is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

Wow, this thread has really upset me now! I'm making cute magnets for our family doors, and participating in FE exchanges. I'm horrified to think someone would not only steal our things, but things I spent time making and give to someone else!!
I must admit I personalized our fish extender with our names to put off thieves. Sad that I even had to think of that :(

I think there re lots of different variables in play - where your room is, what type of cruise is it? port intensive or sea day intensive? How full the cruise is. I know that gifts we gave one year were stolen from our friend's FE. We have always tied our FE to the fish using a cable tie. Yes people have moved our magnets around (on our own door mind!) but if it is something we really would be heartbroken to lose it is not on general display - it's not an invitation to help yourselves to our magnets btw! Try not to let the stories ruin a fun activity.

I thought since it was Disney, there are more people with manners. This was the case until I was watching this video of a family purposefully knocking them down.

It wouldn't let me post at the time in the video. Go to the 4:45 mark and watch.

You can read all about them here: http://growingupwiththemouse.blogspot.com/p/abo.html

Their next cruise is Aug. 2, 2017. Perhaps avoid that cruise if you want your magnets untouched? :)

Wow. I was considering magnets for our next cruise, but now, no way. Why are people such jerks? I guess I shouldn't have even thought about it as this type of behavior, unfortunately, doesn't surprise me. We stayed in the Walt Suite on the Magic last summer and one day some people thought it would be really funny to ring the doorbell at all hours. We were able to disconnect the bell, but it was just so mean and so disturbing. The enjoyment of your cruise is not dependent on the ruining of others'.

I thought since it was Disney, there are more people with manners. This was the case until I was watching this video of a family purposefully knocking them down.

It wouldn't let me post at the time in the video. Go to the 4:45 mark and watch.

These look like teenagers. By your wording "family" I thought it was going to be adults and children. Not excusing the behavior which is ridiculous.

Ug! What a bunch of brats!

They are adults. One is 17, the rest are over 18. It is just a lack of respect for what other people do. I know my daughter will spend hours making her door signs when we do decide to go. She saw the video and said she doesn't want to waste her time. She will still do it, but she will be upset if someone takes or damages one on purpose.

Did they actually take any magnets? I watched it twice and it looked like they were flipping them off the door and the one with the camera was putting them back on the same door? Sure not the nicest thing to do but no real harm done?

Any magnets that mean a lot to us and we want to keep, we put inside.

The only magnets that go on our door are the ones that I made and can be reproduced.

Our FE.....we check it often, and let our room host know we are participating in the exchange.

We've never lost magnets but I know some FE gifts disappeared on our last cruise because, like a previous poster, saw people post gifts from our group that we didn't receive. It makes me not want to do the exchange anymore, honestly.

I never had things taken off our door, BUT, I make it rather difficult to do. I have always put up fishing net over the door. It works well and looks cute. When I have a moment I will post a pic if I can find it.
There is a trick to hanging it so it can't easily be removed too, it takes a little work, but PM me if you want instructions. It helps I think because it takes too long to get sticky fingers under the net and nab a magnet, kind of like that ADT alarm sticker people have in front of their home....go to the easier door to get magnets that may not have a deterrent.
(I know some people that just have the sticker without an actual alarm:) )
As far as FE we zip tie it as well. I use toe nail cutter to get it off. As far as the gifts, well I don't know for sure. The only FE we participated in had 2 days of delivering, not because of control the FE, but as a security measure to prevent sticky fingers. I don't recall anyone stating items went missing.
The cruises after that were shorter ones and I opted not to do FE but always had that fish net covered door, so if you saw one it was probably us.
We started doing that back in 2012 after hearing about magnet theft I think on here....

I never had things taken off our door, BUT, I make it rather difficult to do. I have always put up fishing net over the door. It works well and looks cute. When I have a moment I will post a pic if I can find it.
There is a trick to hanging it so it can't easily be removed too, it takes a little work, but PM me if you want instructions. It helps I think because it takes too long to get sticky fingers under the net and nab a magnet, kind of like that ADT alarm sticker people have in front of their home....go to the easier door to get magnets that may not have a deterrent.
(I know some people that just have the sticker without an actual alarm:) )
As far as FE we zip tie it as well. I use toe nail cutter to get it off. As far as the gifts, well I don't know for sure. The only FE we participated in had 2 days of delivering, not because of control the FE, but as a security measure to prevent sticky fingers. I don't recall anyone stating items went missing.
The cruises after that were shorter ones and I opted not to do FE but always had that fish net covered door, so if you saw one it was probably us.
We started doing that back in 2012 after hearing about magnet theft I think on here....

Sending you a pm. We have walked past your door before. We thought it was such a cute and clever way to decorate your door. DH and I really admired it!

We've never had any magnets stolen or even moved on our door. Some are personalized but some are not. And as far as I can tell from postings on FB, we haven't had anything stolen from our FE. On our last cruise, someone pixie dusted most of our deck with magnets. You could tell because every door had the same magnet, including those with no other magnets on them. I also have pixie dusted doors with extra magnets I'd made.

I had planned on making the mickey body magnets that go around the big round stateroom number on the door. Has anyone on here made those and had them stolen? This is very upsetting because this will be my first Disney cruise and I have been waiting for years to do this and make these for my door :mad:
I bought my mickey and so it doesn't get stolen I'm writing my last name on his shorts I don't think any one will want it with a name on it

Sending you a pm. We have walked past your door before. We thought it was such a cute and clever way to decorate your door. DH and I really admired it!
PM-ed you back
And thank you. It's fun but a bit of work :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter