• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't bother me if others want to discuss the Brit Royals, they just don't affect my life.
As for "Mommy Martyrdom"....that's when you give up part of your wants and possibly needs to ensure the future and well being of other members of your family. I don't knock myself down to do that anymore. My children are grownups now so if I want a white couch, I buy it; if I desire a fur coat (yes, I wear them;) I'm going to get it since I've no worries about braces, extracurricular activities for children, etc. Just a different mindset and I'm happy moving on to it. Was happy when the kids were growing up too. Yes, I'm raising my DGD but that's because I want to- NOT because I have to. For me there's a difference. :fish:

Why do you have to include the term "Martyrdom" in your phrase? How about the more correct word "Responsibility"? Otherwise, it just makes a person sound like an immature selfish brat who probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place, KWIM? People who choose to have kids (or have unprotected sex and get pregnant) aren't being martyrs for giving up things to raise a child correctly. they re being responsible, mature adults.

Prince Harry has a duty to the Queen and this country. He has failed in that duty.

Just because he was born into the royal family doesn't mean he has to stay there. That would be a form of slavery, wouldn't it? Even indentured servants could get out of their contract eventually.

I know why **I** am rolling my eyes over it. It's because Meghan Markle should have known exactly what sort of media craziness she was getting herself into when she married Prince Harry. And if she's saying that she had no idea...well duh, Google is your friend, lady. Wake up out of your little world and get a clue. I hear that they have lots of them on sale at Walmart. Buy one, get one free.

I am also rolling my eyes big time at their announcement that they want to establish their own financial independence. So on the one hand, great! Go for it. But on the other hand, good grief. You're going to need a heck of a lot more monthly gross income with the regular security detail that you're going to need.

I also bet that after a few years, they'll be back in the UK for more of the calendar year because the weather of the Canadian frozen tundra will get to them.

“Canadian frozen tundra” lol that’s a bit much. They spent 8 weeks over the holidays in BC where the weather is very temperate And MM was a resident in Toronto for years so it didn’t seem to bother her.

“Canadian frozen tundra” lol that’s a bit much. They spent 8 weeks over the holidays in BC where the weather is very temperate And MM was a resident in Toronto for years so it didn’t seem to bother her.

Well, I live in Arizona, so anything below 70 degrees here and everybody breaks out a winter parka. We are delicate desert flowers here, you know. So yeah...it's the frozen tundra up there. :)

£As a brit I am shocked and disgusted by Harry and his wife, they want to have their cake and eat it. They have stated they want to keep the FOREIGN royal duties to be paid by the royal family, they want to KEEP Frogmore cottage updated by £2.4 million taxpayers money, they want to KEEP the £650000 a year security. They have trademarks for many items

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ns-turn-Sussex-Royal-brand-global-empire.html
They have done this all while his grandfather's health is bad his grandmother is 93 and was planning on stepping down and allowing a regency ( that won't happen now because of this) I am sorry but I see his wife totally behind this she wanted to come into the royal family and make it work how she wanted it to and it doesn't work like that. perks have responsibilities and I think this has a lot to do with jealousy between Meghan and Catherine being as Catherine will become Princess of Wales and then Queen Catherine queen consort. There was a lot of talk about how for the wedding Meghan was offered a choice of several tiaras to wear but she was told no to that one but Eugiene had it for her wedding. It was said that Harry said what Meghan wants Meghan gets and it really looks like they tried it on and where told NO. If he is serious then no making money on being royal and accept being just Mrs and Mr not Prince or duke

Prince Harry is to Prince William what Princess Ann is to Prince Charles and yet look how differently they conduct themselves. Princess Ann, now in her 70s I believe, takes on more engagements than any other Royal, did not accept ‘titles’ for her husband(s) or children and does nothing to draw media attention to herself. How many of you know anything about her husband or children (American DiL) and grandchildren?
No one suggests that growing up a ‘spare’ is easy, but given the obvious sense of duty demonstrated by the majority of the Royal family, Prince Harry must realise that this is a burden he also carries. As someone else posted, he served his country in the armed forces, again requiring a sense of duty. Isn’t his behaviour now akin to a trained soldier refusing to serve when he/she is posted?
The Queen and Prince Philip are in their 90s, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall in their 70s: Fate may determine that Prince William becomes King within 5 or 10 years. This is the time for Prince Harry to step up, his call to arms and he should do his duty and serve his country.

I love reading about Princess Ann! I think she is so overlooked when it comes to the royal family. I would love to hear so much more about her and her family than Harry and Meghan.

I'm not a British citizen, so I'm not steeped in the historical traditions of the British monarchy. Take my biased American point of view with a few grains of salt.

That disclaimer having been said, I've been thinking a little more about this topic and I have some more thoughts. :-)
  • the British press are obsessed with the royal family. Always have been, always will be.
  • there's probably an intense amount of pressure within the royal family to ensure that everything seems put together and "just so" all of the time.
  • that can be super hard to manage when you're also raising little kids.
  • On the other hand, Prince William and his wife seem to be doing a pretty stellar job at that. My uneducated & biased opinion of them is that they seem to be very genuine people, caring, warm, love their kids very much.
  • they should have at least informed the rest of the royal family before their big announcement. In a big global family "business" like theirs, you pretty much kind of have to do that. It's a little like a senior executive at a big company announcing to the entire corporation that he/she is leaving effective X date, but he/she didn't give a personal notification to his/her immediate supervisor/boss (the CEO).
  • I don't care about their pet projects on stuff like climate change when they're galavanting around on jet planes, so they can go stuff it on their preachy things like that. It's hypocritical. On the other hand, I don't really care about any of their opinions on any of the world's topics and I am not going to be making any charitable donations to anything just because Prince Harry & Meghan think it's a swell thing.
  • I wish them all the best in raising their baby. That's an exciting and joyous thing.
  • Aren't they going to "keep" their "cottage" (aka mansion)? And didn't the UK taxpayers shell out millions to pay for renovations? It's hard to say that you're financially independent when you basically got a massive windfall like that from your subjects. They'd gain my respect on that if they paid the money back to the British government. But I'm not holding my breath on that.
  • Aren't they trademarking their name, too? Bleh. Gag me with a spoon. Whatever. As if I'd buy something just because Mr. & Ms. Hoity Toity say it's a good thing.
  • If I were a UK citizen, I'd probably be thinking right now, "Good! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! We're all sick of your nonsense!"

£As a brit I am shocked and disgusted by Harry and his wife, they want to have their cake and eat it. They have stated they want to keep the FOREIGN royal duties to be paid by the royal family, they want to KEEP Frogmore cottage updated by £2.4 million taxpayers money, they want to KEEP the £650000 a year security. They have trademarks for many items

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ns-turn-Sussex-Royal-brand-global-empire.html
They have done this all while his grandfather's health is bad his grandmother is 93 and was planning on stepping down and allowing a regency ( that won't happen now because of this) I am sorry but I see his wife totally behind this she wanted to come into the royal family and make it work how she wanted it to and it doesn't work like that. perks have responsibilities and I think this has a lot to do with jealousy between Meghan and Catherine being as Catherine will become Princess of Wales and then Queen Catherine queen consort. There was a lot of talk about how for the wedding Meghan was offered a choice of several tiaras to wear but she was told no to that one but Eugiene had it for her wedding. It was said that Harry said what Meghan wants Meghan gets and it really looks like they tried it on and where told NO. If he is serious then no making money on being royal and accept being just Mrs and Mr not Prince or duke

The comments section of that Daily Mail article was a very entertaining read!

Prince Harry is to Prince William what Princess Ann is to Prince Charles and yet look how differently they conduct themselves. Princess Ann, now in her 70s I believe, takes on more engagements than any other Royal, did not accept ‘titles’ for her husband(s) or children and does nothing to draw media attention to herself. How many of you know anything about her husband or children (American DiL) and grandchildren?
No one suggests that growing up a ‘spare’ is easy, but given the obvious sense of duty demonstrated by the majority of the Royal family, Prince Harry must realise that this is a burden he also carries. As someone else posted, he served his country in the armed forces, again requiring a sense of duty. Isn’t his behaviour now akin to a trained soldier refusing to serve when he/she is posted?
The Queen and Prince Philip are in their 90s, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall in their 70s: Fate may determine that Prince William becomes King within 5 or 10 years. This is the time for Prince Harry to step up, his call to arms and he should do his duty and serve his country.

I agree that Princess Anne has conducted her duties quite well. I disagree that she's analogous in relationship to Charles' position as Harry is to William's in that her entire adult life she has been no higher than 4th in line to the throne and therefore never personally wrestled with the constraints of being the "spare".

What I find unseemly is that this seems to have been a very calculated plan that took considerable time to hatch, yet it seems Harry didn't seem to take into consideration that it might have been kinder and helpful to those he claims to love and care about to inform them and discuss with them his plans before taking it to the press -- particularly when your grandparents are in their nineties and no doubt floundering with the bombshells flying over their second son.

The Royal Family and the tabloid press got his mother-perhaps Harry is making sure they don't get his wife, too. Along with the burden of being loathed by the press, Meghan has the underlying trial of racism as well to deal with. If they want to go and have a separate life, so be it. Harry is a combat veteran, he gave to his country and look how he was repaid.

Actually, a drunk driver is what got Diana. And Megan isnt some sheltered naive girl like Diana was, she was an adult, previous married, who had also sought out fame and fortune in acting before seeking more fame and fortune in marrying Harry. If anyone is to be felt sorry for over lack of privacy and the press, it is Harry who had no choice of the family into which he was born

I sort of agree with the bolded but then I sort of don't. Yes, it is unfortunate that Prince Philip's health is bad and the Queen is 93 but really, it's not like the timing will get better if they wait awhile. If they wait too long then his father will be King and I would imagine it would be even harder to leave at that point.

I did not know the Queen was considering a regency. That's interesting.

So, I have always "prided myself" in putting family first. Since I married, I've worked, been a SAHM, worked part time, worked full time, chosen a starter home, moved to a different neighborhood with better schools, spent less time with extended family, spent more time with extended family, etc. etc. etc. We've based our decisions not on just finance or status, but on what we honestly feel works best for our family at any given time. I feel actual pride about the decisions we've made and why.

Why then, did I read the Royal family news and immediately feel myself rolling my eyes and judging? I'm such a hypocrite! (My second response was "good for them" but I'm surprised it was my second response.)

Anyway, anyone want to discuss either the issue or the news or both? What have you done to put family first? Is it okay, preferable, wrong? Does society have misplaced loyalties? (I'd certainly venture to say so in the case of the royal family, but I've even heard it in the case of SAHM being judged for "setting women back" etc.) Does society prioritize doing what gains status or promotes a cause vs. what might be best for the individual? Or should we generally do what's best for the "whole?"
What is SAHM acron mean?

It astounds me how much hatred people can have for people they've never met living in circumstances so incredibly different from their own. I have no real idea what "behind the scenes" life is really like for Harry/Megan - no idea if they fight with the rest of the family or if the rest of the family gives them the cold shoulder, maybe they're truly horrible people, or maybe they're stuck in a bad situation and are trying to get out it, blundering as they go? It truly could be any number of things in reality - but its crazy to me how people call Megan such horrible names and assume the absolute worse in her. Seems like a real lack of compassion in our world these days.

I find it hilarious that some Brits ***** about the monorachy and how much it supposedly costs them in taxes (which is next to nil, btw), but now that Harry wants to become financially independent and make his own money, it's somehow a problem. :rotfl: Can't have it both ways, tootsies.

It's 100% You cant have your cake and eat it too..

I read their statement and the infos on their newly vampled website.. I wish them well as the palace door hits them in the bum on the way out. They are simply pretentious. In a nut shell from what I read. it comes down to this.
They will give up money from the royal fund thing which only makes up 5% of their expenses. Thewy will continue to live part-time in a mansion gifted by the Queen, along with about 4 million in tax payer paid renovations. And live from daddy's Duchy of Cornwall handout.. Now duchy of cornwall and said manison are "privately" held by the Windsors Ironic as the royals think the duchy of Cornwall is a private entity, which it is. but most Brits view that as part of the royal heritage/lineage which it is.. ... So technically they can think the public is stupid enough to except this as being" financially independent".. they also stated that their security decal is to remain the same.. Paid by taxpayers
*Accept

I find it hilarious that some Brits ***** about the monorachy and how much it supposedly costs them in taxes (which is next to nil, btw), but now that Harry wants to become financially independent and make his own money, it's somehow a problem. :rotfl: Can't have it both ways, tootsies.
I did not say any of that, so I am puzzled as to why you quoted me.

People in glass houses and all that.😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter