Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

Any Christmas in Orlando plans this year? 20 to 31 for us.
No firm ones yet-we gotta go pick the kid up in early January and we've already determined that will be an adult only trip to start. Trying to talk DH into going down Dec 30th so we can spend NYE in Epcot. We will see-he has to get over sticker shock from Nov flight prices first LOL

No firm ones yet-we gotta go pick the kid up in early January and we've already determined that will be an adult only trip to start. Trying to talk DH into going down Dec 30th so we can spend NYE in Epcot. We will see-he has to get over sticker shock from Nov flight prices first LOL

Yeah, I hear ya with flights. Thank goodness I bought October when first opened. August I bought a few months after, and I am almost afraid I paid too much if I hadn't waited. But, that was because I was deciding if I really wanted to spend the money to take DD to FLA for her 16th birthday. Did the math, and well, we are going. I hope all works out for you. If you're around the 30th, we'll be in USO. Always welcome to say hello. Yay! Vacations this year.

Austria....wow! What took you there, specifically? Just a desire to visit somewhere new, or do you have extended family there?

We're in the UK so it's a short hop on the plane. My criteria for a holiday = a break from the real world. WDW/UO meets that requirement but so does being on top of a mountain with no company other than DH and cows or sheep :)

I think I may just have fallen in love with Big Chris! The snow globe photos were fantastic too - very Christmassy.

Perhaps not the most nutritious start to the morning, but OMG were they good.

Now you know that calories do not count on vacation. Muffins usually have some kind of fruitiness to them, therefore they are healthy. Chocolate milk? All that vitamin D in there. You're good to go!

15977126_10155363207481416_2224564907144011514_n.jpg

Looks like Tony when he's had too much for dinner! Hehehehe.

I love the sea lions. Did you see the video going around of the sea lion (in the wild) that pulled the little girl into the water? I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson to NOT feed wild animals!

We thought the ride was GREAT……not something I would class as a “big thrill” but exceptionally well done nonetheless. The special effects were superb, it felt very realistic (as if we were truly in a safari vehicle, driving through the jungle) and there was enough movement and enhancements to be deemed super cool while (thankfully) not being sickness-inducing.

I really like Kong because it feels so realistic. I don't get motion sick at all on it.

….but as fun as the ride was, the best part was the view of London across the water. Gorgeous!! :worship:

We've actually never been in the parks after dark except for HHN too. Hopefully we'll get to see them at night during Christmastime this year.

I love the sea lions. Did you see the video going around of the sea lion (in the wild) that pulled the little girl into the water? I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson to NOT feed wild animals!

Sadly, the public will still continually get too close to wild animals, and feed wild animals; assuming they are doing no harm. It's not "just that family" that needs to learn their lesson. Sorry.....soap box....

Sadly, the public will still continually get too close to wild animals, and feed wild animals; assuming they are doing no harm. It's not "just that family" that needs to learn their lesson. Sorry.....soap box....
I agree. Hopefully everyone that sees that video will also stop feeding them. Luckily the girl was ok. Someone jumped in after her and was able to rescue her right away. The sea lion could have killed her.

Yay! Love seeing the pictures, as it also reminds us of our Christmas vacation.

My kids, who declared they were done with Disney, decided to go to WDW for Christmas vacation this year. Well, after hearing the new VB and what new stuff USO is doing, split stay for us. My poor pocketbook. And crazy, I know. The kids were not fond of the Christmas Party last year. (that may have been because of our way too late flight the early morning of) So, haven't bought that yet. I guess I'd better if we do, earlier than later, as I think the last one was a sell out.

Any Christmas in Orlando plans this year? 20 to 31 for us. And no, no Busch parks this time. We've done the Grover passes several times, and while enjoyed DC for three times so far, not interested this year. Even with Blue Friday.

I'd love to also hear how your VB Cabana works out. I think I may do it for one for a day, since I know we will spend several hours in VB. Here's hoping the extra warm weather we had, will be again this year.

Follow on. Your trip reports are fabulous.

Aw, thank you Lynne! :goodvibes

Sadly, we have no plans for Christmas in Orlando this year :sad1:. I'm more than a little bummed about that, but I can't see it happening for two reasons: budget is one, and living so far from family is the other (I suspect that any time off that we have around the holiday season will be spent back in Canada). I am so thrilled to hear that you have such a fun 11 days planned, though!! And while the split stay might be tough on the wallet, you'll be making some awesome memories with those kiddos of yours.....and that, as we both know, is priceless ::yes::. I'll be living vicariously through you this Christmas!!

WOW! Did I miss a lot in less than a week! We spent a long weekend in Nags Head in the Outer Banks (beach, drinks, relaxation, AAAHHH:woohoo:). Congrats Gina on your job!! :banana: That extra $$ will come in handy for vacations!
@dancin Disney style congrats to DD!! And I applaud your decision to have a job which gave you flexibility for your kids. I did the same when my DS's were young. Could have made more $$ and had a better paying full-time job but opted for less responsibility and a part-time job. They grow so fast - as I see now that they're all grown up! Glad I was there for them.
Gina, glad you enjoyed Kong!
:welcome: back! Your long weekend sounds FABULOUS! The beach is just so.....rejuvenating. Any pics you care to share?

I wasn't suggesting you go and commit any crimes....but it's excellent advice to have bail money handy, just in case. BTW, you're hardly an old dog.

I'm feeling like an old dog these days. The two young women that I'm being trained alongside? Their ages, added together, don't equal mine :scared:. Not only am I old enough to be their mother, my own child is older.....by several years....than they are!

Homeland Security wouldn't take too well to me being TOO wild and crazy (bail money would be the least of my worries :rolleyes1) but I'm trying to be a little more spontaneous and adventurous. Of course, "spontaneous" in my world would be having dinner out on Wednesday night instead of Friday night :p . Let's just say I've got nowhere to go but up where spontaneity is concerned.

Ugggg....don't even make me think about the money. I probably would be making about 3-4 times what I do with a lot less headache.

You're right about how fast they grow up. I can hardly believe that I'm basically done. GC just got her university offers in the mail and has accepted one. Although, today is 'parenting' day. I got an email this morning from her math teacher and it's not at all pretty. Going to have to be all adult on her and deal with it. If she doesn't get her act together in math she could lose the university offer. Of course she will be missing math for the next two days to go out of town to do a job that lays a little ground work for her future.
Is there anyone that wants to come over and deal with this kid today?

It's hard for young people to keep their focus during that last couple of months of high school. They are so close to the finish line.....prom and graduation are just inches from their grasp.....that its difficult to stay the course once the weather grows warmer and those college and university acceptances have all been received. You're both almost there, though, momma bear. I'm sure she will do just fine in the end :thumbsup2.

I've always wanted a daughter, but...... I think you'll do fine!::yes:: Here's to you from all of us :grouphug: and a little :drinking1 can't hurt!

I'll join in on that hug! :grouphug:

NYE in Epcot would sure make for a special night :cloud9:. Makes me want to suggest it to Steve :rolleyes:.

Yeah, I hear ya with flights. Thank goodness I bought October when first opened. August I bought a few months after, and I am almost afraid I paid too much if I hadn't waited. But, that was because I was deciding if I really wanted to spend the money to take DD to FLA for her 16th birthday. Did the math, and well, we are going. I hope all works out for you. If you're around the 30th, we'll be in USO. Always welcome to say hello. Yay! Vacations this year.

Lynne, I can't remember what your October dates are. Do we overlap at all?

I'm pretty sure I just lost the battle. If you still want her, you can have her.

Oh no!! I hope you had an emergency supply of chocolate and wine to help soothe the battle wounds.

We're in the UK so it's a short hop on the plane. My criteria for a holiday = a break from the real world. WDW/UO meets that requirement but so does being on top of a mountain with no company other than DH and cows or sheep :)

I think I may just have fallen in love with Big Chris! The snow globe photos were fantastic too - very Christmassy.

Wasn't he just a sweetie? I am sure he captures lots of the ladies hearts ::yes::.

It çertainly was lovely weather in December, we were in SW on Christmas Eve and had a lovely time.
We've done three Christmas trips now, and each one has been HOT. Not just pleasant, but really quite warm :beach:. It is such a nice escape for us northerners......but man, is the cold hard to adjust to once we come home!! :cold:

Now you know that calories do not count on vacation. Muffins usually have some kind of fruitiness to them, therefore they are healthy. Chocolate milk? All that vitamin D in there. You're good to go!

Looks like Tony when he's had too much for dinner! Hehehehe.

Fruit in MY muffins? Heck, no! :lmao: Chocolate chip all the way, baby :thumbsup2. You know my philosophy: "if you're gonna go, go big" :teeth:.

I saw that! :eek: Completely terrifying. That was one lucky little girl.....the outcome of that incident could have been SO much worse.

Yay! My favorite part of the TR is coming up! :D

At long last!!! I can't wait to share the pictures of the tour......it was one of my favourite parts of the day!

I really like Kong because it feels so realistic. I don't get motion sick at all on it.

We've actually never been in the parks after dark except for HHN too. Hopefully we'll get to see them at night during Christmastime this year.

Kong was done exceptionally well. I had my doubts when I saw the ride vehicle, thinking something that holds that many people would surely be mediocre for those stuck in the middle of each row.....but that was absolutely not the case. So, so great!

What are your dates for Christmas this year? Are you guys doing both Disney & Universal again?

I actually thought of you when I first saw the story on the news. I was quite certain I knew what your response would be ;). For what its worth, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Perhaps, if there is anything good to come out of that family's ordeal, it's that maybe, hopefully, there will be others out there who learn a valuable lesson.

I agree. Hopefully everyone that sees that video will also stop feeding them. Luckily the girl was ok. Someone jumped in after her and was able to rescue her right away. The sea lion could have killed her.

Lucky, indeed ::yes::. They say it was the child's grandfather who jumped into the water to rescue her. That wee lady is fortunate he was so quick to react.

We'll probably just go down for a long weekend this year. Dates aren't finalized yet, but we're out of vacation time with the 2 weeks we've already taken so we can't go any longer.

We're also not renewing our Disney APs (at least not for that trip maybe next year) because I mostly want to go for the new Harry Potter Christmas stuff. So it'll be just Universal and maybe some Disney Springs that weekend!

Okay, ya'll are making me feel very insignificant in comparison. If I get to 50,000, I think I've done incredible. How do you all manage to max out at 999,999?!?!? Am I truly that uncoordinated? :sad:

Hahaha don't feel bad, your 50,000 has me beat!!!

Okay, ya'll are making me feel very insignificant in comparison. If I get to 50,000, I think I've done incredible. How do you all manage to max out at 999,999?!?!? Am I truly that uncoordinated? :sad:

My son (who has maxed out) told me there is a spot on Zorg at the end that does it. Not sure how true this is (coming from a then 9 year old) LOL

My son (who has maxed out) told me there is a spot on Zorg at the end that does it. Not sure how true this is (coming from a then 9 year old) LOL
Youtube my friends.....
Some of this info is not 100% but it's VERY close

I like this one better....

If you aren't familiar with this couple watch some of their videos. They're fun.

We'll probably just go down for a long weekend this year. Dates aren't finalized yet, but we're out of vacation time with the 2 weeks we've already taken so we can't go any longer.

We're also not renewing our Disney APs (at least not for that trip maybe next year) because I mostly want to go for the new Harry Potter Christmas stuff. So it'll be just Universal and maybe some Disney Springs that weekend!

I can't WAIT to see pictures of the new Harry Potter events during the Christmas season. Everything else that JK Rowling has had a hand in has been so exceptionally well carried out, I can imagine that its going to be even better than I'm imagining.

Aw, you just made me feel so much better!! :goodvibes Video games have never been my best skill :rolleyes:.

Hey, 9 year olds would be experts when it comes to that kind of thing. I'd take his word over any adult!! :rotfl:

Youtube my friends.....
Some of this info is not 100% but it's VERY close

I like this one better....

If you aren't familiar with this couple watch some of their videos. They're fun.

But.....but......that's cheating!! :eek:

Monday, December 19th (continued) :santa:

15965391_10155363232841416_5447210203553314432_n.jpg

After our snow globe photos, we decided to stroll over to Antarctica to visit the penguins while we waited for our friends. They had confirmed via text that they were officially in transit, so we knew they would be arriving soon, though they’d have to park and work their way through bag check and the turnstiles once they pulled into the lot. We definitely had enough time to visit with some of SeaWorld’s most adorable residents!

15894305_10155363207376416_7511195024535770278_n.jpg

We admired the charming Christmas décor as we strolled along…..SeaWorld does SUCH a fabulous job at decking the halls for the holiday. Unlike the Magic Kingdom, where most of the Christmas decorations are located in or around Main Street USA, SeaWorld carries their festive décor throughout the entire park. There are snowman light globes, nutcrackers, garland and shiny baubles everywhere you turn……and almost all of them light up after the sun goes down to create a magical Christmas wonderland.

15940807_10155363209286416_2242649981552247661_n.jpg

15965233_10155363207061416_2478471777070288103_n.jpg

Even the gardens are beautifully planted with miniature trees and real poinsettia plants.

15965387_10155363233271416_8600216315878512706_n.jpg

Another aspect of SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration that I love (and that I’m sure many people don’t even notice): the music. Yes, the other parks play Christmas music as well ….. something I NEVER tire of, but then again, I’m one of those weirdos who listens to Christmas tunes in July if the right mood strikes me [Youtube is the best invention since sliced bread……just sayin’] … but it’s the kind of Christmas music that makes it special. They go beyond the customary Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town (and the hundreds of others along the same vein, including modern hits such as All I Want For Christmas is You) and you’ll hear, mixed into the generic favourites that I just rhymed off, more traditional songs like Joy to the World, the First Noel, and Hark the Harold Angels Sing. It seems most businesses shy away from any aspect of Christmas that involves the more Christian basis for the holiday, and I understand why: religion, for the most part, is a taboo and divisive subject. For our family, though, Christmas is all about the historical and traditional meaning versus the commercial one. To be able to experience Christmas in Orlando at a place that embraces the conventional basis of the holiday (their signature show, Oh Holy Night, is the perfect example) is very special for us indeed. The little, traditional touches that SeaWorld infuses into their holiday celebrations are often subtle but make such a huge impact.

15965314_10155363207671416_2048577279013405827_n.jpg

I probably just talked too much there. Sorry about that :o. Moving right along……

15940359_10155363206406416_6421382951453055382_n.jpg

We arrived at Antarctica, and headed inside. We always chose the “mild” side for the ride, as we don’t find the “wild” side enhances the experience whatsoever. It’s not the ride, though, that is the shining star of this attraction. It’s these precious birds that steal the show every single time :):

15965611_10155363227616416_6763664472832112243_n.jpg

I am obsessed with these stubby, chubby, loveable creatures. With the appropriate clothing, I could happily spend the entire day right inside the Antarctica exhibit. They are so entertaining and engaging. I often think that SeaWorld knows that people would be hesitant to leave if the temperatures were more bearable, and that’s why they keep it so painfully cold in there!! :cold:

15895074_10155363227581416_5783534561979553011_n.jpg

15941029_10155363227591416_6491141639652626417_n.jpg

I also swear that some of the penguins have truly figured out that they’re adored by the masses. A few of them waddled straight for the camera, and appeared to strike a pose. I kid you not.

15940742_10155363226711416_1534269918843300323_n.jpg

See? Posing. Seriously ::yes::.

15966127_10155363227171416_3468053719814471743_n.jpg

We were oohing and aahhing at the penguins when we received the text we were anticipating: Kerry, Robert and David were inside the park. We set a meeting place near the front entrance, and Steve and I hustled back to greet them. Once we had all convened, we planned out our next step: and that, happily, was the Wild Arctic Tour with another member of the Disboards, @Joanna71985 :goodvibes.

As I have often mentioned before, SeaWorld has offered some AMAZING deals on Black Friday in past years: many times, everything from annual passes to dining plans to park tours have been offered on a BOGO basis over the Black Friday weekend. The only ‘downfall’ to a BOGO offer is, of course, if you have an odd-numbered group. You either end up paying full price for the 3rd, 5th or 7th person (foregoing the BOGO deal for the last member of your party) or you end up with a spare ticket. Kerry had long since had the Wild Arctic tour on her SeaWorld bucket list (we had talked about it way before the Black Friday deals were ever released), so when it came up on the sale as one of their BOGO deals, we absolutely HAD to do it: but, with our party of 5, we’d suffer the odd-number dilemma. After a short debate, we opted for the spare ticket and hoped we could find another person who would not feel awkward about joining us for the tour. he Dis is an amazing way to make connections, and I was thrilled when (after tossing out of the offer in one of my current threads) Joanna contacted me to say her schedule would allow for her to join us for that portion of our day. We exchanged contact information before our trip, so once Kerry and the boys arrived, we were able to text her with our location so we could meet up.

Everyone say hi to Joanna!!

DSCF2035_zpszuzuvlbb.jpg

Just in case anyone is worried, I made sure she was okay with me sharing her photos in this part of the report before posting :thumbsup2.

We knew the tour was going to be fairly lengthy, so we opted to all converge at Mango Joes (which is right next to Wild Arctic) and have some snacks before it was time to check in for our session. I wasn’t yet hungry enough for a full entrée, so I just had a soft drink and a dessert (rationalizing I’d walk off most of those calories before the day was out……that sounded plausible :scratchin ).

DSCF2038_zpszzfu9tf7.jpg

Steve was going to take full advantage of his all-day dining plan, and opted for a double cheeseburger and some fruit.

DSCF2040_zpsssesa8xr.jpg

He also thought my pudding cup looked mighty yummy, so he decided to get one of those for himself, too :p:

DSCF2039_zpskudrswfc.jpg

David and Steve are burger buddies: hamburgers are not only a favourite, but a food group for those two. I am pretty sure David had the same entrée, enjoying a hearty snack elbow-to-elbow with Steve at a table in the warm Florida sunshine :sunny:. I’m sure dining outside in December is pretty normal for Joanna (who has lived in Florida for some time now) and Kerry’s family (all of whom were born and raised in the Jacksonville area) but for us, it’s always quite a novel experience in December. So awesome! :cool1:

After we had sufficiently fueled up at Mango Joes, we hit the restrooms and checked in for our tour. Our guide had a total of about 12 people, and she would accompany us through each aspect of the tour and give us lots of great information about both the animals and their unique care as we transitioned along.

To start off, photographers took photos of each group in front of the Wild Arctic tour sign. They informed us that all pictures taken by Photokey staff on the tour would be available for purchase once the session had concluded, or that they would be added to the account of anyone who had purchased a digital Photokey product (either the daily pass or the annual pass). Since our Photokey annual pass was still active, all of our pictures here would be completely free. Happy dance!! :banana:

15741074_10155322910001416_8591393750161567287_n.jpg

amazingphoto61093r_zpshfhqzfld.jpg

amazingphoto61667r_zpsmebijbu1.jpg

The SeaWorld Wild Arctic Tour is next.

The pudding at Mango Joe's is one of my favorites!! So good

And I agree about the Christmas music. I love the music SeaWorld has in the background. This may make me a dork, but I got to know which BGM played over near Pacific Point (as I heard it so often waiting for the show to open)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter