Is Mary Poppins Returns going to get an Oscar Nomination for best picture?

Why haven't any critics on Rotten Tomatoes rated it yet? Often, when a studio delays releasing advanced copies to the critics, it's because it's afraid of getting negative "buzz" from the critics before the movie opens.

I hope that's not the case. My DD knows someone who knows someone who was at the premiere (how's that for 3rd-hand info) and loved it.

Actress Emily Blunt, who plays Mary, is married to John Krazinski, and when he saw the premiere he reportedly was so thrilled for his wife, he cried.

I really hope it does well.

I hope it bombs. The trailers I’ve seen didn’t impress me and the songs I’ve heard sucked. Nowhere near the charm or memorability of the Sherman Bros’ songs. I AM thankful it’s a sequel rather than a remake.

Probably not. I mean at least I hope not. There are much better movies out there. A Star is born, for example.

Well, it got a nomination for a Golden Globe, and that's usually a precursor to an Oscar nomination, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't understand how movies that haven't even been released in theaters yet, are nominated?

With all the promotion, I'm wondering whether it's a bit of a dud. I hope not because I loved the original, and I think Lin Manual Miranda is a genius.

How can anyone judge it before seeing it? Always suprise me when things are nominated prior to thier relase dates.

I can’t wait to see it. Already planning it as our Christmas Eve family day.

I'm probably in the minority but the original movie is a bit boring. I hope this sequel will hold my attention more.

I'm probably in the minority but the original movie is a bit boring. I hope this sequel will hold my attention more.

I was a kid when the original came out. I've always loved the music, but found the story to be slow. I will see the new movie when it gets to TV. I won't spend money to see it.

My DD knows someone who knows someone who was at the premiere (how's that for 3rd-hand info) and loved it.
I'm on another (non Disney) forum where a guy who works in the industry saw a screening several weeks ago. He said it will win lots of awards and make $$$. He said few will be disappointed with this film.:)

It might. I'm not seeing it, but I know a lot of people are. I hate when movies get nominated before they are even out. I feel like the public is EXPECTED to think this is an amazing movie.

I'm on another (non Disney) forum where a guy who works in the industry saw a screening several weeks ago. He said it will win lots of awards and make $$$. He said few will be disappointed with this film.:)
So glad to read this. The Mary Poppins series had a lot of stories, so I'm looking forward to watching how these adventures go. Plus, I really like Emily Blunt and Lin Miranda.

I was a skeptic when I heard this project was in the works. So far the bits I've seen encourage me that this was approached in the vein of the original, so I've actually become hopeful that this will turn out to be quite a pleasant surprise treat.

I hope it bombs. The trailers I’ve seen didn’t impress me and the songs I’ve heard sucked. Nowhere near the charm or memorability of the Sherman Bros’ songs. I AM thankful it’s a sequel rather than a remake.
Yeah, we saw the trailer last week at the movies and my wife turned to me and said "boy, that really looks like it stinks"

Remakes rarely measure up to the original.

Funny how people can have a compete opposite reaction seeing a trailer. Lol. When I saw it I couldn’t wait to see it and am I am a huge fan of the orginal. On the other hand, I was not a fan of the bradway production. I will leave my judgement for this movie for once I actually see it.

Last edited:
How can anyone judge it before seeing it? Always suprise me when things are nominated prior to thier relase dates.

To be eligible for Academy Award nomination, movies have to be released in certain theatres of a certain size, in certain cities by a certain date. (Don't know the details. It's Googleable.) That's it. So many small movies with no budgets, and will never ever get a wide release, try to get their movies shown in those theatres to qualify for eligibility. Large studio movies will show in these specific theatres by the deadline just to qualify, then do their wide releases at a later date.

This is one of the reasons why winning an oscar is considered to be more about politics and a system than about great acting. A great little movie, with a fantastic storyline and great acting never gets considered as they didn't get their movies shown in the qualifying theatres. Meanwhile, big budget, studio movies, of course, blanket those qualifying theatres, do a wide release closer to voting time, then spam the voting academy with lots of advertising right before & during voting time, that their movies & stars should win. A movie released in, say, March, almost is never in contention to be nominated or win, even if it meets all the qualifying criteria. It was seen too far in the past for the Academy voters minds to be remembered :scratchin and then voted for.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter