Is sharing frowned upon?

sharing on the DxDDP is ideal from a food consumption point of view. an app, entree and dessert split is probably about right for most moderate (not light, not heavy) eaters. If you are a super light eater paired with a heavier eater it will work too. If you have two big eaters not so much... but then you have all of those snack credits and if you leave hungry there are tons of yummy options to have an hour later! Also you could always order a second app OOP if you want too and still come out ahead.

@Dakota731 I imagine you won't have a hard time getting 4 adults to agree on every meal. I don't get why people think it is that hard. How you describe it you are right $200 a day to feed 4 adults 3 meals while on vacation is not that bad at all plus you'd each get 1 snack credit a day.

The only issues you'll have is you can't share AYCTE and family style meals. So for those you'd have to use 4 credits instead of 2 so perhaps skip a meal that day to do that.

I believe you can use you DxDDP credits for QS as well so look at some of the bigger quick service meals that can be split easily.
Sure is in my house. We eat out a lot, at home and at Disney. Been married for 16 years. I can count on 1 hand the number of times DH and I wanted the same thing at a restaurant. And half of those were when we both wanted a pizza (we don't even like the same pizza toppings). I routinely have food left but when the other person doesn't want to eat it it doesn't do much good. I do feel bad about wasting so much food but not much to be done about it. At least we do bring it home when we are at home.

I'd guess that it is not all that normal for 2 adults to want to order the same things at all meals either. The norm is probably somewhere in between, where folks will want the same things sometimes and don't want the same thing others

OP, I'd probably browse over the menus where you plan to eat and see if you truly do all agree on 2 meals.

Sure is in my house. We eat out a lot, at home and at Disney. Been married for 16 years. I can count on 1 hand the number of times DH and I wanted the same thing at a restaurant. And half of those were when we both wanted a pizza (we don't even like the same pizza toppings). I routinely have food left but when the other person doesn't want to eat it it doesn't do much good. I do feel bad about wasting so much food but not much to be done about it. At least we do bring it home when we are at home.

If the OP is asking about sharing I would imagine it isn't that hard for her family. Sure it would be hard for your family but that isn't the case for all families. Often my fiancé and I have no problem figuring out something to share. His mother and sisters usually share as well so if the 6 of us went on vacation together we could figure out how to share 3 deluxe dinning plans worth of credit no problem. Now if we were going with his brother and nephews forget about it.

If there is a legitimate way to save money at Disney, do it. I think this is a good idea. And could be a good idea to get more TS meals out of a regular dining plan for a family that is all in the same room.

I don't disagree with the practice of splitting meals, I just disagree with splitting the DxDDP as it was never intended to be used. I think the OP would be much better off paying cash for all meals.

1) Pardon me.
2) But, HUH ?
3) The DDP ad DxDP have meal coupons to be used.
4) And, used any where and used any way the customer (aka: Guest) wants to use them.
5) Disney just wants the added revenue, and HUGE profit, from DDP and DXDP sales.
6) They do not care HOW they are used.

[/QUOTE]If the OP is asking about sharing I would imagine it isn't that hard for her family[/QUOTE]
I think it will be an exercise in compromise! I will go over it with my family, but we ARE on a budget and I figure it would be a way to try all kinds of food without wasting money or food!

My husband and I were thinking of buying the DDDP for he and I, then sharing with my grown daughter and her husband (in another room). That way each couple shares an entree, dessert and appetizer each meal.
I assume that you know your family the best. I know that *I* would be annoyed if my mother-in-law came up with a scheme for me to share all meals with someone else at the table. I also think that you will be limited to where you can eat while sharing meals. You won't be able to share at any buffet or all-you-can-eat places or signature dining (There is not enough food to share, I paid $48 for 4 freaking scallops at California Grill last week and $15 for a single ravioli) and if you use your DxDDP credits for CS meals you'll lose money.

I think that you need to make sure that your DD and her husband are on board with this scheme and that you do a quick spreadsheet to see if it makes sense for your family. It may in fact be cheaper to pay OOP.

I think it will be an exercise in compromise! I will go over it with my family, but we ARE on a budget and I figure it would be a way to try all kinds of food without wasting money or food!
It may benefit to do a quick review of the menus at the places on your radar and see if there are 2 meals that everyone likes/agrees on. If there are, then you may well be able to share. At least some meals. Some will still save money. But do check, since Deluxe dining plan is not cheap, and be sure it saves you money, even when it's feeding 4 for the price of 2. Because every time you use it for QS you are really loosing more money

I think you need to ask yourself what you will do if you get to a restaurant and some people refuse to share? Or if they do share and are still hungry....

I certainly wasn't trying to scam anyone! I don't see why Disney would care if we shared a plate OOP or on the plan? We did the dining plan before and used every credit, and my math calculations showed we came out ahead. But it was A LOT of food so I though sharing would be better on our waist lines!
Definitely not saying you were, nor do I care. In fact, I'm all for someone getting something FROM Disney instead of getting drained dry. I just figured with as many different ways Disney tries to prevent you from saving a buck, THEY would say it was scamming. I mean if they won't let you give paid for, unused days to another person, why would they let you give paid for, unused meals? See what I mean? I was just surprised to hear that they lightened up. I know they still say that everyone in the room has to be on the same package, so if there is only two people in one room, they aren't letting you buy only ONE dining plan and share.

I just figured with as many different ways Disney tries to prevent you from saving a buck, THEY would say it was scamming

In fact someone on another message board said when they called and booked their plan, they asked about sharing and the rep said "oh sure that's very smart" so not like I'm the only one that has explored this option to save money!

Or if they do share and are still hungry

Then we have plenty of snack credits to take care of that!

I assume that you know your family the best. I know that *I* would be annoyed if my mother-in-law came up with a scheme for me to share all meals with someone else at the table. I also think that you will be limited to where you can eat while sharing meals. You won't be able to share at any buffet or all-you-can-eat places or signature dining (There is not enough food to share, I paid $48 for 4 freaking scallops at California Grill last week and $15 for a single ravioli) and if you use your DxDDP credits for CS meals you'll lose money.

I think that you need to make sure that your DD and her husband are on board with this scheme and that you do a quick spreadsheet to see if it makes sense for your family. It may in fact be cheaper to pay OOP.

I think it is all in the way you look at things. I doubt my family would look at a plan that maximizes the credits we purchased and reduced teh waste as a scheme, but if they did, we would ever have considered it WE travel as an extended family often and one of the things that we all tend to agree on is how we like to dine. We understand that there is no sharing at buffets and AYCTE meals, but we seldom choose too many of those in a trip. One thing any one of us can count on it's that my DDIL will eat very little of her meal, will enjoy every bite, and that not oen of us would make her feel badly that she could not consume all of it. Add that several of us like the same foods, will be going back and forth between the same two entrees, and will often each order a different one so that we can try both, coming to a consensus on sharing an entree has never been an issue.

We do share at some of the signature restaurants, but that is becuase we share appetizers as well. We will order a few appetizers for the table and then if we share a meal, we can have some dessert.

I realize that all families are different, and all have their own dynamics, but honestly for those of us who are comfortable with this "scheme" we find it is the best of both worlds.

My daughter and her husband loved the idea of my "scheme" because they are thrifty as well! We all hate buffets and never do two credit meals or quick service so sounds like it may be a plan.

Same with my DDIL and DS, as well as my DD and DSIL. WE do enjoy a few buffets, as well as signature restaurants, but somehow manage to have plenty of food, enjoy it all, and seldom have to throw meals away that are half eaten.

I'd guess that it is not all that normal for 2 adults to want to order the same things at all meals either. The norm is probably somewhere in between, where folks will want the same things sometimes and don't want the same thing others

OP, I'd probably browse over the menus where you plan to eat and see if you truly do all agree on 2 meals.
I'm with you on this. I always end up really annoyed at the compromise when I share with my bf, lol. and we do like a lot of the same things but in a restaurant we don't often overlap in what we feel like eating at that particular moment and although we love the idea of sharing for saving money and calories, one or the other of us always ends up not really getting what we want. Which is fine sometimes but not how I'd want to approach a whole vacation. We just split a 12" sub at subway the other week and had a tiff because he is WAY more picky about what he wants on it than I am and I told him just get what he wanted and I'd eat the other half... he got mad at me for not telling him what I wanted and I told him I was in no mood for a protracted negotiation about sandwich toppings. It just adds a whole level of stress to the thing. Also on my last trip the meal I enjoyed least was one where I shared with my kid and let him pick the entree. It wasn't bad just not what I wanted and I did not enjoy it. Next time I picked and told him what he was getting and I enjoyed it more. :rotfl:

I'm with you on this. I always end up really annoyed at the compromise when I share with my bf, lol. and we do like a lot of the same things but in a restaurant we don't often overlap in what we feel like eating at that particular moment and although we love the idea of sharing for saving money and calories, one or the other of us always ends up not really getting what we want. Which is fine sometimes but not how I'd want to approach a whole vacation. We just split a 12" sub at subway the other week and had a tiff because he is WAY more picky about what he wants on it than I am and I told him just get what he wanted and I'd eat the other half... he got mad at me for not telling him what I wanted and I told him I was in no mood for a protracted negotiation about sandwich toppings. It just adds a whole level of stress to the thing. Also on my last trip the meal I enjoyed least was one where I shared with my kid and let him pick the entree. It wasn't bad just not what I wanted and I did not enjoy it. Next time I picked and told him what he was getting and I enjoyed it more. :rotfl:

LOL!!! You are not a candidate for sharing on vacation! LOL!

LOL!!! You are not a candidate for sharing on vacation! LOL!
I'm a fine candidate as long as I get my way! I used to like to share with my ex husband, he was very agreeable about just ordering what I wanted and sharing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter