• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Items taken from room 😡

Hire an attorney and name everybody that was there. Let the courts sort it out.

That we (as an entity) have taken this coming in the room every day "safety check" thing laying down makes me sick. I am sick and tired of it, and have been since the beginning, but I can't do anything about it by myself. I wish I could. I have a right to expect privacy in my home. This is NOT what I bought into.

Yes it's so dumb they continue the safety checks.

Leave my room alone and if I need new towels I will let you know. Traveled 25+ weeks a year for work. First thing I do is put DND on my door and take it off when I leave at the end of my stay.

I don't need housekeeping at home I sure as heck don't need it in a hotel.

This got me thinking I might set up cameras moving forward in our room.

I will just say this won't stop anyone. Most of those locks can easily be defeated. Won't say how but they can be.

You are better off hiding it in the room. I have ideas of locations but PM if you want ideas.

wont stop everyone but of course it will stop most people.

Then all the could offer for me now having to take 3 days out of my vacation to get his meds is a 3 night stay at the contemporary. The stress this has caused me is insane (I’m his caregiver so this all falls on me). I guess I just need to vent.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. I hope the rest of your vacation is nothing but happy memories!

I don’t think “items taken from room” is an accurate description. I really don’t think anyone stole your husbands medication. It’s not like he was taking a street drug. He was taking specific drugs for cardiac survival. Most drug dealers would have no clue what to do with such drugs.

I do believe they mistakenly threw them in the trash. Don’t get me wrong, that is inexcusable. I’m just saying nobody “took” your stuff.

I don’t think “items taken from room” is an accurate description. I really don’t think anyone stole your husbands medication. It’s not like he was taking a street drug. He was taking specific drugs for cardiac survival. Most drug dealers would have no clue what to do with such drugs.

I do believe they mistakenly threw them in the trash. Don’t get me wrong, that is inexcusable. I’m just saying nobody “took” your stuff.

It is a blessing that people still have faith in humanity like you do. I do not in this case. I think they took anything that looked like a pill bottle sitting in a place with a reasonable excuse to assume it was trash, only to sort it out later and throw it out if it wasn't anything they could sell. Why would any reasonable person assume a prescription bottle was trash if it was anywhere except in a trash can? I still believe in giving people the benefit of a doubt. But only when it's deserved.

Last edited:

I actually think I was being very nice when saying it was “taken”. When something is taken from someone without permission and was not in a place like a trash can I believe “taken” is being kind. Housekeeping should not be touching anyones personal properly whether it looks like trash or not. They have one job on non towel and trash days and that’s to take trash out of the trash cans, not touch any other property in the room. And it’s not just cardia support, one if his medications for his pulmonary fibrosis costs over $10,000 a month and he had some prescription painkillers in there as well as meds for his other conditions. The safes are not big enough for all his meds, he’s on a lot. We were leaving the room and he grabbed something out of the bag last minute and left it in the bed not thinking anyone would be in the room or touch a random target bag on the bed. They absolutely would have been able to tell it was pills the moment they picked it up and should have put it right back down.

I actually think I was being very nice when saying it was “taken”. When something is taken from someone without permission and was not in a place like a trash can I believe “taken” is being kind. Housekeeping should not be touching anyones personal properly whether it looks like trash or not. They have one job on non towel and trash days and that’s to take trash out of the trash cans, not touch any other property in the room. And it’s not just cardia support, one if his medications for his pulmonary fibrosis costs over $10,000 a month and he had some prescription painkillers in there as well as meds for his other conditions. The safes are not big enough for all his meds, he’s on a lot. We were leaving the room and he grabbed something out of the bag last minute and left it in the bed not thinking anyone would be in the room or touch a random target bag on the bed. They absolutely would have been able to tell it was pills the moment they picked it up and should have put it right back down.

I'm also on several Rx's for chronic conditions (that I have shipped from specialty pharmacy for $$$$). Luckily, they are shipped in a big thick ziploc bag that says *CHEMO* *DANGER* etc. I stick all my meds in that bag, and that bag goes in bedside table drawer. So far, it has been a pretty good deterrent :)

So sorry that happened to ya'll, I hope you were able to get replacements quickly.

Caregiving isn't easy, and my heart goes out to the work you are doing.

I've had a kindle get caught up in sheets and get taken to the laundry. They found it and brought it to me. So they aren't all bad.

I've also known housekeeping to work on more than one room at a time, block the door they aren't in with a cart and work in the other. That allows for anyone to be able to sneak in. (my then-husband went back into our room at the Grand Californian once when they were doing that, and housekeeping came back in when he was looking in my purse LOL) So it might not have actually been a housekeeper unless that specific housekeeper said it was.

My aunt was a housekeeper at a condo-style resort, and they worked so hard they wouldn't have had time to shake a bag to see if it was pills. They just kept moving.

Housekeeping should not be touching anyones personal properly whether it looks like trash or not.

And yet they do. Disneyland Hotel...we had purchased a stormtrooper blaster for my then-little son, and I was going to put it into the soft-sided checked bag, so I kept the box. Apparently on day 3 the housekeeper decided it was close enough to the garbage and they threw it out. Sigh.

Then all the could offer for me now having to take 3 days out of my vacation to get his meds is a 3 night stay at the contemporary.

3 night stay at the Contemporary doesn't sound like something in the "all they could offer me" category. That's thousands of dollars worth of hotel stay, isn't it?

I once had my personal laptop stolen out of a hotel room during a 20 minute span when I ran downstairs for a continental breakfast. I can assure you that the hotel is not liable and calling the police won't scare them one bit despite what others have implied. You do need a police report for property theft if you're going to file an insurance claim, but that's all they'll give you and that's often done over the phone.

My seemingly harsh but honest advice is to be happy you were offered compensation of any kind, learn the lesson, and move on. It's a terrible feeling being violated like that, but I guarantee you won't make that mistake again. Definitely lock up things like electronics, meds, keys, and anything else you can't afford to lose in the safe.

That we (as an entity) have taken this coming in the room every day "safety check" thing laying down makes me sick. I am sick and tired of it, and have been since the beginning, but I can't do anything about it by myself. I wish I could. I have a right to expect privacy in my home. This is NOT what I bought into.
This "intrusion" was started when that nut shot up Las Vegas with the guns he brought into his room. If something like that happened again, G-d forbid, whatever hotel or resort allowed it to happen would be excoriated for negligence. It's unfortunate that one person with bombs in their shoes, or one person putting poison in Tylenol causes everybody to be inconvenienced, but better safe than sorry. I'm sure Disney would rather have their employees spending their time cleaning than looking for nuts with guns.

This got me thinking I might set up cameras moving forward in our room.

Disney wireless is so bad, the normal kind off cameras I would use to do this won’t work. There’s got to be a self contained one?

Stuff getting stolen just isn’t on my radar. I had status at two other hotel chains before COVID, and plenty of nights at Disney. I don’t have valuable painkillers, but I do have a ridiculous quantity of electronics. I always put out the do not disturb.

if I did have valuable painkillers, I wouldn’t hide them in the safe. I’d hide them in plain sight in something boring, pile of messy laundry, kids backpack, something non-obvious.

Disney wireless is so bad, the normal kind off cameras I would use to do this won’t work. There’s got to be a self contained one?

You can obtain trail game cameras, which are fully self contained and record to a memory card. They're kind of large, though, so aren't easily concealed.

I believe there are also wifi cameras that will record a limited amount onto onboard memory until the wifi returns.

This seem a little extreme and very time consuming for these people. Three extra nights at the contemporary is easily over $2000. That seems like a nice compensation. None of the drugs they mentioned seem like they would have any street value either. If someone knows how to move prescribed drugs, they are going to know what to look for.....they aren't going to risk their "supply" job on some blood pressure meds. Just my opinion, sounds to me like the person was just a moron and most likely did make a mistake.

Just wanted you to know that one more person is angry on your behalf.

Considering all the meds you mentioned, you and your husband have enough on your plate without having to deal with this on what is supposed to be a little bit of relief from how hard I'm imagining your day-day-day is.

I don't buy the accidental excuse. It sounds to me like someone was anxious to get a hold of a bag of prescriptions, hoping to sort out what s/he could use or sell later. I imagine all the majority of wonderful mousekeepers at Disneyworld hate this too - it makes them all look bad, when most don't deserve that.

Anyway, I hope you were both able to salvage some good, relaxing fun.

Knock on wood, no such issues for us.

OP sorry the meds went missing. I left an daily RX mistakenly at home last trip. Thankfully, a CVS near sea world was able to contact my hometown CVS

they handled everything, including contacting my insurance company, who authorized a full emergency 90 day supply with just my usual copay!

The safes are not big enough for all his meds, he’s on a lot.
So frustrating for you, sorry

However, next trip perhaps consider just keeping a few days of meds in the room safe (daily pill case) & the remainder in a sealed/locked bag (Amazon) in the hotel safe

I don't buy the accidental excuse. It sounds to me like someone was anxious to get a hold of a bag of prescriptions, hoping to sort out what s/he could use or sell later. I imagine all the majority of wonderful mousekeepers at Disneyworld hate this too - it makes them all look bad, when most don't deserve that.

Anyway, I hope you were both able to salvage some good, relaxing fun.

I would think if people need to take a bunch of meds to live, would also need at least one of them to be a painkiller.

This seem a little extreme and very time consuming for these people. Three extra nights at the contemporary is easily over $2000. That seems like a nice compensation. None of the drugs they mentioned seem like they would have any street value either. If someone knows how to move prescribed drugs, they are going to know what to look for.....they aren't going to risk their "supply" job on some blood pressure meds. Just my opinion, sounds to me like the person was just a moron and most likely did make a mistake.

Go back in the thread and take a look at the claimed value on those drugs. ANYTHING with that kind of pricetag has street value. Heck, even insulin has street value these days for God's sake. Never underestimate what people know, and the evil they can make from that knowledge.

"I'll give you $20 for every bottle you bring me of anything. No questions asked." #NuffSaid

Many years ago I had a silver necklace 'disappear' from our room at the Poly. I'd placed it in an ashtray, on the nightstand, and put a book over it. When we got back from breakfast, the room was made up - but the book was on the dresser, and the ashtray was empty.

My DH immediately called MouseKeeping and I went to the front desk. They were concerned, but basically said there was nothing they could do. If it was an 'honest mistake' the trash was long gone, and if it wasn't, the best they could 'legally' do was ask about it, but we were told, more or less, "don't hold your breath".
Wow, they used to allow smoking in the rooms back then! You can't even smoke in the parks now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter