"It never rains in California............

My wife and I will be there Mon-Thur next week and are looking forward to the weather! We typically go the same time each year and it is usually a lot warmer around 80-95*f everyday. So we are excited for the weather.

We are going to Disneyland next week and its supposed to rain on Thursday and Friday. Wasn't planning on bringing ponchos or an umbrella. Like the song says I didn't think it rained in California!!!!

They cannot accurately tell you want the weather is going to be 3 days from now much less and entire week+. I'm also going to DL on the same days you listed and I am not the least bit concerned about it.

Man, when it rained when we were there in April, it did NOT thin the crowds one bit. Maybe it just needed to rain a little harder! LOL
Yes, exactly. I think crowds for the Food & Wine festival at DCA were maybe lighter, but DL was busy all three days we were there--and it rained each of those days.

It was light rain for the most part, so we had small umbrellas for the girls and waterproof windbreakers. We also had cheap ponchos (which I always have on hand for summer hiking) in the backpack in case of a downpour.

I arrive in DL on Monday, leave on Friday morning. I've been watching what the weather is doing out there. It has been consistently in the 70's, with sunny or partly sunny weather. Looks no different next week. I have to think that your dh looked at WDW vs DL!!! It's not going to be sunny there next week!!

I've been to DL in the rain. First time I was there, Dec '14. We were there for an overnight, and of course, it rained for almost the entire time. I think there were maybe, 4 hrs total that it didn't rain!!! And unlike WDW, DL isn't equipped for rain. Most restaurants have outside seating, the drainage is miserable. When I got home, I realized that I still had no idea how DL is laid out!!! My head was down almost the entire time I was there!!! My feet were wet most of the time..at least it wasn't 50 degrees!!!
Second time I went, last Dec, no rain! It was wonderful!!!

And the rain is miserable. Shut down all the rides my girl wanted to ride. Then, trying to keep a 1 year old and 3 year old dry in a rain poncho and a plastic thing over their stroller was horrible. It ruined our day. And it didn't thin crowds at all. It turned all lines that were indoors into hour waits. It was horrid.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't understand the love for the rain on this thread. The problem with rain at Disneyland is a lot more of the rides are outdoors than at Disneyworld. Rides like Pooh and Small World have outdoor portions and so those rides get shutdown in the rain. The Teacups has no covering in California. In Florida, those rides are all protected, so even if it rains as it frequently does, if you are willing to brave the walk between rides, almost everything stays open.

The last time we were there even the small Royal Theater stage show was shut down because of water rolling into the seating area. And then other rides like the Alice in Wonderland take over 2 hours to dry out, so if it rains intermittently, they can be closed all day.

My suggestion if rain is in the forecast is to hit all your key outdoor stuff as early as possible and hope.

I arrive in DL on Monday, leave on Friday morning. I've been watching what the weather is doing out there. It has been consistently in the 70's, with sunny or partly sunny weather. Looks no different next week. I have to think that your dh looked at WDW vs DL!!! It's not going to be sunny there next week!!

I've been to DL in the rain. First time I was there, Dec '14. We were there for an overnight, and of course, it rained for almost the entire time. I think there were maybe, 4 hrs total that it didn't rain!!! And unlike WDW, DL isn't equipped for rain. Most restaurants have outside seating, the drainage is miserable. When I got home, I realized that I still had no idea how DL is laid out!!! My head was down almost the entire time I was there!!! My feet were wet most of the time..at least it wasn't 50 degrees!!!
Second time I went, last Dec, no rain! It was wonderful!!!

This was the worst part for us! Just about every eatery we tried was 'Sorry, we're serving guests with reservations only due to the lack of seating'. Ended up at Hungry Bear, which was fine although we'd eaten there the day before, but it was difficult there to find a table where you weren't being rained or 'dripped' on!

Last July we were there for a week - in the drought. Well, we brought the rain with us and it poured for almost two full days. Unfortunately, it did not thin the massive crowds like I had hoped. Oh well, we stuck it out.

I have to say that I was surprised ppl didnt run to indoor attractions (we headed straight to watch Mickey and the Magical Map) as quickly as expected when the weather turned bad. We did Its a Small World after that and the line wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter