ride. Came home fine.

The time before they had just changed the rules for masking on buses, they changed them in the middle of my trip. At that time you were only required to wear them on transportation. I caught a cold on Wens of the trip, I was going home on Friday. Before that I had been wearing my mask on the bus since it was required and any time I was in a pretty big crowd. I did wear a mask at all times, in doors or out if I left my room after I woke up with a sore throat. I also tried to turn my head away from people when I could, I would sit in window seats on the bus and monorail so I could turn toward the window and when I watched the parade I found a spot where no one could stand on one side of me and turned my head away. I also sanitized my hands before I went inside whether it was to a store or the bathroom or a ride. All this was to, hopefully, prevent others from catching the cold. And yes, it was just a cold, a pretty bad one but not Covid, not even the plain ole fashioned flu or Disney junk, just a cold. Not even much coughing or sneezing, just a very runny nose and scratchy throat.

Not me and my family. For us, given our age, health, and vaccination status, the risk of flu or Covid or anything else is preferable to the discomfort and inconvenience of masking. But of course none of us would ever judge or mock anyone else for masking.

I haven’t been wearing them at home—and have covid now but surprisingly DH and DD did not get it (and are testing frequently) and I am on day 6. We will be wearing KN95s indoors on our trip in 2 weeks (as we have every trip) but not outside unless we are packed shoulder to shoulder. We do eat inside. Obviously I am not concerned about getting covid since I have it now, but I don’t want the flu or a cold either to damper a trip. It is not a big deal for us personally to wear them, and there is so much respiratory infectious disease right now. Flu is awful here right now. Last trip in October I would say 1-2% wore them, but I expect it will be higher in 2 weeks. We have never been mocked for wearing them in WDW.

I was there after Thanksgiving and there were more masks than I expected. Not a majority by any means, but it was common enough that you certainly wouldn't be the only ones masked in a given area. I thought CMs were masking at a much higher ratio too, certainly more than during my February trip this year.

We only wore ours on the plane and my mom got symptoms and tested positive a few days after the trip, and then likely passed it to me as I got symptoms a little over a week after we got back. I do wonder if we would have avoided it with more mask usage, too late now.

One place I will have to remember to mask up is World of Disney. That store is wayyyy more crowded than any ride line lol! That's the main place where I wished I masked up. Although I don't often mask up in stores anymore since I am rarely in close contact with other shoppers.

We will bring our masks with us for our Christmas trip. Don't plan to use them extensively - but occasionally when we feel they will be particularly useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter