Is spontaneity dead?

I think more important than a plan is being knowledgeable about the parks. Knowing that the shortest rides in the park are at RD or late at night, knowing that Peter Pan builds a line quickly, that Philharmonic, Country Bears and Tiki Room are nice for breaks (with shorter lines) mid day and lots of AC, that eating at 11 am or 2 pm for lunch is much less busier than eating at 12 pm, etc. To me that's more important than having a laid out plan.

I know that I could show up to the MK any day for RD, buy a same day ticket and have a blast because I know what to expect in the parks. I haven't been to WDW in 2 years but I read here in anticipation for our next trip so I know a thing or two.

Most people I know go to WDW for a day or two during their week long Florida vacation. Most buy their tickets that day. I have two coworkers that did just that this summer and last summer. They had an awesome time! No complaints whatsoever.

Plan now or wait in line later.
You will regret not planning, when your 3 and 6 year olds hit their limit and you have an hour wait to get food.

Sure but that's what the OP is asking. Is spontaneity dead? Yes it is, and based on your reply, you'd agree as well.

"Is spontaneity dead?"

Nope I just think you need to plan for it :-)

I haven't read through the whole thread however I would say you need to plan the basics for example we may plan to go to two parks a day, the first park we go at rope drop and ride what we want. While we plan which park (based on crowd data) we jump from ride to ride as the park is not overly busy, we would leave the park and lunch or rest around mid day. The second park that day we would have booked FP+ for three rides etc that said once the headline rides have been enjoyed using FP+ we do what we want with some "spontaneity" I suppose.

So as I say spontaneity is not dead you just need to plan for it

Regards

Paul

We go a few times a year and stay off site so with APs we go pretty cheap. Because we go so much we don't do a whole lot planning. If I only went once a year or once every few years, staying in the bubble dropping a few grand on a week, you better believe I would plan.

Spontaneity is dead at Disney World if you have lots of expectations.

For me to have enough days in Disney to eat at all of the restaurants I would like to experience, I would have to be there much longer than I can afford to in time as well as money. So I have to choose which ones I am going to experience on a particular trip.

My must do rides and shows is a very long list, so Fastpass planning is key.

This November, I am going for what is for me a long trip--10 nights on property. I planned my ADRs, and was actually thinking of taking a couple of days and "going with the flow". Then I realized that because of FP+ I would have to either miss rides I wanted or wait in incredibly long lines. For me, FP+ has been the final nail in the coffin of spontaneity. It was so much more flexible with regular FP. You didn't have to plan months in advance for the rides.

Now don't get me wrong--this is absolutely NOT going to keep me away from Disney. I will adapt to Disney's rules. I acknowledge that people with much lower expectations could have a great time without the planning. I have also seen some people saying they only ride 3-5 rides a day. I expect to ride in excess of 20. I probably should say attractions rather than rides, because some of the shows are as important to me as the rides.

We went the first week of May with our 7 year old and our son who turned 3 on our trip and it was his first visit. I wanted to make sure we saw everything and did everything and I planned a lot. I did have our fastpasses and dining, but after trying to cram a lot into our first day and trying to stick to the "itinerary" I had planned out, I realized that we would just kind of have to go with the flow. Not only was it really hot, it was very busy. I didn't want us to have to rush to get a lot done, so we ended up leaving the parks after lunch, going back to swim and play in the splash area (we stayed at AoA), and went back to the parks around 3 until after dinner. Prior to having kids, I was a get to the park at rope drop and leave when the park closes kind of gal, but traveling with kids is a completely different trip. When it was just DD, we still did a lot, but with 2 kids, it made things more challenging. We had a great trip, but I wish I would have relaxed a little bit more instead of worrying if the kids were going to see everything and do everything. So my advice, book your 3 fastpasses a day and your dining, and have a tentative plan that works around your fastpasses so you aren't hopping all over the park, but other than that, I would say, just go with it.

Whether or not you can be spontaneous at WDW partly depends on what you want and what you expect. If you want to get onto every single attraction, especially the top tier ones and you don't want to wait more than a certain amount of time, you may have to accept less spontaneity. If you want to do everything, see everything, "get your money's worth" by doing a whirlwind tour of all parks, you have to accept less spontaneity. We have been several times, so we don't feel that need but I seem to recall that we haven't ever done that even on our first time; we wanted to enjoy being together and just having fun.

We don't have kids so we don't have to worry about accommodating them, but I've given advice to many friends who have children of varying ages and that advice is: plan for spontaneity, plan for nothing, plan for downtime whether it's at the hotel, by the pool, or sitting on the sidelines watching people while indulging in a snack or drink. Enjoy just being there as much as doing stuff. Never mind kids - I get cranky if I'm not fed and watered occasionally, if I have to keep going when I'm tired or hot or just overstimulated or my feet hurt, or if I can't go see/do something I want instead of what was planned or what DH wants. I don't care how much was spent on this trip, I'm going to have a meltdown. Fortunately, he feels the same way. We just make sure we're sensitive to each others' situation; no different for kids except that they may have a shorter fuse (or not - you haven't seen me when I'm hot and thirsty or DH when his feet hurt). Ask them in advance to give you 1-2 things that they really really want to do and that you will do your best to ensure they experience that but it may require changing up other plans to make it work, that you're willing to make changes if they want to do something else and that they should also let you know when they're tired or want a break.

We do "skeleton" planning - so we do get ADR's (we really, really enjoy the restaurants on WDW property so it is important to us). I use a planning site to determine the least crowded day for each park, pick that park as the "main park" for the day, and then schedule the ADR's. When our FP+ window opens, I schedule those for the planned main park. We have park hoppers so we sometimes go to more than one, especially to enjoy EMH during the scheduled hours.

This describes us very well. I have to do Victoria & Albert's, would be unhappy if I couldn't eat at Jiko's, and I like several other places but I can be flexible on days, times and which ones specifically. We've made spontaneous dining decision changes a day or two before. We do like to do MVMCP.

Skeleton plans are intended to be a guide which can be thrown out when you feel like it. And we frequently do. Sometimes, if we feel like the transportation to the park we planned to go to is going to be too long to wait for, we'll take whatever bus comes next and replan on the fly. I always know that I'll find something I'm interested in doing or seeing when I get there so I'm not bothered by the changes.

We have an idea which parks we are going to each day and will have fastpasses for a park each day. We have an idea which rides should be ridden first to avoid lines and which evening show we are going to each evening. We have two or three ADRs and an idea of someplace to eat each meal should nothing come and beat us over the head. Every day has a window in the middle, anywhere from 4-6 hours where nothing at all is planned. We may find some fastpasses, we may go for a swim, hell I'm not averse to a vacation nap.

We've had days when we had lots of plans, got hot and went back to the hotel and bobbed about in the pool, or took a nap, stopped in for a drink somewhere. I enjoyed those days as much as the days we went until 1 am at EMH and did attractions we'd not normally do. And the late late nights are not usually planned. We just felt like we could keep going so we did.

I tend to be a sort of compulsive planner and my husband tends to be more of a "ooh that looks fun, ooh that sound tasty... SQUIRREL!" kind of guy so we generally have to strike a balance on vacation.

I get that from DH during the planning stages (usually after everything has been planned). I used to get frustrated, now I see it as a challenge and even a bit more fun. I even know that he will probably do that during the execution stages, blowing up the replanned planning. I've learned to go with the flow, although I never planned every minute of the day or expected to see everything. One of our more leisurely and spontaneous WDW trips was probably one of our best. Admittedly, we didn't see and do everything we had planned but the main point was that we totally enjoyed ourselves. That's the important thing, that's the real "value" of a vacation, the real "money's worth", not how much you saw and did IMO.

I booked a flight and room this morning for a trip starting Sunday. Need to do some Fp stuff tonight. I can usually get the reservations I want (BZ, FF, CG, SRT, MP) at short notice, but I do only travel with small parties and prefer to eat later in the evening.

So, spur of the moment stuff lives on for me.

Plan now or wait in line later.
You will regret not planning, when your 3 and 6 year olds hit their limit and you have an hour wait to get food.

You know there are plenty of places to eat in the parks that don't take an hour, and you don't need an ADR either.

OP, you don't have to plan, but if you don't then you can't go in with expectations of getting on headliners without a wait, or eating at the most popular table service restaurants, or avoiding crowds and things like that.

I've never been a planner aside from a couple ADRs. We have always had a great time, never ever waited an hour to eat and never went home disappointed about things we missed.
However with the dawning of FP+, if you do know that your kids have must do rides it is worth it to at least pick them because there will be no chance the day of to be able to grab some like in the good ol' FP days.

I freaking love the Country Bear Jamboree. Probably because I remember them from when I was a little kid. :)

But I get your point, LOL.

The cast member working the entrance to the Jamboree said, "Really?" when we walked up. We were the only ones in there, and the volume is LOUD when it is empty. I am still not okay from it.

OP, I planned my butt off for our trip last Easter, and some of those plans we kept while others went bye-bye once we got there and got caught up in the moment.

The best part of all of my obsessive planning wasn't having a concrete agenda nailed down to the minute, but knowing how the Disney thing works and how to make the most out of it. I knew my way around the parks (for the most part) from studying the maps online (and having been there a couple of times long, long ago). I knew which rides to hit at rope drop, which ones to not even bother with without a FastPass, and which ones loaded slowly vs quickly. I knew the good spots for watching fireworks and parades, and how early to stake them out. I knew which attractions were "anytime" attractions that we could basically walk up to and never have too long of a wait. I knew what quick service restaurants were in what parks, basically what each offered menu-wise, and when they would be crowded vs not crowded. I knew about how long to expect transportation from the resort to the parks to take, as well as from park to park. I knew how to get from one side of Disney Springs to the other without making my poor parents walk the whole way (boat). I knew the layout of our resort (Coronado Springs), where the bus stops were and what order the buses ran them.

These kinds of things are what make a Disney trip run more smoothly. FastPasses and dining reservations are only part of the equation. The more you know about how the whole place works and what to expect, the more you can just go with the flow.

Last edited:
I freaking love the Country Bear Jamboree. Probably because I remember them from when I was a little kid. :)

Country Bears is always on my must do list. Of course I remember Country Bears as a true E-ticket because it actually TOOK an E ticket back in the day. But I don't do it at rope drop.

Country Bears is always on my must do list. Of course I remember Country Bears as a true E-ticket because it actually TOOK an E ticket back in the day. But I don't do it at rope drop.
Yeah, it's definitely better toward the end of a long day when you're about loopy from pure exhaustion. Everything is hilarious then, especially animatronic bears singing country songs.

I have an interesting take on it (well I think its interesting).

I am a planner (project manager by trade), my wife is a spontaneous, cross that bridge when we get to kind of gal and my planning drives her nuts.

So I do it in secret........We are going for 5 days in October for F&W and MNSSHP. I have fastpasses booked for each day, ADR's, a KTTK tour and a Fireworks fastpass for Epcot (not really needed). I have done all of my research, I pretty much know what time we have to get up to get the right transport, I have studied maps and planned bathroom breaks (well almost) and I have loved every minute of doing it.

When we arrive, we will stroll around without a care in the world, she will get to ride her favorite rides, see her favorite shows and eat in her favorite restaurants, all with time in between to smell the roses (or re-plan if necessary). I am positive that she knows I do all of this, but by keeping it quiet we are both happy (maybe that's the secret to 26 years of marriage)

I cant wait.

You guys have been more than helpful. Thank you so much for all of the advise. I made a loose plan. I am not going to worry about anything else. :-) (At least for now.)

WDW with the FP plus does make it so you will have shorter lines if you pick what day to do what parks and reserve FPs a the 60 or 30 day mark depending on if you are on or offsite. Also with the popularity of the dining plan and all the onsite guests, you almost have to reserve any table service restaurants in advance. // To lower planning we do four night / three days trips -- stay offsite -- just one Disney day where we buy ticket and do FPs in advance, one day at SeaWorld (we get tickets in advance to save $20 per ticket, but no other planning required), and one resort day (no planning required). We at Disney just do counter service, so no dining reservations.

We go a few times a year and stay off site so with APs we go pretty cheap. Because we go so much we don't do a whole lot planning. If I only went once a year or once every few years, staying in the bubble dropping a few grand on a week, you better believe I would plan.
I took a last minute trip with my new AP over Labor Day and it was seriously one of my favorite trips! We ended up getting great FPs (no FOP but we did rope drop it and just standby another time) and only did two ADRs. On our past 2 trips (non-AP) we did the DDP so it was a nice change to have so much flexibility with dining. So I agree that it really differs based on style.

One of our ADRs was BOG breakfast we picked up the day before, so I would feel encouraged that you can find nice to have things at the last minute, but obviously would recommend booking your must dos ahead of time

FWIW, happy kids = happy vacation. As long as you feel like your kids will get to see/ride the things that are special to them, all will be well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter