Is Disney World becoming a shell of its former self?

sometimes when I read posts like this I wonder if I have been living in some sort of alternate universe. When hasn’t Disney been expensive??? The only expense that has been added is genie+ everything else has increased historically the same.
Yeah it's always been expensive but the value was a lot better in years past with the perks you got for staying on site.

As someone new here, I thought it was pretty funny to see this thread title and then open it to discover it was posted in 2015.

They probably had similar messages posted in the back of theme park magazine in 1985!

I’ve only visited WDW three times: 1990, 2007, and 2023. The last visit is the one that really hooked me and now we’re going again in December.

Value is always a moving target. Companies ebb and flow depending on what the market can handle. They will provide perks when they feel it necessary to compete and remove them when they don't. IMO you should really compare value between competition in the industry today, going back through history doesn't tell the whole story it allows the narrative to focus solely on what was appreciated and doesn't being up potential shortcomings of the time. In other words, a case of member berries

Their value isn't what it once was either.
I do think Cabana Bay is a pretty good value especially since it's priced similarly to Pop Century/Little Mermaid AoA rooms and has better amenities but the actual rooms look like they need a refurb.

I can't bring myself to pay $800/night for Hard Rock though, sorry.

As someone new here, I thought it was pretty funny to see this thread title and then open it to discover it was posted in 2015.

They probably had similar messages posted in the back of theme park magazine in 1985!

I’ve only visited WDW three times: 1990, 2007, and 2023. The last visit is the one that really hooked me and now we’re going again in December.
I always find this interesting, talk to someone who recently became hooked, and they'll tell you how much they love Dis, and all the great parts about it. Talk to someone who has been hooked since birth, and all you'll hear is how it used to be so much better. I think people have put unfair expectations on Dis and maybe been a bit spoiled. You're a good example as to how Disney is still finding new people who find value with what they're offering and constantly growing their base

Value is always a moving target.
Value is also in the eye of the customer. It's not quantitive. We still find tremendous value and find our time at Disney magical. While some would try to have you believe stays in the past were so much better and 'perfect', I realize their were imperfections over the past 50 years at Disney, as well. The rose-colored glasses tend to gloss over that for some, which is fine! For those who don't find value, they can find it someplace else. We still plan to go and enjoy it in our own way!

My stance is that yes, WDW is not as good as it once was but the value is way better than other theme parks I've been to. Not referring to Universal, but other parks in the US. It's why I pay for a WDW annual pass when I could go to Hershey Park, Six Flags and King's Dominion which are relatively close to me.

I also find it funny that this thread is from 2015 when a lot of people would and still are saying that Disney provided so much more value. It just seems to be revisionist history. Is it really that bad, or are people just never satisfied.

My opinion is that Disney pushed perks through extended hours, fast passes, etc. because they weren't innovating enough at the time (circa animal kingdom completion until new fantasy land timeframe). So, if they wanted people to be enticed into doing a lot of the same things over and over again, they had to make it worth it, hence free meal plans, extended hours, free fast passes, etc. Now that they have been nonstop adding to the parks, and there is something new year after year, they have been able to step back on those enticements, and they have now moved into the new rides and tech to draw in crowds. They aren't providing value in a "more for less" model anymore, it has shifted to a model where there is always something new and creative drawing you in, and that at least for me is where I see the value. Sharing a brand new experience with my wife and daughter is incredibly valuable to me personally.

Last edited:
My stance is that yes, WDW is not as good as it once was but the value is way better than other theme parks I've been to. Not referring to Universal, but other parks in the US. It's why I pay for a WDW annual pass when I could go to Hershey Park, Six Flags and King's Dominion which are relatively close to me.
I shudder when thinking about Six Flags America…

There’s plenty of single day savings opportunities for those parks too and really anything beyond a day or 2 is more than enough for me in a given season.

Park ops at those parks leave something to be desired for attractions, and food/beverage.

I shudder when thinking about Six Flags America…

There’s plenty of single day savings opportunities for those parks too and really anything beyond a day or 2 is more than enough for me in a given season.

Park ops at those parks leave something to be desired for attractions, and food/beverage.
Not even joking when I say that Six Flags America is the worst theme park I've ever been to. Give me Disney any day, please.

I also forgot to include Busch Gardens Williamsburg in my post but eh that's stretching it since it's like a 4 hour trip from me.

But yeah those are my main two issues with those parks. QS chicken tenders and burgers are almost double the price at a Six Flags compared to WDW and taste 4x worse.

Not even joking when I say that Six Flags America is the worst theme park I've ever been to. Give me Disney any day, please.

I also forgot to include Busch Gardens Williamsburg in my post but eh that's stretching it since it's like a 4 hour trip from me.

But yeah those are my main two issues with those parks. QS chicken tenders and burgers are almost double the price at a Six Flags compared to WDW and taste 4x worse.
IMO Busch Gardens is a great park. Especially if you get a season pass with dining. Yeah the food isn't always great at those parks but give me high thrills over theming any day.

The theming I loved at Disney is a thing of the past.

IMO Busch Gardens is a great park. Especially if you get a season pass with dining. Yeah the food isn't always great at those parks but give me high thrills over theming any day.

The theming I loved at Disney is a thing of the past.
Yeah I enjoyed the one in Tampa a lot. Theming was better than I expected for that type of park. Have never been to the one in Williamsburg.

I do think the theming at Guardians isn't great (ride is amazing though) but I wouldn't say I agree with that. Disney is still leagues above other parks in terms of theming.

What have they doen so differently?
Maybe it's no so much the theming as the rides. What I grew up with was themed rides like Horizons and World of Motion. Both had amazing storytelling, lots of AAs and had substance.

A lot of the new attractions I find are too flashy and quick paced. IMO they are trying to add in more thrills but they aren't as good as other parks do it. For my family we don't go to Disney for thrills we go for immersive dark rides. They aren't as good as they once were.

Yeah I enjoyed the one in Tampa a lot. Theming was better than I expected for that type of park. Have never been to the one in Williamsburg.

I do think the theming at Guardians isn't great (ride is amazing though) but I wouldn't say I agree with that. Disney is still leagues above other parks in terms of theming.
I will agree theming is better at Disney compared to most other parks. As far as Guardians goes, iMO it's an average coaster. People love it for the music and theming. The coaster itself is not that thrilling. Not when you compare it to Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City.

I had posted on another thread comparing our Universal Orlando and WDW visits last month. We liked UOR and will probably go back when the new park opens. But WDW still has magic to us that was not present at UOR, by a significant degree. Maybe it's my 70 year association with the brand that makes the magic - I don't know. And I'm as critical of the company's management as anyone on these boards.

I just hope and pray it doesn't get frittered away.

I will agree theming is better at Disney compared to most other parks. As far as Guardians goes, iMO it's an average coaster. People love it for the music and theming. The coaster itself is not that thrilling. Not when you compare it to Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City.

I don't even think the theming is that good, it's just fun lol

I had posted on another thread comparing our Universal Orlando and WDW visits last month. We liked UOR and will probably go back when the new park opens. But WDW still has magic to us that was not present at UOR, by a significant degree. Maybe it's my 70 year association with the brand that makes the magic - I don't know. And I'm as critical of the company's management as anyone on these boards.

I just hope and pray it doesn't get frittered away.
i agree, when we did UO there was just something missing it doesn't seem as "immersive" as Disney. Harry Potter is fantastic, but the walkways seemed a bit small and some of it felt cheap. The 3 broomsticks for instance could have been so much more than what they ended up doing with it. UO has always felt to me like you're walking around in a museum where you are supposed to look but not touch, Disney has always been more than that in my mind, but i'm having a hard time quantifying it. Maybe that's what makes the magic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter