• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it difficult to get a DAS is you suffer from mental illness?

Actually, the wheelchair is not the same as a DAS and does not get the same thing. People with a paper DAS are allowed to go on other attractions, get a snack, wait in an air conditioned store, or whatever else they might want to do during their time in "line." The wheelchair does not provide these above-and-beyond privileges.

Which makes perfect sense, because if the guest's needs are met with a wheelchair, then he or she can wait in the accessible standby lines.

Which, BTW, are normally out of the sun, which would address the overheating issue.

There are obviously people in wheelchairs that have other needs that would require a DAS. However, it is up to the guest, or in this case, the parent, to explain to Guest Services why the wheelchair and accessible line won't meet the guest's needs. Simply saying "my child is profoundly physically disabled" shouldn't and won't get a DAS for that child.

I think the DAS might help.

ONE reason I get it for my (adult) son, is that if something bad happens, we can probably get OFF the FP line lots easier than deep into a 40-90 minute regular line. And he is in a large Conviad chair on the lines, no easy way to slip out of line (my son's case is not aniexty, but other things, including #2 toileting accidents, sorry for that detail but trying to explain.)

My daughter has aniexty and social issues, so I understand the difficulty of the OP.

I felt awful describing my son's toileting issues outloud to get his DAS. And HE has no understanding of what I am saying, it does not embarrass him, at least. They kept saying the WC (convaid chair) would solve everything, and I knew it would not, so I had to spell it out in horrible detail. :crazy2: (he has autism, downs, non-verbal, balance and vision issues, etc etc)

OP just be aware that ride lines are not the only times you are going to be in an enclosed space crammed in with people. Just to get to the MK you either have to go on a monorail which can be crammed with people in an enclosed space and if it gets delayed on the track you can't get off, a crowded bus, or the ferry which can be quite crammed in and no way out in the middle of the lake. Make sure you are thinking about all times not just the rides.

I think if you don't think you can handle a line, I'm not sure how you will handle the above situations and a DAS can't help with those.

I think you need to use a good touring plan and don't get into lines that are over 20-30 minutes, I know we don't, we make that choice. Be there at RD and hustle between the rides you don't have FP+ for.

I am not closing this thread because people have been giving good advice on dealing with anxiety.

It has come THIS CLOSE to being closed.
If someone is being argumentative, insulting or anything else unpleasant, please do not engage, just report it.

For all posters, this is a link to Disney's FAQs page about DAS.
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...Disability-Access-Service-Card-2014-04-08.pdf

IF a guest thinks they or their loved one may qualify, the procedure is to explain their needs related to their disability and how those needs impact their ability to wait in line.
If the guest has a wheelchair, those needs MAY be met by using the wheelchair in line. If the guest has other additional needs that are not met by using the wheelchair, they would need to explain those additional line related needs to the CMs at Guest Relations.

OP just be aware that ride lines are not the only times you are going to be in an enclosed space crammed in with people. Just to get to the MK you either have to go on a monorail which can be crammed with people in an enclosed space and if it gets delayed on the track you can't get off, a crowded bus, or the ferry which can be quite crammed in and no way out in the middle of the lake. Make sure you are thinking about all times not just the rides. I think if you don't think you can handle a line, I'm not sure how you will handle the above situations and a DAS can't help with those. I think you need to use a good touring plan and don't get into lines that are over 20-30 minutes, I know we don't, we make that choice. Be there at RD and hustle between the rides you don't have FP+ for.

And I think this is something to carefully consider. It may be worth waiting a year to get the anxiety under better control before a trip because crowded boxed in places are just unavoidable. My anxiety is well controlled and I didn't have any issues, but I've been aggressively working on my anxiety issues for 18 months using EMDR. I understand the panic while feeling trapped. I had a panic attack at Costco during sample day. ;) To me, missing out on the trip while I was on it would be worse than waiting for me to be better in control of my anxiety.

I had a panic attack at Costco during sample day. ;)

I had my first panic attack in Costco. I thought I was having a heart attack and they had the ambulance come and bring me to the hospital. I was so embarrassed. It took me years before I would shop there again.

Maybe Costco pumps something in the air that triggers panic attacks. :lmao:

I think the DAS might help. ONE reason I get it for my (adult) son, is that if something bad happens, we can probably get OFF the FP line lots easier than deep into a 40-90 minute regular line. And he is in a large Conviad chair on the lines, no easy way to slip out of line (my son's case is not aniexty, but other things, including #2 toileting accidents, sorry for that detail but trying to explain.) My daughter has aniexty and social issues, so I understand the difficulty of the OP. I felt awful describing my son's toileting issues outloud to get his DAS. And HE has no understanding of what I am saying, it does not embarrass him, at least. They kept saying the WC (convaid chair) would solve everything, and I knew it would not, so I had to spell it out in horrible detail. :crazy2: (he has autism, downs, non-verbal, balance and vision issues, etc etc)

We have a brand new Convaid chair for our daughter. It is the stroller (Metro) style but really doesn't look like a typical stroller. Will we need the stroller as wheelchair sticker to be able to take it in line? And like you the Convaid only helps her with some major issues so we too will need the DAS for many of the same issues you describe.

We have a brand new Convaid chair for our daughter. It is the stroller (Metro) style but really doesn't look like a typical stroller. Will we need the stroller as wheelchair sticker to be able to take it in line? And like you the Convaid only helps her with some major issues so we too will need the DAS for many of the same issues you describe.

Las time at DL I did not get the use stroller as a WC sticker until the last day. One of the kiosk CMs insisted we needed it, which made me laugh, it was day 6 of our trip. But no problem, I took it. DS has the Convaid Scout model.

I almost think it would be easier to enter City Hall with DS NOT in the chair, so they do not get fixated on using the chair means we do not need the DAS. Not trying to be "sneaky" at all, but when they see a WC/Convaid they seem to try and shut you down and not listen to your situation…… all very polite and professional, just that they repeatedly interrupted me and said the chair would suffice. I felt frustrated, and had to keep calm, and NOT yell out, "hey, he gets constipated on vacations, and sometimes poops his pants, with no warning, and I need to get him out of line FAST if this happens, because he is an adult and it is gross!" Plus he is not in his chair for all lines, like Space and Soarin', where it is too hard for me to push him up and down the hills anyway. Use your imagination for those lines and what has happened. I just wondered if we walked in without his chair, if it would have been quicker. It was not a big argument, just a conversation, that I had to say, I think he really needs this DAS, after they told me it would not help him.

I like that cold pack idea for aniexty, I will tell DD about that. She even missed a year of HS for this problem, it was severe then, but better now. Therapy helped, and medication for 1-2 years. Off meds now, and doing pretty good, but she has to avoid crowds like concerts, bars/clubs, etc.

I have major depression and anxiety my main concerns are that I won't be able to stand and wait in long lines because my anxiety gets out of control. Since I've been a DL regular for all of my life I've been coping with long lines, however the last few years I haven't tolerated the long lines very well so I end up not going on some rides with my family. I'll give DAS a try because my family really needs a vacation that we can enjoy together without me sitting on the sidelines.

As a PP suggested, maybe think about not doing WDW until your issues are more manageable. You have had many Disney trips in the past, so perhaps after the DLR trip, you might consider a family trip somewhere else where you can spend time with your family and not on the sidelines, as you put it. WDW will be there when you are ready to tackle it.

Stay hydrated and stay cool. I had a panic attack this weekend because I got hot and was drinking more coffee than water and got dehydrated.

I think the DAS might help.

ONE reason I get it for my (adult) son, is that if something bad happens, we can probably get OFF the FP line lots easier than deep into a 40-90 minute regular line. And he is in a large Conviad chair on the lines, no easy way to slip out of line (my son's case is not aniexty, but other things, including #2 toileting accidents, sorry for that detail but trying to explain.)

My daughter has aniexty and social issues, so I understand the difficulty of the OP.

I felt awful describing my son's toileting issues outloud to get his DAS. And HE has no understanding of what I am saying, it does not embarrass him, at least. They kept saying the WC (convaid chair) would solve everything, and I knew it would not, so I had to spell it out in horrible detail. :crazy2: (he has autism, downs, non-verbal, balance and vision issues, etc etc)

I completely understand having to explain things to people, as I was at City Hall explaining my son's autism and the things that come up with it (and sometimes it's toileting issues with us too) Tyler starts to moan and say "Mom do you have to tell everybody?" my son is 8 and though classified as moderate to severe he is higher functioning in that he is verbal and academically tests a full grade higher than what he is in. His major problems are social and emotional/behavioral.
I went to his school during my normal volunteer time to find Tyler walking to the office his his aide and another aide and it was obvious he was upset and had been crying. He had a stain on his pants and Tyler insists that it is fine but since we live down the block they asked if we wanted to take care of it (they don't do that in public schools) and I said yah let me take him home get him changed and I'll bring him back, Tyler melted down. threw himself on the ground etc. Tyler loves school (I will take that as long as I can because I know that doesn't last forever) and loves his computer lab time which is what he was missing and this was a major change in his schedule.. The minute we got in the car he admitted he lied and did in fact poop in his pants. I was like were you just going to keep it like that the rest of the day? My son does not like wiping himself when it comes to #2. This was his second accident like that, that day (he had one while getting dressed in the morning) so I ended up keeping him home so I wouldn't have to go there a third time.
Now we are dealing with that it is state testing time and it is a major change to his schedule and if he needs a break to ask for it etc.
I understand.
We all understand.
But let's remember that we are here to help each other we are all in this together.

I just wanted to say I love your autism awareness ribbon as your avatar and where did you get it?
It is autism awareness month and we just did the autism walk fundraiser and booths and all this past Saturday.
Thanks!

My husband is a war veteran with PTSD. We used a DAS for him last time we went to Disneyland as a family. I used to wait in line while my husband and daughter went somewhere more quiet and less crowded. I would text them when I neared the front of the line and they would join me when it was about time to get on the ride. The DAS worked perfectly for him and we got to spend much more time as a family on our family getaway. There are still some lines he just can't do, like Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. We tried Space Mountain last time and had to leave after a couple of mins. A CM took pity on him and said he could go through the back entrance, but he was so amped up that we declined. Pirates and Indian Jones he avoids all together. Playing a game on his Kindle helped him while in line. I also stand behind him and create somewhat of a pocket of space between him and the people behind us. And he gives the people in front of us a few feet of space. We also left the park during peak crowd times and hung out at the pool or relaxed in the room. There were a few times were he had to leave to go back to the room by himself because he was having a hard time.

My husband's PTSD is pretty under control and we know what his triggers are and avoid them as much as possible. If your anxiety isn't under control, Disneyland is probably not the best place for you. But if you can manage through distraction and redirection, and accept that you may need more breaks than the rest of your party (with or without a DAS card), you will be fine. Explain your needs to a CM at Guest Relations, I have found them to be willing to accommodate.

I just wanted to say I love your autism awareness ribbon as your avatar and where did you get it? It is autism awareness month and we just did the autism walk fundraiser and booths and all this past Saturday. Thanks!
Gosh it has been so long ago since I made this avatar. I probably got the ribbon from somewhere like google images and then edited it to be the correct size and to add my DD's name. She is 11 now so that was probably 8 years ago. We do the autism walk in October. :-)

Gosh it has been so long ago since I made this avatar. I probably got the ribbon from somewhere like google images and then edited it to be the correct size and to add my DD's name. She is 11 now so that was probably 8 years ago. We do the autism walk in October. :-)
Wow!
Doesn't seem possible she could be 11.
I remember when she was really little and you were on here planning how to manage her first trip :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter