• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this person on FB in charge of Fish Extender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of Junkies! I’m speaking about the one with over 33k members. Run by A.K...

That is Junkies.

I believe one is called: Fish Extender Disney Cruise Line

This thread is very interesting. I have always wondered about how FE started. And how someone could put themselves in charge and establish the rules. I find it fascinating.

This is all so fascinating! Of course, I had to check out one of the FB pages. This is from the About description of the FE page. Crazy!!

"No Disboard postings. They will be deleted. We like to keep all our members here on Facebook. You can no longer post over there without getting banned and ALL CRUISE PAGES can be found here on facebook in a more user friendly format. They are run by a huge travel agency and think we are stealing members"

This is all so fascinating! Of course, I had to check out one of the FB pages. This is from the About description of the FE page. Crazy!!

"No Disboard postings. They will be deleted. We like to keep all our members here on Facebook. You can no longer post over there without getting banned and ALL CRUISE PAGES can be found here on facebook in a more user friendly format. They are run by a huge travel agency and think we are stealing members"
Yup, that's the one. They are paranoid.

Oh my! :rotfl: Someone really, really needs to be in total control I guess.

The scary thing is that I looked at that other group (the non-junkies one) and I see that A.K. is now a member. :faint:

As for who started it, who cares? (not to take anything away from the lovely person who thought this up, but even if AK did have the original idea it still would not mean she could control it all). I will say that I was a member of a wonderful FE group from the cruise meet thread here on the DIS long before "someone" decided she needed to control everything in the DCL universe.

Oh my! :rotfl: Someone really, really needs to be in total control I guess.

The scary thing is that I looked at that other group (the non-junkies one) and I see that A.K. is now a member. :faint:
Of course she is. She has to be there to direct others to her group plus check out the competition.

As for who started it, who cares? (not to take anything away from the lovely person who thought this up, but even if AK did have the original idea it still would not mean she could control it all). I will say that I was a member of a wonderful FE group from the cruise meet thread here on the DIS long before "someone" decided she needed to control everything in the DCL universe.
I think the originator should get proper credit because it has sky rocketed into a huge deal. She deserves recognition. I am busy looking for an article that was posted years ago that was an in depth article about the FE and it's inception.

I think the originator should get proper credit because it has sky rocketed into a huge deal. She deserves recognition. I am busy looking for an article that was posted years ago that was an in depth article about the FE and it's inception.

Agreed. I meant it in the way that people shouldn't be claiming that that gives them the right to tell all cruisers what to do and how to do it.

I think the originator should get proper credit because it has sky rocketed into a huge deal.

Just putting it out there:

HOW DID THIS FISH EXTENDER IDEA GET STARTED?
The idea was the brainstorm of a woman named Debbie For the first Magical sailing through the Panama Canal back in 2005. Debbie thought it would be a fun way for others to exchange gifts.

HOW DID THIS FISH EXTENDER IDEA GET STARTED?
The idea was the brainstorm of a woman named Debbie For the first Magical sailing through the Panama Canal back in 2005. Debbie thought it would be a fun way for others to exchange gifts.

Actually it was a long article explaining who she was and everything about it. Kind of like a who, where, how, why article but thanks. Many of us thanked her for her honesty of giving credit where credit was due. It truly was a great article. I had it saved in my AOL favorites but I no longer have it. Boo hoo

Editing to add that I believe it was written by a teacher who stated that when something is written it needed to consider and give credit to the source.

Great info. Just more justification for me to never join Facebook and never bother with fish extenders. In my opinion it just adds stress where none is necessary.
It's only that one FB page that's like that. If you join a FB page that is for your cruise date sailing, it is nothing like that at all. An FE group will be created within it as the cruise approaches. No crazy administrators, strict rules or anything. Just nice people looking forward to their cruises & wanting to spread some warmth via Fish Extenders.

Actually it was a long article explaining who she was and everything about it. Kind of like a who, where, how, why article but thanks. Many of us thanked her for her honesty of giving credit where credit was due. It truly was a great article. I had it saved in my AOL favorites but I no longer have it. Boo hoo

Editing to add that I believe it was written by a teacher who stated that when something is written it needed to consider and give credit to the source.
I found this:
Giving credit where credit is due

Credit for the original Fish Extender belongs to a woman named Debbie, who comments under the name EpcotKilterFan on Disboards.com. She posted this comment: “When I handed out the first fish extenders on the 2005 Panama Canal Cruise, never in a million years did I think it would turn into this. Yes, I am the one responsible for starting this madness.” I have seen many articles about fish extenders, but none that credit Debbie, so as someone whose family has enjoyed every minute of our fish exchanges, I am saying thanks to Debbie and the first fish extender group for mirroring the creativity of Walt Disney himself and adding some extra magic to so many voyages! Well done!

https://anopensuitcase.com/somethin...unique-and-magical-tradition-by-katy-melcher/

I found this:
Giving credit where credit is due

Credit for the original Fish Extender belongs to a woman named Debbie, who comments under the name EpcotKilterFan on Disboards.com. She posted this comment: “When I handed out the first fish extenders on the 2005 Panama Canal Cruise, never in a million years did I think it would turn into this. Yes, I am the one responsible for starting this madness.” I have seen many articles about fish extenders, but none that credit Debbie, so as someone whose family has enjoyed every minute of our fish exchanges, I am saying thanks to Debbie and the first fish extender group for mirroring the creativity of Walt Disney himself and adding some extra magic to so many voyages! Well done!

https://anopensuitcase.com/somethin...unique-and-magical-tradition-by-katy-melcher/
That may just be the one. No matter what. That's pretty good credit and explanation!

It's only that one FB page that's like that. If you join a FB page that is for your cruise date sailing, it is nothing like that at all. An FE group will be created within it as the cruise approaches. No crazy administrators, strict rules or anything. Just nice people looking forward to their cruises & wanting to spread some warmth via Fish Extenders.

Not all of them. I know the group mentioned above, but I haven't done an FE from it. I just search ship name/sail date to find a sailing group I can chat with and plan, etc. I don't even do FE anymore because the fun of it has been ruined by the crazy competition, rules, etc. Anywho, generally the sailing groups are good. But the admin of my last one was over the top. She had all posts set to approve, randomly decided what got approved and what didn't, closed threads where people were discussing things, etc. Again, this wasn't an A.K. group, just a sailing group. I didn't do any of the social stuff on the sailing due to the admin. Well now that I think about it, maybe the admin was a friend of A.K...lol.

But the admin of my last one was over the top. She had all posts set to approve, randomly decided what got approved and what didn't, closed threads where people were discussing things, etc. Again, this wasn't an A.K. group, just a sailing group. I didn't do any of the social stuff on the sailing due to the admin. Well now that I think about it, maybe the admin was a friend of A.K...lol.

Yikes. Too much control is given to one or two people per cruise on FB. They couldn't get by with that on the DIS. Everyone is created equal here and that is what I appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter