June W. I. S. H. - Summer o' Fun

Loved your chair story, Summer! That chair will eventually pass down through your family with such a wonderful backstory. And you were so right about traveling-it was fun to pack, ride the airport shuttle, fly again! So I am looking forward to our trip this summer very much.
I am very much looking forward to our book club getting back together, hopefully by this fall. We had a group of 12-18 women every month-we all worked together at the HS for many years. I kept in touch with my closest group of 8 throughout the pandemic, but I miss those others very much. The occasional online chat just wasn’t the same. And my group of 8 will come to my house at the beach for a week in August!

I’d really like to start up yoga again, at the place in the neighborhood I can walk to. But want to not have to wear a mask doing it. Our state might fully open end of the month, if enough people get vaxed.

The balloon flight this morning got canceled due to two fog banks in the area… can’t land if you can’t see. I’m rebooked for a morning during my week off. I’m going to get a steak lunch and see if I can get in for a pedicure. Other than thatI’ll do some stuff in the yard as it is going to get wet again tomorrow.

I’d really like to start up yoga again, at the place in the neighborhood I can walk to. But want to not have to wear a mask doing it. Our state might fully open end of the month, if enough people get vaxed.

The balloon flight this morning got canceled due to two fog banks in the area… can’t land if you can’t see. I’m rebooked for a morning during my week off. I’m going to get a steak lunch and see if I can get in for a pedicure. Other than thatI’ll do some stuff in the yard as it is going to get wet again tomorrow.
Sorry your trip was postponed but your Plan B sounds like a nice day as well!

Happy Self-Care Sunday!!

An important component of self-care for many is simplifying. Since now is a big point of change for many of us (the transition from the academic year to summer vacation, re-opening of our states, etc.) do you have any plans to downsize your stuff, schedule, expectations, or negative thoughts?

Such a timely topic!

1. DH is a hoarder...not the kind you see on tv...we are not walking through a maze created by stacks of newspapers! He holds onto nonsense stuff for too long. I gave him baskets to help organize his clutter, and we keep having to buy more baskets! He used to dream about living on a houseboat with minimal belongings (before tiny houses became the rage) and I would ask him where he would keep all his takeout menus and catalogs (yes, he still orders clothes and other items over the phone!). This man has more shoes than I do! He has a bigger closet and it's busting at the seams! Anyway, I do seasonal purging and removal of clutter. Now that part of DD's styling career will include closet audits, she has gotten better at not holding onto things. (Mental note* ask her to do a closet audit with Daddy). Last year, we wanted to refinance our mortgage for a lower interest rate, but we couldn't find a company that would do the inspection virtually. A year later, we will try again now that I feel safer letting a stranger in my home. That will force all of us to declutter.

2. After this week, my schedule will be downsized drastically as I will be out of school for 6 weeks.

3. This year taught me how to manage my expectations...sad to say, I don't expect much and I am thrilled by the smallest things now. Our Thankful Thursdays have helped me focus on what I already have to be grateful for rather than expecting perfection.

4. Negativity gets you nowhere. I have always been that "glass half full" girl. My optimism, sense of humor, and faith saved me this year. When others were all doom and gloom, I knew that our brilliant scientists would get us a vaccine. There is no doubt that I cry, but I also laugh until it hurts or I wet my pants. I turn misery and fear into jokes. I post funny stuff on FaceBook every day and watch funny things on tv. (Pollyanna and I frequent "Funny Memes" on the Community Board. Check it out!). I keep my news viewing to a minimum. My faith is unshakable. I pray, and He always takes care of everything.

I am working on downsizing the stuff in my classroom AGAIN. This is my third year in a row moving classrooms. And each move, I force myself to get rid of some things.

I also plan to simplify my schedule. With the kids having their licenses now, my schedule has already been simplified a little. But during the summer, I try to fit in as much relaxing while also completing projects that are too complicated to do during the school year. But this summer is different. I usually go into the summer with a long list of projects. Not this summer. Do I guess I’m also simplifying my expectations. So far all I have in terms of expectations is to complete the virtual Lion King 5k, bike the new rail trail nearby and help out as much as possible with little niece and nephew. There are only three small house projects. Put together new tables for the basement, hang pictures in the basement, and clean out the linen closet in our bathroom.

Still working on clearing out the stuff-and getting my husband to purge as well. He has worked from home for many years and we have the files and papers to prove it. He’s planning to retire in a year so it’s a good time to get rid of them. I need to schedule a day once a week to just declutter.

I do hope to spend more time at the beach this summer. I’ve already mentioned to friends and family I will let them know when I’m there and they are welcome to join me.

I’ve been reading that the parks are getting busy again and with no fast passes lines are long. I don’t care. If I get to experience some of the new rides with my grandson that’s enough-we’re staying for half our trip at the Grand Floridian Villas (where we’ve never stayed) and I plan to sit by the pool or on the balcony with a glass of wine and just be happy to be together!

Still working on clearing out the stuff-and getting my husband to purge as well. He has worked from home for many years and we have the files and papers to prove it. He’s planning to retire in a year so it’s a good time to get rid of them. I need to schedule a day once a week to just declutter.

I do hope to spend more time at the beach this summer. I’ve already mentioned to friends and family I will let them know when I’m there and they are welcome to join me.

I’ve been reading that the parks are getting busy again and with no fast passes lines are long. I don’t care. If I get to experience some of the new rides with my grandson that’s enough-we’re staying for half our trip at the Grand Floridian Villas (where we’ve never stayed) and I plan to sit by the pool or on the balcony with a glass of wine and just be happy to be together!
I’ve read a couple threads where diehard FP+ users are saying it is so much better without them, the lines look long but continually move. Hopefully more shows that pull in people will be opening up, which will help a lot.

I’ve been in downsizing and simplification mode for a while. Every month I make a donation trip. In July I’ll also be taking a load of my Sister’s stuff to her when I go for 4th of July. I hope to be ready to have the Got Junk people here in August. I go thru clothing on a regular basis, but also keep buying, so not making much headway there. Same with shoes.

Today is overcast and damp, so not planning on much of anything, except I think I’ll go up for the farmers market, and then possibly down the the antique mall. All in all a nice relaxing birthday weekend.

With the twins leaving this week, I've been thinking and thinking about how I want the house to really look. All these decades and pretty much everything in this house is a hand me down from someone else! What do I want? Still haven't decided! DH was no help. I think I framed the question wrong because he went into nitty gritty about window frames, etc! He did have a fantastic answer when I asked what he thought about the twins leaving and it's back to just the two of us again: "Wonderful!" :cloud9:

I lost a pound this week and I'm not sure how I did it! Maybe I'm only remembering the bad decisions and not all the good ones. Probably should switch that focus around!

QOTD: Stuff is about to take a hit! Schedule is about to be vastly simplified as twins leave and then I'm off work for July. I usually don't have huge expectations about anything (something I probably should work on!) and hello! What's my name on here? I'm a super upbeat person but in a very quiet not in your face way!!

I’ve been in downsizing and simplification mode for a while. Every month I make a donation trip. In July I’ll also be taking a load of my Sister’s stuff to her when I go for 4th of July. I hope to be ready to have the Got Junk people here in August. I go thru clothing on a regular basis, but also keep buying, so not making much headway there. Same with shoes.

Today is overcast and damp, so not planning on much of anything, except I think I’ll go up for the farmers market, and then possibly down the the antique mall. All in all a nice relaxing birthday weekend.

7CA9402D-64AB-47D7-AB2E-FAAFDD87A320.jpeg

Answering my own question, I absolutely plan to downsize STUFF this summer. (Of course, I plan to do that every summer, with limited success. :laughing: - But I'm going to keep trying!)

After I moved my Gram to an adult home and eventually a nursing home I had to put her house up for sale. There was so much junk of no value. Think of over a hundred empty food containers, like cottage cheese to reuse and empty boxes of all sizes, just in case. It made me think that I never want my son to have to go through lots of junk from me when I move or die. So I strive to keep purging.

What also helps is that I moved in with a boyfriend years ago, and sold a lot of stuff or donated. Then after 10 months he decided he didn't want to continue the relationship (took up with a lady in a wheelchair in the neighborhood- I can't even make this stuff up!) and luckily my house up for sale, hadn't sold yet but was empty. As I left his place I left him with stuff I didn't want like dishes and such because I wanted new stuff anyway. So I got to purge again! Then just last November I decided to move out of that city (loads of bad memories) and sold my house but in doing so again, purged even more stuff!

I have great ideas for losing weight (20 pounds in a few months!) and purging junk out of your home. Move a few times and go through a horrible break-up.
Hey, I had to find some silver linings!

With the twins leaving this week, I've been thinking and thinking about how I want the house to really look. All these decades and pretty much everything in this house is a hand me down from someone else! What do I want? Still haven't decided! DH was no help. I think I framed the question wrong because he went into nitty gritty about window frames, etc! He did have a fantastic answer when I asked what he thought about the twins leaving and it's back to just the two of us again: "Wonderful!" :cloud9:

I lost a pound this week and I'm not sure how I did it! Maybe I'm only remembering the bad decisions and not all the good ones. Probably should switch that focus around!

QOTD: Stuff is about to take a hit! Schedule is about to be vastly simplified as twins leave and then I'm off work for July. I usually don't have huge expectations about anything (something I probably should work on!) and hello! What's my name on here? I'm a super upbeat person but in a very quiet not in your face way!!
'

How wonderful! I seem to never hear those good stories and still hope for true love some day. Guess that's why I love Disney.princess::bride:

I have been getting rid of so much stuff, my husband is not on board but I do what I can. I had to clean out relatives houses after they died and I do not want my kids to have to do that. I plan to get rid of half my stuff.
Exactly. Maybe you'll have to sneak out some of his stuff while he's not looking. JK, don't.
Some old friends of mine, the husband pack rat. Saved so many things from childhood. Lots of trophies from bowling and stuff. She makes him keep it at his workplace.
He owns a business. But I don't know what she'll do when he retires and sells the place. :scared:

Such a timely topic!

1. DH is a hoarder.... This man has more shoes than I do! He has a bigger closet and it's busting at the seams! :oops:

3. This year taught me how to manage my expectations...sad to say, I don't expect much and I am thrilled by the smallest things now. Our Thankful Thursdays have helped me focus on what I already have to be grateful for rather than expecting perfection.

That's wonderful.:goodvibes

4. Negativity gets you nowhere. I have always been that "glass half full" girl. My optimism, sense of humor, and faith saved me this year. When others were all doom and gloom, I knew that our brilliant scientists would get us a vaccine. There is no doubt that I cry, but I also laugh until it hurts or I wet my pants. I turn misery and fear into jokes. I post funny stuff on FaceBook every day and watch funny things on tv. (Pollyanna and I frequent "Funny Memes" on the Community Board. Check it out!). I keep my news viewing to a minimum. My faith is unshakable. I pray, and He always takes care of everything.

I like to see the worst side of things, that way they can only get better! Keep my expectations low.

Just lost my position at work. Louis DeJoy, if you know that name from the news, is cleaning house. 🤬
And although many co-workers and family and friends feel bad for me, I am looking at it as an adventure.
I might get a better paying position! There were things about my current position that have been annoying me.
So I'm on an adventure.
I'm not terminated yet.... unless I can't find a new position by October, which I doubt that will happen. But luckily, I could
retire, although financially not a good move right now, but I could always find another job to supplement if I need to.
So I'm not worried.:wizard:
Planning a Disney vacation in November helps keep my spirit up too!:smickey:princess:

069D997F-9F2E-43DE-AEE6-E6278EA8B632.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter