• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it difficult to get a DAS is you suffer from mental illness?

sandgrace

DIS Veteran
We're heading to DLR next week and then to WDW in May. I've been debating whether to get a DAS because I feel embarrassed about asking for it since there's such a stigma with this disease. However, with the progression of my illness I know that I can't wait in long lines and it will ruin our vacation if I don't get it. Worrying about getting the DAS is causing me even more anxiety, has anyone else been through this? Is it as difficult to get a DAS as I'm worrying that it will be for someone like me?

DAS qualification is based on needs, not diagnosis. So you won't have to mention your diagnosis. Just explain why you cannot wait in lines.

If you haven't already, please check out the DLR & DCA - Disability Access Service Card sticky near the top of this forum.

Enjoy your vacation!

Depends on what the mental illness does to cause it to be difficult to wait in the normal line. Remember though, when you come back you go into the FP line which still means a line and a wait of some sort. So you would have to explain what the NEEDS are.

As someone who deals with general anxiety disorder (especially bad with social anxiety), OCD, PTSD, and depression (not to mention severe (as in panic attack inducing) claustrophobia), I get the stigma about mental illness. I have experienced it myself. However, I can not think of a way a DAS would help ME in my specific situation. It might be different for you. Which is why it is need based instead of diagnosis based.

Depends on what the mental illness does to cause it to be difficult to wait in the normal line. Remember though, when you come back you go into the FP line which still means a line and a wait of some sort. So you would have to explain what the NEEDS are. As someone who deals with general anxiety disorder (especially bad with social anxiety), OCD, PTSD, and depression (not to mention severe (as in panic attack inducing) claustrophobia), I get the stigma about mental illness. I have experienced it myself. However, I can not think of a way a DAS would help ME in my specific situation. It might be different for you. Which is why it is need based instead of diagnosis based.
I have major depression and anxiety my main concerns are that I won't be able to stand and wait in long lines because my anxiety gets out of control. Since I've been a DL regular for all of my life I've been coping with long lines, however the last few years I haven't tolerated the long lines very well so I end up not going on some rides with my family. I end up just sitting somewhere and resting and feeling horrible because I'm not able to enjoy Disney like I used to. I'm guessing that I should just tell the CM about my anxiety issues when requesting a DAS, and go from there. I'm just worried that I'll be denied a DAS and that may end up really ruining our trip. Well I guess I need to just give it a try and see what happens...the sad thing is that mental illness is usually so invisible that people don't understand how much it affects all aspects of life. I'm so used to hiding my suffering and it's going to be difficult to relay my needs to a CM that's a stranger to me. I'll give DAS a try because my family really needs a vacation that we can enjoy together without me sitting on the sidelines.

sandgrace said:
I have major depression and anxiety my main concerns are that I won't be able to stand and wait in long lines because my anxiety gets out of control. Since I've been a DL regular for all of my life I've been coping with long lines, however the last few years I haven't tolerated the long lines very well so I end up not going on some rides with my family. I end up just sitting somewhere and resting and feeling horrible because I'm not able to enjoy Disney like I used to. I'm guessing that I should just tell the CM about my anxiety issues when requesting a DAS, and go from there. I'm just worried that I'll be denied a DAS and that may end up really ruining our trip. Well I guess I need to just give it a try and see what happens...the sad thing is that mental illness is usually so invisible that people don't understand how much it affects all aspects of life. I'm so used to hiding my suffering and it's going to be difficult to relay my needs to a CM that's a stranger to me. I'll give DAS a try because my family really needs a vacation that we can enjoy together without me sitting on the sidelines.

I hear what you are saying, and recognize the frustration you have in explaining your concerns. I suggest you work on your explanation. "I have anxiety and can't tolerate waiting in long lines" probably isn't going to get you far. Explain your physical symptoms.
But as others have pointed out, there are still lines even with DAS; lines are inevitable and cannot be completely avoided. You should also work on your coping mechanisms to help you through those situations. If this is something that has gotten worse in recent years, it could be beneficial to speak with your doctor about it as well.
Enjoy your vacation.

sandgrace said:

What is long? When you use a DAS you come back and go into the FP line. This will still mean waiting in a line that is crowded and full of people. The FP line could easily be 15+ minutes on its own as it is simply supposed to be shorter then standby (and this happened even before the new FP system).

What causes the anxiety? The crowds themselves? Not being able to "escape" if needed? Something else? I can tell you for me it is a mixture of being in the crowd and a feeling that i can not get out. I have had panic attacks at disney before (at les chefs because the jerk kid behind me wouldn't keep his chair pulled in so i has no space for example).

A good touring plan has done wonders for me in the parks. Way more then a DAS ever would. A touring plan and using FP really really helps for avoiding longer waits. I suggest Easywdw and Touring Plans for these things. I also do not go at the busiest times of the year because i know the crowds would be too much for me.

Do you have coping mechanisms in place to help? Have you seen your doctor or a psych? Are you taking medications? I am not asking for answers, but simply wanting you to think about it. Talking to a psych and getting on meds was the best thing i ever did for my issues. I just want you to look at all avenues to help you out... and not just for disney.

I hear what you are saying, and recognize the frustration you have in explaining your concerns. I suggest you work on your explanation. "I have anxiety and can't tolerate waiting in long lines" probably isn't going to get you far. Explain your physical symptoms.
But as others have pointed out, there are still lines even with DAS; lines are inevitable and cannot be completely avoided. You should also work on your coping mechanisms to help you through those situations. If this is something that has gotten worse in recent years, it could be beneficial to speak with your doctor about it as well.
Enjoy your vacation.
I'm really concerned about waiting in 40+minute lines, being that close to other people in closed in spaces for very long sets off my anxiety and I start to get panic attacks and exhaustion then starts to set in. The depression causes mental and physical fatigue, so shortening the lines, and not waiting in a typical line environment would help me. I'm constantly working on coping skills meditation anti-anxiety meds, and I'm working with my doctors too...it just seems that my illness is treatment resistant for some reason, and so far I haven't had much success in finding much relief for any length of time.

What is long? When you use a DAS you come back and go into the FP line. This will still mean waiting in a line that is crowded and full of people. The FP line could easily be 15+ minutes on its own as it is simply supposed to be shorter then standby (and this happened even before the new FP system).

What causes the anxiety? The crowds themselves? Not being able to "escape" if needed? Something else? I can tell you for me it is a mixture of being in the crowd and a feeling that i can not get out. I have had panic attacks at disney before (at les chefs because the jerk kid behind me wouldn't keep his chair pulled in so i has no space for example).

A good touring plan has done wonders for me in the parks. Way more then a DAS ever would. A touring plan and using FP really really helps for avoiding longer waits. I suggest Easywdw and Touring Plans for these things. I also do not go at the busiest times of the year because i know the crowds would be too much for me.

Do you have coping mechanisms in place to help? Have you seen your doctor or a psych? Are you taking medications? I am not asking for answers, but simply wanting you to think about it. Talking to a psych and getting on meds was the best thing i ever did for my issues. I just want you to look at all avenues to help you out... and not just for disney.
The thing that causes my anxiety most recently in waiting in the closed in cues for over 40 minutes with the people really close to me. I do kind of get the feeling like I can't get out, and I really don't like spending a long time that close to other people. We do have a touring plan and plan to arrive at the parks at RD about everyday to get things done early, and I've also planned using the Easywdw calendars too. Unfortunately, we have to travel at busy times due to my child being in school, and right now she can't afford to miss school so we have to go at her breaks.

I was just hoping DAS could fill in for me at those times when the stand by lines are very long, and yet we want to be able to ride without me getting too anxious.

After a divorce and my son's symptoms from Autism increasing to the point of needing to be hospitalized, all occurring at the same time I started to have Panic attacks. I know how scary they can be.

It was suggested that I try DBT (dialectical behavior therapy). It is the best therapy for panic attacks. I rarely get panic attacks now and the few times that I do have a panic attack, I now know what to do to stop the symptoms from the attack.

One of the tools used is an ice pack on the neck. There is a scientific reason for how the ice pack works. Go to your pharmacy or Walmart and ask the pharmacist where you can find the ice packs that you snap and shake to activate the cooling feature. Usually they come two to a box and are very inexpensive. Once you feel your anxiety rising just activate the ice pack and keep on your neck. This may help you to manage the wait for the fast pass+ line. I know this does not answer your original question but maybe it can help. Definitely check out the DBT therapy. Firefighters, those diagnosed with terminal diseases, those who have lost loved ones, all types of people who have developed panic disorders for various reasons use this treatment option. Google it to get more info.

Good luck.

The thing that causes my anxiety most recently in waiting in the closed in cues for over 40 minutes with the people really close to me. I do kind of get the feeling like I can't get out, and I really don't like spending a long time that close to other people. We do have a touring plan and plan to arrive at the parks at RD about everyday to get things done early, and I've also planned using the Easywdw calendars too. Unfortunately, we have to travel at busy times due to my child being in school, and right now she can't afford to miss school so we have to go at her breaks. I was just hoping DAS could fill in for me at those times when the stand by lines are very long, and yet we want to be able to ride without me getting too anxious.

Will you be traveling with anyone? Could they, perhaps, stand sentinel, so to speak and keep you from getting boxed in too tightly? I get panicky in crowded spaces too. I was fine for my trip(but I've been in therapy for my anxiety for a whole now and I'm finally getting relief in general)

If people from your party stand in like behind you, working with them you should be able to control how close you are to both them and the people in front of you.

After a divorce and my son's symptoms from Autism increasing to the point of needing to be hospitalized, all occurring at the same time I started to have Panic attacks. I know how scary they can be.

It was suggested that I try DBT (dialectical behavior therapy). It is the best therapy for panic attacks. I rarely get panic attacks now and the few times that I do have a panic attack, I now know what to do to stop the symptoms from the attack.

One of the tools used is an ice pack on the neck. There is a scientific reason for how the ice pack works. Go to your pharmacy or Walmart and ask the pharmacist where you can find the ice packs that you snap and shake to activate the cooling feature. Usually they come two to a box and are very inexpensive. Once you feel your anxiety rising just activate the ice pack and keep on your neck. This may help you to manage the wait for the fast pass+ line. I know this does not answer your original question but maybe it can help. Definitely check out the DBT therapy. Firefighters, those diagnosed with terminal diseases, those who have lost loved ones, all types of people who have developed panic disorders for various reasons use this treatment option. Google it to get more info.

Good luck.
I have never heard of DBT therapy, and none of my doctors have even suggested it. Thanks so much for mentioning this I will totally google it and try it out.

Will you be traveling with anyone? Could they, perhaps, stand sentinel, so to speak and keep you from getting boxed in too tightly? I get panicky in crowded spaces too. I was fine for my trip(but I've been in therapy for my anxiety for a whole now and I'm finally getting relief in general)

If people from your party stand in like behind you, working with them you should be able to control how close you are to both them and the people in front of you.
Yes I'll be traveling with my DD9 and DH, and they do stand next to me which sometimes helps and other times not so much. I really think that it's the length of time that really starts to get to me as my mind starts racing.

Something else you may want to look into is neurofeedback therapy. My DD is doing it for ADHD, anxiety, and a mood disorder. Her therapist told me a large portion of her adult patients are doing it for anxiety and panic attacks and having really positive results. My DD is experiencing really positive results for her ADHD, anxiety, and mania symptoms.

I hear what you are saying about waiting in lines and closed spaces for over a certain amount of time but just so you know fastpass return times can be long and in enclosed areas (Indiana Jones and Star Tours are two that come to mind).
My son is autistic and has similar issues, he doesn't want people touching him unless it's me, he freaks in enclosed spaces and can't be in lines for more than a certain period of time.
We have problems with Indiana Jones, Space Mountain and Star Tours for example because the fastpass return times are longer and they are in enclosed areas (Tower of Terror is another one). He wants to ride the ride but wants out of that situation asap. We try to re-direct and distract. It may work for you it may not.
We bring along a tablet ipad like device as well as his Nintendo DS and allow him to play it while waiting in line as it makes him focus on that. It doesn't work all the time not even close but if it can get him through one time it is worth it (as opposed to a meltdown)
Try it........ it may help.
Re-direct and distract.

Re-direct and distract is a great tool for anxiety. In fact,shutting down the racing thoughts and automatic negative thoughts are huge in managing your anxiety. My phone is a huge help because I can play a game and distract until I'm feeling better.

First off, if you son is unable to wait in line then he should have no problem getting a DAS. If he can wait in like with accommodations then he doesn't need any accommodations. I know You have an issue with people with hidden disabilities. It's up to the OP to explain why she can't wait and up to the people she's presenting to to decide if she needs one. Frankly, having suffered from anxiety, badly, I wouldn't go until mine was controlled but this isn't about me. Actually, when my anxiety was not under control I couldn't have gone. I had agoraphobia. My husband had to carry me out of the house screaming and crying.

Big fun, those days

Although I think just the heat intolerance should get your child a DAS regardless if he/she is in a wheelchair. I think you should explain that issue when you go. Have you tried and were turned down? Just curious.

Your child doesn't get a DAS because the wheelchair serves as a DAS it is the same thing and gets the same things that a DAS does, if you actually wanted the piece of paper in your hand for it you can ask them for one but because the cast and crew can see your child is in a wheelchair no piece of paper is required.
Therefore your lashing out at other people is hardly called for because you do have a DAS, not getting why you are saying you don't, nor that your child doesn't qualify for one.

Your child doesn't get a DAS because the wheelchair serves as a DAS it is the same thing and gets the same things that a DAS does, if you actually wanted the piece of paper in your hand for it you can ask them for one but because the cast and crew can see your child is in a wheelchair no piece of paper is required.
Therefore your lashing out at other people is hardly called for because you do have a DAS, not getting why you are saying you don't, nor that your child doesn't qualify for one.

Actually, the wheelchair is not the same as a DAS and does not get the same thing. People with a paper DAS are allowed to go on other attractions, get a snack, wait in an air conditioned store, or whatever else they might want to do during their time in "line." The wheelchair does not provide these above-and-beyond privileges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter