Japan Itinerary-May 2024

Loved Kawagoe!
What were your favorite things there?

I’m a little nervous about getting around in Kawagoe since it seems like it’s all buses or long walks between each thing

Last edited:
I posted this write-up shortly after returning: I went to Kawagoe and loved it. It was one of my favorite experiences in Japan. If you want an interesting way to introduce a child to temples and shrines, it's a great place. Kitain Temple is set up like a museum, with interesting things in all of the rooms (not bare like the other temples I walked through in Japan).

Hikawa Shrine is entered by walking under pinwheels, and it has a fishing "game" and a place to float things down water.

The best spot of all was Kumano Jinga shrine, which has crow images everywhere. There are colanders and water where you wash your money, and a ring toss "game."

Also sweet potato snacks (everything you can imagine), candy alley, and the Kawagoe Festival Musuem.

The only downside is that some of the major sites are spread out. There's a bus loop that travels between them.

Yes, you'll need to rely on the bus to get between the sites. Also the train station is outside of the historical area, so I recall taking a bus from there to the first temple I visited. Then it's just a loop that you can ride- very straightforward- but it takes some time. I took the bus between some and walked others, because I prefer the walk.

Look on a map and you can see which sites are close to the main street and which are further out.

I posted this write-up shortly after returning: I went to Kawagoe and loved it. It was one of my favorite experiences in Japan. If you want an interesting way to introduce a child to temples and shrines, it's a great place. Kitain Temple is set up like a museum, with interesting things in all of the rooms (not bare like the other temples I walked through in Japan).

Hikawa Shrine is entered by walking under pinwheels, and it has a fishing "game" and a place to float things down water.

The best spot of all was Kumano Jinga shrine, which has crow images everywhere. There are colanders and water where you wash your money, and a ring toss "game."

Also sweet potato snacks (everything you can imagine), candy alley, and the Kawagoe Festival Musuem.

The only downside is that some of the major sites are spread out. There's a bus loop that travels between them.

Yes, you'll need to rely on the bus to get between the sites. Also the train station is outside of the historical area, so I recall taking a bus from there to the first temple I visited. Then it's just a loop that you can ride- very straightforward- but it takes some time. I took the bus between some and walked others, because I prefer the walk.

Look on a map and you can see which sites are close to the main street and which are further out.
Thanks! I’m gonna look at everything and try to plan a route that would work best for us. We like to walk and will probably bring a stroller for ds just in case he gets tired. Do they announce each stop for the bus in Japanese only or also in English?

Thanks! I’m gonna look at everything and try to plan a route that would work best for us. We like to walk and will probably bring a stroller for ds just in case he gets tired. Do they announce each stop for the bus in Japanese only or also in English?
One thing I remember about Kawagoe (and one of the reasons I loved it) was that there was no English anywhere. I didn't see another white person all day! I don't remember how I navigated the buses, only that I used Google maps and never had trouble. Shinjuku was a different story!

One thing I remember about Kawagoe (and one of the reasons I loved it) was that there was no English anywhere. I didn't see another white person all day! I don't remember how I navigated the buses, only that I used Google maps and never had trouble. Shinjuku was a different story!
When we went in 2019 we got on a bus in Nara and even with google maps we got lost lol. We ended up going like 4-5 stops too far and had to walk our way back.

At least in Kawagoe it's a circle- you can just keep riding! 🤣
Dh and I planned out our kawagoe day today. I think we’re going to only plan on the Hikawa shrine and save the other shrines as backups. Then we will head to candy alley, Toki no Kane, and Kurazukuri street. Not sure how long all of that will take us

I just booked flights for early February 2025. I got some serious luck on St Patty's day!!!!!! I got some business class seats on AA for 60k miles each way. 10 days in Japan. We plan on three days in Tokyo DL and after that I don't know where to begin. Our outbound flights are booked. Our return flights are on hold I'm hoping to extend it to at least 12 days or maybe 14 days in Japan. Checking each day as award flight loads. Don't necessarily have to come back business but premium economy would be nice...or even some good coach seats.

I'm taking my college aged son. I told him that semester he's going to have to suck it up and take the killer 8 week courses that start in March.
I'm used to cruising where everything is planned out. This will be fun to plan. Any help appreciated.

I just booked flights for early February 2025. I got some serious luck on St Patty's day!!!!!! I got some business class seats on AA for 60k miles each way. 10 days in Japan. We plan on three days in Tokyo DL and after that I don't know where to begin. Our outbound flights are booked. Our return flights are on hold I'm hoping to extend it to at least 12 days or maybe 14 days in Japan. Checking each day as award flight loads. Don't necessarily have to come back business but premium economy would be nice...or even some good coach seats.

I'm taking my college aged son. I told him that semester he's going to have to suck it up and take the killer 8 week courses that start in March.
I'm used to cruising where everything is planned out. This will be fun to plan. Any help appreciated.
If you can use your AA miles to fly on JAL, their economy is considered the most spacious of all airlines. They put in fewer seats, so wider and more legroom. That’s how we will fly in June (also AA miles, but from Europe).

Last edited:

We booked business class with JAL through AA as well.

How long did it take to get ticketed?

Memory is fuzzy, but I think it didn't take long. Overnight maybe? Did you get the confirmation e-mail already? That has the JAL PNR that you can use to select seats.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking.

I think because it's a partner redemption, the status starts off something like on request before it goes to ticketed.

Memory is fuzzy, but I think it didn't take long. Overnight maybe? Did you get the confirmation e-mail already? That has the JAL PNR that you can use to select seats.

I think because it's a partner redemption, the status starts off something like on request before it goes to ticketed.
Oh okay. Dh did our booking. I didn’t realize it said on request at first. All I knew was he booked flights and forwarded me the email 😆

When I booked JAL award flights through Cathay Pacific, I was able to see the reservation on JAL's website within minutes and the emails came shortly after that.

Unfortunately, there never seem to be award seats available to get an extra few days for my upcoming trip. I guess that's the downside of booking tickets this way. We're locked in!

I think it was a few hours for us. I saw it online when I pulled up the reservation well before we got an email.
I waited two days and I read some posts on reddit and fly talker about it taking it over a month. I talked to a AA rep for what that's worth and they said it was because it was so far out. I had a AA flight on hold for business class for the same amount of miles 60k so I went with that and got ticketed in 15 minutes. I will have to spend night at DFW, but worth it for 13.5 hour flight. 60k miles on AA medal for business is a rarity.

I have a flight on hold for HND to SFO business class for 60k on JL. I'll probably book that and spend the night at SFO and use southwest miles the next day to fly home. I'll wait on the long JL ticketing since there is no alternative.

I love the 5 day hold on AA. It get's you a chance to breathe and keep looking if your dates are flexible. 6Ok miles for business class are a needle in the haystack. If you see it grab it.

I only have 300k to work with. A lot of dates are 450k miles. I feel like a got a bit of Irish luck last weekend.

Oh okay. Dh did our booking. I didn’t realize it said on request at first. All I knew was he booked flights and forwarded me the email 😆
I've booked partner flights on AA before. Just booked on Alaska airlines last week and it was ticketed within the hour. The miles were deducted immediately... the same with BA flight last Summer. The AA. website says it could take 24 hours or more.
The weird thing with this flight was...... no were miles were deducted from my account and my cc wasn't charged for the taxes. It felt wonky to me.

The AA rep said it was in process and not to worry. Easy for her to say. With another flight on hold for the same amount of miles on AA. I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to see if it worked out. I'm not that trusting.

Interesting to see what happen when I book the homebound JL flight I have on hold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter