Jon Gruden fired as coach of the Raiders

Apparently, the whole thing was uncovered while investigating the toxic workplace that is the Washington Football Team offices, yet nothing seems to be coming down on Dan Snyder's head for some reason.
The man is like Teflon. The Teflon created using PFOAs that is.

I should probably come up with an analogy to explain the joke. But I'm lazy.

Or, you know, don’t say misogynist and racist stuff and you don’t have to worry about it
This is a good rule of thumb.

It says a lot about the recipients of the e-mails that they didn't "suggest" that he should keep e-mails more appropriate/professional.
If someone sends me an email of that nature it's more likely I'm straight up calling them and asking "what the <censored> are you doing?". The only email I make in response to it is likely to be to HR.

If someone sends me an email of that nature it's more likely I'm straight up calling them and asking "what the <censored> are you doing?". The only email I make in response to it is likely to be to HR.
I've seen some doozies, but never anything like what supposed came from Gruden. I've seen the voluntary exit exposition criticizing the management on the way out - sent on blast to everyone. And then the same guy asking for his job back in a year.

I've heard rumors about people saying things that would get anyone fired, but I've only seen a little bit of foul language but not out and out misogyny. The worst ever said in front of me was someone who was literally joking about me sexually harassing a female coworker. He said it several times and I couldn't figure out why other than he thought it would be some sort of inside joke. He finally stopped when I told him it wasn't funny and I'd appreciated it if he would stop doing it.

Despite Gruden's insistence, the NFL didn't "force" Jeff Fisher to draft Michael Sam

Well then. That's one fewer Xmas cards Jeff is going to receive.

Well to be fair, not everyone can lead a perfectly puritan lifestyle and never say something dumb or offensive.

Well to be fair, Gruden didn't just fail to clear the highest of hurdles, he failed to clear a very low one. One has to get pretty far away from pure to say as many dumb and offensive things as Gruden did.

I guess the coach should have just bought the calendar the cheerleaders were posing for if he wanted to see them nearly naked.

Well to be fair, not everyone can lead a perfectly puritan lifestyle and never say something dumb or offensive.

I think Gruden and the NFL missed a learning / teaching opportunity here.

Gruden is a white guy in a position of power. As we all know and are learning more and more, white privilege is a real thing especially to those in authoritative positions. Emails and pictures being shared through email demonstrate that privilege as 10 years ago, Gruden likely looked at these sorts of things as guy banter and locker room talk and thought nothing of it. This DOES NOT justify what was done or said. What it does is demonstrates what we as a society are trying to get away from. The casual racism, misogynic and homophobia. The fact we look at this now with disgust shows progress. it should have always been this way yes, but we can't change past transgressions, only try to eradicate future ones.

I think it would have served the NFL, the public, and even Gruden much better to have addressed this. Instead of grabbing pitch forks and going on witch hunts which only seems to polarize peoples opinions (oh, we're firing people over 10 year old emails, silly cancel culture VS anyone who doesn't think he should be publicly hanged must be racist / misogynists'/ homophobic) and really gets us no where. It would have been better served to say this is a prime example of what needs to change and Gruden could have said something along the lines of with what has been learned over the last few years something like this never would have even been fathomed. Or something along those lines.

All that being said, this was unbelievably stupid on Gruden's part even 10 years ago. I don't think he should skirt responsibility by any stretch.

I do think it hilarious though that the Buccaneers took his name off the ring of honor, but keeps Warren Sapp's who solicited hookers and assaulted women. But that's a different thread.....
It was addressed. He was fired. Pretty clear message, that

Apparently, the whole thing was uncovered while investigating the toxic workplace that is the Washington Football Team offices, yet nothing seems to be coming down on Dan Snyder's head for some reason.
Former employees have stated he never puts things in an email. Verbal instructions only.

Yes, exactly this! What a bunch of hypocrites. They might as well fire all the coaches. I'm sure most of them have been guilty of saying inappropriate stuff :confused3

Agree 100% might as well release all the players that beat up women along with all the countless other things they’ve been arrested for while they’re at it. And while they’re at it cancel the halftime show, look up all their lyrics it makes Gruden’s look like nothing. Going on two years now of boycotting the NFL wish I’d done it sooner.

You guys keep talking about “saying inappropriate stuff” like it’s not a big deal.

All that “inappropriate stuff” is a big deal that affects people’s lives and livelihoods.

It depends on how inappropriate.

I'm not really one who appreciates inappropriate comments. I certainly wouldn't put up with someone continually denigrating people based on where they're from, gender, etc. However, I've come across a coworker commenting about a young, attractive female visitor to our office. He didn't say anything patently offensive, but it probably was something that his wife wouldn't have appreciated hearing. He certainly didn't act on it other than just a sly comment here and there. He wasn't in a position of relative power either. I wasn't that comfortable hearing it in the workplace, but he wasn't saying that this woman didn't belong there.

Who us this Dan Snyder dude? I thought Jack Kent Cooke owned the Washington Football Team. ;)

You guys keep talking about “saying inappropriate stuff” like it’s not a big deal.

All that “inappropriate stuff” is a big deal that affects people’s lives and livelihoods.
Just out of curiosity, how would something said in a private email 10 years ago affect peoples lives?

It was addressed. He was fired. Pretty clear message, that
A lot of people take this message as if you ever said anything inappropriate at any point in your life and we can prove it, you lose you job. Some folks view that as a witch hunt.

Just out of curiosity, how would something said in a private email 10 years ago affect peoples lives?

If you find out your boss says derogatory things about people of your race or sexual orientation behind your back, that wouldn't bother you or affect your job performance or relationship with your employer?

If you find out your boss says derogatory things about people of your race or sexual orientation behind your back, that wouldn't bother you or affect your job performance or relationship with your employer?
10 years after the fact when I don't work there anymore?

No, probably not.

Only if my boss’ opinions effected their own job performance. Does he say those things directly to the employees?
Is he good at his job, any complaints about the job he does? Has he been accused of sexual harassment or denying an employee something because of their race or sexual orientation?

i’ve got no problem with a person having opinions that I don’t agree with or even them saying things in a “private” conversation that are inappropriate. And yes i know email isn’t really private but you know what i mean.
As long as they do their job and TREAT their employees fairly, that is the bottom line for me.

And 10 years ago is a long time, have there been other incidents since? If no, at what point do we accept that someone made mistakes and has learned and changed?

And 10 years ago is a long time, have there been other incidents since? If no, at what point do we accept that someone made mistakes and has learned and changed?
To be fair, yes there were other things more recent to come up.

And I want to make clear I in no way condone what he did. It's wrong and he deserves what he gets.

I just think the NFL could have handled this better and missed an opportunity to try to get through to the "other" side.

To be fair, yes there were other things more recent to come up.

And I want to make clear I in no way condone what he did. It's wrong and he deserves what he gets.

I just think the NFL could have handled this better and missed an opportunity to try to get through to the "other" side.

I haven’t been following this too closely but IMO as long as a person treats people the right way I don’t have problems with their feelings/opinions about things. That’s just my personal views, in this case (if it was just about his emails) I wouldn’t have gotten outraged about what he said or looked at and called for him to be fired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter