Is it still worth it to bring RV to Disney?

I jackknifed a motorcycle trailer into the back fender of me dad's thunderbird. The front tire rail cut into the sheet metal like a can opener. I didn't get in trouble because he did the same thing a couple of years earlier. Yup, the shorter the trailer the harder it is to back!

We went to the Fort for a ten day stay in July 2019. It was the first, and so far only, time we have ever camped at the Fort.
We thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone in our family agrees that it was our best WDW trip.

Aside from this year, we tend to go places in our camper an average of 30 nights per year, and that's almost entirely in our own state (Texas).

Staying in our camper at the Fort for ten days was a big expense for us since we are both educators. We paid $150 per night for a premium site. The site pad was big, but the site itself was very small. We were in loop 500, which was a convenient walk to the boats. Since WDW is not a yearly thing for us, we ate almost all of our meals somewhere on WDW property. This is something we save up for and we enjoy it. (When we camp otherwise, we tend to make most, if not all, of our meals at the camper.)
We enjoyed being able to return to our own housing at the end of a day in the parks. We had no concern for bed bugs or cleanliness since we clean the camper ourselves, and I can't overstate how much of a comfort this was to us. (On our previous two trips, we got sick due to additional shared spaces and possible less than clean rooms.) It was nice having some outdoor space to sit and enjoy, even if it was small.
Our children enjoyed the pool area, but they would have also enjoyed any given pool at a value resort.
Since MK is everyone's favorite park, we liked the convenient boat ride to the park.
We initially planned to drive our truck to the other three parks, but we were pleasantly surprised at how efficient the internal bus system was. So many on DisBoards have indicated that a golf cart is a necessity. (We would rather put that money toward dining out, so we will walk off both the calories and expense.) We liked the bus service; it was just as good, if not better, than our experience at the values.
July is known for its thunderstorms; the lightning was particularly bad when we were there. One person had truck and trailer damage due to lightning strike, and their truck wasn't even attached to their trailer! Disney set them up with nice accommodations, but that did not relieve them of what was likely an extensive repair bill or possibly totaling of two expensive vehicles.

The biggest negative (for us), was something out of the Mouse's control-- I 10 going through Louisiana. It's like driving on a staircase. We had water leaks, and the water pump screws loosened, and one water pump screw came out completely. We discussed taking a (longer) route through Louisiana on their smaller highways. The highway we would take would take would be better than the interstate, but would go through small towns with strict speed limits and lots of stoplights.
Having said that, I prefer traveling with our camper. It's nice to stop at a rest stop and have a picnic lunch. It doesn't take as long as a traditional restaurant, costs less, and is familiar.

We have a vacation planned tentatively for June 2022. We are on the fence. Financially, the Pop Century makes more sense for us. It's half the amount of money in gas, has the skyliner, and we would eat on Disney property anyway.

We draw of the Fort is more emotional--we truly prefer our own lodgings. It's comforting and comfortable.

We are currently debating a June 2022 stay at either the Pop Century in a standard room or a Fort Wilderness FHU site.

Was just looking at a weekend in the middle of March to maybe go down to celebrate my birthday. The premium site (only available) at FW was $25 more a night than staying at Pop Century. My mind is blown. I love the Fort and yeah I'll probably pay it but goodness mercy alive.

I saw that, too. I have a March birthday as well. We have been taking turns having a "Mickey birthday" (Disney birthday trip) and 2022 was supposed to be my year. Guess it won't be at the Fort, though. I did, however, make January reservations to camp there.

Was just looking at a weekend in the middle of March to maybe go down to celebrate my birthday. The premium site (only available) at FW was $25 more a night than staying at Pop Century. My mind is blown. I love the Fort and yeah I'll probably pay it but goodness mercy alive.

I grabbed full hook up this morning for 2nd and 3rd week March since I don't know yet which week is spring break for kids. DD will likely be in parade with HS band. This made price difference very little, but staying at Pop means you gotta buy Disney food which is major expense to consider. Given covid and everything else I'll stick to my own bed and bathroom for the price difference. Also, the school groups are packed in the values during spring break so I'll also take the peace and quiet for the little bit extra. I agree about the weird pricing of the Fort being more than a value.

I saw that, too. I have a March birthday as well. We have been taking turns having a "Mickey birthday" (Disney birthday trip) and 2022 was supposed to be my year. Guess it won't be at the Fort, though. I did, however, make January reservations to camp there.

January should be good time to be there. Crowds won't be as crazy and pricing much better.

I'll stick to my own bed and bathroom for the price difference

For sure, just still just blows mind That it’s jumped so much in just a few years. I think it’s got to be purely supply and demand at this point. Lots of folks bought campers during COVID.

For sure, just still just blows mind That it’s jumped so much in just a few years.

The 2021 average price increase for campsites was 9.9%.
The 2020 average price increase for campsites was 10.7%.
The 2019 average price increase for campsites was 5.8%.

That is WAY over regular inflation. (I didn't bother to go back and calculate any earlier than that but I have the data to).

Over on the Resorts board, somebody did a January 2022 to January 2021 comparison for hotels already today and they were in the 2-3% range. I don't know if the campsite rates will be similar and follow along that low or what. Will just have to wait till we can get all the data for 2022.

And they can always tinker with ticket prices.

I have another guess where this is headed which I'll tell you in Pigeon Forge if you care to hear it (specific to the Fort).

Bama Ed

For sure, just still just blows mind That it’s jumped so much in just a few years. I think it’s got to be purely supply and demand at this point. Lots of folks bought campers during COVID.

I know, blows my mind too.

I have another guess where this is headed which I'll tell you in Pigeon Forge if you care to hear it (specific to the Fort).

Bama Ed

I can tell you where its headed alright...

January 2022 to January 2021 comparison for hotels already today and they were in the 2-3% range.
I'm surprised they increased hotels with so many still closed. I guess controlling supply through sustained closures, keeps demand in check and supports an increase.

I'm curious what the increase for the campground will be for 2022. I suspect it will still be in the 10% range. There's only 1 campground and the same number of sites. Given how many of us booked sites for 2022, they have a good understanding of the demand.

j

I’m sure Disney realized RV sales are up with Covid and they increased rates to account for it.

The Fort is still cheapest for us as a family of 6 though :) My hubby was not sold on liking it as much as he did because Pop holds a special place for us...but he can’t wait to return. Camping is our game anyway, so it is logical to camp at the Fort since we already have the “room”.

The OP has decided on the trailer. But I am throwing out another idea for anyone else reading this in the same place. A month-long rental at a Residence Inn. That would be a bit in the middle between an RV and a hotel. The month-long rates are usually reasonable. You'd have a kitchen and could settle in. Plus, you'd have free breakfast.

The 2021 average price increase for campsites was 9.9%.
The 2020 average price increase for campsites was 10.7%.
The 2019 average price increase for campsites was 5.8%.

That is WAY over regular inflation. (I didn't bother to go back and calculate any earlier than that but I have the data to).

Over on the Resorts board, somebody did a January 2022 to January 2021 comparison for hotels already today and they were in the 2-3% range. I don't know if the campsite rates will be similar and follow along that low or what. Will just have to wait till we can get all the data for 2022.

And they can always tinker with ticket prices.

Bama Ed
Thanks for crunching those numbers. Wow, that is a big increase! I thought it felt like prices had gone up an awful lot just in the time since we discovered the wonderfulness that is the Fort in 2017.

I will go this year and maybe next then my fort time may be done. Dont get me wrong, its a great campground, but when my daughter starts to outgrow disney, it will not be on the to do list. We will see. One of the things that makes it worth it to me is i dont fly well. By that its not the fear, but i have bad sinus that cause major headaches that thankfully i can help with lots of medication. But those times when i had no idea i needed the meds is what i remember. So like a knife pain in the skull for a week after landing. As long as i have the time off to drive, i will. And if i am driving , i might as well pull the camper along for the ride. ( universal may be in the future , we will see).

The price for this years vacation was way more ticket and site wise then 2 years ago. So around the same time but i sware that it was like 1k more for just the tickets and the campground then last time. Very simmiler to a hotel stay. And if you do have a troop to take with you the campsite will be the better value, but I only have one kid.

I will go this year and maybe next then my fort time may be done. Dont get me wrong, its a great campground, but when my daughter starts to outgrow disney, it will not be on the to do list. We will see. One of the things that makes it worth it to me is i dont fly well. By that its not the fear, but i have bad sinus that cause major headaches that thankfully i can help with lots of medication. But those times when i had no idea i needed the meds is what i remember. So like a knife pain in the skull for a week after landing. As long as i have the time off to drive, i will. And if i am driving , i might as well pull the camper along for the ride. ( universal may be in the future , we will see).

The price for this years vacation was way more ticket and site wise then 2 years ago. So around the same time but i sware that it was like 1k more for just the tickets and the campground then last time. Very simmiler to a hotel stay. And if you do have a troop to take with you the campsite will be the better value, but I only have one kid.
I found my 2015 ticket receipt last week, and military tickets have gone up 67% in 6 years. Last year, we got 6 days for less than the cost of 2021's 5 day. Meanwhile, Universal is offering an amazing deal on military season passes. Legoland had great Black Friday deals. I have 2 preschoolers, so Disney will still be a part of our vacation plan, but it will probably be like this fall when we spent 2 nights at Ft. Wilderness, a day at Disney, a day at Seaworld, and several days at a Florida State park, rather than an exclusively Disney vacation.

I will go this year and maybe next then my fort time may be done. Dont get me wrong, its a great campground, but when my daughter starts to outgrow disney, it will not be on the to do list.... if you do have a troop to take with you the campsite will be the better value, but I only have one kid.

This is going to be an interesting one for us in the years ahead. We are a family of 5, so the less expensive hotel options aren't available to us. We have a small number of points through DVC, and have used FW as a way to gain a few more visits. As the kids become less a part of the travel picture, FW will become less and less practical. It's cheaper (and faster) to fly two of us down there than it is to drive the 1,300 miles each way, points go a lot further in studios (which is all we would need), and basic hotel rooms become an option for the two of us if we need a bit more time. It's also a lot cheaper to feed two of us without a kitchen than it is to feed five!

I have long-term hopes of more extended stays at the Fort in retirement, and we might try to sneak in a Halloween or early December visit now and then while we are still working, but I expect that the 'empty nest' pre-retirement years will include very little FW time.

My daughter is 30 and still hasn't outgrown Disney. She still joins us at the fort when her schedule allows. I just enjoy the space at the campsite more than a hotel room. I would rather sit outside than in a hotel room. But we also gave up all day touring a few years ago and spend more time at the camp site now.

when my daughter starts to outgrow disney,
My daughter is 30 and still hasn't outgrown Disney.
Hopefully you'll have one of those kids that keeps the magic. DS has been coming to Disney since he was 4. We thought the same thing, that as he got into his teens, that Disney wouldn't be "cool" anymore. He is 23 now and is a bigger Disney fan now than he was when he was 15. He is back in school now and is disappointed whenever we start discussing a trip when he has class. He can afford to fly down for a long weekend now, so he still can get a little taste.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter