Jen and Brook's Excellent Adventure

Our next goal is to stay at YC or BC! We either like to splurge for deluxe or cheap it and go to Pop. We've tried one moderate (POFQ) and were not impressed. The agent training sounds great - can't wait to hear more details!

So the big question is.... How do you tell your 6 year old you are going to Disney withOUT her?....DENY,DENY,DENY

Ok, I'm just kidding. I had no real plan.

After I had been acepted I was telling Skip all about the itinerary. Claire was sitting on a chair playing her DSi. She didn't appear to be listening at all. I NEVER mentioned WDW. But I said we would be touring resorts and named a few places we would be eating and where we would be staying. Claire looked up and said "now where are you going"? That little smarty caught on right away. I was amazed. I didn't think she would really recognize any of the places I mentioned. But she did. I then explained that I was going to be going to school in FL. She would be staying with Grandma and Dad. She was happy with that. She has occasionally asked me questions about it, and I have downplayed the whole thing. Letting her know I would be doing mostly school stuff and touring hotels. I wouldn't be going to have fun at the parks all day like I do when I'm with her. She seems OK with it so far. The other night she did question me again and said something aout how I wouldn't be able to ride any rides at School. I did let her know I "may" ride some rides, but only if they make us for school. :laughing: She seemed Ok with that answer too. I let her know that I don't get to plan my days, and I have to do what they tell us to do. :woohoo: Which should still be really fun! :cheer2:

She has taken the whole thing much better than I expected. And she seems Ok to be without me for 6 days. She almost seems to be looking forward to it...that little stinker! :rolleyes:

So the big question is.... How do you tell your 6 year old you are going to Disney withOUT her?....DENY,DENY,DENY

Ok, I'm just kidding. I had no real plan.

After I had been acepted I was telling Skip all about the itinerary. Claire was sitting on a chair playing her DSi. She didn't appear to be listening at all. I NEVER mentioned WDW. But I said we would be touring resorts and named a few places we would be eating and where we would be staying. Claire looked up and said "now where are you going"? That little smarty caught on right away. I was amazed. I didn't think she would really recognize any of the places I mentioned. But she did. I then explained that I was going to be going to school in FL. She would be staying with Grandma and Dad. She was happy with that. She has occasionally asked me questions about it, and I have downplayed the whole thing. Letting her know I would be doing mostly school stuff and touring hotels. I wouldn't be going to have fun at the parks all day like I do when I'm with her. She seems OK with it so far. The other night she did question me again and said something aout how I wouldn't be able to ride any rides at Agent School. I did let her know I "may" ride some rides, but only if they make us for agent school. :laughing: She seemed Ok with that answer too. I let her know that I don't get to plan my days, and I have to do what they tell us to do. :woohoo: Which should still be really fun! :cheer2:

She has taken the whole thing much better than I expected. And she seems Ok to be without me for 6 days. She almost seems to be looking forward to it...that little stinker! :rolleyes:

Does she know it's Disney?
I have to let Sam in on our secret soon, and I'm getting nervous about it. I just don't want her to be upset. I'm hoping she understands or is okay with it right away.

The thing about saying "well, how much time do you spend in the resorts anyway?".... if you ARE staying in a deluxe resort since it IS deluxe, you are more likely to hang around the resort for time there. I do enjoy relaxing by the pool with a pina colada in my hand. In fact, at Saratoga, I brought wine glasses and a bottle of wine to the pool. I would not have done that at Pop. Pop's pool bar doesn't have food and snacks like the deluxe pools do. Although the drink menu is the same. :confused3 and if your resort doesn't HAVE a spa, you're so much less likely to take in some spa time. I have stayed at Pop more times than I can count, and when we stay there, I don't spend too much time "enjoying" the resort.. but we do at Saratoga. I plan on spending time at SAB while we're at the YC! I understand that both YC and BC can use SAB. You will find me in a swim ring floating along the river that they have around the pool.

See I don't think I would stay more at the resort if we only had a week. I'm one who wants to get in as much park time as possible. Thats why I don't want to spend the money as well. But of course, we may do it some day for a night or 2.

Our next goal is to stay at YC or BC! We either like to splurge for deluxe or cheap it and go to Pop. We've tried one moderate (POFQ) and were not impressed. The agent training sounds great - can't wait to hear more details!

I hear a lot of mixed reviews about the moderates. But until I stay at one of those as well, I guess I can't really make a good judgement.

Does she know it's Disney?
I have to let Sam in on our secret soon, and I'm getting nervous about it. I just don't want her to be upset. I'm hoping she understands or is okay with it right away.

Yes she does. But I have stressed over and over that it's school and I will have busy days of learning. Think that might work on Sam? :rotfl:

Clever to say you were going to school! I wondered how you were going to tackle this one! I'm glad she's going to have fun with Grandma and Grandpa, that's usually a kid's dream vacation!:laughing: Get spoiled like crazy and then go home!:thumbsup2

The other night she did question me again and said something aout how I wouldn't be able to ride any rides at Agent School. I did let her know I "may" ride some rides, but only if they make us for agent school. :laughing:

:laughing:

Jen, I have a really dumb question for you -- if I book a room at POP for our trip the week after Christmas at the regular rate they are showing now and they drop the rates this fall (although not sure they would drop them much for this week!) can I just call Disney and get the lower rate or will I be stuck with the current rate?

Clever to say you were going to school! I wondered how you were going to tackle this one! I'm glad she's going to have fun with Grandma and Grandpa, that's usually a kid's dream vacation!:laughing: Get spoiled like crazy and then go home!:thumbsup2

She starts school that week too. So I will miss her first couple of days, but my friend is going to pick her up and take her each day and I told her to take alot of pictures for me.

I gotta follow the rules! :laughing:

Jen, I have a really dumb question for you -- if I book a room at POP for our trip the week after Christmas at the regular rate they are showing now and they drop the rates this fall (although not sure they would drop them much for this week!) can I just call Disney and get the lower rate or will I be stuck with the current rate?

Yes you can. But the week after Christmas is less than likely to have a discount,...but it could happen or a PIN sent out.

I understand what you mean about wanting to get in as much park time as possible, especially if you have a finite ticket. Since I have AP's and the AP is paid for and we're ahead on it in terms of value, its easier to take a break. My AP was bought at the DVC rate, and then renewed at the renewal DVC rate, and we got a bonus of 3 additional months for the price of 12. When we went during Spring break of 2010, the family that came with us was a family of 5 with 3 teenage boys. They wanted to get as much park time in to get the value out of their tickets. With my AP's, I once had so many park days in one year that I averaged less than $20 a day.

On our upcoming trip, my friend is joining us. She's arriving the 17th. She is getting the $138 military 4 day hopper, but she'll be there 6 nights/7 days. So we have carved out resort time. Maybe we might even hit a water park. We've never done that. or at least I haven't since River Country. We're going to do Chip & Dale's camp fire sing-a-long and maybe Fantasia mini-golf. I'd like to rent a "surry-the-fringe-on-top" either at SSR or the Boardwalk.

It's a struggle for me to get a good balance. Before Jack, I wanted to be in the parks al the time. But going with an 18 month old, then a 2 1/2 year old, and now a 3 1/2 year old, it has made me slow down and rethink a bit. Now I liek knowing I will have some down time. My current plans have less downtime than I originally wanted, but after my super hectic December trip, I have learned that just because we are going to a park doesn't mean we have to spend a whole day there. If it is a better choice to spend half a day and then go back and swim, then that's what we will do. It may not make the most sense financially, but I have really learned (the hard way) that on vacation, the money is spent regardless, so just make sure you have a good time. Once Jack is older, things will probably change again, and we will probably trend back to the more "commando" style touring :rotfl:

I understand what you mean about wanting to get in as much park time as possible, especially if you have a finite ticket. Since I have AP's and the AP is paid for and we're ahead on it in terms of value, its easier to take a break. My AP was bought at the DVC rate, and then renewed at the renewal DVC rate, and we got a bonus of 3 additional months for the price of 12. When we went during Spring break of 2010, the family that came with us was a family of 5 with 3 teenage boys. They wanted to get as much park time in to get the value out of their tickets. With my AP's, I once had so many park days in one year that I averaged less than $20 a day.

On our upcoming trip, my friend is joining us. She's arriving the 17th. She is getting the $138 military 4 day hopper, but she'll be there 6 nights/7 days. So we have carved out resort time. Maybe we might even hit a water park. We've never done that. or at least I haven't since River Country. We're going to do Chip & Dale's camp fire sing-a-long and maybe Fantasia mini-golf. I'd like to rent a "surry-the-fringe-on-top" either at SSR or the Boardwalk.

It's a struggle for me to get a good balance. Before Jack, I wanted to be in the parks al the time. But going with an 18 month old, then a 2 1/2 year old, and now a 3 1/2 year old, it has made me slow down and rethink a bit. Now I liek knowing I will have some down time. My current plans have less downtime than I originally wanted, but after my super hectic December trip, I have learned that just because we are going to a park doesn't mean we have to spend a whole day there. If it is a better choice to spend half a day and then go back and swim, then that's what we will do. It may not make the most sense financially, but I have really learned (the hard way) that on vacation, the money is spent regardless, so just make sure you have a good time. Once Jack is older, things will probably change again, and we will probably trend back to the more "commando" style touring :rotfl:

Claire sleeps in, so my resort time has usually been early mornings, walking around, taking it all in, while her and Skip sleep. So we never get to the parks early, unfortunately. Once we get there, we stay till we get our fill. We do spend some earlier evenings occasionally at the pool. I'm not a spa kind of girl, but I do love a good hot tub. Thats the only downfall to Pop for me, no hot tub.

My Day 1 plans so far....
On Sunday, Aug 14 I will most likely have to wake no later than 5:30. But knowing me it may be earlier and no problem, as I can't sleep well the night before I leave. I think we should be out the door by 6:30 AM at the latest. My Mom is going to take me up to Detroit airport, Claire will ride along as well. The trip is about an hour. Claire wil lspend the day with my Mom and then Mom will drop her back off at MIL's house that night, where Claire will stay while I'm gone. MIL lives RIGHT next to me and basically in between my house and the cow barns, so Skip will be able to see Claire at any time he wants. And he may spend the night there with Claire if needed.

I'll get checked in and most likely get a bite to eat while I wait. Since I'm only bringing a tote on the plane, I need to condense what I bring with me. Only what I absolutely need for the ride. And of course my camera case will be in it. I always have a fear that my luggage will get lost and bring a set of clothes in the carry ons for everyone. But I think, with so little extra room in my tote, I will for go that! Knock on wood I don't lose the luggage this time!

I arrive at 12:09 (and hopefully all is on time) and will head off to ME. I have only rode ME one other time. It took exactly 1 hour from the time I stepped off the plane till I was in line at Pop to get checked in. I am not counting that good luck this time. I am hoping no more than 2 hours though.
I will get checked into All Star Movies!

asmv13.jpg

I'm not sure if my room wil lbe ready or not. I hope, but if not, it's not the end of the world. I'm sure I'll be hungry at this point and time, so I will find some food! It will be strange for me to learn the layout of this place, but it will be fun too. Depending on time, I will most likely explore and take pictures. I do not have a park ticket for this day.
Around 3:30ish (I have to double check, and confirm, as I can't remember anymore) I will be meeting Karin..Dizneeat...and her brother Tom. :hug:

Photo0133FourBySix.jpg

They will be driving over from OKW and picking me up and then give me a grand tour of OKW and their room...or basically what ever we feel like doing! :yay:
I don't want to over stay my welcome and I know they have an ADR that evening, so after a bit I will head out.

Now I need help with my plans. I was thinking going to DTD and then I can get Earl of Sandwich for dinner. And I still may, even if I decide to do something else too. But many other options are calling to me. I would love your opinions on what to do.
I could just spend the evening at DTD, explore, and then head back to AS Movies.
I could go ove to Ft Wilderness and catch the Camp Fire sing-along and then try to make it over to Poly after and watch wishes. (I have to double check the times again, but I'm prettty sure it was doable, but maybe cutting it close.
Or I could resort hop. There are a few places I would like to see that are NOT on our itinerary. 1 being AKL. I would love to check this place out. And POFQ has always caught my eye as well.
So give me your opinions. I'm not saying I will follow any of them!~ :rolleyes1 But I do like to hear what others think. I could also do a mixture of any of the above plans too.

YAY for meeting Karin and Tom! I met them and got to spend more than a bit of time with them this past February and it was wonderful. Truly one of the highlights of my trip. :goodvibes

YAY for meeting Karin and Tom! I met them and got to spend more than a bit of time with them this past February and it was wonderful. Truly one of the highlights of my trip. :goodvibes

I'm so excited to meet them. They seem like such wonderful people! I am so excited to have a chance to meet several new friends this trip. I am very greatful for this opportunity. I never thought I would actually have a trip to coincide with Karin and Tom's.

Or I could resort hop. There are a few places I would like to see that are NOT on our itinerary. 1 being AKL. I would love to check this place out. And POFQ has always caught my eye as well.
So give me your opinions. I'm not saying I will follow any of them!~ :rolleyes1 But I do like to hear what others think. I could also do a mixture of any of the above plans too.

I would go to AKL, it isn't that far from the All-Star resorts. You can always head over to DTD after AKL.

Around 3:30ish (I have to double check, and confirm, as I can't remember anymore) I will be meeting Karin..Dizneeat...and her brother Tom. :hug:

Photo0133FourBySix.jpg

They will be driving over from OKW and picking me up and then give me a grand tour of OKW and their room...or basically what ever we feel like doing! :yay:
I don't want to over stay my welcome and I know they have an ADR that evening, so after a bit I will head out.

Now I need help with my plans. I was thinking going to DTD and then I can get Earl of Sandwich for dinner. And I still may, even if I decide to do something else too. But many other options are calling to me. I would love your opinions on what to do.
I could just spend the evening at DTD, explore, and then head back to AS Movies.
I could go ove to Ft Wilderness and catch the Camp Fire sing-along and then try to make it over to Poly after and watch wishes. (I have to double check the times again, but I'm prettty sure it was doable, but maybe cutting it close.

First off .......... JOINING in here! :lmao:
Sorry, I am late, but we had a bit of a hickup with our trip and it needed to be sorted out and then the end of the school year is always stressful and doesn't leave much DIS time, but only one more week! :woohoo:

Okay, so .......... 3.30 is a-okay with us, you can always phone us if you want to meet any earlier! :thumbsup2
As for POFQ ... that's our neighbour resort and we can easily drive over there if you want to check it out!
We could also take the boat to DTD if you want to, or we can just take you over to AKL if that is better for you.
Tom and I will have only arrived the day before so we will need a leisurely day anyway, so just driving around and checking out places will be fine with us! Let me know what you want to do!

Can't wait :woohoo: :yay: :woohoo: ......... in 6 weeks from today we will already be on a plane to Orlando! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Tina, we had a blast meeting you and your family! I posted a few photos and a big thank you to you over at my pre-trip report. Pop in and have a look if you haven't already! :hug:

I would go to AKL, it isn't that far from the All-Star resorts. You can always head over to DTD after AKL.

I am considering it. It will probably come down to being a last minute decision. I know I want EoS at some point and time, but I could get it my last day before I have to go back for ME too.

I'm here I can't wait to hear all about your plans!

I'm excited. They have a lot of good stuff planned for us!

First off .......... JOINING in here! :lmao:
Sorry, I am late, but we had a bit of a hickup with our trip and it needed to be sorted out and then the end of the school year is always stressful and doesn't leave much DIS time, but only one more week! :woohoo:

Okay, so .......... 3.30 is a-okay with us, you can always phone us if you want to meet any earlier! :thumbsup2
As for POFQ ... that's our neighbour resort and we can easily drive over there if you want to check it out!
We could also take the boat to DTD if you want to, or we can just take you over to AKL if that is better for you.
Tom and I will have only arrived the day before so we will need a leisurely day anyway, so just driving around and checking out places will be fine with us! Let me know what you want to do!

Can't wait :woohoo: :yay: :woohoo: ......... in 6 weeks from today we will already be on a plane to Orlando! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Tina, we had a blast meeting you and your family! I posted a few photos and a big thank you to you over at my pre-trip report. Pop in and have a look if you haven't already! :hug:

I knew you would be here eventually! I don't want to run you guys ragged, but whatever works for you is fine.
I gotta think it over some more, but maybe I could got to POFQ and them go to DTD and then bus it to AKL. LOL! I need about 10 extra hours that day! :rotfl:Or from DTD bus it to Poly and watch wishes.....See I have too many ideas in my head. :rolleyes:

I can talk to a wall sometimes. :laughing:

Another guilty party here! Last night at the grocery store the cashier asked me about WDW since i was buying a gift card for there (gotta get the double fuel points and start saving now for the billions I expect to blow on our cruise!)

I think we spent about 10 min. comparing WDW to the local park (Cedar Point) which I have a more than familiar relationship with! :rolleyes1

Signed, Chatty Patty

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter