Jen’s Labor Day 2002 Disneyland Resort Trip Report - Part 2

JenniBarra

Mouseketeer
Saturday, August 31

This morning, as we waited for each person to be ready, Mom and I had opportunity to watch a bit of the preparation for the day at DCA. She managed to spot Grizzly River Rapids in a drained spot, but by the time I came over, they had moved onto to sending the rafts out on a test run. Meanwhile, Keith sent off an e-mail to Rebekah of LaughingPlace.com to inquire about getting together some time during the weekend.

We decided on a hearty breakfast and decided to try Rainforest Café. We were a bit bummed that the second floor area (where most of the animatronic animals are) wasn’t open yet, but, still, we had some neat aquariums to look at and the every 20 minutes rain storms happen downstairs, too. Mom was really liking that they were playing a lot of surf music and I told her that she would probably love the music at Paradise Pier. (Mom and Dad were at DCA once before, but didn’t go through the entire park.)

Once fed, we decided to see how the line looked for Soarin’. It already had a bit of a wait, so we decided to FastPass it, giving us about an hour or so to do some other things.

First, we went to California Screamin’. I opted out as I just find this coaster to be too intense for me, but I did promise to take pictures of the other three. I managed to get some good shots while they were waiting to launch, as well as a picture just as they took off. I then met them at the exit, where I thought Mom looked a bit “off.” She said she liked it, but that she needed to sit down since it was a bit soon after breakfast for her! It was also rather muggy, which was a bit of a disappointment after following the Anaheim weather reports for a couple weeks and noting highs just barely over 80 degrees with little humidity. Anyhow, as we were taking our break, Keith gets e-mail on his pager from Rebekah. (Isn’t technology grand? <g>) We make arrangements to meet Doobie, Rebekah, and “posse” for dinner in the evening at the French Market at Disneyland.

Mom is feeling better and wants to ride the Sunwheel. We were somewhat disoriented because we were waiting in what used to be the stationary car queue, only it ends up that they’re now having stationary car riders enter through the exit and board that way. (Maybe they figured it was easier that way since more people seem to prefer the moving cars?) I always find that when I ride this, initially, I’m kind of scared because I’m up so high, but, eventually, I relax when I see the great view.

After the Sunwheel, we stop to watch the Maliboomer. (I think this attraction always has more watchers than riders. <g>)

We make it to Mulholland Madness. My poor mother screams at every single corner! She was so shook up after that ride. Needless to say, we had to go easier on her the rest of the day! Maybe it’s because I always board last, but this one actually doesn’t bother me…

At this point, our Fastpass window for Soarin’ had opened. I was pleasantly surprised that we requested and got row B-1. (We do this during off season, but I figured they would be too busy during peak to accommodate requests.) This attraction was excellent, as always.

We actually managed to do a lot on a Saturday morning during a holiday weekend, I thought.

We then decided to have lunch at Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant and stop by the AMS Character Warehouse. Lunch was great, though we were seated near some rather noisy, messy children!

At the outlet, we found lots of nice sweatshirts, but it was too hot and muggy to be able to wear any of it yet! We also found brown pairs of Winnie the Pooh shorts on sale, which led to lots of bad jokes. The problem was that the puns kept going on the car ride back to the hotel and some of us had had way too much boysenberry punch at lunch and didn’t want to laugh too hard. ; )

After a break in the room, we headed to Disneyland to meet up with the Laughing Place crew. Dave was there already, trying to find enough tables close together for such a big group. Stephanie came along shortly afterward, with RustinParr in tow. Eventually, a couple of big tables were found, but they were close to the jazz band that had just started up, so, for a while, we had to compete with the band. (At that point, Doobie, Rebekah, and also Benji were there, too.) Despite everyone wilting in the humidity, we still had a nice time chatting. (Dave tried to say that we had brought the weather with us, but what we get may be hot, but at least it’s a dry heat, to use a clique! <g>) We made plans to meet up the next day at Soap Opera Bistro for lunch and, if possible, use a dining package to get priority seating to see Blast at DCA’s Hyperion Theater.

We wanted to be in line at the Disney Gallery at 8:15 for our 9PM balcony reservation for Fantasmic. We thought that this would be plenty of time for a good spot at the front of the line, but we weren’t early enough. (We didn’t know how this would impact our viewing, but it ends up that they’re all really great seats, whether in the front row or the back.) The desserts were delicious and we had an excellent view. Dad also appreciated the speakers up on the balcony because he said he really felt in the middle of it all. (Since Dad is visually impaired, for him, it’s about the sounds and smells.) We also stayed for the fireworks, only the finale was truncated due to atmospheric conditions. Despite this, we all agreed that it was an incredible experience!

Mom was tired, so she and Dad headed back to the room afterward, while Keith and I considered trying to get on some attractions. Indy was a 40 minute wait, with no Fastpasses left, and an inconsiderate person was smoking in the queue, so we decided to call it a night, too. (I have to admit that I’ve gotten somewhat spoiled from mostly going during the off season lately, we don’t have the patience for waits of that length. <g>)

I know what you mean about the seasons. We have gone to disney for two years during the time between christmas and thanksgiving. The weather was great and the crowds were down.We decided to go in June and it was like night and day. There were tons of people fast pass tickets on some rides were gone in less than a half of an hour. The weather was rainy for most of the 8 days we were their. We are going back next year at christmas time.

Dan-tot

Yes, my preference is still for off season! :) To get the benefits of peak season, in the past, we were able to drive down on a Sunday to at least catch the Fantasmic! and fireworks that night. However, those things have become more scarce in off season lately...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter