• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Items taken from room 😡

IIRC, there are terms in the POS that discuss this to a degree. I do not think these are considered condos in the same sense as condo people buy for homes. The FL statues to have different sections for that. So, I do not think one can say they have the right to keep Disney out of the room to empty trash each day. The rules for housekeeping do not appear to be considered a material part of the contract and thus, can be modified if needed.

Now, I do agree that someone should not expect a knock at the door late at night.
Yes, I was thinking that a timeshare condominium comes under hotel innkeeper laws insofar as allowing the innkeeper to inspect the property, as opposed to the kind of privacy a person would expect in their residence or privately owned vacation home.

Very dangerous thing to do, if true.

Many people wrote of their experiences with such invasions on the resort board here. And I agree it is dangerous.

I suspect it would have happened anyway.

Same. It's not like the CMs are peering under beds. They come in, empty trash, and (usually) leave. That's it. It's theater.

I think if I was that worried about my possessions being stolen somewhere I either A) wouldn't bring them or B) wouldn't stay at that location.

You don't always get that chance.
This is Disney-related because my then-husband sometimes shoehorned work trips at the end of disney trips. He traveled for work half the year for 6 years. He brought all sorts of electronic equipment with him. Sometimes the things he had were not yet released (some never released) to the public and needed to be hidden. He had notes and business cards for TSA in case they needed to inspect so they would take him to a private room, the whole 9 yards. He had to stay at hotels. He had to leave to test the prototypes, while leaving other things there. He sometimes had to go get dinner while leaving things there. You really should feel safe leaving your stuff in the room.

Isn’t this getting pretty far afield? I thought it started as housekeeping either throwing away or taking pills that were left on a bed. Now we’re talking about nonexistent 2am no-knock housekeeping and stories of not getting robbed? So confused.

I feel very bad for the OP but as the conversation has gone on, I wanted to offer an additional suggestion for anyone planning ahead. The safe can be an option and locking your luggage can be an option; and, if you're traveling with medications, I would encourage you to think about getting a locked bag for it (to help keep medications out of the possible hands of children or youth, or whatever robbery/theft may happen). It's something that I've found useful along the way.

Same. It's not like the CMs are peering under beds. They come in, empty trash, and (usually) leave. That's it. It's theater.

I'm often perplexed by people who respond as such. Part of good security training is doing exactly this. I'll give an example - on my first solo day on a job (small bookstore), I caught a guy shoplifting. I would not have done very well if I had loudly asked everyone to open their coats and jackets and peered through everything they had. Instead, I had been trained to follow a variety of tactics, one of which was calmly addressing something that was clearly out of place. By being present but not making a big deal of it, I was able to get the person to relinquish the items they were about to steal (less than 100 dollars worth) while also avoiding them using a weapon (which the police found two of, a gun and knife).

If people have major reactions to someone "just walking in to throw away the trash" - that's a sign that more elevated security measures should be in place. Looking under the bed in that instance, or in the drawers where people might hide weapons - can cause an incident right there. Often what is most useful is noticing the people who never allow anyone in over a week and who seem overly anxious about this, who keep bringing in luggage but not taking it out, etc. (A) The LV incident is important and had an effect - but (b) WDW and Florida in particular deal with so much human trafficking. So is the concern about someone shooting the giraffe or whatever? Not necessarily. At the same time, security knows a ton about the way people work and think and I can tell you that there are many scenarios different from (as people will often refer to) the LV shooting but are just as devastating and perhaps more likely. Cities of all shapes and sizes have tragedies; cities with major (MAJOR) tourism have increased issues. Pulse happened in Orlando. There are a ton of reasons for people to take security seriously at WDW and I am grateful that it's done (and I know enough to know that I only know about 5%-10% of what's happening, as it should be).

Just like (and I know everyone will hate this) - but just like TSA, what appears to be "just" theater is in fact an element of keeping people safe. Of course it's not the only element. Just like of course, the only security at Disney aren't the CMs at the gates checking bags. Uniformed officers aren't the only effective policing (and sometimes their presence creates more of an issue). Simply not liking something that's happening (room checks) or not knowing what effect it has doesn't mean it's useless/ineffective. And just because something is effective for as level 1 situation doesn't mean it's meant to take care of level 4 (or something that seems banal is meant to be the end all of what is happening). /off soapbox

Also, stealing bad - and I'm so sorry, OP. My experience after having my house broken into and robbed was that it was a really hard thing to deal with because of the vulnerability generally - but then especially with medications. It just - that feels like an extra level of vulnerability and problems.

Isn’t this getting pretty far afield? I thought it started as housekeeping either throwing away or taking pills that were left on a bed. Now we’re talking about nonexistent 2am no-knock housekeeping and stories of not getting robbed? So confused.
Did someone mention anything about "2am no-knock housekeeping"? If so I must have missed it Bottomline is housekeeping has no business throwing away anything that is outside the rim of the trash cans and shouldn't be touching any articles not belonging to Disney unless for some reason there is a safety issue. If that would be the case the occupant could easily be notified of such since Disney has basically made it a requirement to have your cell phone accessible at all times. OP has a beef, so do the folks that say they were barged in on (never happened to us) neither should ever happen.

Did someone mention anything about "2am no-knock housekeeping"? If so I must have missed it Bottomline is housekeeping has no business throwing away anything that is outside the rim of the trash cans and shouldn't be touching any articles not belonging to Disney unless for some reason there is a safety issue. If that would be the case the occupant could easily be notified of such since Disney has basically made it a requirement to have your cell phone accessible at all times. OP has a beef, so do the folks that say they were barged in on (never happened to us) neither should ever happen.

This is true. But they’re are a lot of new staff and who knows if this person was just not well trained.

Again, it should not have happened, but we also have to realize that something that could have looked like trash might have been taken as a mistake.

As noted, lesson learned for all of us to think about worst case scenario.

Based on this post, we put anything of value that would fit into the safe at BWV this last week, including medicine I take. Thanks to the OP for mentioning this! We noticed a printed card on the dresser saying be careful and secure all items of value. Interesting.

And yes housekeeping knocked and entered the room (with the room occupied sign on the door) and said they were required to enter the rooms every day even if we were there. If we asked them to come back later they agreed. At night we simply put on the security latch.

When they came in, DW saw them grab the recycle and regular trash can and dumped them both into the same large container in the hallway. We are very conscious of recycling which seemed to be ignored.

This is the first time in 15 years we did not tip. We did not get towels by the 5th day, had to ask twice and then we were left with a garbage bag full of towels and 21 shampoos and conditioners (yes really 21!!) on a chair that evening. They never took the used towels.

Last edited:

When they came in, DW saw them grab the recycle and regular trash can and dumped them both into the same large container in the hallway. We are very conscious of recycling which seemed to be ignored.

We had the same thing in April. We stayed in a one bedroom few days longer than our DD and grandkids, so all the food came to our room. When we left, I toss food, emptied bottles , etc, had the trash/ recycle cans lined up. Pointed out this bag is trash, that bag recycle....only to watch housekeeping put everything in one bag.

We had the same thing in April. We stayed in a one bedroom few days longer than our DD and grandkids, so all the food came to our room. When we left, I toss food, emptied bottles , etc, had the trash/ recycle cans lined up. Pointed out this bag is trash, that bag recycle....only to watch housekeeping put everything in one bag.
I asked a question about the possibility that Orange county has a waste/recycling sorting facility and from a sign posted in the trash room it sounds like they probably do. In that case it would be what I think is called single stream and doesn't actually have to be separated by "residents".

I asked a question about the possibility that Orange county has a waste/recycling sorting facility and from a sign posted in the trash room it sounds like they probably do. In that case it would be what I think is called single stream and doesn't actually have to be separated by "residents".

I did some googling and found this: Systems & Services (rcid.org)

It doesn't mention single stream. In addition the Orange County website doesn't seem to have single stream. They are specific about the 5 kinds of recyclables that can be put in recycle cans, versus garbage cans.

I may not remember correctly, but I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that everything goes to one central place where the recyclables are sorted from the trash. Can't find it again, though.

That's what happens on threads. Especially ones where the OP isn't still active.

I'm often perplexed by people who respond as such. Part of good security training is doing exactly this.

Nothing that they do now would have stopped the Vegas guy. Nothing TSA does now that they didn't do then would have stopped 9/11. Theater. The real stuff can be done without the theater.

Often what is most useful is noticing the people who never allow anyone in over a week and who seem overly anxious about this

See my post about my ex and work travels. He traveled with a ton of weird electronics, some of which were prototypes. His job was on the line to keep those secret. His now-former company doesn't play the games Apple plays where they "accidentally" leave things out.

I don't want to have to put my bras away just to feel comfy that someone might enter the room. I dislike having housekeeping come in. Especially since my WDW stays since 2016 haven't involved park days other than two free DVC parties, I'm in and out of my room a lot, and hate to have to clean up so I'm OK with someone coming in to clean.

As I posted much earlier in the thread, Disney housekeeping is known for parking the cart in front of one open room and going to the next room to clean with the door closed. Anyone small enough to scoot by the cart or strong enough to move the cart can enter that open room that the housekeeper isn't in. Sometimes they get caught (my then-husband did when he went back to the room at Grand Californian to get something for me) but usually they don't. It's a gaping hole in room security.

As I mentioned in your other post, Disney is known to do the sorting behind the scenes.

That's what happens on threads. Especially ones where the OP isn't still active.

Nothing that they do now would have stopped the Vegas guy. Nothing TSA does now that they didn't do then would have stopped 9/11. Theater. The real stuff can be done without the theater.

See my post about my ex and work travels. He traveled with a ton of weird electronics, some of which were prototypes. His job was on the line to keep those secret. His now-former company doesn't play the games Apple plays where they "accidentally" leave things out.

I don't want to have to put my bras away just to feel comfy that someone might enter the room. I dislike having housekeeping come in. Especially since my WDW stays since 2016 haven't involved park days other than two free DVC parties, I'm in and out of my room a lot, and hate to have to clean up so I'm OK with someone coming in to clean.

As I posted much earlier in the thread, Disney housekeeping is known for parking the cart in front of one open room and going to the next room to clean with the door closed. Anyone small enough to scoot by the cart or strong enough to move the cart can enter that open room that the housekeeper isn't in. Sometimes they get caught (my then-husband did when he went back to the room at Grand Californian to get something for me) but usually they don't. It's a gaping hole in room security.

As I mentioned in your other post, Disney is known to do the sorting behind the scenes.

Funny story at VGC. My nephew and his wife were departing a day before the rest of us. We were at the park and they got delayed leaving because of a ride breaking down. When they ran back to the room to grab their bags housekeeping was there and as you say had the door kind of blocked but not totally and the door was open so they didn't have to use a key to get in. So you can imagine 2 people running in and grabbing bags and running back out while a housekeeper is trying to stop them. She wasn't able to as they were in a hurry and kept saying that they were their bags. She did get her supervisor immediately who contact the manager on duty who pulled up my phone number and called me to notify and check if they were legit. I'm guessing that was 5-10 minutes tops from the time it happened to the phone call to me. I then was letting my nephew know about the ruckus they caused while they were just getting picked up by the bus.

Just popping to say that I do appreciate everyones responses. I have been reading them, I just don't think I need to reply to each one so I am still active on this thread. I think its good for everyone to share their experiences and ideas on what works for them. I have certainly gotten some good ideas from some of you so thank you very much!

Anything and everything is locked up in a suitcase prior to leaving the room. Doesn't matter what or how long we will be gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter