Juneau - what would you choose

Jeni1781

Mouseketeer
We currently have a panning for gold excursion, and a sled dog camp (not on a glacier) excursion booked. We also talked about taking the blue bus or a taxi to mendenhall glacier first thing in the morning. We do think we can fit all 3 and the last excursion ends 30 minutes before the return time to the ship. But now we are hearing mendenhall has shrunk a lot and might not be worth the added stress of squishing 3 things into one day. So if you had to pick 2 which would you do and why? Thanks.

We currently have a panning for gold excursion, and a sled dog camp (not on a glacier) excursion booked. We also talked about taking the blue bus or a taxi to mendenhall glacier first thing in the morning. We do think we can fit all 3 and the last excursion ends 30 minutes before the return time to the ship. But now we are hearing mendenhall has shrunk a lot and might not be worth the added stress of squishing 3 things into one day. So if you had to pick 2 which would you do and why? Thanks.
Here's some views of the glacier from the visitor center area (in 2022):

IMG_1524.JPGIMG_1520.JPG

You won't have an up close view of the glacier but we still thought it was very beautiful. Also, since we were a tour, we hiked one of the trails and learned all about how the glacier has receded. If you're just going to run to the visitor center to do a viewing, I would probably skip it.

We thought about the dogs, but my son was still in his 'afraid of dogs' phase, so we skipped that. Can't comment on the gold excursion.

In 2022, in Juneau, we took the Disney excursion that stopped by the Salmon Fishery and then it went to the Mendenhall Glacier, to where we got to walk around on our own and afterwards were taken to a Salmon Bake.

While at Mendenhall Glacier, looking over the pictures and watching the video, you could see how much the glacier had pulled back, over the last 20 years. We were glad that we got to see the glacier and the area.

Psy

I mean, one could argue that the fact that the glacier is receding is a good reason to go see it now while you have the chance.

We were there last summer - we would have hiked to Nugget Falls, but we were all very cold and wet after being out on a whale-watching boat for ~2 hours, and it was a cold/rainy/misty day. My daughter (8) was over it and wanted to get back to the ship, but we enjoyed seeing the glacier from the photo point.

I would consider your party and the likelihood of getting tired if you over-book yourself. You might technically have the time for 3 excursions, but it might be a bit much in one day. If you're all go-go-go, lots of energy people, enjoy! If you have younger kids, I wouldn't over-extend yourselves.

We've gone to Mendenhall Glacier in 2014 and 2024. We hiked to Nugget Falls both times. In 2014 you could see the entire Glacier going into the lake from Nugget Falls. In 2024 from Nugget Falls you could see the top part of the Glacier but not the part that goes into the water. You could see that part from observation area though. I was surprised at how much it had shrunk in just 10 yrs. For our 2024 cruise we had booked the Mendenhall River rafting, but they canceled it on the ship because of low water levels. We ended up taking the blue bus to Mendenhall. If you do this, keep in mind it may time a lot of time to be able to get the bus back to the port area because of all the people doing the same. We waited over 30 mins. Our 2024 cruise was on NCL and they didn't cancel the excursion until 2 days before we arrived in Juneau. At that point all the other excursions were full. And all the private excursion groups at the port were also completely booked up. That's the only reason we went back to Mendenhall. It was nice to see, but I probably wouldn't do it in your circumstances. You'll see better glaciers on your Glacier day(we did Tracey Arm when we sailed DCL in 2014). The walk to Nugget Falls is a tail with trees on each side. It's nice, but not that spectacular either.

I'd skip the panning for gold. More hype than substance.

If you're going in August when the salmon hatchery is open, it's fascinating to watch the salmon jumping upstream to spawn. We stopped there on our way back from the Mendenhall Glacier.

The first time when my kids were younger we did a gold panning excursion which had a nice bus tour component. The second time we did a dog sled excursion (not on the glacier). Loved the dogs <3IMG_5608.JPG

I mean, one could argue that the fact that the glacier is receding is a good reason to go see it now while you have the chance.

We were there last summer - we would have hiked to Nugget Falls, but we were all very cold and wet after being out on a whale-watching boat for ~2 hours, and it was a cold/rainy/misty day. My daughter (8) was over it and wanted to get back to the ship, but we enjoyed seeing the glacier from the photo point.

I would consider your party and the likelihood of getting tired if you over-book yourself. You might technically have the time for 3 excursions, but it might be a bit much in one day. If you're all go-go-go, lots of energy people, enjoy! If you have younger kids, I wouldn't over-extend yourselves.
Did you book this excursion through Disney or an outside operator?
Thankyou.

Did you book this excursion through Disney or an outside operator?
Thankyou.
We booked through Juneau Whale Watch - overall if was a very good experience and would recommend it. It’s especially nice if you want the flexibility to spend more time at Mendenhall (when I was looking it seemed like all of the Disney excursions only scheduled 45 minutes there).

Mendenhall is our go-to activity for Juneau. Do we just go for nostalgia? I enjoy the walk to the waterfall, noticing the changes in the glacier and the easier access to the falls. Hearing the falling water may be as important (I appreciate a good waterfall). We have combined it with whale watches or just made it our one activity for the day.

I have never done a dog sled activity, but it looks fun.

Panning for gold looks cheesy, but it is Alaska. It just seems like it should be a Skagway activity - as that’s where the emphasis on the Yukon Trail is. I have done many touristy things, no shade from me.

I am not prone to do three excursions in one day - the pressure to be in time, assembly and herding of the participants, repeated stories of the area by guides and travel sounds tiring. Leftover time can be use to wander Main Street, take the aerial tram up Mt Roberts, grab some seafood at Tracy’s Crab Shack or Hangar in the Wharf. Or even visit the gardens.

We booked through Juneau Whale Watch - overall if was a very good experience and would recommend it. It’s especially nice if you want the flexibility to spend more time at Mendenhall (when I was looking it seemed like all of the Disney excursions only scheduled 45 minutes there).
Thankyou

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter