• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

We just got back from AKL-Jambo house. I requested a partial savanna view room. They put us in 3210 which had a GREAT view AND was the first room off the lobby on the 3rd floor, so no long hike to the room at the end of the day. We never heard any noise from either the lobby or the other guests. We saw animals regularly, including ostrich, okapi, addax, several species of bird, zebra, and giraffe. This was a MUCH better experience than last summer, when we had a savanna view room. DD LOVED being here- it was so hard to return to the real world!

We just got back from AKL-Jambo house. I requested a partial savanna view room. They put us in 3210 which had a GREAT view AND was the first room off the lobby on the 3rd floor, so no long hike to the room at the end of the day. We never heard any noise from either the lobby or the other guests. We saw animals regularly, including ostrich, okapi, addax, several species of bird, zebra, and giraffe. This was a MUCH better experience than last summer, when we had a savanna view room. DD LOVED being here- it was so hard to return to the real world!

Thanks for the review! How far away was this room to Mara and the pool?

We just returned from AKL -Jambo House. We were on the Zebra Trail, Arusha Savannah, in RM 4423. We had incredible views, and save for the red river hogs, whom we learned were in "Bad Hog Detention," we saw just about every animal that resides within AKL. We never heard any noise from other guests, and the animals were out in force.

That sounds perfect! Did you submit a room request prior to your stay?

Do the animals stay outside during thunderstorms? How about heavy rain/no lightning?

And to add to that, does AKL have any indoor activities for when it is raining/storming?

Do the animals stay outside during thunderstorms? How about heavy rain/no lightning?

And to add to that, does AKL have any indoor activities for when it is raining/storming?
We went on the Wanyama Safari, which as an aside, was a total blast and I highly recommend it. However, we learned that the animals are pretty much out on the savannas the overwhelming majority of the time, save for a couple hours each day when they receive their wellness checks by the resort's vets. We even learned that the resort's lighting is designed to replicate the light that would be present during a full moon, so as not to disturb the animals' sleep cycles.

As for indoor activities, there are a TON of activities that are available, if one just wishes to do a "Resort Day." We saw everything from wine tastings to sitting down with the chefs from Jikos, Boma, and Sanaa to hear stories about how they were inspired to create the dishes at their respective restaurants. For children, they could create "enrichment treats" for the various animals, listen to a plethora of African storytellers and drummers, there was a dance party pretty much every night, and even something as mundane as sitting with a woodcarver and learning basic techniques.

That sounds perfect! Did you submit a room request prior to your stay?
No - we did not. Prior to our stay, I let DSS know that this was our first visit to AKL, and how much my DDs were very much looking forward to seeing the animals on the Savannah. I think moving forward, we will continue to request that room, or at least a room within that vicinity.

The animals will stay out in all kinds of weather. Each species has a minimum temperature that they must be brought in for, otherwise, unless it is deemed unsafe, the animals are left to self determine. They are supposed to go in each day for checks, but even those aren't forced unless there is a concern for an animal (although I got the impression that they get treats during this time so the animals are happy to comply). If they don't feel like going out again though they won't be forced. That said, all the times I have been at AKL, the only times I have noticed absent animals is when it is quite cold, they seem to like their routines and are pretty happy munching around the savannas.

We just returned from AKL -Jambo House. We were on the Zebra Trail, Arusha Savannah, in RM 4423. We had incredible views, and save for the red river hogs, whom we learned were in "Bad Hog Detention," we saw just about every animal that resides within AKL. We never heard any noise from other guests, and the animals were out in force.

Those hogs were such a hoot on the Sense of Africa tour, it does not surprise me that they were in 'Bad Hog Detention'!

We went on the Wanyama Safari, which as an aside, was a total blast and I highly recommend it. However, we learned that the animals are pretty much out on the savannas the overwhelming majority of the time, save for a couple hours each day when they receive their wellness checks by the resort's vets. We even learned that the resort's lighting is designed to replicate the light that would be present during a full moon, so as not to disturb the animals' sleep cycles.

As for indoor activities, there are a TON of activities that are available, if one just wishes to do a "Resort Day." We saw everything from wine tastings to sitting down with the chefs from Jikos, Boma, and Sanaa to hear stories about how they were inspired to create the dishes at their respective restaurants. For children, they could create "enrichment treats" for the various animals, listen to a plethora of African storytellers and drummers, there was a dance party pretty much every night, and even something as mundane as sitting with a woodcarver and learning basic techniques.

Thank you for all the great info!

The animals will stay out in all kinds of weather. Each species has a minimum temperature that they must be brought in for, otherwise, unless it is deemed unsafe, the animals are left to self determine. They are supposed to go in each day for checks, but even those aren't forced unless there is a concern for an animal (although I got the impression that they get treats during this time so the animals are happy to comply). If they don't feel like going out again though they won't be forced. That said, all the times I have been at AKL, the only times I have noticed absent animals is when it is quite cold, they seem to like their routines and are pretty happy munching around the savannas.

This is good to know. Thank you!

I will be staying at Kidani Savannah view room for one night for my daughter's birthday. I plan to have in-room breakfast on our porch on our check out day, but I just read that Sunset Savannah will be closed everyday for cleaning from 8 am to 10 am. Is this true?

So will we be able to enjoy the animals view at all in the morning? Or will the savannah be empty?

Thanks!

Don't forget the pin trading guy! He always had a line of kids waiting to trade/speak with him.

Excited for our split stay here this November! Question.....we are wine lovers and would love to do the JIKO wine tasting offered at 3pm our first day. While browsing through the dining offerings I saw this on MDE but the Wednesday I wanted to do it in November is greyed out. Did i miss this opportunity or are reservations for this only made available a month or two in advance? I didn't even realize we needed reservations....I thought it was just a "show up and do it" sort of thing :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter