"John Carter" tracking could indicate a massive flop

doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Things aren't looking good for Disney's "John Carter"...tracking reports indicate that that reception to it is very soft, and it could wind up "the biggest writeoff of all time".

Although Disney still plans to shove a lot of marketing money at is still, a statement from an unnamed exec under Rich Ross did manage to mention that it is the "last leftover" of Dick Cook's tenure...perhaps a set up for the "Don't blame me..." explanation that could come later.

Current Disney will never learn that to strive for quality is, in the long run, a much better philosophy than striving for a blockbuster.

I hope its a good film. The book series were excellent, but I'm still put off by the fact that its pretty much Prince of Persia on Mars... That and the fact that currently there are many popular films out or coming soon that could easily blanket this one's release. Its a matter of reception and timing I suppose. Again, hopefully it'll be good, but I'm not super excited to see it (however I am super excited for Michael Giacchino's score for it! :thumbsup2 ).

I hope its a good film. The book series were excellent, but I'm still put off by the fact that its pretty much Prince of Persia on Mars... That and the fact that currently there are many popular films out or coming soon that could easily blanket this one's release. Its a matter of reception and timing I suppose. Again, hopefully it'll be good, but I'm not super excited to see it (however I am super excited for Michael Giacchino's score for it! :thumbsup2 ).

Prince of Persia was actually mildly entertaining. Not a film I need to see again, but it was fine for what it was -- a Netflix rental on a Saturday night.

It would be a shame if it is a failure. I really like the whole series when I was a kid and there is a bunch of very entertaining stories in the books.

Evidently I have led a sheltered life. I had never heard of John Carter until I saw a preview at the Movies while waiting for another show to start. Never heard of it and from the previews couldnt figure out hat it was supposed to be about. I think we will check it out though out of curiousity. Incidently we didn't care for Prince of Persia at all...

they should skip the CGI flicks and concentrate on building rollercoasters in florida...

i don't think that the quest for the blockbuster is inherently bad...its what the audience has shifted to look for...but i think they go about it in entirely the wrong fashion.
First, they need to stop using Nick Cage.
There...that's simple enough.
Second, the more recent "blockbusters" - with the notable exception of avatar...have NOT been entirely CGI based films.
Christopher Nolan's insistence on using real stunts and explosions by and large in the dark knight proved a point...it just looks better real.
The original pirates, if you think about it, was also about 90% live action stunts...with some supplemental CGI.

This John Carter appears to be the opposite...pixels upon pixels upon pixels.
It reminds me of the more recent "star wars"...fake and crappy. Like a Vin Diesel movie.

If this flops...and it will most likely...then nobody should be shocked.
The problem is that i will have to chip in to pay off the bill at the studio.

Because i always do (as do you)

1) Or, as it could be listed in papers . . . "Diz Fiz"
2) Just because Diz makes it, doesn't mean folks will come.
3) Still has to be a good movie.
4) And, it sounds like this one missed.

"...fake and crappy. Like a Vin Diesel movie.
Hah, we recently saw fast five...and we both really liked it, but mostly because wasn't fake and crappy. (I'm not sure how they did that "Dragging a giant iron safe through the streets of Rio" stuff, but it sure LOOKED real.)

I do admit I really want to like John Carter because of Andrew Stanton. The same reason I really wanted to like M:I4 for Brad Bird. But M:I4 was (mostly) fantastic and the trailers also looked good. This movie looks very, very blah. The trailers are so focusing on the action you don't have even a clue what the movies about, and therefore makes it look like dumb dumb action/ CGI crap.

Though I actually saw a web-site that I trust that is also usually really cynical about movies that recently said "We can't tell you about it yet, but its really good", so maybe the marketing is just plain awful.

Hmm...does Disney have a huge blockbuster coming up that they need something else to write off the profits for? :)

Hmm...does Disney have a huge blockbuster coming up that they need something else to write off the profits for? :)

No...I don't think so...

I'm pretty sure Dark Knight Rises is being distributed by Warner brothers.

Is cars 6 coming out this summer?

I surely hope it does well! I already bought the novelization, so i have a vested interest in the film. I just hope it doesnt flop like Mars Needs Moms, which I loved aswell.

I surely hope it does well! I already bought the novelization, so i have a vested interest in the film. I just hope it doesnt flop like Mars Needs Moms, which I loved aswell.

They both have "Mars" in the title. And they're both March releases. I'm suspecting they might have something else in common as well... but we'll see.

They both have "Mars" in the title. And they're both March releases. I'm suspecting they might have something else in common as well... but we'll see.

Actually, they dropped Mars from the title a while back. Maybe to avoid any connection :)

Actually, they dropped Mars from the title a while back. Maybe to avoid any connection :)

Did they officially drop "Mars" from the title, or is that just your interpretation? Is this an internal change or an external one? How do you know?

;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter