Jon and Kate Plus 8. Official Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've seen the duggars before on the specials but i realy enjoyed the new show much more. seemed more relaxed-and given that both episodes dealt with traveling via air and bus with 19 people that's saying allot:rotfl: (and kudos to them for the idea of the recycled plastic grocery bags to bundle complete outfits together so they only have to pull from a suitcase what they need for that particular day:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 ).

i saw something last nite on the duggar show that realy impressed me, and it spoke volumes to me about michelle duggar and her parenting-while the kids were playing in central park one of the littler girls (looked to be about the age of the gosselin sextuplets) was having a some kind of issue and michelle got down right at eye level and was gently speaking with her. she was conveying that the behaviour was'nt appropriate and reminding her what the appropriate behaviour should be but doing it in a way that was obviously very loving and caring.

i think for me it's those kinds of gentle moments that i regret not seeing on j&k+8, moments when a parent reccognizes the need to intimatly connect with a child and bring a conversation physicaly and emotionaly down to their level. the duggars are 'different' for sure but i get the impression that immediatly telling a child to go to time out is'nt their first reaction for every misbehaviour (not that time-out's a bad technique it works great with some kids-i just think if it's not acting as a deterant then you need to explore other options, and i don't see it as a deterant on j&K+8 but more of a way to simply stop the behaviour for the time being without doing the follow up of talking to the child and discussing the reason they were put there/what the appropriate behaviour should be, so the behaviours repeat themselves-and sadly, it seems like some of the little kids have picked up bad behaviours from one another and in particular from thier older sister:sad1: ).

I completely agree! :thumbsup2

The kids see Jon go to work. Sure some J&K haters claims he doesn't work, but what we've seen on the show indicated that he does. The last episode I remember that specifically addressed it was about mid season. I think maybe the Young Chefs episode, or maybe music lessons. Anyway it was a day that one or both twins had something. Jon came in from work. Kate said how great it was that he could come home early from work to help get the girls to activities now that he was in business for himself. Also J&K both go away for speaking engagements.

My cousin who saw Jon and Kate at a speaking engagement said they both confirmed Jon does not work outside of the home. His working for Beth's husband, who is a developer, "fell through." The show is their job (and life as indicated on their website)! He is their official website consultant or something. Whatever works for them.

My cousin who saw Jon and Kate at a speaking engagement said they both confirmed Jon does was not working outside of the home. His working with Beth's husband "fell through." The show is their job (and life as indicated on their website)! He is their official website consultant or something. Whatever works for them.

Did it fall through because of how they treated beth with the book deal?

so, anymore "spoilers" from your cousin?
I hate to hear it fell through, but since they are moving it probably wouldn't have lasted long anyway.

So everything I've heard about Beth I assumed was speculation. Do we know what if anything really happened?

i've seen the duggars before on the specials but i realy enjoyed the new show much more. seemed more relaxed-and given that both episodes dealt with traveling via air and bus with 19 people that's saying allot:rotfl: (and kudos to them for the idea of the recycled plastic grocery bags to bundle complete outfits together so they only have to pull from a suitcase what they need for that particular day:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 ).

i saw something last nite on the duggar show that realy impressed me, and it spoke volumes to me about michelle duggar and her parenting-while the kids were playing in central park one of the littler girls (looked to be about the age of the gosselin sextuplets) was having a some kind of issue and michelle got down right at eye level and was gently speaking with her. she was conveying that the behaviour was'nt appropriate and reminding her what the appropriate behaviour should be but doing it in a way that was obviously very loving and caring.

i think for me it's those kinds of gentle moments that i regret not seeing on j&k+8, moments when a parent reccognizes the need to intimatly connect with a child and bring a conversation physicaly and emotionaly down to their level. the duggars are 'different' for sure but i get the impression that immediatly telling a child to go to time out is'nt their first reaction for every misbehaviour (not that time-out's a bad technique it works great with some kids-i just think if it's not acting as a deterant then you need to explore other options, and i don't see it as a deterant on j&K+8 but more of a way to simply stop the behaviour for the time being without doing the follow up of talking to the child and discussing the reason they were put there/what the appropriate behaviour should be, so the behaviours repeat themselves-and sadly, it seems like some of the little kids have picked up bad behaviours from one another and in particular from thier older sister:sad1: ).

You do realize how different their situations are, though, right? While Michelle has twice the kids, she also has a helper/buddy for the majority of the younger crew. They are also not the same age. Kate addressed that last night. Having six children at the same developmental stage/age is quite a bit different than having that many children even only a year apart. Michelle can take the extra time to draw out her discipline because the other children all have an older person to keep them occupied.

As far as discipline as a deterrent, the little girl she was talking to (I just figured out how to tell the Gosselin girls apart, so I'm nowhere near figuring out all the Js!! :laughing:) did the exact thing her mother told her not to do in subsequent scenes.

P.S. She totally stole the outfit per bag tip from the DIS!! :lmao: I am definitely that packer. Outfit, accessories, etc. in a different bag for each day. Definitely helpful when we're trying to get out of the door and into the parks!!

You do realize how different their situations are, though, right? While Michelle has twice the kids, she also has a helper/buddy for the majority of the younger crew. They are also not the same age. Kate addressed that last night. Having six children at the same developmental stage/age is quite a bit different than having that many children even only a year apart. Michelle can take the extra time to draw out her discipline because the other children all have an older person to keep them occupied.

As far as discipline as a deterrent, the little girl she was talking to (I just figured out how to tell the Gosselin girls apart, so I'm nowhere near figuring out all the Js!! :laughing:) did the exact thing her mother told her not to do in subsequent scenes.

P.S. She totally stole the outfit per bag tip from the DIS!! :lmao: I am definitely that packer. Outfit, accessories, etc. in a different bag for each day. Definitely helpful when we're trying to get out of the door and into the parks!!

i'm aware of the differences, and i actualy believe it would work to kate's advantage to try this tact with her kids. having children all at the same developmental stage/age affords the opportunity to have the others benefit from observing how their sibling is reacted to/dealt with when misbehaving. a teacher or daycare provider can have up to 12 children the same age as the sextuplets with no additional adult to keep others occupied when addressing the behaviours of one, but idealy they take the time to get down to the child's level, address the issue and use it as a learning experience for everyone whose observing.

what i appreciated about the scene in the duggar show was that michelle observed the behaviour and she addressed it in a much more caring manner that what i observe on j&k's show. she did'nt leave it to the older 'buddie' to do the parenting of the child in regards to discipline and (i have to say i LOVED THIS-) she did'nt observe the behaviour, grab her hair, bugg out her eyes and shiek at her husband "SHE'S DOING _______, WHY DID'NT YOU SEE HER DOING _________, YOU DEAL WITH IT!!!" (or alternatly) "GO TO TIMEOUT NOW".

the whole thing did'nt give me the cringe factor (and i did'nt have to keep adjusting the volume up and down so my kids are'nt commenting about me "watching that lady who yells at her husband and little boys again":rotfl: :rotfl: ).

I enjoy them too. They seem like a sweet family. Hope doing the show isn't an uh-oh! Can't believe Mom is pregnant again! I love Jim Bob and Michelle's quick wit. They seem to laugh at themselves before others can! The buddy thing doesn't bother me. They obviously are being parented by their parents. Michelle runs her family like a classroom, school, business, or the like. Kate doesn't use that same organizational mentality. Not that it's bad, (cringe, hide, etc.), just very different.

i'm aware of the differences, and i actualy believe it would work to kate's advantage to try this tact with her kids. having children all at the same developmental stage/age affords the opportunity to have the others benefit from observing how their sibling is reacted to/dealt with when misbehaving. a teacher or daycare provider can have up to 12 children the same age as the sextuplets with no additional adult to keep others occupied when addressing the behaviours of one, but idealy they take the time to get down to the child's level, address the issue and use it as a learning experience for everyone whose observing.

what i appreciated about the scene in the duggar show was that michelle observed the behaviour and she addressed it in a much more caring manner that what i observe on j&k's show. she did'nt leave it to the older 'buddie' to do the parenting of the child in regards to discipline and (i have to say i LOVED THIS-) she did'nt observe the behaviour, grab her hair, bugg out her eyes and shiek at her husband "SHE'S DOING _______, WHY DID'NT YOU SEE HER DOING _________, YOU DEAL WITH IT!!!" (or alternatly) "GO TO TIMEOUT NOW".

the whole thing did'nt give me the cringe factor (and i did'nt have to keep adjusting the volume up and down so my kids are'nt commenting about me "watching that lady who yells at her husband and little boys again":rotfl: :rotfl: ).

Having six at the same stage also means you have one challenge magnified six times. A teacher is also only in contact with the children for a small percentage of time compared to that of a parent. I can pretty uneventfully keep a classroom entertained and occupied for the six hours I have them. However, I am also able to devote all of my attention to them. While at home, parents have the task of watching their children and doing home duties, especially busy when the kids are home most of the time.

We've also only seen one episode (or two, technically) plus their specials. We have even less of a grasp of how things really work in the Duggar house than we do of the Gosselin house. I still contend that her style of discipline didn't seem to work as a deterrent to little J____'s behavior. At least based on this episode. That seemed to be a main point in your post.

I just think it's apples and pineapples. Kinda the same, but not really. :laughing:

How did they treat her?

Well what was said in an earlier thread about how Beth and kate wrote a book, then some how it turned out to be jon and kate and beth book. Also I remember seeing some where that tlc wanted to pay beth and her husband for using their house in some episodes,and kate said no.

I kinda feel bad for the Duggar kids. They can't possibly get the individual attention that they need or want.

It's sad that Jon & Kate have let all their money "go to their head", because they have lost family and friends from being so greedy.
I'm sure even though TLC wanted to pay Beth and Jodi, it wouldn't have taken anything ($$) away from Kate!!

I posted this on the Duggar thread floating around here, but to me there's no comparison between the Gosselins and Duggars. The Gosselin kids get more individual attention and "kid" time than the Duggar kids could ever imagine. I find it very, very strange that the boys and girls all share rooms (two rooms between 18 kids?!) and are expected to take care of and essentially raise each other while mom and dad lock themselves up in their bedroom to make more babies. It's like a cult, whereas the Gosselin house is more like a home :confused3

I posted this on the Duggar thread floating around here, but to me there's no comparison between the Gosselins and Duggars. The Gosselin kids get more individual attention and "kid" time than the Duggar kids could ever imagine. I find it very, very strange that the boys and girls all share rooms (two rooms between 18 kids?!) and are expected to take care of and essentially raise each other while mom and dad lock themselves up in their bedroom to make more babies. It's like a cult, whereas the Gosselin house is more like a home :confused3

:thumbsup2

Aside from the fact that each family is bigger than average and has a "reality" show, I don't see how you can compare them.

I really did like seeing how they fared in NYC, though. I'll have to catch the reruns to really watch. We head to NYC a couple times a year, and I think it's a really great place for people, especially like the Duggar kids, to see the vast array of people that make up our country. They seemed to appreciate the opportunity.

So, how long 'til there's a Duggar thread? Or will this become the TLC giant families on tv thread?:surfweb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter