January 2014 Rental Car Deal Watch

Going the 11th. Prices are a good $200 over what I have locked-in...

Alamo was only about $20 over what I have this morning but just checked again and it's shot up over $100 more. Dollar has been a lot higher than I locked in as well. Guess I'll just have to choose one of those reservations and be content with the semi decent price.

Alamo was only about $20 over what I have this morning but just checked again and it's shot up over $100 more. Dollar has been a lot higher than I locked in as well. Guess I'll just have to choose one of those reservations and be content with the semi decent price.

I never got an Alamo coupon code to work. $145 for an 8 day rental with Thrifty.

I never got an Alamo coupon code to work. $145 for an 8 day rental with Thrifty.

I couldn't either. I got $147 for 6 days just using the single upgrade they offer on their website. And $135 for dollar but I think I'd prefer alamo for the small difference.

I couldn't either. I got $147 for 6 days just using the single upgrade they offer on their website. And $135 for dollar but I think I'd prefer alamo for the small difference.

Just as an FYI: Hertz, Thrifty and Dollar are the same company. Having said that, like you, for a few dollars more, I'd go with Alamo as well. I only used them once but their service was top notch. I'm just bitter that the VISA coupon code didn't work, nor did any if the ones that they sent via email. I mean really, why bother if I can't use it. I liken that to false advertising.

I have given up hope of prices dropping. I'm paying more than I'm used to paying when we go in May and October. Maybe it's all the snowbirds because it certainly isn't a busy time at WDW or Universal.

I have given up hope of prices dropping. I'm paying more than I'm used to paying when we go in May and October. Maybe it's all the snowbirds because it certainly isn't a busy time at WDW or Universal.

There's a few thinks off the top of my head that's going on in Orlando. It basically effects every weekend in January. Which in turn keeps the price up.

Disney Marathon Weekend Jan 8-12
Martin Luther king weekend
Harry Potter event at Universal Jan 24-26
UDA National Dance Team Championship February 1-2

We have a reservation with Dollar Jan 24-Feb 2nd- $153 total. Full size car. Not bad but not as cheap as we usually pay for that week. Mind you last year we found the best pricing 2 weeks out. I'm hoping it follows suit again this year. But with the HP event I'm not banking on it.

There's a few thinks off the top of my head that's going on in Orlando. It basically effects every weekend in January. Which in turn keeps the price up.

Disney Marathon Weekend Jan 8-12
Martin Luther king weekend
Harry Potter event at Universal Jan 24-26
UDA National Dance Team Championship February 1-2

We have a reservation with Dollar Jan 24-Feb 2nd- $153 total. Full size car. Not bad but not as cheap as we usually pay for that week. Mind you last year we found the best pricing 2 weeks out. I'm hoping it follows suit again this year. But with the HP event I'm not banking on it.

Yeah, but I have been during holiday weekends, huge conferences, pop warner, and have never seen rates this high. I have never been in January though. I have a reservation at Hardrock the weekend of the Harry Potter event. I got 40% off my room, and the resorts aren't full, and I just booked a week ago. Lots of availability at Universal resorts that weekend. Lots of availability at WDW all month including MLK weekend, great discounts on cruises, cheap hotels everywhere. The only thing that is not cheap is the car rental. So weird.

I've been going in January for many years (we were married at WDW in Jan 2002 and have been coming down every year since then), and have also never paid so much for a car rental. Usually I have been able to get around $100 or so with taxes, for a mid-size or compact for 8-9 days. This year I am paying $230 with taxes for 12 days for a full size (so larger and for more days), but still that's over double what I usually pay. Its not horrible so we are sticking with it.

The rate is with Alamo.

Jennifer

Last year I booked a minivan with alamo for marathon weekend (7days) for $329. Currently I have an alamo reservation for same week plus an extra day for $309. While this is still high, it is slightly less than last year.

i have been reserving with alamo for years now. the last two years i have seen a big rise in prices. like jennifer i would get rates like 104 to 115 that includes taxes etc. for 9-10 days midsize. i think those days are gone and we most likely will not see them unless they see a big drop in their sales. it is very convenient just to walk to your car and pick your own. a big plus. and alamo's return has always been a breeze. but now i guess i'll be shopping more then i use to. i think jan rates are pretty much set and i doubt we will see a drastic drop. hopefully i am wrong

Boy am I glad that I was paying attention last month and looking on a daily basis, because I did manage to get my rate down to $165 for 8 days on a full-size at Alamo. I'm used to paying closer to $100 and will check daily to see if, by some good luck, the rates drop again. But, I've never seen them rise like this... almost $400 today for the same rental.

Aren't we a happy bunch that did our homework and booked the best rates before Christmas :)

yes, thanks to everyone for helping. i got a standard at alamo for 174 for 9 days. so for now i'll stick with them. but definitely looking at others in the future.

Frustrated... I've always used Disney buses because I was travelling solo. Now that there are two of us I wanted a rental car. I had heard that rates went down closer to the date you need the car.

A week ago, Dollar and Alamo hate rates around $160 for a compact car. Now they are $210! Will they go back down or have I lost a good rate?

My dates are January 29 - February 5.

Would I do better taking a chance with Priceline?

I always get a full size car with Alamo. I paid $117 for a week in Dec and will be paying $145 for a week in Jan. Alamo was at its lowest for Jan around three weeks before my pickup date this year. Other years it could go down up to the pickup date.

Frustrated... I've always used Disney buses because I was travelling solo. Now that there are two of us I wanted a rental car. I had heard that rates went down closer to the date you need the car.

A week ago, Dollar and Alamo hate rates around $160 for a compact car. Now they are $210! Will they go back down or have I lost a good rate?

There is really no way to KNOW what prices are going to do. If you can get a great price on Priceline and promise not to look again (since you can't change it, as far as I know), go for it.

The important thing I think many of us forget to say is that "prices often go down as it gets closer, but if you truly want a rental car, reserve it when you get to a price you would/could pay, and then check on it and modify it as the price goes down". Don't ever just wait without booking, if you really do want a rental car. Book at a price you can handle, and hope you can modify it downwards. Doesn't help much now, but maybe for the future, and maybe for other people.

The important thing I think many of us forget to say is that "prices often go down as it gets closer, but if you truly want a rental car, reserve it when you get to a price you would/could pay, and then check on it and modify it as the price goes down". Don't ever just wait without booking, if you really do want a rental car. Book at a price you can handle, and hope you can modify it downwards. .

I guess I didn't realize that booking a rental car is just a reservation that can be cancelled. One of the companies offered a discount if you paid "now". I am used to planes, once booked and for, that's it!

I know how you feel. I guess we are going to end up dropping off and picking up at Port Canaveral. I have a car for three days before the cruise for 90.00 and a car for 2 days after for 110.00.:scared1: My total rental price is 200.00. It's not bad, and I won't have to pay for parking, but I would rather not go through the headache of dropping off and picking up a car. Our last 2 trips have been for 2 weeks and I've gotten cars for 225.00. I was hoping to get a car for around 200.00 for 12 days and park in the economy lot near port Canaveral. The lowest I saw the price go was 260.00 so I held out thinking they would go down, but they have gone up.

I think since your trip is still 4 weeks away they will still go down. I'm not sure about mine. I leave in 12 days. The rental prices tend to drop at the beginning of the week and go up on the weekends. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we see a drop next week.

I got an email this morning from Hotwire saying that we could get a rental for $12.95 a day for Orlando!!!

Of course once I clicked on it, it said "I'm sorry that deal is no longer available." Not that I thought it would be. ;)

So glad I snagged $135 with Budget on cyber Monday.

Alamo is up to $368 for a compact for my dates also...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter