• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Italy: Viva Italia Meets Thread

I'm so pleased...got a letter from ABD today stating that, for the December trip, the hotel in Tuscany has been switched to the Bernini Palace smack in the middle of Florence. :cool1:

This change is due to the countryside being not so pretty in the dead of winter. I'm just happy that we will have more on-our-own time in Florence, especially on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. Hoping we can find a church service to attend, and also be able to see the beauty of the city when many are quietly at home. Also, this makes our 4 pm time slot at the Uffizi very doable, as we will be staying only a 15 minute walk from there now! (I did call and double check the itinerary, to make sure we were still ok with those tix.)

My countdown is under 60 days, with our predays in London. Wheeeee!:goodvibes

I'm so pleased...got a letter from ABD today stating that, for the December trip, the hotel in Tuscany has been switched to the Bernini Palace smack in the middle of Florence. :cool1:

This change is due to the countryside being not so pretty in the dead of winter. I'm just happy that we will have more on-our-own time in Florence, especially on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. Hoping we can find a church service to attend, and also be able to see the beauty of the city when many are quietly at home. Also, this makes our 4 pm time slot at the Uffizi very doable, as we will be staying only a 15 minute walk from there now! (I did call and double check the itinerary, to make sure we were still ok with those tix.)

My countdown is under 60 days, with our predays in London. Wheeeee!:goodvibes
Oh, congrats! That sounds wonderful! From what I've heard, the road up & back to the Tuscany villa is treacherous in the *summer*. I'd hate to think about winter time! More time in Florence is a good thing! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to Italy with ABD.

You can also share information/ask questions about the Italy: Viva Italia ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the Italy ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Roll Call:

Current:

• Dec 21 - 29, 2014 - kristilew, DH, & DD (17)
  • May 25 - Jun 2, 2015 - Rapunzellover
  • Sep 3 - 11, 2015 - stacyz & husband (John)
  • Sep 14 - 22, 2015 - Becky Rou (Becky) & Anthony
  • Oct 11 - 20, 2015 - tracyv & husband
Previous:

• Jun 10 - 18, 2012 - Hermi, DH, DS (15) & DD (13)
  • Jun 28 - Jul 6, 2012 - Jlou, DH, DS(16) & DD(12.99)
  • Jul 9 17, 2012
    • - mickeee & family, daughter (11) & son (21)
    • - mapsd & family, 2 daughters (9 & 11)
    • - GregThom, wife & 2 daughters (14 & 10)
    • - Rmmc07 & DD (8)
  • Oct 7 - 15, 2012 - pandw & husband
  • May 9 - 17, 2013
    • - wdwtheplacetobe & Alacrity
    • - AquamarineSteph & 'Better Half'
  • May 16 - 24, 2013 - Disneyfam24 (1 mom and ka (12m))
  • Jun 30 - Jul 8, 2013 - chanibusti CVO Kim, DH Pradeep, DS7 Deven, DD6 Nora
  • - Kez250 (Kerry), DH Stephen, DS Ben (11), DD Imogen (10 by the trip)
  • Jul 28 - Aug 5, 2013 - flagfred, dh, dds (16) & (13)
  • Aug 11 - 19, 2013
    • - Skaminsk, wife, daughter (will be 7)
    • - Lydsmom, with 8 yo daughter, husband
  • Aug 18 - 26, 2013 - cindy2494 (Cindy), DH Don, DD Jess (19) & DD Sabrina (13)
  • April 18 - 26, 2014 - cancelled
  • May 18 - 26, 2014 - OMD13 & DH
  • May 26 - Jun 3, 2014
    • - Dad (richflour) & daughter (9)
    • - georgiagirl2, DH, DS (17) & DS (15)
  • Jun 5 - 13, 2014
    • - mmhoover, husband & two children (10 & 11)
    • - Eileenct, husband, daughter (10) & son (5)
  • Jun 8 - 16, 2014
    • - pihanettie, DD (10) & DS (9)
    • - kpnittany, husband & 2 sons (14 & 11)
  • Jun 19 - 27, 2014 - kanadar, sister & Dad
  • Jun 22 - 30, 2014 - twentyco & daughter
  • Jun 26 - Jul 1, 2014 - BSKE4fun, DH, DD (13) & DD (18)
  • Jun 29 - Jul 7, 2014 - Curlygirlinsm, DH & DD (10)
  • Jul 10 - 18, 2014
    • - Heather (CrazyZeus1), hubby Jeff & son Reese (11)
    • - Liz (MKTowerView) & Mom (Mari)
  • Jul 17 - 25, 2014 - Jenncram, DH, DS 12, DS 9 (almost 10)

Add me...I am going with Deb Willis on the :yay::yay:Adults only Viva Italia Sept 3-11, 2015
This is also my first solo trip besides going to WDW by my lonesome!

Add me...I am going with Deb Willis on the :yay::yay:Adults only Viva Italia Sept 3-11, 2015
This is also my first solo trip besides going to WDW by my lonesome!
Done! Congrats on booking your first solo ABD. You'll find ABD a great way to travel solo!

Sayhello

I just booked the Jul30-Aug7 Italy Adventure w DreamsUnlimited. Traveling will be me (Sil), my DW (Margaret Ann) and my 2DDs Lauren (15) and Rosie (13).

This will be our 2nd ABD. We did a DISexclusive Back Stage Magic in Feb 2014.

We will be celebrating Lauren's sweet 16 on this trip (in Venice)!

I just booked the Jul30-Aug7 Italy Adventure w DreamsUnlimited. Traveling will be me (Sil), my DW (Margaret Ann) and my 2DDs Lauren (15) and Rosie (13).

This will be our 2nd ABD. We did a DISexclusive Back Stage Magic in Feb 2014.

We will be celebrating Lauren's sweet 16 on this trip (in Venice)!
I've added you to the Roll Call in the first post. Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate a sweet 16!!!

Sayhello

I am new to this board, so forgive me if I don't have all of the abbreviations/lingo down. I am booked on the July 2 - 10, 2015 Italy ABD with my husband, daughter (14), mother, stepfather, and aunt. I have taken one other ABD trip to China in 2013.

I am new to this board, so forgive me if I don't have all of the abbreviations/lingo down. I am booked on the July 2 - 10, 2015 Italy ABD with my husband, daughter (14), mother, stepfather, and aunt. I have taken one other ABD trip to China in 2013.
Hi, fosterkittymom, and Welcome to the DISBoards and the ABD Forum! I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post of this thread. So far, no other DISers are listed on that departure, but it's still a ways off.

Sayhello

We are doing a ADB that starts on Thurs in the hopes of making the Wednesday Papal Audience the day before. Anyone ever do this? Any advice u can offer?

I am concerned about the language. Do most people speak English?

It is true most people, especially in the larger cities speak English -that being said, it would be a good idea to learn some basic Italian(try the app DuoLingo -it's great). Italians, and Europeans in general, appreciate a little effort -for this they will be more willing to assist. In a city like Rome, most waiters will approach and just start speaking English -If you ask for them to speak Italian, they will and will coach you along. Buonasera.

So excited! This is my first time on the Disney ABD forum. We are signed up for our first ABD trip. My husband and my 10 year old are almost as excited as I am!

So excited! This is my first time on the Disney ABD forum. We are signed up for our first ABD trip. My husband and my 10 year old are almost as excited as I am!
Congrats! If you let me know which departure you're on, I can add you to the Roll Call on the first post of this thread!

Sayhello

WOW! All of a suddent there is less than 6 months left before my September Viva Italia trip!!!!!:hmghost:
Just thought I would put that out there.

I plan on spending some time in Rome before the ABD and I want to make sure I will not be doing anything duplicative w the ABD. We're thinking about... St Giovanni Lateran, Scala Sanctus, Pantheon, Roman Forum, Borghese Gallery.

We also plan on going to to the Papal Audience on the day before the ABD. If I wanted to climb the Duomo of St Peters, I should do it then?

Also, on an ABD that begins on a Thursday... and Sunday is a travel day to Florence... do folks have a recommendation for Catholic Mass on Saturday evening? What time do folks re-group for the evening Vatican Museum tour?

Last edited:
I know there are a few churches that do an English language mass in Rome. When we were in Rome there is a church located near the American Embassy that we got the address from the front desk at the hotel where we stayed. We went on a different tour group offered from another vendor so I can't help on the other questions. But you will have a wonderful time in Rome.:grouphug:

I plan on spending some time in Rome before the ABD and I want to make sure I will not be doing anything duplicative w the ABD. We're thinking about... St Giovanni Lateran, Scala Sanctus, Pantheon, Roman Forum, Borghese Gallery.

We also plan on going to to the Papal Audience on the day before the ABD. If I wanted to climb the Duomo of St Peters, I should do it then?

Also, on an ABD that begins on a Thursday... and Sunday is a travel day to Florence... do folks have a recommendation for Catholic Mass on Saturday evening? What time do folks re-group for the evening Vatican Museum tour?

We did the Pantheon and the Forum with the ABD, though not a lot of time in the Forum. It was closing as we got there - Dusty was literally holding the turnstile for us. I think closing is timed with dusk, so if you are not going in December, as we did, you will surely have more time there!

I believe we met at 7:30 for the evening Vatican tour. It might have been 7. Not late enough to eat before, I remember that! We did have the entire afternoon and early evening on our own, so if there are earlier masses, you'd be fine.

We did not climb anything at St. Peters, so yes, do that on your own. If you are doing plenty of other stuff on your predays, it might make the most logistical sense to plan to go back and do that after the Castel Sant'Angelo, when you are let loose on your own. This is the day you do the interior of St. Peter's and also the day you have your night tour. (Day 3, Let's Be Civilized) That way you avoid lots of backtracking, and on your predays you could do more in-city stuff.

We really enjoyed the Capuchin Crypts, which I don't see on your list. Well, maybe not "enjoyed" but we did find them fascinating and worth an hour!

This is a fabulous Adventure - you will love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter