• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's just a jump to the left...

Enjoyed it at the 8th Street Playhouse in The Village at least five or six times, probably around 1984-85 ish. I remember teaching my baby sisters the Time Warp when they were 5 and 7. My 30 year old also participated near where we live when she was a teen and young adult.

Midnight on Friday and Saturday nights every weekend for many years. Toast, newspapers, and rice were all promoted to bring into each showing while the actors were in front of the screen doing their scenes. I did it once.

was released my freshman year in high school-finaly got to see it a couple of years later. spent many a saturday night watching it. in the early 80's i convinced my mom and her lady friends (all in their mid 50's) to take in a midnight showing-of course someone in the crowd asked how many times they had seen it before and when they replied 'it's our first time' the chant of 'virgins, virgins, virgins' began to rise :banana: :banana: :banana: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The UC Theater (which has never been affiliated with the university) had a 22 year run - mostly with a group doing reenactments during the movie at the stage in front.
saw it there a handful of times (parking was a pain) but many more in concord california.

My first clue that this was a different movie was the sign at the door of the theater that said "No toast, rice or water sprayers allowed"

i worked at a beautifuly refurbished former movie theater in the bay area that decided to give a run at midnight showings-even though we did pat-downs and confiscated many boxes/bags of rice and bread the theater was such a mess the owners called it off after the first couple of weekends.

“Productive” midnights spent at the Waverly with Brad, “Damnit Janice”, and allll the sweet transvestites from Transylvania-aaaaa-a checking out what’s on the slab.
Good times then and I’m sure in the future 😎

Watched the London production from 2015 on Youtube yesterday. Not sure what it was for but they had several British celebrities like Stephen Fry as the narrator.

In the early 2000s in NL we had a low budget stage adaptation, Rocky over the Rainbow, combining the Rocky Horror Picture Show with The Wizard of Oz, it was wild! Dorothy and the Lion joined Brad and Janet, and she constantly tried to sing Somewhere over the Rainbow, but constantly got interrupted by Transylvanian madness.

Sorry, guys, almost everything about this show and movie annoyed me, and I could never understand the appeal. The Big Lebowski is like that for me too. But I did chuckle when I saw this tweet from Chaucer:

1698487589586.png

I have seen every scene of the movie too many times to count but have never seen them in the correct order. The local theatre use to hire us every weekend for security The job entailed searching customers for any contraband that may damage the screen (water guns for the rain scene, for example) and patrolling the showing for anything that may have gotten by us. It would have been inappropriate for us to participate in "time warping" but I will say, those movie goers were serious about their movie. The had a lot of fun.

I have never seen it :duck:
I’ve always wanted to - I really really need to ::yes::

My university is hosting a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and we have a member of the original London cast to introduce the film. On Monday night, I will be dancing and singing with my University president in one of the ultimate celebrations of acceptance and debauchery.

So what say you, Dis-folks? How many times have YOU danced the Time Warp?
Lost count. lol

My now wife (then girlfriend) and I went with a bunch of co-workers to a Saturday Midnight showing. I had never heard of the movie. My first clue that this was a different movie was the sign at the door of the theater that said "No toast, rice or water sprayers allowed". That was the only time I saw it in a theater, no clue how many times I have seen it since on TV. That was 1981.
Party poopers. I remember midnight showings where this was encouraged not forbidden

I love the song when it hits the Halloween playlist.

As far as the movie goes... I just didn't "get it".

I remember in college having a professor tell us that this was the most fun you would ever have, and the greatest thing you will ever see. (Granted I didn't even have a clue where a live showing was) I rented the movie one night, and after it was over, I sat there like what did I just see :confused:

I hear it's on Hulu and I am on vacay, maybe I should see if this many years later it will make more sense.

I have only ever watched it on TV. While I love Tim Curry and his fearless strut in those heels, I didn't enjoy the movie itself much. Maybe you need the group experience? Back in the day when people were into Rocky Horror I was going to Star Trek and Doctor Who conventions, totally different fan base with its own set of rituals and experiences.

I’ve seen it about 15 times in a movie theater in the late 70s. It was fun when it was just audience participation, throwing toast, lighting a cigarette lighter, etc.

The whole experience was ruined when ”look at me!!!“ exhibitionists started dressing up as characters and acting out the scenes in front of the screen.

The last time I saw it was around 1981. :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter