• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Johnny Depp Trial

Disney needs to retire the Pirate's franchise if they can't figure out how to right their wrongs with Johnny.

On that same podcast I was listening to, they mentioned that Disney's "dossier" on Depp was part of the trial, but that the Dossier never once mentioned Heard or their relationship. Again, this was a podcast and I didn't watch much of the trial at all, let alone the part about Disney, but if true, not sure what wrongs do they need to right?

Last edited:
For me #MeToo and Domestic Violence are two separate things in my mind. This case was a DV case wwhere both parties voluntary joined a personal / intimate relationship and it went bad. Violence within a trusted personal relationship.

MeToo for me, is a movement that focuses on sexual harassement and power over women in a work/industry environment- driven my women in Hollywood whose careers ended as they didnt partake in the "casting couch" . Ex. dirty old men like the Fox News boss or Harry Weinstein. And then things got out of hand where men were fired at work for simply patting a woman on her shoulder in non-sexual ways for any old reason. ( saying hey good job) ex..

thats just how I see things.

Last edited:
Actually I settled that case. The jury found me innocent and new evidence came to light. It turns out the real perpetrator matches the description of a foolish mortal dressed as a blue skeleton ghost. It was determined that the Voorhees family would go to Gracey Manor and inquire about the free vacancy room at the mansion. There they could live in true peace and serve justice directly to the accuser. But wait, this just in, HGTV is announcing that they are renovating manor. How will the family react? Tune into next week’s episode of “Misunderstood horror film villains” to find out. 🤣
By the way, is that supposed to be Whitney as Jason’s wife? 🤔
That was a great post. :-)
Gasp!:oops:

I was listening to a pop culture podcast on my walk this morning, not realizing how they would cover this trial (it was a few weeks ago, so it was mid-trial). They expressed my thoughts how 'the internet' has taken something really serious into a gigantic meme with arm-chair 20-something tik-tokers going (or attempting to go) viral about things that are serious and that they are not at all experts on. I think they called it the "commodification of other people's pain".
Are you referring to the "My Dog Stepped On a Bee" Tik-Tok?

Are you referring to the "My Dog Stepped On a Bee" Tik-Tok?

No Clue. I don't have Tik-Tok and the podcast I was listening to didn't identify the Tik-Tokers. The point was that people have made hay out of this trial, apparently including Lance Bass mocking her on a Tik Tok (or somewhere) and that he eventually took it down.

The point was also that this trial brought out the worst of entertainment/true crime obsession. Are we canceling people? Against cancel culture? Sympathetic of substance abuse problems? Not sympathetic to mental health issues? I think the answer is it doesn't matter if it gets you clicks and likes and viewers.

They both need help and they were both participants in an extremely toxic relationship between a man (who could have been her father) and woman with substance and mental health issues. Nothing about it is funny to me. I think JD (apparently) came out looking better and he absolutely benefitted from the live cameras. Not sure that's the point of the judicial system, but it worked well for him.

Wasn't Manson accused by a number of women of abuse?

I was listening to a pop culture podcast on my walk this morning, not realizing how they would cover this trial (it was a few weeks ago, so it was mid-trial). They expressed my thoughts how 'the internet' has taken something really serious into a gigantic meme with arm-chair 20-something tik-tokers going (or attempting to go) viral about things that are serious and that they are not at all experts on. I think they called it the "commodification of other people's pain".

That kind of sums up my thoughts.
Did they watch the trial? The whole thing, not bits and pieces. Not reading articles after the fact,.

Did you?

Unless you’re answer to the above questions is yes, then the entire podcast means nothing. The trial was the trial. It was based the evidence and arguments presented. Internet reaction to it is NOT what caused the verdict and I’m sick and tired of the ridiculous political skew of the mainstream media coverage of this. It’s extremely disappointing.

Did they watch the trial? The whole thing, not bits and pieces. Not reading articles after the fact,.

Did you?

Unless you’re answer to the above questions is yes, then the entire podcast means nothing. The trial was the trial. It was based the evidence and arguments presented. Internet reaction to it is NOT what caused the verdict and I’m sick and tired of the ridiculous political skew of the mainstream media coverage of this. It’s extremely disappointing.

I mentioned in my first post that the podcast was a couple of weeks old and in the middle of the trial.

Perhaps I wasn't clear but the point of the discussion was about the pop-culture/fandom angle of the trial. It was about the gleeful reactions to things they were observing in pop-culture/internet/social media about the trial. In fact, that it was recorded mid-trial points out that NO ONE had watched the whole trial at that point, yet people were meme-ifying it for klout. They, nor I, ever suggested it influenced the outcome (I've literally never seen that suggested anywhere).

I'll repeat what I thought made the most sense as a takeway: "the commodification of people's pain". Because that's what BOTH parties were claiming.

No Clue. I don't have Tik-Tok and the podcast I was listening to didn't identify the Tik-Tokers. The point was that people have made hay out of this trial, apparently including Lance Bass mocking her on a Tik Tok (or somewhere) and that he eventually took it down.

The point was also that this trial brought out the worst of entertainment/true crime obsession. Are we canceling people? Against cancel culture? Sympathetic of substance abuse problems? Not sympathetic to mental health issues? I think the answer is it doesn't matter if it gets you clicks and likes and viewers.

They both need help and they were both participants in an extremely toxic relationship between a man (who could have been her father) and woman with substance and mental health issues. Nothing about it is funny to me. I think JD (apparently) came out looking better and he absolutely benefitted from the live cameras. Not sure that's the point of the judicial system, but it worked well for him.
If this is your take away, then you’re just as guilty as what you’re accusing others of. He didn’t win this trial on optics. He won it on facts. How do live cameras affect the outcome at all, except in the court of public opinion?

The judicial system worked exactly like it was supposed to. AH was caught lying. Repeatedly and about everything. JD’s team proved their case.

If this is your take away, then you’re just as guilty as what you’re accusing others of. He didn’t win this trial on optics. He won it on facts. How do live cameras affect the outcome at all, except in the court of public opinion?

The judicial system worked exactly like it was supposed to. AH was caught lying. Repeatedly and about everything. JD’s team proved their case.

Goodness, I should just stop posting in the thread because I'm doing a terrible job of conveying things. The comment about the cameras in the trial and the court of public opinion is that his facial expression, reactions, etc were spewed all over the internet in an instant. People said that he was "so funny" or "wasn't it funny when" etc. I can't count the number of times I've seen the clip of him mouthing "I don't want to" when she said he couldn't even look at her. I have no opinion about the outcome because as I admitted, I didn't watch the whole thing. I wasn't on the jury, I didn't get judges instructions, etc. I couldn't possibly say anything more than I have: two people who had an intensely toxic relationship where there were mental health and substance use issues.

Just a note, some people in congress believe that cameras everywhere actually has a detrimental impact to them doing their jobs. Every congressman/senator knows cameras are on constantly and clips will hit the internet in literal moments. They (or many) want to score points/go viral/book their next cable news hit because ... well, that's what happens. I don't blame him for taking advantage of the situation since his business was being spewed for all the world to see, but was just saying the legal system isn't about what happens outside the courtroom in real time, but what goes on within its confines.

I was simply saying that cameras in the courtroom helped him well beyond the financial award. I would venture to guess many people tweeting/tiktoking about this trial didn't even know she'd authored an Op-Ed. I certainly didn't.

I'm not questioning the outcome of the trial, but was commenting on the entire circus surrounding it.

My gut feeling and pure speculation is that the jury actually hadn’t planned on giving any type of damages. Because if they were deliberating and coming up with those type of numbers they would not have forgotten to put them on the piece of paper. I think when they had to go back in the room they were like all right let’s just throw some numbers down to finish. And it could be that in their minds they were thinking if they were both looking for 50 or 100 million respectively - then they assumed 2/15 million is a wrist slap and a message. Most people though are speculating that the 12 million or so she owes him now is a financial impact on her.
Even Johnny Depp said he wasn’t looking for money and the judge was also hinting to the jury they could start at one dollar. So maybe they really did want to get these amounts and simply were stupid to forget to put it down. Or just tired and overwhelmed and wanted to get the heck out of there.

Most web “experts” 😂 were commenting or betting that The jury would find her at fault but not award any money($1.00) since in the end thenJiry would see The marriage was toxic and abusive from both parties. She just went beyond in her accusations and defamation.
I would have awarded Johnny the 7M that he gave her in the divorce. He doesn't care about the money and it would have sent her a message.

It was pretty evident from the beginning that she was lying about the abuse. None of her stories where consistent, she evaded questions, she made horrible claims of him beating her and breaking her nose, but did not go to the doctor and was photographed the next day with not a mark on her. And this happened over and over. Johnny is not a saint, but having a drug issue does not make you an abuser and you shouldn't be equating the two. As far as her "mental illness", she has a personality disorder, like many people do. Some are narcissistic, some are introverts, etc. But that does not mean that everyone has a mental illness, some people are just jerks.

I didn't equate the 2. I simply stated there were mental health and substance issues.

Again, I'm not doubting the outcome of a defamation verdict.

It really annoys me that so many media outlets are writing articles that accept every Heard story as true and presenting it as fact. It is grossly wrong. The UK trial was a totally different thing with totally different rules of evidence. Heard was not the defendant, she was just a witness. It was not Decided by a jury. For her and her crappy lawyer to be claiming that she “won” the UK trial is absolutely a lie at worst and utterly misleading at best.

The jury here was pulled from Northern Virginia, a very blue area in which I happen to live. Yet a jury unanimously found her completely lacking in credibility. Most people watching the entire trial came to the same conclusion as I did….that Depp was likely to win his case. He has amazing legal representation and they did a fantastic job.

And now I’m utterly suspicious of media outlets I used to rely on and respect. So good job, guys! Stick to writing the news and lay off the pontificating and speaking for all women. As a woman, I do not in any way want to be associated with someone like Amber Heard and I find it insulting and patronizing to be told what I should feel and why I should feel it. I have eyes.

Honest question? Is Johnny Depp sober these days? I watched an interview with a lawyer (observer) about the case and he made a comment about how he was sober throughout the 6 week trial. That implies to me that his sobriety (in a general sense) isn't stable. Or that was just a crass comment. I had just presumed he was sober/healthy (but again, I haven't kept up with his status/health at all).

Anyway, I hope most people wouldn't want to be associated with either of them based on their behavior on display (from the past) at the trial. And if he's not sober, let's hope he gets there. He's not a spring chicken anymore. I have an extended family member who lived a similar life (alcohol was their substance of choice) and he died in January at 61 (from health issues stemming from his habits).

It really annoys me that so many media outlets are writing articles that accept every Heard story as true and presenting it as fact. It is grossly wrong. The UK trial was a totally different thing with totally different rules of evidence. Heard was not the defendant, she was just a witness. It was not Decided by a jury. For her and her crappy lawyer to be claiming that she “won” the UK trial is absolutely a lie at worst and utterly misleading at best.

The jury here was pulled from Northern Virginia, a very blue area in which I happen to live. Yet a jury unanimously found her completely lacking in credibility. Most people watching the entire trial came to the same conclusion as I did….that Depp was likely to win his case. He has amazing legal representation and they did a fantastic job.

And now I’m utterly suspicious of media outlets I used to rely on and respect. So good job, guys! Stick to writing the news and lay off the pontificating and speaking for all women. As a woman, I do not in any way want to be associated with someone like Amber Heard and I find it insulting and patronizing to be told what I should feel and why I should feel it. I have eyes.
I've been suspicious of the media outlets for a while. I had a long thing typed out, but it sounded like I was being all "tin foil hat" lol. So I'll say that these big televised trials like this and Rittenhouse and I'm sure others, points out how media is used to manipulate the public. We get told things like Depp is an abuser and he's a horrible person etc, and with nothing else but her op-ed he was guilty. Then we actually get to see the trial and both sides of it and find out none of what had been said (and ran with) was really true at all. I don't say this like "oh don't believe anything the media tells you!" More just that stuff like this should open our eyes to think critically and look at multiple sources rather than just blindly following what the news says.

I've been suspicious of the media outlets for a while. I had a long thing typed out, but it sounded like I was being all "tin foil hat" lol. So I'll say that these big televised trials like this and Rittenhouse and I'm sure others, points out how media is used to manipulate the public. We get told things like Depp is an abuser and he's a horrible person etc, and with nothing else but her op-ed he was guilty. Then we actually get to see the trial and both sides of it and find out none of what had been said (and ran with) was really true at all. I don't say this like "oh don't believe anything the media tells you!" More just that stuff like this should open our eyes to think critically and look at multiple sources rather than just blindly following what the news says.
I’m really glad I got to watch the entire thing. If I had relied on articles even from many sources, I would have been badly misinformed. I really enjoyed the Lawtube panels of lawyers. One even practiced right here in Fairfax and was familiar with the judge. They provided deep dives into defamation law and other issues plus they were streaming constantly so there was never a shortage of sources. Several of the participating lawyers didn’t know anything at all about the case and at the beginning, most thought he wouldn’t win. But by the end, they all knew he would.

I’m really glad I got to watch the entire thing. If I had relied on articles even from many sources, I would have been badly misinformed. I really enjoyed the Lawtube panels of lawyers. One even practiced right here in Fairfax and was familiar with the judge. They provided deep dives into defamation law and other issues plus they were streaming constantly so there was never a shortage of sources. Several of the participating lawyers didn’t know anything at all about the case and at the beginning, most thought he wouldn’t win. But by the end, they all knew he would.
This makes me think about all the local criminal cases and such that you read about in the paper or see in the news. I work in a forensic mental facility, and some officers from a couple counties over were in here picking up a client that was being released. They were talking about a man who was in the pre trial process for murdering his wife. The one officer said since he works in transport he'd been to all of the pretrial hearings for this case and from what he'd heard, he couldn't imagine that the guy would ever be found guilty. Yet based on what was put out in the news, he was obviously guilty without a doubt. I don't think it's gone to trial yet, but regardless of the outcome, most people will believe he did it and must have found a loophole, or gotten some important evidence thrown out bc in most of those cases you only hear the prosecutors side of things, and we want to believe they are right. If they can get it so wrong on these huge cases that are under so much scrutiny, how wrong are they on the local cases that don't get that much attention?

It was pretty evident from the beginning that she was lying about the abuse. None of her stories where consistent, she evaded questions, she made horrible claims of him beating her and breaking her nose, but did not go to the doctor and was photographed the next day with not a mark on her. And this happened over and over. Johnny is not a saint, but having a drug issue does not make you an abuser and you shouldn't be equating the two. As far as her "mental illness", she has a personality disorder, like many people do. Some are narcissistic, some are introverts, etc. But that does not mean that everyone has a mental illness, some people are just jerks.
Being an introvert or extrovert is a personality trait or characteristic not a personality disorder. It’s estimated that approximately 9% of the US population has at least one personality disorder* I wouldn’t call that many.

As someone who lives with mental health issues I would respectfully ask that you please not use quotes around mental illness as it can come across as dismissive and it gives the connotation that it’s not a real issue for the person in question, that they are faking having a mental health issue.

I truly believe that Amber has BPD and that is a very difficult diagnosis for the individual and the people in their lives. Having BPD does not excuse Amber from her abuse and lies but it does explain the origins of some of her behavior.

*https://psychiatry.org/patients-fam...ders/what-are-personality-disorders#section_0

Last edited:
This HELPED the #metoo movement because literally he was there saying ME TOO and he was BELIEVED!

Women are not the only victims.
So much this. I have friends posting on FB about how it's so horrible that he "got away with it" and basically saying that because Amber's a woman and Johnny's a man, obviously she was the victim but rich and powerful men always get away with it. And I'm like, did you even watch the trial? Or follow ANY of the story at all? Men certainly can be victims, and women certainly can be aggressors. I'm very much part of the #metoo movement, and I strongly think that the tagline should be "believe victims" not "believe women."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter