• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is so much to address in these two posts. Unortunatly I do not have a lot of time today, and also lost my charge. :p

I will say this, None of us, obviously, know these people - unless we're part of the Markle or Windsor families. But we can read, and see things that are put out there. Some people have or do read more than others. I said it in a pp but give some credit to people for being discerning.

And I'll say it again, too. There is a trial coming up in London as a result of a lawsuit that MEGHAN filed against the Mail. Both Megan and Mr Markle will likely be called as witnesses AND a lot of information will come out. Some has already been supbeonaed. There will be no doubt as to whether Mr Markle had a heart attack and surgery right before the wedding, and whether Meghan authorized her "friends" to talk to People Magazine to tell untruths about Mr Markle that he felt the need to defend. So we shall see.

We also know that Harry is opposed to any contact with the press unless it suits him. I posted it a couple of pages ago but essentially Harry doesn't distinguish, he just hates them all.

For most people the first instinct is to speak up and attempt to defend yourself. That can sometimes be effective if you stick to the facts as they pertain to yourself and don't resort to flinging mud. Sometimes a situation is a catch 22, where opening your mouth, even with the facts, winds up reflecting badly on you. In those situations you are generally better off relying on leaving it be and letting the other party hang themselves, which they usually do.

When Meghan's father and that branch of the tree started talking to the press what could Meghan have said that would have reflected well on her, even if the truth were on her side? As far as communicating with her father it seems pretty clear that she already had confirmation that any private communication she attempted directly wouldn't resolve his issues and would open the door for further exploitation via the media as, even if he didn't take it directly to the press himself he was likely to share the contents with his other daughter, who demonstrably has an ax to grind. It's pretty clear both sides agree he was absolutely invited to not only attend the wedding, but also expected to walk her down the aisle. That demonstrates his daughter's intent to include her father in a way that honored him. How does that invitation result in his decision to allow the press to photograph him being fitted for the wedding? What did he need the press to communicate for him at that point?

When he received a reaction to this choice things spiraled further downhill. Repeatedly his choice is to "defend" himself -- from the consequences of his own choice that was undertaken for absolutely no understandable reason in the first place. Then the whole medical issue became public. Was it real? Very unclear. It may well be that was the mutually agreed upon reason to cover why he wasn't coming to the wedding afterall. There is the possibility he blinked about coming and the health reason was floated as a way for him to save face and not humiliate his daughter. It's entirely possible he, or he in tandem with his other demonstrably unstable daughter elected to then use the situation to their advantage when they didn't like the response received. Meghan and/or the palace would not want to publicly reveal they participated in perpetuating the medical charade and increase the humiliation.

All of those things could be true and it wouldn't mean Meghan is automatically wonderful and perfect. She could have some of the same aspects about her personality as well, I have no idea. She might react the way that she does to the actions of her father and sister because she's been burned before by the behavior (on a much less public scale). She might react the way that she does to the actions of her father and her sister because she sees right through it because she shares some of those traits. If so it seems that will out as time goes on and the pressures of the choices they've made for a new lifestyle come down on them. For my money the father and the sister have told us who they are and I believe them. It remains to be seen if Meghan tells us and shows us who she is. I personally have a hunch and will wait for time to tell me if I'm on the money or completely fooled.
I agree w much of what you've said. To the bolded. In the video I posted today, Mr Markle said that he was approached by someone in 2018, around the time of the engagement, saying that his image, basically was in the toilet, and that he could help him fix that. So naively, he took him up on it, with obviously disastrous consequences. I'm also not sure that he and Samantha are a team.

How do you know? Are you related to them, lived in their house? My parents where VERY good at putting on a show. Everyone thought that my Dad was a great guy, that he loved his family so much and did everything for us and put us first. It was all a show. Abusive people are very good at putting on an act and coming across as wonderful people. To the outside eye, it looked like our Dad "gave us so much" but the mental and emotional abuse is not something others see. If Meghan feels like she needs to distance herself, then I am sure that she has her reasons because no one pulls away from a loving family. A no one should disparage a person for doing what they feel is right for them because YOU DON"T KNOW what their family dynamic is like. I pulled away from my parents as an adult and my Mom passed about a decade ago. I could care less. I don't miss her and I don't like the person that she was. My dad is still alive, but I could care less about him either. I have zero regrets about cutting them from my life. No, that is not true, I regret not cutting them out sooner.
I don't disagree with you but Meghan in her own words has professed her love for her Dad. Sure, perhaps she could've being abused behind the scenes. But I have not read one word to that effect in the couple of years I've been following it - from anyone or any angle - so I don't really think that applies here. We'll see if more comes out during the lawsuit proceedings.

I don't disagree with you but Meghan in her own words has professed her love for her Dad. Sure, perhaps she could've being abused behind the scenes. But I have not read one word to that effect in the couple of years I've been following it - from anyone or any angle - so I don't really think that applies here. We'll see if more comes out during the lawsuit proceedings.

I was not implying that he was abusive, I was saying that none of us know what their relationship is like and I for one, am not going to call her out on cutting her dad out. She obviously has her reasons. And to disparage her and make him out to be some kind of victim in this is ridiculous. His own actions have shown that he does not have her best interest in mind.

We also know that Harry is opposed to any contact with the press unless it suits him. I posted it a couple of pages ago but essentially Harry doesn't distinguish, he just hates them all.

I agree w much of what you've said. To the bolded. In the video I posted today, Mr Markle said that he was approached by someone in 2018, around the time of the engagement, saying that his image, basically was in the toilet, and that he could help him fix that. So naively, he took him up on it, with obviously disastrous consequences. I'm also not sure that he and Samantha are a team.

I've said previously, Harry appears to be playing his mother's game with the press, something which is pretty astounding to me. The only thing that makes sense to me about that is he either shares some of Diana's struggles emotionally or it's a reaction to trauma, which he sadly did suffer in an unbelievably public way. I don't think it's fair to lay blame at Meghan's feet on this aspect of things, particularly since their relationship is so new and most things before marriage were long distance. He clearly doesn't hate all of the press, as he's seemingly given all access VIP treatment to one in particular who has put a lot of intimate information out into the public's view. Very, very bad decision IMO.

Assuming you're correct about how Mr. Markle was naive and taken in by the media, it stood to hurt his daughter, who at that point had said, dad, come walk me down the aisle at my wedding. How does it become her responsibility that a grown man with grown children completely disregards what he had no doubt been warned about -- talking to the press who were looking for anything at all they could publish about a rather unknown American actress who was marrying a prince? The daughter gets no leeway whatsoever for naivete about what it will be to step into the whirlwind, but her father (who is not a doddering elderly man) gets a pass?

Meghan may very well have her own culpability for things she's done to create this uproar, and I won't be the least surprised to find out that's the case. I'm merely suggesting she's far from alone.

And this aspect of the conversation doesn't even begin to delve into what may well be in play when it comes to the royal family and the back of house figures. I absolutely raise an eyebrow on a family who in the not very distant past selected a teenager with a very dysfunctional upbringing and family past based on suitable aristocratic background, youth/malleability, and probably her appearance didn't hurt to be a bride to a significantly older prince when they decided it was time he settled down. Then they ignored, criticized and pressured her without consideration of her personal needs or weaknesses. Talk about someone with an excuse for naivete!

I cannot believe I wasted time reading that hate-filled drivel. Whoever Catherine Ford is, she does not represent my views. I was amused by her making the comment that she is thankfully no relation to Doug Ford, until I read that line I would have bet good money that she was related to him based on her vitriolic comments in this article. What a horrifically bitter sounding women she is.

I live in one of the communities they are reported to be looking at and I can honestly say that I have no problem if they chose to live in my little slice of heaven that is Southern Vancouver Island. Family issues aside, I think it is a wonderful place to live and to bring up a child. Will there be a free-for-all at the beginning? Probably but people will get over it and hopefully calm the heck down and allow them to live in relative peace.
Yep, I live here too, very near where they are supposedly staying. H, M & A are perfectly welcome here by the locals, the press and paparazzi are NOT. Neighbours and businesses in the area have been coy with the reporters refusing interviews or just saying , a local boat charter company refused to sail reporters near the residence they are staying at. I sure hope they are given the peace and quiet they enjoyed while here over the holidays.

I live in one of the communities they are reported to be looking at and I can honestly say that I have no problem if they chose to live in my little slice of heaven that is Southern Vancouver Island. Family issues aside, I think it is a wonderful place to live and to bring up a child. Will there be a free-for-all at the beginning? Probably but people will get over it and hopefully calm the heck down and allow them to live in relative peace.

I hope you are right ... but all they've really done is stirred up a bees nest of interest that I honestly don't think was there before. That kind of attention does bring negativity to communities in many ways.

I don't think they will be living in a "community" at all. I think they will buy rural acreage, and 5 will get you 10 there will be a horse-breeding business on it. He is an avid horseman, and creating a working farm business will take care of the pesky issue of Permanent Residency. Then there will be a second urban residence, probably in Toronto, where she will found a film/TV production company. Production companies, however, have a tendency to kind of form and re-form in a nebulous fashion, and getting that business-owner residency requires creating reliable jobs, so I'm guessing that the solution will be a farm of some kind. The acreage will allow them the privacy they want, and a business on the grounds solves the legal problems. Also, the RF have been breeding animals for centuries; no one in the family will say a word about making money that way. Part of the allure of the southern end of Vancouver may be that there is a well-established polo club there.

I hope for the sake of communities that they do choose to go very rural. They might place their house away from camera lenses but they'll still be there, waiting. Sometimes your actions have the exact opposite results.

I do think both your financial endeavor ideas are good ones and maybe someday they actually will be independent. But for now they will continue to live off the Duchy.

Mr Markle is sought out due to his daughter's choice to marry into a high profile family. He doesn't have the resources to disappear into the woodwork, nor does he have security (or anyone) to run interference for him. He's been left on his own and totally unprepared as to how to handle the attention

The RF reached out to him to handle that just like they did MM's mother. He refused.

It’s been reported that they where offered the non royal life they are saying they want, but insisted they wanted the royal life. Now with the petty whinging because using sussexroyal on tee shirt etc isn’t allowed and reports that security could be as much as £20 million a year they are taking the piss out of the uk. The only thing is for the titles All the titles should be removed and they should live as mr and mrs Mountbatten winsdsor

If I were grandma I would take back their titles and frogmore. Charles should stop the yearly allowance to Harry. Let them truly fend for themselves.

It cracks me up when I hear Harry say that they want to earn their own way. Doing what? Selling T-shirts and mugs? Flying around the world on private jets so he can give speeches on climate change? Start a foundation? Maybe a new reality show?

I can imagine it sucks being born the second banana and all he needed was someone to whisper in his ear how unfair that is.

If I were grandma I would take back their titles and frogmore. Charles should stop the yearly allowance to Harry. Let them truly fend for themselves.

It cracks me up when I hear Harry say that they want to earn their own way. Doing what? Selling T-shirts and mugs? Flying around the world on private jets so he can give speeches on climate change? Start a foundation? Maybe a new reality show?

I can imagine it sucks being born the second banana and all he needed was someone to whisper in his ear how unfair that is.
Harry is entitled to money from his Mother's estate. Whether he has access to that yet or who controls it, I have no idea.

As I mentioned earlier, you know working members of the Royal Family are not allowed to have jobs outside of their royal duties. They did give up their titles, as they can no longer use HRH.

Because of who Harry is, they will always have security. That is non-negotiable, as it should be.

After what happened to Diana, I half expected William and Harry to abdicate when they reached adulthood. This really shouldn't come as a surprise.

I seem to recall the scuttlebutt when William was young, like early teens, that he did not want to be king and saw stories quoting Charles as saying he thought he would be the last king because William would abdicate if not abolish the monarchy entirely.....which I imagine isn't something he could do anyway but still. It does seem that William has come around to the idea though.

We all know Elizabeth has always put her duty to her country above her family, unfortunately. This is another situation where it could have been avoided if she would have done what was best for her family, instead.
I am not so sure that she did not try. It seems to me that when you marry into a high profile family that has very specific "rules to live by" you need to recognize that you and your family may not be able to sidestep the confines of those standards. I am not passing judgement on H&M choosing to "lead their own lives" but I find it a bit odd that they are upset at the loss of their privilege. People cannot have it both ways, but they can find a mutual compromise if they go through proper channels. While I have not followed this closely, it does seem that these two stepped outside the lines before determining if they would be hurting their extended family.

I don't know how one would properly balance home and family, as well as Country if one was a queen, but I do not believe for one minute that the Queen would not have tried to find a compromise for H&M had she been given the opportunity.

I am not so sure that she did not try. It seems to me that when you marry into a high profile family that has very specific "rules to live by" you need to recognize that you and your family may not be able to sidestep the confines of those standards. I am not passing judgement on H&M choosing to "lead their own lives" but I find it a bit odd that they are upset at the loss of their privilege. People cannot have it both ways, but they can find a mutual compromise if they go through proper channels. While I have not followed this closely, it does seem that these two stepped outside the lines before determining if they would be hurting their extended family.

I don't know how one would properly balance home and family, as well as Country if one was a queen, but I do not believe for one minute that the Queen would not have tried to find a compromise for H&M had she been given the opportunity.
She did have the opportunity, but choose to ignore it, so they went public. She didn't balance anything. By all accounts, she was a terrible absentee mother to her older children, was an awful sister to Princess Margaret and wasn't all that great of a wife, either (though her husband was no prize).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter