It's gonna take a lot to take me away from this view! 7/10 - Finished!

Ooh, your final review ( adn those darn zebra domes again) make me so excited that our first deluxe stay is going to be Animal Kingdom Lodge. Only 95 more days!
Zebra domes are the best, I could definitely eat them every day. AKL is so wonderful, I know you'll love it!

Our 1st trip to WDW with the kiddos we stayed at AKL. I loved it and so did my kids. I've told people that the only issue I had was the busses too. But LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I loved reading your report and getting to relive my favorite resort at WDW (so far;))
The busses were the only small downside, but they still got us where we needed to go so it wasn't too major. :thumbsup2

Great review of AKL! And you know from my TR how much I fell in love with this beautiful resort. :thumbsup2

We're taking a similar approach when picking resort for our future trips - trying to experience as many different ones as we can, but topping AKL will be a tall order.

The dining options are one of my favorite features of the resort. We've enjoyed Boma during our past trips and we got to try Jiko for the first time in January and loved it! So much so, we're heading back to Jiko next October.
Ahhh it's an easy one to fall in love with, isn't it?
I totally agree, it will be hard to top AKL (but that doesn't mean I won't try!! :rotfl: )
I would like to try Jiko, I'm scared because I'm so picky, but I really do have to try it some time.

C'mon Wendy, Epcot has Germany!!! What were you thinking??? :laughing:
You laugh, but we've used that logic in previous years! :rotfl:

Yeah, I think your view was pretty spectacular. Especially at night.
It was wonderful, we enjoyed it so much.

Boma seems to be such a draw for people that I can imagine having it right there would be a HUGE bonus.
It was at the top of our PROs list for AKL! We love it (you should try it some time!)

Yes, I would suggest the bus service to be a downgrade. Less people (than say POP), means less buses and more stops. Since I always have a car, this would be negligible to me, but I imagine for many it could be rough.
It was hard coming from Pop where the bus service was almost always superior, but in hindsight, it did get me to where I wanted to go. Let's call it effective enough. :thumbsup2

A somewhat small thing, but I've found the Wi-Fi at the resorts to be stellar, which becomes a much bigger thing for those of us roamers.
Absolutely, and in the parks too! I keep my data roaming turned off so it's nice to be able to keep in touch with my party when we split up using the Wifi.

Wonderful summary and review Wendy. There really is very very little to dislike about this resort, and I've only just visited briefly. Even in that short time I fell in love with it.
Thank you Rob! It's easy to fall in love with the place for sure. I'm glad we got to spend some quality time there!

What a wonderful review of your stay at AKL.
Thanks, Kathy!

I don't think we can get your view since we are in Kidani, but you saw some beautiful animals from there.
You're right, we were around the other side of the building. They were a very interesting bunch of animals, we loved it!

Fortunately, we have always had a car when we stayed at AKL so we've not had to use the buses. We will have a car again in September, but may use the bus to go to AK since it so close. Our only other night there before we move to the Boardwalk Villas, we go to Epcot but not until evening and we will just drive there.
I think having a car would save a lot of time, I like when Disney drives but the benefits of my own transportation are tempting!

AKL looks so lovely...it's the one disney deluxe hotel I'd love to stay at! Waking up to a safari view every morning sounds ideal :lovestruc
Ideal is right, it was so incredibly relaxing there. Very nice!

Also the dining options (Sanaa and Boma) are delish ha ha!
I haven't tried Sanaa. Someday!

Glad to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed yourselves :goodvibes
We did indeed, it's on our list to do again!

I almost rented DVC points to stay at AKL. But based on my one experience catching a bus from there after a meal, I was wary. I've been spoiled by the bus service at POFQ!
In the mornings and evenings busses were pretty good, but mid-day was always a long wait. I was the same, spoiled by the Pop busses!

If I was planning on spending more time at the resort, maybe. But since I prefer to spend most of my time on Main Street or HM... yeah. Probably not in the cards for me. That lobby is something else though! GORGEOUS!
We have always been the type to spend all our time in the parks and none at the resorts -- that's why we never went higher than the values! But this time we were out for something different. It was a nice change for us, and somewhat unexpected.

I loved AKL too! I also won't be back for awhile since I'm staying off site next visit and want to get back to the Epcot resorts / CR again first, but I thought AKL was so gorgeous and smelled so good. It was definitely a respite from the hustle of the parks.
It did smell good. And such a nice relaxing place too. I can't wait to get back, despite saying I want to try all of the other resorts first!

I had a car when I stayed there and loved it; it was my first trip with a car at WDW since I was a little girl, and I drove EVERYWHERE and was so glad I had the car! It only took me mere minutes to get to any park, and I was so surprised since most people said it was "so far away from everything". I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, especially if I end up renting points late before a trip (that's how I ended up at AKL the first time!!) - since AKL is usually the DVC with the most last minute points available!
Having a car sounds appealing, I can see the benefits of not waiting for a bus!

Wonderful review of AKL. It's an awesome resort. I always have a car when I stay there so I can't fully comment on the buses. I think the food choices are the best and I love the theme. I really think its the most unique of all the deluxe resorts.
Thanks, Mary Ellen! We loved it. Definitely a unique theme!

I have been to that pool when its really crowded and I think that's why DVC members can't pool hop there. Boo!
Ahh I imagine it could get really crowded. Yay November!

Just finished your TR, great job! Sorry to hear you ended up sick! I always end up sick right before we leave for vacation. You must be looking forward to your next trip!
Thank you! I usually get sick for at lest one day of each trip. :rotfl2:

You sold me, well kind of, AKL is now on the list. Right now it was just between CB and BC. The deciding factor would come down to what we can afford. I do think CB will win only cause our next trip is center around food. Although I know Chris would love the animals and I would love one trip down that slide.
I really enjoyed your trip report and look forward to your next. You have a great writing style.

I know I'm way late getting in on this trip report but I thought I would let you know how much I have enjoyed it!

You sold me, well kind of, AKL is now on the list. Right now it was just between CB and BC. The deciding factor would come down to what we can afford. I do think CB will win only cause our next trip is center around food. Although I know Chris would love the animals and I would love one trip down that slide.
I really enjoyed your trip report and look forward to your next. You have a great writing style.
Ahhh AKL is quite lovely, I like seeing people add it to their lists :thumbsup2
So glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for reading along!

OMG an upgrade?? I'm going soon, can't wait to read more!! :)
Yep, it was a magical trip!

I know I'm way late getting in on this trip report but I thought I would let you know how much I have enjoyed it!
Thank you so much!!

It seems that since the sun found us, I only ever come here to apologize any more.

Sorry for that.

canadianstats-sorryiseethatyouarebusyright_be1e3d_3967305.jpg

I had planned to do a few more posts, but if I'm being honest with myself, that was just to draw this report out so I don't have to post much on my PTR which is so up in the air right now. Also, in just 3 days I leave for my trip to Germany and I would love to finish up a few things. (Ironically, by finishing up things on the DIS I am neglecting to finish up other things. Like packing. :rotfl: )

So to conclude this trip report, I'll run through a brief summary, hitting some of the highlights, and then allow this one to come to an end.

If anyone who hasn't already joined me for my Pre-Trip Report would care to do so, you can find it here: Dole Whip is a Dish Best Served Cold. As well as the will they/won't they tension of my upcoming trip, I will also be sharing a short trip report from my Germany trip there if anyone is interested!

Summary: November 2013

November 11: Checked in, got a surprise upgrade to Savanna view.

10953444776_bf2a208a3a_z.jpg

November 12: Discovered some animals.

11115749495_608e318e21_z.jpg

Went to Epcot.

11337675215_ccfb70d132_z.jpg

Ate at Via Napoli for the first time.

11228056983_0fbe0cdc1a_z.jpg

Saw IllumiNations (through glasses, after a crazy run to AKL and back!)

11226765243_c3563c7b0c_z.jpg

November 13: Had some tonga toast.

12086884423_3688725567_z.jpg

Went to Magic Kingdom.

12088256993_ac1da0f28d_z.jpg

Ate at (and LOVED) Be Our Guest. Twice.

12086779845_43e7ef8d27_z.jpg

Rode some awesome rides.

12087935605_ec53365661_z.jpg

Skipped the fireworks.

12223663764_081fc85368_z.jpg

November 14: Had some yummy breakfast.

12818277374_3cca26a175_z.jpg

Left my camera in the room (on purpose!!) and went to Animal Kingdom.

12225714903_8c475c7608_z.jpg

Switched parks. Had a Dismeet.

IMG_20131114_194102_447.jpg

Went to a party.

13536509833_c3a1bc1351_z.jpg

Saw some fireworks.

13538898793_827b240af0_z.jpg

(Continued in next post)

(continued)

November 15: Tried out the pool:

13669015943_acf77dc208_z.jpg

Had a late start at Hollywood Studios.

13675202043_692ec8fe1b_z.jpg

Rode a favourite ride.

13675080945_9989f5d216_z.jpg

Had some crappy food in some awesome atmosphere.

13674875854_fb8770bba3_z.jpg

Soaked in some incredible Christmas lights (and some rain.)

13674519143_dd95521d0a_z.jpg

November 16: Took it slow.

14056767193_21daf4c536_z.jpg

Had dinner with some dinos.

14184354644_cbd193194e_z.jpg

Had some sweets...

14181957732_2ccc54c0a4_z.jpg

... while watching fireworks.

13997916738_56a98897bd_z.jpg

November 17: Woke up sick.

14164895738_5c0f56c7aa_z.jpg

Toured resorts.

14164915830_c92a1c0d3b_z.jpg

November 18: Went home.

1468551_10151816436502989_776604877_n.jpg

It was a wonderful trip, absolutely hands down one of our top two best yet (and maybe even #1!) We loved the resort, we even enjoyed Fastpass+ a lot more than the previous trip.

I want to thank each one of you for reading along. Thank you for your comments, compliments, and questions. Thank you for helping me to keep the magic going, well beyond the extent of the trip itself.

tumblr_lzx37da2ki1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

Don't forget to join me in my PTR (link in my signature) to see if I actually go to Disney in September or not! (Yes, it's still up in the air!)

And with that I'd say...

tumblr_m5xgh9ycrW1r8d9g0.gif

Wendy, what a wonderful recap! Loved the pictures.

I will continue to follow your PTR to see if you end up going in September, etc.

Have a marvelous trip to Germany. I can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm with Kathy...awesome wrap up!

Have a fantastic trip!

Jill in CO

I loved your TR and your final thoughts and if I have to pack a tripod and practice everyday to take good firework pics that is my goal.

I hope you have a fab time in Germany and I hope things get decided soon with the September trip. It must be hard to have that undecided.

So sorry you ended up sick at the end of this trip. Still seems like a bummer.

Happy Travels!!!!! Enjoy!

Have a great time in Germany!

Enjoyed reading your TR, and I hope a trip happens in Sept if for no other reason than to have another TR of yours to read.:rotfl::thumbsup2

Hi again! I haven't posted in a really long time, but I've been following along (here and on your PTR) and just wanted tho tell you how much I've enjoyed reliving this trip with you.

And I really enjoyed your final strap-up - so cute!

Thanks for sharing!

I'm so sorry you feel the need to say you're sorry. Incidentally, that "Stats Can" number seems a bit low. I'm sure they'll apologize for that though.

Oh I definitely want to hear about the Germany trip.

Haha, wow, so funny to look back. Especially at the endless glasses retrieval. It seems so long ago.

AHHHHHH I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad:

And I also can't believe September is still in Limbo because, well, lets just say it would be nice if you went...

Wendy, what a wonderful recap! Loved the pictures.
Thanks Kathy! It was fun to go quickly back over the whole thing.

I will continue to follow your PTR to see if you end up going in September, etc.
I'm really hoping to have an answer soon!

Have a marvelous trip to Germany. I can't wait to hear all about it.
Thank you!

I'm with Kathy...awesome wrap up!

Have a fantastic trip!

Jill in CO
Thank you x2!

I loved your TR and your final thoughts and if I have to pack a tripod and practice everyday to take good firework pics that is my goal.
Thanks Mary Ellen! Practice is about all I can prescribe! There are a few tips I'll go back over in my PTR when I get a chance. :goodvibes

I hope you have a fab time in Germany and I hope things get decided soon with the September trip. It must be hard to have that undecided.
Thanks! I'm hoping to have an answer about September soon after we get back from Germany.

So sorry you ended up sick at the end of this trip. Still seems like a bummer.
Ahh, it was, but it's long over now at least!

Happy Travels!!!!! Enjoy!
Thank you!

Have a great time in Germany!!! Take LOTS of pics so you can share with us!
Thank you! That's the plan, I spent today getting my memory cards all ready. :goodvibes

Have a great time in Germany!
Thank you!!

Enjoyed reading your TR, and I hope a trip happens in Sept if for no other reason than to have another TR of yours to read.:rotfl::thumbsup2
Hahaha that works for me, I'd like to have another one to write! I hope to have an answer sooner than later!

Hi again! I haven't posted in a really long time, but I've been following along (here and on your PTR) and just wanted tho tell you how much I've enjoyed reliving this trip with you.

And I really enjoyed your final strap-up - so cute!

Thanks for sharing!
Hello again! Thanks for popping by again :goodvibes I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I'm so sorry you feel the need to say you're sorry. Incidentally, that "Stats Can" number seems a bit low. I'm sure they'll apologize for that though.
They'll have to apologize for issuing another apology first. :rotfl:

Oh I definitely want to hear about the Germany trip.
Consider it done!

Haha, wow, so funny to look back. Especially at the endless glasses retrieval. It seems so long ago.
It does, it feels like forever ago.

AHHHHHH I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad:
Me either. I loved this trip so much that I'd love to stretch it out even more... if I had more time to DIS I just might ;)

And I also can't believe September is still in Limbo because, well, lets just say it would be nice if you went...
OMG WHAT DOES IT MEAN?? Aaaaah! There are so many DIsers going to be there at the same time!

Great recap! I loved reading about your trip and seeing your beautiful pictures! Thank you so much for sharing and I look forward to hearing about Germany and maybe about Sept if it happens, and if not then Anniversary trip next year!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter