• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Harry has a duty to the Queen and this country. He has failed in that duty.

If he is still being paid by the taxpayers then I agree with you.

I hadn't paid any attention to what was going on with them but I just read up. Here is a quote
“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honor our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.

It sounds like he (or they) haven't failed, they are just not devoting 100% to that duty any longer.

Last edited:
So, I have always "prided myself" in putting family first. Since I married, I've worked, been a SAHM, worked part time, worked full time, chosen a starter home, moved to a different neighborhood with better schools, spent less time with extended family, spent more time with extended family, etc. etc. etc. We've based our decisions not on just finance or status, but on what we honestly feel works best for our family at any given time. I feel actual pride about the decisions we've made and why.

Why then, did I read the Royal family news and immediately feel myself rolling my eyes and judging? I'm such a hypocrite! (My second response was "good for them" but I'm surprised it was my second response.)

Anyway, anyone want to discuss either the issue or the news or both? What have you done to put family first? Is it okay, preferable, wrong? Does society have misplaced loyalties? (I'd certainly venture to say so in the case of the royal family, but I've even heard it in the case of SAHM being judged for "setting women back" etc.) Does society prioritize doing what gains status or promotes a cause vs. what might be best for the individual? Or should we generally do what's best for the "whole?"

My initial response was also “whatever, who cares.” I think it’s because their life is exceptionally privileged yet they have done nothing but whine since they married. Go off, do what you want, but don’t act life your current existence is Soooo hard.

Also, the article I read said, they are only actually giving up what they get from the Queen. Harry will still have millions via Charles. So, what’s the big deal?

I don’t sacrifice for my DS b/c I want to be a martyr or get credit but b/c his well-being is more important to me then anyone else’s.
I think you are missing my point. It's not necessarily what you want but what happens. Nothing wrong about it in the right time frame. If you are still putting their wants before your well being once they are grown perhaps it's time to rethink.

It is? I get the fame being brutal. Not sure if the job is.

I don't know. The shoes the ladies all wear look pretty difficult to me lol.

Maybe demanding is a better word? It isn't hard in the sense that trying to find a cure for cancer is hard, more in the sense of "your life is no longer your own."

This article is interesting. https://writeroyalty.com/royal-work-statistics-2018-annual-edition/ Prince Charles attended more than 500 engagements in 2018. It's not all tiaras and world travel.

I don't know. The shoes the ladies all wear look pretty difficult to me lol.

Maybe demanding is a better word? It isn't hard in the sense that trying to find a cure for cancer is hard, more in the sense of "your life is no longer your own."

This article is interesting. https://writeroyalty.com/royal-work-statistics-2018-annual-edition/ Prince Charles attended more than 500 engagements in 2018. It's not all tiaras and world travel.

But Charles IS next in line to the throne. I would expect his duties would be much more demanding and rigorous. I doubt Harry and Megan have anywhere near that level of obligation.

I don't care one way of another really, but it doesn't surprise me actually. From what I do see about the situation it seems that reality is not exactly what Megan was expecting.

But Charles IS next in line to the throne. I would expect his duties would be much more demanding and rigorous. I doubt Harry and Megan have anywhere near that level of obligation.

I don't care one way of another really, but it doesn't surprise me actually. From what I do see about the situation it seems that reality is not exactly what Megan was expecting.

No but he is much closer to the throne than Anne is and Anne worked much more than he did.

I agree, I think Meghan was expecting more sunshine and roses and less work and criticism in the press. Although, as previously stated, she was reportedly obsessed with Princess Diana when she was younger and would have been well aware of the press attention on her and their link to her death. She was a fool for thinking marrying one of Diana's sons wouldn't bring the same kind of attention.

No but he is much closer to the throne than Anne is and Anne worked much more than he did.

I agree, I think Meghan was expecting more sunshine and roses and less work and criticism in the press. Although, as previously stated, she was reportedly obsessed with Princess Diana when she was younger and would have been well aware of the press attention on her and their link to her death. She was a fool for thinking marrying one of Diana's sons wouldn't bring the same kind of attention.

Who said she didn’t expect it? Motherhood changes people. Calling her a fool is unnecessary.

Although the privilege and money would be fabulous, I would have a very hard time with all the media attention and scrutiny. Not sure the trade off would be worth it to me. I don’t blame them for wanting to take a step back, but I’m not sure that they handled the announcement as well as they could have—I heard that the rest of the family found out through social media—that doesn’t seem right to me.

The Royal Family and the tabloid press got his mother-perhaps Harry is making sure they don't get his wife, too. Along with the burden of being loathed by the press, Meghan has the underlying trial of racism as well to deal with. If they want to go and have a separate life, so be it. Harry is a combat veteran, he gave to his country and look how he was repaid.

I don't know much about this, but what responsibilities does someone who is not directly in line for the throne have? Don't most people in the royal family get less involved as their position in line number changes? I don't know that the fact that he married a celebrity or an American, has anything to do with that.
While I had barely heard of her show on a bottom tier cable channel, I'd never heard of her nor her blog. She was a C list celebrity at best before she met Harry.

Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, Presidents, Prime Ministers, Pope, Celebrity...

Doesn't matter. They are all just people. Just a human like the rest of us. No more or less special. They can and should do what works for them.
Except they have more money and more privilege than the 99.999% of us. They are just entitled, elitists that are out of touch with reality. I hope they find their financial independence that they claim they want....what a joke.

The Royal Family and the tabloid press got his mother-perhaps Harry is making sure they don't get his wife, too. Along with the burden of being loathed by the press, Meghan has the underlying trial of racism as well to deal with. If they want to go and have a separate life, so be it. Harry is a combat veteran, he gave to his country and look how he was repaid.
All excellent points. 👍🏻

Every person has the right to put their family first as long as it does not harm to any other human being. My husband, children and parents are always foremost in all my decisions.

I think the derision online comes from the Royal couple seemingly enjoying all the perks that go along with their existing status however not seeming to be willing to also understand that the public is wanting them to allow a glimpse into that “golden life”.

It will be interesting to see how much they “give up” - nannies, bodyguards, maids, chauffeurs etc all add up as do the costs of designer wardrobes. Meghan was only worth a few million before marrying Harry - their wedding alone was reported to have cost over £30 million. Harry was left the lion share of his mother’s estate as William will receive more from his father. All those costs will have to come from somewhere and if they don’t want to do the work, then the Royal family will no longer be expected to cover those bills.

I cannot believe anyone would be naive enough to have expected the level of scrutiny would be so intense once you marry into the Royal family - they are of some importance to approx a 1/3 of the world‘s population.

Good luck to them by all means but stand on your own two feet - pay for your lives and everything that entails from your hard work with minimal handouts from wealthy family members.

It's 100% You cant have your cake and eat it too..

I read their statement and the infos on their newly vampled website.. I wish them well as the palace door hits them in the bum on the way out. They are simply pretentious. In a nut shell from what I read. it comes down to this.
They will give up money from the royal fund thing which only makes up 5% of their expenses. Thewy will continue to live part-time in a mansion gifted by the Queen, along with about 4 million in tax payer paid renovations. And live from daddy's Duchy of Cornwall handout.. Now duchy of cornwall and said manison are "privately" held by the Windsors Ironic as the royals think the duchy of Cornwall is a private entity, which it is. but most Brits view that as part of the royal heritage/lineage which it is.. ... So technically they can think the public is stupid enough to except this as being" financially independent".. they also stated that their security decal is to remain the same.. Paid by taxpayers

they have recently trademarked their titles so this moved allows them to also make money. Whether this money is used for charity or themselves is not clear.

IMO, if they want respect, dump the titles, and dump the family handouts even if "private". I laughed when I read their statement..

morning press is also reporting that the palace knew nothing, had no imput, hench that wierd statement from the palace... charles was livid... Just really shocks me as I would htink Harry would have more respect for the crown... I am sure who was raised knowing that in his position he has other responsibliites as a normal person.. If he didn´'t want that then please pull out completly.. not we wanted reduced responsibilities to the crown On our terms but still want the benefits...

Last edited:
Prince Harry is to Prince William what Princess Ann is to Prince Charles and yet look how differently they conduct themselves. Princess Ann, now in her 70s I believe, takes on more engagements than any other Royal, did not accept ‘titles’ for her husband(s) or children and does nothing to draw media attention to herself. How many of you know anything about her husband or children (American DiL) and grandchildren?
No one suggests that growing up a ‘spare’ is easy, but given the obvious sense of duty demonstrated by the majority of the Royal family, Prince Harry must realise that this is a burden he also carries. As someone else posted, he served his country in the armed forces, again requiring a sense of duty. Isn’t his behaviour now akin to a trained soldier refusing to serve when he/she is posted?
The Queen and Prince Philip are in their 90s, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall in their 70s: Fate may determine that Prince William becomes King within 5 or 10 years. This is the time for Prince Harry to step up, his call to arms and he should do his duty and serve his country.

The Queen and Prince Philip are in their 90s, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall in their 70s: Fate may determine that Prince William becomes King within 5 or 10 years. This is the time for Prince Harry to step up...

I can see this, because William can only be in so many places at once, but...

As someone else posted, he served his country in the armed forces, again requiring a sense of duty. Isn’t his behaviour now akin to a trained soldier refusing to serve when he/she is posted?

I can also see it more like a soldier who already did a tour, and chooses not to re-up in order to be there for his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter