It's our first (any probably only time)... help us make this trip amazing!

KirstyMcgee

Earning My Ears
So we are travelling over to Anaheim for the first time from the UK early August. We have the 3 day park hopper (and then a day at Universal). My daughter is 9 and pretty brave and my son turns 6 whilst in the parks!
I will read through the forums for guidance but it seems such a minefield. Key thigs for us as this may be our only visit due to living so far so what are the things we really MUST do? We are staying in a condo about 10 mins from the park.

What time should we aim to arrive?
If we go back for a rest, what's the best time to do this?
What are the rides we simply must do?
What shows should we priototise?
On my son's birthday... what can we do to make it extra special?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. FYI we have Grandma with us who is happy to queue for us/walk anywhere we need her to as she doesn't like the rides!!

Many thanks :)

* hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...it is going to be hot in a concrete environment....so have water in the room and carry it with you in the parks. Becasue from what I see from watching the Open closing for the day, it won't be cool in California

* early, early, early,,,,with a dosage of late. having Grandma to watch the kids at night, will make more of the scary E attractions available.

* rest, rest, rest, leave the park around 1-2ish and return to condo to hydrate, lay down, snack, shower, make plans for the evening, return around 6:00, plan easy rides for kids and Grandma in the same area, while you ride the scary E attractions. For example, nemo or buzz while you ride space mt.

those are the three keys to a successful hot August trip

what is your Disney experince??

As for must dos...there are only three, visit Raditor springs at night, POC and Haunted mansion.

if you like getting wet, then add Grizzly Run and Splash, Grizzly will give you a taste of California and splash is full of Disney and USA history.

If you like roller coasters, then the Matterhorn for its history and all the others.

Everything else will fall place and is more of the fabric of traditional Disneyland visitors then for first time visitors.

Ask everyone in the family what are the rides, attractions, etc they want to see, do, eat, and then, pick the top two or three from everyone to make sure you do every day since you are there for 3 days. Be there when the gates open first thing in the morning, it does help. Bring water and sunscreen.
If you do not want to leave the parks to go back to your condo but need a break from the heat and the crowds, schedule a table service meal for a late lunch/early dinner (3-4 ish) so you will get out of the crowds, out of the heat and have a moment to relax, enjoy a good meal talking about your day so far and what you want to do next. Carnation Cafe is a great place to have the afternoon lunch/early dinner. Once done, cross Main Street and see Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. There are a few places to grab a snack/meal out of the heat that are counter service. My favorite is Whitewater Snacks in the GCH. Great place to cool off, relax and enjoy a bite to eat.(and still people watch the ones in DCA). On your last day in the parks, go inside the candy stores on Main Street and Buena Vista Street to purchase handmade goodies for your ride home. Makes leaving less painful. Marcelines in DTD is good to get goodies too, but you need to watch what time they close.

I would arrive at the park approx. one hour before open (sounds like you'll have one EMH, so also arrive an hour earlier on that day). Because of lower crowds, you can get more accomplished in the first two hours of park open than you can in four hours in the afternoon.

Have a plan. Decide what rides/attractions are a priority for you and your family. If you aim to do Peter Pan (and why wouldn't you?), do that immediately after the rope drop. I'm almost always within the first five riders and there's virtually no wait. Withing two minutes of the rope drop, the wait spikes to 20 minutes. Another two minutes and it's closer to 40. Do PP early or not at all.

Use Fast Passes as much as possible.

Download and use the DL app. It's free and it'll help with knowing wait times, which rides allow Fast Passes, a map of the park, etc.

The day before your son's birthday, get a birthday pin for him. That way he can wear it all day on his actual bday. Maybe get it without him knowing and then give it to him at the condo on the morning of.

Have a great time! I go to DL about once a week. It's truly awesome.

P.S. If possible, do Universal first. I feel that DL is better and it's always easier to go from mediocre/decent to spectacular. To go the other way isn't as easy. Consider Universal the opening act for DL ;-).

Last edited:

Pirates of the Caribbean

so on Saturday, using your early entry , and the good advice that WK gave you about hour before openng is good, this will allow you to be at rope drop in front of the castle for Peter Pan on Saturday, but do not try it on Friday.

Friday. Friday should be the day that head to the Rivers of America area, ROA, that has frontierland, Adventureland and critter country and new orleans square....now that may sound huge, but its not, you can stand at one particualar spot and see all the lands. the reason this is th first choice, is that most folks head to traditioanl always first rides and modern tomorrowland. it is a slower pace in the ROA area and fun with details that make Disneyland great.

if you arrive hour early on friday, then you can slowly asorb main street, which is the facade of the giant shopping mall that you can enter at night if you choose. Once you have the ROA done, then head over to DCA and take in a few choices, get a feel of the land, catch a ride or two, then escape from the heat. Go back to DCA that night to RS all lit up, catch a few dark rides and treats.

Saturday would be Fantasy land and tomorrowland, then back to DCA for Grizzly Run, back to condo to change wet clothes, come back to the evening for Disneyland

Sunday, after doing research on how to find fastpass system for Raditor springs racer, do your morning for that attraction and GOTG, then once fast pass are planned/gathered, take in the small details of DCA. Since it is your last day, depenging on how tired and hot you are, stay all day in both parks.

I don't think there is anything more magical than the fireworks over the castle so I'd recommend you try to include the whole family for that if you can. Check the schedule because they don't always do them everynight and even if they do they can be cancelled due to weather, like wind you don't even know about at higher elevation because of fire danger. My first trip with our kids they ended up being cancelled but luckily we saw them the next night. Grandma could be great at holding spots for fireworks and the other nighttime shows. Does your son like Star Wars? My son absolutely loved Jedi Training, where you battle the bad guys. The shows and meals are a great escape from the hottest part of the day. There are rides like Pirates and it's a small world that are longer and very relaxing but it's a small world can have a long wait in the sun. Do your kids like trivia? My 7 yr old is big on trivia now so I'm getting him some books about the history of the park. That could be fun plane reading. There are also a lot of hidden Mickeys and other things to look for as you are in line which could be fun to know about. I had a book on the hidden mickeys to entertain the kids on our last trip.

Make sure Grandma does do most of the rides! They are really very fun and gentle for the most part. I hate roller coasters and there is still plenty for me to enjoy. The rides with height requirements are a good indicator of rides to be wary of. There are descriptions and videos of most rides so you could prepare in advance.

Definitely pad your arrival time. The security line can take forever!

Definitely pad your arrival time. The security line can take forever!

I always arrive at the parking structure around 7:00 a.m. on Sundays. At that time, security takes less than a minute. This is another good reason for arriving as early as possible. Also, because of the time difference between LA and the UK, getting up at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. shouldn't be too difficult (says the morning person ;-)).

One thing to note about your schedule is that because you're there Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the early entry schedule will be:

Friday - DCA has EE
Saturday - DL has EE
Sunday - DCA has EE

Normally you should start at the park that does NOT have EE unless you have EE, otherwise you'll be entering the parks after the guests with EE have already been there for an hour. Just note that doing that will have you going to DL first every day if you opt to use your EE on Saturday.

So if you want to enter through DCA one morning, your options would be to either NOT use your EE on Saturday and start Saturday at DCA instead, or use your EE on Saturday and enter DCA first on either Friday or Sunday after it's already been open an hour. Personally I'd do the former, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Must-do's really depend on what the people in your family like. The must-do's all four of the people in our family have in common are Pirates, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Big Thunder Mountain, and Indy at DL. The more adventurous would add Space Mountain. At DCA, we all agree on Grizzly River, Soarin', Little Mermaid, and RSR. The more adventurous add California Screamin'. We all love World of Color and we used to love Fantasmic before they changed it; haven't seen it since that's been done. We like the parades and fireworks but don't really consider them must-dos because it's such a great time to ride things due to low crowds on the rides at that time.

For DS birthday, WOC Dessert Party would be a big treat if you have the budget for it.

Whatever you do, take full advantage of fast passes whether or not you have MaxPass. And arrive at the gate at least 45 minutes before opening.

so just a clarification about not using your MM on Saturday.....folks who use EE are only hotel guests of Disney properties, so not a large segment of folks already in DCA when you enter it Sunday, and you know the lay of the land by then, but where as if you are in Disneyland on Saturday, you have an hour and 10 min start on the folks behind you, a significant crush of folks behind you, and though 10 mins may not seem like much, is an advantage to a first time visitor.

to folks who have made mulitple visits to Disneyland, then entering DCA on Saturday provides a great advantage, because they have no early entry into Disneyland or DCA so it provides a level fastpass grabbing start, and they know the lay-out of DCA.

Yay!!! Woo-hoo!!! The ages of your children are some of the best!! :)

1. Your daughter would likely love doing the Animation Academy, your six year old may rather catch a ride. Maybe have the entire family do one character sketch, then have your daughter pick her favorite character and go back with you or grandma to get a break from the heat :)
2. Get Birthday button for your son at guest services desk as you enter the park. He will love the attention.
3. If they like pin-trading, buy a few pins off eBay or the like and let them trade them with Cast-Members (CM)
4. Bring $10 worth of quarters (most banks or grocery stores will give you a roll) and we put ours in a mini-M&Ms single serve tube. Along with pennies for the penny press machines. My kids still go back and look at all their pennies! 50 cents per penny pressed. Pennies made before 1982 make better presses! We clean ours with white vinegar before we press them.
5. Get them each a signature book-lots of spots to get photo ops with characters and get their signatures!
6. If you can swing a character meal, I'd do the one at the Plaza Inn.
7. Not Disney, but find your nearest Krispy Kreme donut shop and get one hot off the conveyor...heaven!
8. Read up on fastpasses...use them
9. Download the Disneyland App, Verizon has the best service here in states..might be worth it to tie into their networks to use Disney app?
10. Enjoy!! Take your time and take lots of pictures!!

Any advice would be very much appreciated. FYI we have Grandma with us who is happy to queue for us/walk anywhere we need her to as she doesn't like the rides!!

Many thanks :)

I'll bet there will be several rides that Grandma would enjoy. If she doesn't like thrill rides, perhaps she would like the dark rides (for example Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland). These are very gentle rides that feature Disney characters and scenes from movies. The train is also a nice ride that gives a good tour of the park. My mom loves It's a Small World, which is a slow boat ride with no sudden drops or turns. I would recommend reading the ride descriptions in both parks to see what she might enjoy. Also, you said that Grandma would be happy to queue for you. Just be aware that the family is supposed to enter ride queues as a group. It's generally frowned upon to have one person wait in a queue and have the others join them later. Many of the lines are quite narrow and it's very difficult to squeeze by people to join Grandma. Also, many people in line might get a bit upset that people are passing them, even if one member of the party is up ahead. However, if Grandma wants to wait in the queue with you but not ride, she can just tell the Cast Member at the front of the line and she will be directed to a place where she can wait until the rest of you exit the ride.

I'll bet there will be several rides that Grandma would enjoy. If she doesn't like thrill rides, perhaps she would like the dark rides (for example Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland). These are very gentle rides that feature Disney characters and scenes from movies. The train is also a nice ride that gives a good tour of the park. My mom loves It's a Small World, which is a slow boat ride with no sudden drops or turns. I would recommend reading the ride descriptions in both parks to see what she might enjoy. Also, you said that Grandma would be happy to queue for you. Just be aware that the family is supposed to enter ride queues as a group. It's generally frowned upon to have one person wait in a queue and have the others join them later. Many of the lines are quite narrow and it's very difficult to squeeze by people to join Grandma. Also, many people in line might get a bit upset that people are passing them, even if one member of the party is up ahead. However, if Grandma wants to wait in the queue with you but not ride, she can just tell the Cast Member at the front of the line and she will be directed to a place where she can wait until the rest of you exit the ride.

Agree with Luv Bunnies. My Mom (last trip she was 63) who is not a fan of rides rode everything (including California Screaming)!! There is something about Disney that brings out the kid in us all! I also agree with making Grandma enter queues without all of you, frowned upon. Everyone gets a bathroom emergency, but I have seen people in line refuse to let people by them to join their group as it is hard to squish by all those people in such a small space!

As for the rides, I would let everyone pick their top 2 ride/show/etc they want to do for the day and let that be your goal! try to plan them so you are not running all over the park.

I would skip the mid day rest as you have limited time.

*if you get motion sickness take a lot of Gravol to Universal*

Hydrate, get there early, use FP when available, take lots of pictures, take a ton of patience, remember to slow down and enjoy the fact that you are at Disney!

Have a magical time!

attractions to see at night also
* small world
* canal boat ride
*autopia
*NOS
*Railroad
*Toontown
*BTMRR
these are attractions we take in at night after resting at the lodging, rather than dragging thru the weekend crowd and heat in mid-day. Resting at mid-day is in relatinship to your own at home walking around the block, physical prepardness, the weather in UK and jet lag

So we are travelling over to Anaheim for the first time from the UK early August. We have the 3 day park hopper (and then a day at Universal). My daughter is 9 and pretty brave and my son turns 6 whilst in the parks!

waves hi from an Irish person who is a regualr visiter to Disneyland California. You have been given some really great advice from PP, go through each post and really listen to what has been said.

Im going to add specific advice from an Irish / UK perspective.

1. The weather. Its hot in California and even hotter in Disneyland. I go in June and temperatures average about 40 C. The parks are hotter than the actual Anaheim temperature due to the sun reflecting back from the concrete buildings and walkways / paths.

I bring about 3 bottles of water / cola with me into the parks each day. Bottled drinks can be expensive in the parks, usually about $3 for a normal 750ml bottle. I usually buy my drinks outside the park. This year I went to Walgreens at the intersection of Harbour Blvd and Katella and bought a gallon of water. I kept this in the fridge of my hotel room and refilled my bottles each day. There are plenty of free water fountains in the park, but being an International visitor I try not to drink straight tap water when Im in USA.

As well as my bottled drinks in my backpack, I also make sure to have other types of drinks, like Starbucks coffee, a Dole whip icecream, Mint Julip etc.

You will notice the temperatures starting to rise from about 11am and it just gets hotter and hotter.

2. Sunscreen
I use Factor 50 Boots Soltan, both on my face and body. I apply to all exposed skin, including feet before I leave my hotel and bring the bottle with me to the parks. You will find the heat just melts off your sunscreen. I bring facewipes to the park with me and about every 2 hours I go to a restroom (bathroom) and wash my face and reapply sunscreen. Sorry for the TMI but I also use the wipes on my underarms and boobs and reapply deodorant. My Irish body does not cope well with the Cali heat :blush: I wear leggings so that my legs are covered and I bring a light cardigan / shrug to cover my arms. I usually have my arms covered from about 11am to 6pm.

I also bring a small fan with me. Some people use a small battery powered fan but I use a fan fan. I also wear sunglasses permanently. I used to wear a hat but I dont now as it just annoyed me too much and made my head / hair too sweaty.

It gets dark alot earlier in California than it does in UK and Ireland. When I was there in June it was dark by 8.30pm in Disneyland, compared to 10pm here in Dublin.

What time should we aim to arrive?
This year I got to the park entrance security check area about 7.45am, the park opened at 8am. At that time of the morning they have every turnstile manned, so just walk up through the plaza and find a relatively short line. The lines at the edges near the security check areas are longer than the lines at the centre of the plaza.

The time between 8am and about 11.30am is the quietest and also the coolest. I got so much done during this time. This is when you should aim to do the headliners which dont have fastpasses like Peter Pan, Pirates of The Caribbean, Autopia etc. The wait times for Pirates went stupid crazy, almost 2 hours at one stage in the afternoons. During this time, just do ride after ride, dont shop or snack or eat.

If we go back for a rest, what's the best time to do this?
I dont go back to my hotel for a rest but usually between 1pm and about 5pm I slow down. During this time I try to stay indoors in various places, out of the baking sun. I shop, go to to shows like Great Moments With Mr Lincoln on Main Street, Micky and The Magic Map near Toontown, Tiki Room in Adventureland, do a table service meal or find a seat in the shade and people watch.

What are the rides we simply must do?
This depends on what everyone in your party is interested in. For me personally I dont do thrill rides / rollercoasters, so the big headliners like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain I dont do.

My advice is ask everyone what they are interested in, then study the maps of each land and see what each ride is like.

What shows should we priototise?
Definitely both the evening shows, Fantasmic in the main park and World of Color in California Adventures. Both of these are on at the same time, so you need to do them on different nights. Research both of these shows. The viewing areas for these shows are sectioned. The sections are divided by viewing accessibility, ie the front section, the side section etc. Some of the sections are on the Fastpass system, some of the sections are reserved for those paying for a dining package.

You should also try to see the Fireworks and projection show at The Castle.

Check the park opening times, as unlike Disneyland Paris, the park does not close after the fireworks. When I was there in June, the fireworks were at 9.30pm but the park stayed opened until midnight. Between 9.30pm and midnight is a great time to be in the park. Its dark, its balmy cool and the crowds really thin out. I usually stay until about 11pm.

I usually only buy my merchandise in the last few hours in the park. All day I window shop and mentally pick out what I want to buy as I go around the park. There is no need to buy stuff at 10am as you will just end up carrying it around with you allll day. And those plastic bags get annoying, trying to mind them on rides. They dont sell out of something, the CMs restock throughout the day. As you plan to go back to your condo in the afternoon, the hour before you leave for your afternoon break would be a good time to go shopping.

Bad pink tink....do you travel by yourself or with elderly folks....because i am concerned about the grandma and young kids?

Really great advice and well structured information !!!!!!

Bad pink tink....do you travel by yourself or with elderly folks....because i am concerned about the grandma and young kids?

Really great advice and well structured information !!!!!!

Hi, and thanks :)

Im a solo traveller. Im not going to sugar coat it, for us Irish / UK people the Cali heat can be rough. Its very different to what we are used to, and combine that with standing and walking on hot concrete and dense crowds of people.

On the other hand, as long as you prepare, structure your day are aware of your limitations and know what to expect you can have a magical time.

At 9 and 6 the kids should be fine. I would have them each have their own backpack with water. Disneyland California is very much sensory overload and with the heat they will probably get cranky and irritable, and flag at the most inconvenient times. I know i do lol. :) There is soooo much to do and see, I do 2 days in the parks and even now after 8 visits there is still so much I havent done. Get them used to wearing sunglasses.

If you prepare the kids, tell them that rides in the morning and evening only, that afternoons will be rest times. You can download the Disneyland APP an watch the wait times soar. Just remember about the 8 hour time difference. So for example, check the wait times for Pirates of The Caribbean at 5pm UK time (9am Californai time) and then check it again at 11pm UK time (3pm California time)

How active is Grandma? I am just thinking back to the time I took my 60 yr old very active mother to Disneyland Paris. My mum is not so much into rides and is not as Disneyfied as me. We stayed onsite and had breakfast together. Then we would separate, with mum going back to the room for a while and I went into the park for 8am. My mum is not as go go go as me and preferred to do the parks in her own time. We would meet up every so often throughout the day for meals and for rides we were both interested in doing. That way I didnt get irritated at her for holding me back and being slow and she didnt get worn out from me dragging her here there and everywhere.

Make sure everyone has comfortable shoes and wear socks. My feet sweat alot so I wear Sketchers runners and socks. Disneyland is rough on the feet. Some people get whats called Disneyland Rash on their legs, which is a sort of itchy heat rash, caused by walking and standing for long periods on the hot concrete. My feet ache ALOT after a day at Disney. Every night when I get back to my hotel I have a bath and soak my feet. I also massage my feet with one of those pumice stone foot files.

thank you....I have this sterotype in my head.....after alll I am watching live UK TV and saw a fellow with two beers in his hands while on the golf course . Once again you are helping out that family with all your insight, are you in PR or a teacher?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter