Is Toy Story Land underperforming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the "Pandora underwhelming" comments.

I haven't been to either Pandora or Toy Story land.
Pandora, nor TSL really have the "history" that say the Wizarding World does, but it appears (from pictures) that those lands are missing the "little" things that make it immersive. Wizarding World (just the Hogsmeade side) had a wand shop (that was a show in itself), a candy store (filled with candy that was prominent in the books/movies), a restaurant, several rides, etc. Just lots of little extra touches that makes this world that is in books and movies come alive.

Pandora and TSL, both seem to LOOK good (again, I won't see them in person until November), but I'm not sure what "extra little touches" those lands can have. They just don't have the depth of source material. (though an actual TOY Store inside Toy Story Land would have seemed like a no-brainer)?

Pandora and Toy Story Land, even though they are Disney's first big steps into "immersive lands" aren't supposed to be the "Harry Potter killer", like Star Wars Land is. They are just part of the "big picture"

But . .if Star Wars land doesn't have the magical immersiveness that even just ONE SIDE of the Wizarding World does, you could could say THAT Disney's whole foray into "immersive lands" is underperforming.
Star Wars ha

And to add, I think Pandora promised having more of the stuff you were talking about - multiple of interactive bioluminecent plant life, more things going on it - possible walkaround characters and stuff - but it got cut from the budget. And the lack of those things is the one area I think it is underperforming (or underwhelming is maybe a better word) for me - especially at night time

If Galaxy's Edge fails to have those elements and they are cut from the budget then I think it is fair to say Disney is losing their touch and underdelivering on what they can and it would fall short of the Wizarding World

Regarding the "Pandora underwhelming" comments.

I haven't been to either Pandora or Toy Story land.
Pandora, nor TSL really have the "history" that say the Wizarding World does, but it appears (from pictures) that those lands are missing the "little" things that make it immersive. Wizarding World (just the Hogsmeade side) had a wand shop (that was a show in itself), a candy store (filled with candy that was prominent in the books/movies), a restaurant, several rides, etc. Just lots of little extra touches that makes this world that is in books and movies come alive.

Pandora and TSL, both seem to LOOK good (again, I won't see them in person until November), but I'm not sure what "extra little touches" those lands can have. They just don't have the depth of source material. (though an actual TOY Store inside Toy Story Land would have seemed like a no-brainer)?

Pandora and Toy Story Land, even though they are Disney's first big steps into "immersive lands" aren't supposed to be the "Harry Potter killer", like Star Wars Land is. They are just part of the "big picture"

But . .if Star Wars land doesn't have the magical immersiveness that even just ONE SIDE of the Wizarding World does, you could could say THAT Disney's whole foray into "immersive lands" is underperforming.
Star Wars ha

....Animal Kingdom, the entire park, is an "immersive land". Nothing beats it.
Immersive to me is not needing a movie to model a land after, but rather when I walk in my own imagination takes over and I feel transported to another place, leaving the real world behind for a bit. Animal Kingdom is every bit of that, Pandora included. I never saw Avatar, but Pandora takes me somewhere different.

I don't have those expectations of Toy Story Land so I'm not worried about it.

Star Wars "galaxy" is so big at this point (so many movies, so many age demographics) that it will be up to each individual to see what they want to see there. There isn't just one place or scene they can grab from a movie. Now will people have unrealistic expectations? Of course.

I just can't imagine that Galaxy's Edge won't be immersive. Impossible.

Or maybe I just blessed (cursed) with an overactive imagination. :)

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of nerds. We're a dedicated bunch. I predict Star Wars land will be a popular attraction for a very long time.
I am on the fence about Star Wars. On one hand, I think that it will be very popular for fans that come to Disney once every few years but I am not sure about the core group that goes once a year or more. Craig commented on a recent episode of Dis Unplugged that the Star Wars videos that they produce do not do very well on Youtube compared to their other videos that they put out. I am assuming that means that the people who are crazy Disney fans like us that watch all content the DIS puts out and have no problem going to Disney as often as possible might not be as interested in Star Wars as some of the fringe fans that will go once every few years. Is Star Wars enough to have some people pay 2 to 3 times as much for a yearly vacation each year as they pay now to go camping or to the beach? I guess time will tell.

I am on the fence about Star Wars. On one hand, I think that it will be very popular for fans that come to Disney once every few years but I am not sure about the core group that goes once a year or more. Craig commented on a recent episode of Dis Unplugged that the Star Wars videos that they produce do not do very well on Youtube compared to their other videos that they put out. I am assuming that means that the people who are crazy Disney fans like us that watch all content the DIS puts out and have no problem going to Disney as often as possible might not be as interested in Star Wars as some of the fringe fans that will go once every few years. Is Star Wars enough to have some people pay 2 to 3 times as much for a yearly vacation each year as they pay now to go camping or to the beach? I guess time will tell.

To be fair, the Star Wars is not "Disney" it's Star Wars in it's own right. People who are in to Star Wars have a million more avenues to get their Star Wars fix. I listen to the DIS to get an expert opinion on the parks and Disney World in general. That's why their Star Wars content gets less views.

To be fair, the Star Wars is not "Disney" it's Star Wars in it's own right. People who are in to Star Wars have a million more avenues to get their Star Wars fix. I listen to the DIS to get an expert opinion on the parks and Disney World in general. That's why their Star Wars content gets less views.

Agreed. Do you think that since they have so many avenues to get their content they will be less likely to visit Disney to see GE?

One thing I find interesting is that the only channels I really see covering the Star Wars VR experience at DS are the Disney parks vloggers. I checked a few of their channels and their Star Wars VR videos have as little as half the views of a normal day in park video. I am wondering where all of the Star Wars fans are finding info on that considering you would think that it would really interest someone to be inside of a Star Wars area with props, etc and a room to move around in.

Last edited:
Agreed. Do you think that since they have so many avenues to get their content they will be less likely to visit Disney to see GE?
No. Because there will be nowhere else you can really live a part of the series. Sure there is a good bit of LARP in various places, but you still aren't in the movie, you are just in this world playing a character. SW:GE is going to be the other side. You can immerse yourself in the world, but probably not be a traditional character. Even the SW sets are hard to get to. I know lots of people that go to New Zealand to see Hobbiton and some of the other LOTR/Hobbit sets, but I don't know that many that go to Tunisia or the island of the birds off Britain or the other planetary SW sets. They just are too hard to get to and not real good for other sightseeing opportunities. For most people, this will be it for living Star Wars.

No. Because there will be nowhere else you can really live a part of the series. Sure there is a good bit of LARP in various places, but you still aren't in the movie, you are just in this world playing a character. SW:GE is going to be the other side. You can immerse yourself in the world, but probably not be a traditional character. Even the SW sets are hard to get to. I know lots of people that go to New Zealand to see Hobbiton and some of the other LOTR/Hobbit sets, but I don't know that many that go to Tunisia or the island of the birds off Britain or the other planetary SW sets. They just are too hard to get to and not real good for other sightseeing opportunities. For most people, this will be it for living Star Wars.

Star Wars The Void in DS has tons of spots available anytime someone wants to go. I would consider that pretty immersive.

One thing I find interesting is that the only channels I really see covering the Star Wars VR experience at DS are the Disney parks vloggers. I checked a few of their channels and their Star Wars VR videos have as little as half the views of a normal day in park video. I am wondering where all of the Star Wars fans are finding info on that considering you would think that it would really interest someone to be inside of a Star Wars area with props, etc and a room to move around in.

No, not at all. The Star Wars VR thing is a niche product. People aren't travelling to Disney World (or Springs) just to do that, so your average Star Wars blogger/vlogger isn't going to be discussing it. However, opening up a land based on Star Wars where you'll have a life sized Millennium Falcon? Yeah, people will come.

Plus there is no where else to get that experience.

Also, there is massive crossover between fans of Star Wars and fans of classic Disney IP. Especially for families. I just don't think there is massive crossover in content creators on the internet. Why would you go to Disney Park experts for indepth Star Wars news?

To say that Pandora looks like Animal Kingdom's other areas isn't unjustified. Apart from the massive "floating" islands, there's not much that truly stands out other than some unique foliage (mostly at night) and a couple buildings (whereas areas like Africa or Asia have many different facades and theming opportunities with exhibits, etc). All of the park is very lush with it's foliage, has a lot of water elements, and intricate rock work. If you take away the floating mountains, this could easily be taken as an extension of the Oasis or maybe even Discovery Island (though, that could be pushing it). To say it's underwhelming might be naive, but that's subjective. Objectively speaking the floating mountains are jaw-dropping. Outside of that, I can understand why the avid Disney Parks fan would say these things. Again, to compare to the rest of the park, I really don't think Pandora comes close to the charm and atmosphere in the Africa or Asia areas of the park. All a matter of preference, truly, so hey - whatever floats your (Navi) boat.

No, not at all. The Star Wars VR thing is a niche product. People aren't travelling to Disney World (or Springs) just to do that, so your average Star Wars blogger/vlogger isn't going to be discussing it. However, opening up a land based on Star Wars where you'll have a life sized Millennium Falcon? Yeah, people will come.

Plus there is no where else to get that experience.

Also, there is massive crossover between fans of Star Wars and fans of classic Disney IP. Especially for families. I just don't think there is massive crossover in content creators on the internet. Why would you go to Disney Park experts for indepth Star Wars news?

I agree that Star Wars fans will not come to watch Disney Vlogs. I am arguing that the people that normally watch people like Tim Tracker each day where he normally has 100k views per video and for a Star Wars VR video he has 50k. I am wondering why the numbers drop for videos about Star Wars areas of Disney from the normal numbers on Disney Parks vlogs as Craig mentioned. Maybe it is because the hard core Disney fans dont care about Star Wars as much as people think. That is the point I am trying to make and I am wondering how that will effect SWGE attendance. It may not at all but I just find it interesting.

I agree that Star Wars fans will not come to watch Disney Vlogs. I am arguing that the people that normally watch people like Tim Tracker each day where he normally has 100k views per video and for a Star Wars VR video he has 50k. I am wondering why the numbers drop for videos about Star Wars areas of Disney from the normal numbers on Disney Parks vlogs as Craig mentioned. Maybe it is because the hard core Disney fans dont care about Star Wars as much as people think. That is the point I am trying to make and I am wondering how that will effect SWGE attendance. It may not at all but I just find it interesting.

I agree that it is interesting - and you might be right. Also might be that people that watch the DIS or Tim Tracker do so for their Disney expertise and might think they/he isn't as knowledgeable on Star Wars vs dedicated sites? Or maybe a good chunk of that audience still doesn't see Star Wars as "Disney" so just isn't a priority to watch those videos? Agree that if it is something seen across multiple channels it is in interesting trend

And could it mean something for Galaxy's Edge? At least in the long run after all the die hard Star Wars fans complete their visit? I think if it is well done then it will stay popular - a lot of people that aren't Harry Potter fans still enjoy going to the Wizarding World and I see a lot of people that weren't Avatar fans enjoying Pandora

I could see it impacting the Star Wars Hotel more long term as, while it might be amazing, is it something that soooo many people will want to spend tons of $ to do multiple times? Or more a One and Done?

I watched a the Star Wars VR presentation and I'm really not interested in seeing someone else's VR experiences. It just doesn't carry over through a video. I don't need to see someone walk through a sterile room with goggles on. I also don't really care about watching some noob playing a video game for the first time.

I'm pretty sure that's the case for a lot of people.

I watched a the Star Wars VR presentation and I'm really not interested in seeing someone else's VR experiences. It just doesn't carry over through a video. I don't need to see someone walk through a sterile room with goggles on. I also don't really care about watching some noob playing a video game for the first time.

I'm pretty sure that's the case for a lot of people.

The VR video was just an example of multiple Star Wars videos that normal viewers of these channels skip over.

Still, people go to certain channels for certain type of content. It takes time to build up an audience for a specific type of content.

There are enough Star Wars, Pandora and Toy Story geeks to make all of these lands thrive. After all, Country Bear Jamboree has prospered for 47 years. There's no accounting for taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter