It's gonna take a lot to take me away from this view! 7/10 - Finished!

Hi guys!
I had started typing this all up yesterday at work but then didn't get a chance to post it. I wanted to do it today before I forgot about it.

Review: Animal Kingdom Lodge​

Back story:
We had been saving up for a Germany trip that wound up not working out. We knew what to do of course -- book a Disney trip! But with the extra money we had managed to save up we had a thought. Why not book a moderate hotel?

Well clearly you all know how that worked. It went something like this:

I just don't see enough benefits to moderate, I think I'd rather just stay at Pop.

But I don't want to stay at Pop again.

Just for kicks, price it at AKL.

Holy crow, we can actually do that.

We booked a pool view room on the advice of a Disney agent who assured us that the extra (I want to say $40?) was well worth it over a parking lot view. Sounds good to me!

When we did online check in, we requested a savanna view first, and king bed second.

When we checked in we were shocked to see that our requested savanna view had been granted (though not our king bed, but we were NOT complaining!)

Here is the full review, broken down into sections.

[The Savannas]

Our room was overlooking the Uzima savanna. Haven't heard of it? I wouldn't be surprised, I hadn't. For most people who want a savanna view, it's Arusha or bust!

The Arusha savanna and Sunset savanna are more popular. They're full of zebras and giraffes and your very typical Lion King scene animals.

IMG_4168 by teekathepony, on Flickr

Amazing, of course!

The Uzima savanna had some different animals.

IMG_4994 by teekathepony, on Flickr

Impala, Kudu, Bongo, Blesbok, Thompsons Gazelles and, most incredibly, three Somali Wild A$$ brothers, a species very endangered with less than 700 left in the wild.

IMG_4998 by teekathepony, on Flickr

With numbers like that, I felt like it was an honour to see the three boys every morning. They look a lot like donkeys with zebra striped legs, but I fell in love with those adorable ears and the sweetest, gentlest faces you can imagine.

We walked the entire resort and looked out every single possible view and you know what? We liked our view best.

Here's our view at night:
Uzima by teekathepony, on Flickr

And during the day:
IMG_4699 by teekathepony, on Flickr

Our view looked out over some pretty cool animals, it was a beautiful savanna, but more than that, where the savanna ended, the woods began. You could easily look out and believe you were looking at a real living savanna.

Other views that we saw had the other wing of Jambo house, or Kidani village in the background, some had visible fences, and one big section was by some enormous, loud air vents.

IMG_5069 by teekathepony, on Flickr

We were on the sunrise side of the building which was great for me since I'm the early riser type. Also we were always in the parks during the sunset!

AKL by teekathepony, on Flickr

We wouldn't hesitate to request the exact same room again for that view.

[Uzima Savanna: 5/5 *****]

[The Room]

Room number:
IMG_0523 by teekathepony, on Flickr

Our room was in a great location. From the lobby, we took a right and had a short walk up the hall. No elevators or stairs.

We had two queen sized beds in our room, two sinks, a full bathroom, small table with two chairs, closet, dresser, and of course, a full balcony with two chairs and a small table.

IMG_4673 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_4681 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_4435 by teekathepony, on Flickr

The bed was comfy, the room was a great size for the two of us. Loved having the two sinks when we were getting ready in the mornings!

IMG_4668 by teekathepony, on Flickr

We absolutely loved our room, especially the view. For a couple of first time Deluxe stayers, I must say the most incredible thing was getting to sit out on the balcony.

[Room: 5/5 ****]

[Dining]

Dining locations at AKL include:

Fine/Signature Dining
Jiko – The Cooking Place

Unique/Themed Dining
Boma – Flavors of Africa
Sanaa
Jiko Wine Tasting

Quick-Service
The Mara
Maji Pool Bar
Uzima Springs Pool Bar

Lounges
Cape Town Lounge and Wine Bar
Victoria Falls Lounge

In-Room Dining

Room Service is available from 6:00 AM to Midnight

Of these choices, we went to Boma three times, (twice for breakfast and once for dinner) and The Mara.

Boma

IMG_4276 by teekathepony, on Flickr

I LOVE Boma. I love their breakfast. It's a great big buffet with lots of options. Many very traditional with a few little different flavours thrown in. I can't comment much on their dinner as I was pretty sick that night, but the offerings looked really nice and I know Johnny had a great meal. Boma is a huge draw for us to stay at AKL again, since if you're not staying there, it can be hard to get to first thing in the morning if you don't have a car.

IMG_4278 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_4126 by teekathepony, on Flickr

The Mara

Typical quick service I guess. Compared to what we're used to, it's much smaller than the quick service locations at Pop and Art of Animation, but of course those two resorts have no other choice for food. It offered some quick grab options and a good selection of hot meals. The only thing I didn't love was going outside and around to get to it, it confused us the first night when we were trying to find it, but after that, no problem.

I don't have any real pictures of The Mara but here are the few I do have that could be associated with the place. :rotfl:

IMG_0967 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_0825 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_0824 by teekathepony, on Flickr

And though we never visited, here's a pic of the Victoria Falls Lounge:
(Continued in next post)

[Recreation]

The only real recreation we took advantage of was the pool.

DSCF4272 by teekathepony, on Flickr

And only the Uzima pool (at Jambo house) -- we didn't venture over to Kidani's pool.

DSCF4271 by teekathepony, on Flickr

We loved the pool! It was almost empty each time we used it (YAY thick skinned Canadians visiting in November!) and we really liked it. Loved the slide too, it was fun.

DSCF4279 by teekathepony, on Flickr

DSCF4278 by teekathepony, on Flickr

DSCF4277 by teekathepony, on Flickr

Want to get a feel for the slide? Here's a video.

The pool was gorgeous. Surrounded by lots of lush green tropical plants that made you feel like you were in a jungle pool!

DSCF4280 by teekathepony, on Flickr

DSCF4283 by teekathepony, on Flickr

DSCF4287 by teekathepony, on Flickr

Lots of pool chairs, but I don't know if it would get crowded on a hot summer day.

(By Johnny) by teekathepony, on Flickr

(By Johnny) by teekathepony, on Flickr

I guess the only thing I didn't like about the pool was that it gave me swimmer's ear. :rotfl2:

We also used the hot tubs.

DSCF4291 by teekathepony, on Flickr

Most of the time they were either empty or only one other couple in them. Only one evening were both hot tubs full and we opted out.

[Bus service]

Well, here's where things went downhill I must say. I've stayed at Pop Century 4 times and Art of Animation once and have always championed the Disney transportation service. Busses were great and ran fast and smooth and regular.

Epcot by teekathepony, on Flickr

We found the bus service at AKL to be much slower in both directions than any of our previous experiences using it. I thought maybe it was just us, but our stop at the parks was always right next to Pop and AoA and I counted, they both usually got at least double if not triple the busses AKL did. We never rent a car and don't want to, preferring to let Disney do the driving, but there were a few moments that got me wishing for a car. All in all, it wasn't really bad if you made sure to plan at least a half hour extra before any scheduled events. Anyone used to being on the monorail loop or within walking distance of a park would probably mind it more than we did.

[Bus service: 3/5 ***]

[Theming]

I may not have much experience staying at many different resorts, but I've visited my fair share and have yet to be blown away by theming as much as I was every single time I walked in the AKL lobby.

IMG_5171 by teekathepony, on Flickr

It is so big and impressive and absolutely gorgeous.

IMG_0855 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_0854 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_5168 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_5169 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_4126 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_5211 by teekathepony, on Flickr

IMG_0974 by teekathepony, on Flickr

The theming outside is just as impressive. As I mentioned, very green and lush.

Add to that the real live African animals right outside your window and you've got a winner.

[Theme: 5/5 *****]

[Other thoughts]

The wifi worked great for us, we watched Netflix on my iPad with no problem.
The layout was really quite simple to find your way around.
For animal lovers like us, this place was really something special.

[Final Thoughts and Conclusion]
For our first time staying at a deluxe resort, I'm really glad we went to Animal Kingdom Lodge. We loved it so much. The only real downside was being far from the parks and having less than stellar bus service, which made for long commutes, but every other item in the PROs column made up for it. I would absolutely recommend staying here to anyone who wants to take a little time to relax at the resort. I can't rave enough about this place and would be absolutely happy to stay here again!

That said, we won't be staying here again for a while since we're on a mission to try out every Disney resort possible. But some day when we've tried them all, I'll be very happy to come back to AKL again.

[Animal Kingdom Lodge -- Final Verdict: 5/5 *****]

Love Boma!!! :lovestruc We stayed at OKW last year with a car and ate Boma breakfast twice. In Nov we will be at SSR with no car. Planning on Boma dinner after an AK day and then Boma breakfast on our "no park" morning. Someday I will convince DH to just stay at AKL. :lmao: It is on the short list for Nov 2015.

Awesome! I fell in love with AKL as well. We stayed at Kidani Village though, and would like to stay at the main building if there is a next time we stay Deluxe. Glad you enjoyed it.

Fantastic AKL review! Thank you for sharing! We stay there in October so it just makes me all the more excited and looking forward to staying there, and knowing we picked a good one! :thumbsup2

Ooh, your final review ( adn those darn zebra domes again) make me so excited that our first deluxe stay is going to be Animal Kingdom Lodge. Only 95 more days!

Our 1st trip to WDW with the kiddos we stayed at AKL. I loved it and so did my kids. I've told people that the only issue I had was the busses too. But LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I loved reading your report and getting to relive my favorite resort at WDW (so far;))

Great review of AKL! And you know from my TR how much I fell in love with this beautiful resort. :thumbsup2

We're taking a similar approach when picking resort for our future trips - trying to experience as many different ones as we can, but topping AKL will be a tall order.

The dining options are one of my favorite features of the resort. We've enjoyed Boma during our past trips and we got to try Jiko for the first time in January and loved it! So much so, we're heading back to Jiko next October.

C'mon Wendy, Epcot has Germany!!! What were you thinking??? :laughing:

Yeah, I think your view was pretty spectacular. Especially at night.

Boma seems to be such a draw for people that I can imagine having it right there would be a HUGE bonus.

Yes, I would suggest the bus service to be a downgrade. Less people (than say POP), means less buses and more stops. Since I always have a car, this would be negligible to me, but I imagine for many it could be rough.

A somewhat small thing, but I've found the Wi-Fi at the resorts to be stellar, which becomes a much bigger thing for those of us roamers.

Wonderful summary and review Wendy. There really is very very little to dislike about this resort, and I've only just visited briefly. Even in that short time I fell in love with it.

What a wonderful review of your stay at AKL.

I don't think we can get your view since we are in Kidani, but you saw some beautiful animals from there.

Fortunately, we have always had a car when we stayed at AKL so we've not had to use the buses. We will have a car again in September, but may use the bus to go to AK since it so close. Our only other night there before we move to the Boardwalk Villas, we go to Epcot but not until evening and we will just drive there.

AKL looks so lovely...it's the one disney deluxe hotel I'd love to stay at! Waking up to a safari view every morning sounds ideal :lovestruc

Also the dining options (Sanaa and Boma) are delish ha ha!

Glad to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed yourselves :goodvibes

I almost rented DVC points to stay at AKL. But based on my one experience catching a bus from there after a meal, I was wary. I've been spoiled by the bus service at POFQ!

If I was planning on spending more time at the resort, maybe. But since I prefer to spend most of my time on Main Street or HM... yeah. Probably not in the cards for me. That lobby is something else though! GORGEOUS!

I loved AKL too! I also won't be back for awhile since I'm staying off site next visit and want to get back to the Epcot resorts / CR again first, but I thought AKL was so gorgeous and smelled so good. It was definitely a respite from the hustle of the parks.

I had a car when I stayed there and loved it; it was my first trip with a car at WDW since I was a little girl, and I drove EVERYWHERE and was so glad I had the car! It only took me mere minutes to get to any park, and I was so surprised since most people said it was "so far away from everything". I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, especially if I end up renting points late before a trip (that's how I ended up at AKL the first time!!) - since AKL is usually the DVC with the most last minute points available!

Wonderful review of AKL. It's an awesome resort. I always have a car when I stay there so I can't fully comment on the buses. I think the food choices are the best and I love the theme. I really think its the most unique of all the deluxe resorts.

I have been to that pool when its really crowded and I think that's why DVC members can't pool hop there. Boo!

Just finished your TR, great job! Sorry to hear you ended up sick! I always end up sick right before we leave for vacation. You must be looking forward to your next trip!

Couldn't agree more with your review of AKL. It's a fantastic resort, and even with the slow buses and distance from the parks, it's well worth a stay there. Heck, scrolling through your room picks made me a little homesick for the resort. :rotfl2:

I am glad you two were able to stay there for your trip and that you both got to experience a deluxe. It seems like AKL was a clear winner, and with you getting sick, having such a nice resort to have to spend a lot of time in was beneficial.

We loved staying at Kidani. Having the animals outside your room day and night was amazing. I sat on the balcony and ate yogurt for breakfast every morning with the giraffes.

Great trip report! So sorry you got sick, but at least it was at the end. That is how it always goes.

Oh dear! I've been a bad Diser again. We got hit with a heat wave! My kayaks are so tempting! We had a national holiday! (Happy birthday, Canada!) Johnny got into a fender bender (he's fine, the truck? Not so much!) lots going on and I just have not been able to get a chance to get back here. The trouble is that I now am so far behind it will take me my whole day off to catch up! :lmao: Better get started!

Love Boma!!! :lovestruc We stayed at OKW last year with a car and ate Boma breakfast twice. In Nov we will be at SSR with no car. Planning on Boma dinner after an AK day and then Boma breakfast on our "no park" morning. Someday I will convince DH to just stay at AKL. :lmao: It is on the short list for Nov 2015.
Yesss, someday you must! heehe I hope it works out for November 2015!

Awesome! I fell in love with AKL as well. We stayed at Kidani Village though, and would like to stay at the main building if there is a next time we stay Deluxe. Glad you enjoyed it.
We loved it, I wouldn't mind trying Kidani some time, but Jambo house was really fantastic!

Fantastic AKL review! Thank you for sharing! We stay there in October so it just makes me all the more excited and looking forward to staying there, and knowing we picked a good one! :thumbsup2
You are welcome, glad you liked it! I can't wait to hear about your stay in October, we loved it and I'm very sure you will too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter