Jury Duty

Yes while now I work at a salaried position I once worked where I was a 1099ed independent contractor. If I didn't work I didn't get paid so if called I guess I could claim economic hardship.

I imagine it's extremely situational but being an IC didn't matter in my case.

I haven't been called for jury duty nor has my husband but I do know when I was at the insurance company while you wouldn't get paid it didn't count against you as far as time off. They would code your time as Jury Duty. I should probably ask my husband how they handle it at his company as he is salaried. It hadn't come up really in discussions. Only my mother-in-law years ago was called up for jury duty but everyone else I know hasn't been yet.

I haven't been called for jury duty nor has my husband but I do know when I was at the insurance company while you wouldn't get paid it didn't count against you as far as time off. They would code your time as Jury Duty. I should probably ask my husband how they handle it at his company as he is salaried. It hadn't come up really in discussions. Only my mother-in-law years ago was called up for jury duty but everyone else I know hasn't been yet.
My company pays your full salary while on Jury duty or testifying in a trial. You just have to refuse any payment from the court.

My company pays your full salary while on Jury duty or testifying in a trial. You just have to refuse any payment from the court.

Yeah in our county if your job pays you in full then the court doesn't even send you any money at all.

As soon as I turned 18, I got called. I had to go 5x in 7 years. I get disqualified every time because of having a criminal justice degree, extensive contacts within law enforcement, AND relatives who are/were police officers and/or hold public office, but I have to go and answer those questions, which disqualify me, so the day ends up not counting. It's a PITA.

I got called again recently, but I didn't have to go, as I'm a SAHM with a 2-year-old. Once he's in all-day school, I'll have to serve again.

The only thing that bugs me is that we have a superior court in the town where I live, but for whatever reason, town residents have to go into the big city, where the superior court is located in a really bad area. Yet residents of surrounding towns get to do their jury duty at our town court. I'd be more than happy to serve if I could stay here in town!

I got my first summons at 19 and ended up being picked for a murder trial that ended up being a week long. I get one every 3 years like clockwork but either have not had to go due to court being closed for bad weather or was there a half day and we were let go for no cases.

I've had it once. It was for 2 weeks. We went on the first day and they told us "don't worry, you won't have to come every day, just call the number each morning and see if you have to come in that day". I'll be darned if I didn't have to go in every single day. I actually sat on one trial that last 2 days - it was very interesting.

My duty was in the summer, but I am a teacher and if it had been during the school year, I would have been paid and the school would have gotten a sub for me.

You know don't be sad about serving if you need to. We really need reliable people to serve. I can't tell you how many people I have heard serve. Some jurors really cause an uproar in their. A case going now, the juror has been late everyday and has upset the other jurors. The judge finally told the juror they need to be on time or get fined. I hate to think when it comes down to when they go inside to decide.
And many other issues that are so sad. I can't tell you how appreciative it is when jurors do the right thing no matter how they decide.

You know don't be sad about serving if you need to. We really need reliable people to serve. I can't tell you how many people I have heard serve. Some jurors really cause an uproar in their. A case going now, the juror has been late everyday and has upset the other jurors. The judge finally told the juror they need to be on time or get fined. I hate to think when it comes down to when they go inside to decide.
And many other issues that are so sad. I can't tell you how appreciative it is when jurors do the right thing no matter how they decide.

I'm not sad about the act of serving.

I'm sad about the details of the case. And I'm sad that it's messing up my kids/husbands schedules as they accomodate me being gone, and I'm sad about the drastic pay cut I'm taking.

But actually doing my duty and taking it seriously - I'm ok with that part.

I'm not sad about the act of serving.

I'm sad about the details of the case. And I'm sad that it's messing up my kids/husbands schedules as they accomodate me being gone, and I'm sad about the drastic pay cut I'm taking.

But actually doing my duty and taking it seriously - I'm ok with that part.
I would love to serve, but I have only been called a few times. Now I am unable to do so as I can't sit. And most times cases don't last to long. Some cases can be difficult to hear. But I appreciate it if you do serve.

I would actually like to serve on a jury. I seem to get called about once a year, but I have never been placed on a jury. Every job I have had paid for the time, and none have asked for the check to be signed over to them.

On my longest one, I had to call in every day for a month. During the last week, I finally got a "come in tomorrow" message. It turned out they were seating a jury for a trial that would take several months. I went in almost every day for 2 weeks before the jury was actually selected. There was a lot of sitting around doing nothing.

On my latest one, just last week, I called on Monday and got a recording that all trials for the week had been settled. I was nervous about that one because the letter plainly stated that you couldn't bring purses or phones. I have necessary medical supplies, so I wasn't sure how that was going to work, and I didn't get the summons in time to call and ask (I had been on vacation and returned to find a notice for Monday). I guess I would have ended up making a run for a paper book (I normally read on my iPad) if I had needed to report that Monday.

I recently received my Juror Questionnaire, so I may be called again soon. I am happy to go serve; I just hope that it doesn't come at a bad time. I teach preschool until the end of May, and I'd hate to miss any of the last month (especially, since we're not sure the school is going to be open next year). I have a 30th anniversary long weekend trip planned at the end of May, we have a Disney World trip in August, and my daughter is getting married at the beginning of September.

I've been called twice before. The first was county grand jury. There were a few more jurors than the maximum allowed, so the judge started asking if anyone owned a business, was a caregiver for a young child, sick, or elderly, etc. No one had any reason to be excused. He finally asked about teachers, since it was the beginning of the school year and was more than happy to release a preschool teacher. The second time was federal court. I had to call in ever Thursday for 5 weeks to see if I needed to report the following week, and I was never needed.

I used to get called about every other month when we lived in the city. If you were a hourly employee at our company you got to decide if you wanted to get paid for the amount of hours you were out and give your jury check to the company or keep the jury check and not get your hourly pay. Salaried employees just had to use their comp. time if they had it. The worst part for me was you weren't allowed to have anything to read while they were doing the interview process. That meant you spent hours and hours while every person in the room had to stand up and give their name, address and occupation then get asked a few questions. There could be 30 or 40 people in the room. Since we have moved to the country and are in a different county I've been called once. We were allowed to have our kindles or books in the room with us so it wasn't so bad.

I receive the jury duty notice every 2yrs like clockwork. Have been selected randomly to be on a panel, have always been honest, but have NEVER been selected to be on a jury. I seem to get booted by the defense every time following the question about whether anyone in my immediate family is in law enforcement.

During the interview process with a judge they asked if anyone had any connection with law enforcement and I told them I was a retired officer. The judge said "Good, you'll be the assistant foreman then". It's hard to be excused nowadays.
Absolutely counter to my experience! So interesting!! I always get booted after this question, and my father was an officer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter