Is going during the 50th worth it?

Year of a Million Dreams was amazing. We caught the end in '08 & got some extras with it. Made for a magical trip.

The 50th as others have said unless you want special 50th treats/snacks or merchandise (what's available) is nothing extra great fantabulous. And this is coming from somebody who WAS at MK on October 1st. Was being there THAT day fun? Sure. Would I have made the trip if I didn't live locally & have an AP? Doubtful. It would have been too costly for me. I don't have a single souvenir that is anything to do with the 50th cause shopping lines were outrageous that day & I haven't seen anything I must have since. Having been to the parks multiple times since that day it doesn't feel any "extra" to me. Yes it's always a nice fun day at Disney, but again I am driving in, staying a few hours & going back home. Sometimes all I spend is gas money. I can't imagine the $1000's others are spending to be there.

I know Covid has played somewhat of a role in this, but Disney was just lacking on this event overall IMO. They went with the theory everyone will come regardless cause "IT'S THE 50TH" plus all the people who had postponed their trips were coming anyways & they didn't really step it up like they could have. Honestly I am more interested in how thing will look a year from now once all the new stuff finally opens.

Last edited:
We were there the second week of Dec in 2021 and I was pretty disappointed. Mostly because the Castle wasn't all dressed up in her twinkly lights. In the past, this has been my favorite part about the Christmas season's decorations. Since the 50th anniversary is supposed to be going for 18 months, I don't envision that her twinkly lights will be back this year either. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think there is anything that special about the 50th. Just got back from a busy spring break week. And I'd say sure, if you feel like going, why not. There will be crowds, but there are crowds everywhere that seems to be worth going to these days. I wouldn't hesitate to go again based on last week's experience. I am, though, glad DH who hates crowds stayed home.

We just took out time, used Genie +, toured at leisure, etc. For us at a park like Epcot, we mostly looked at flowers, listed to live performances, ate food booth food, etc. I thought it was fun, but I'm kind of a Disney diehard and others in my party are too.

I was there for year 1 and year 25 too. Did some cool then/now photos which I think are so fun. We always stay offsite to keep costs lower too FYI.
Kathy,

If you care to post them, it sure would be great to see some of your "Year 1/Year 25/Now" pics!

IMO, the best part has been the lights on Spaceship Earth. I get emotional every time I see the show. I am assuming/hoping they stay past the 50th, though.
I think they will stay around. They spent a lot of money to install them and have been creating new shows. A lot of vloggers have said it's the best part of the 50th, and I would agree. I had totally forgot it was installed for the 50th. Luckily, Epcot's 40th is coming up, so they should at least be there for that.

Year of Million Dreams far superior. Disney in my experience is damaging their brand. Disney leadership should be replaced. He found most things overpriced. 50th mechandise items out of stock. Other items of low value at excessive price in stock. Hearing countless guess complaining about lots of things throughout each day. Lines, charging for what was free. Providing less services while doubling pricez. One that was often heard regarding 50th food at Epcot not available, but promoted and advertised. All the guest were right and on target. We will seek other vacation destinations

I think the castle looks great at night. Much better in person than photos I’ve seen.

I wish there was more merch. I want a fridge magnet or an ornament that doesn’t cost $50. I really wanted the 50th Starbucks Been There mug but it’s replaced with a boring black mug.

With the cost for less. Nothing at Disney, worth it, anymore.
And I got to figure if you go, you're going to get cheated.

In the times we have gone in the past, seemed Disney was always celebrating sometime.....25yr of this or 35yr of that. I think it is just clever marketing to try to get more people to attend. Nothing wrong with that, but certainly not a reason to go if you hadn't otherwise planned to be there.

Like others, I wouldn't go just because it's the 50th, if you are going anyway that's different. I actually didn't want to go during the 50th because I thought it would be a mad house. Then I realized it would most likely last up to 18 months and didn't want to stay away that long. I've been twice since the 50th started and am going back in a couple of weeks. Other than the retro merch. I haven't really been that impressed. Like others, I do like the SSE lights but I certainly wouldn't go just to see those.

Kathy,

If you care to post them, it sure would be great to see some of your "Year 1/Year 25/Now" pics!
Here is my niece 30 and my son 26 last week for the 50th. Here are me and my brother at the same place 50 years earlier, the first year the park was open. Both were March trips too. Too fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0965 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0965 - Copy.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00011 (28).jpeg
    IMG00011 (28).jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 10
IMO, the best part has been the lights on Spaceship Earth. I get emotional every time I see the show. I am assuming/hoping they stay past the 50th, though.

Completely agree. That was spectacular.

Otherwise, the crowds, limited menus and often lackluster service didn't make it magical.

We typically buy at least a t-shirt. Most looked cheap--thinner fabric, too. The clincher was an attractive long-sleeved denim with a pretty Mickey-Minnie Christmas design. Upon closer look, it was only a flimsy synthetic with denim-look printed on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter