Just back 8/19 - 8/25......park observations/tips/thoughts

TJDisneymama

DIS Veteran
some things I wondered about before our trip that others may find helpful.

1) booked an 8:05 am BoG on an EMM day. DD10 and I shared Gaston's Feast - it was plenty of food for us, but I am on a diet so don't eat much. it would not be enough for big eaters. Done with our meal about 8:30, walked back and forth from Pooh to Peter Pan to see if they would let us get on before park opened at 9:00 but they would't. So we waited in the line for Peter Pan (short line, like 10 people) and they let us enter the queue right before 9:00, so still well before the rope drop crowd arrived. After we got off, went straight to pooh which had about a 5 minute wait. i was thrilled to get these 2 done early and without wasting a FP on them. I will always do the 8:00 BoG for future trips.

2) Also had BoG for dinner (it was my bday). They brought me a special plate of grey stuff shaped like mickey and a b-day card signed by Beast and Belle. :) Got the strip steak which I always get (although I swear when itifirst opened it was filet??) and wasn't as good as in the past. Very fatty. But still pretty good.

3) Heat - felt unbearable. But, as we survived and did not melt into a puddle, I guess it was bearable after all, lol. We left the parks around noon time, then went back around 4-5:00 to avoid the worst heat. We did a lot of ducking into shops for a minute while walking from one attraction to the next.

4) Soarin at Rope drop - arrived to Soarin about 9:05, it had a 10 minute wait posted which was pretty accurate. We got on Living w/ the Land around 9:30.

5) Pick a pearl in Japan - if you're going to do it, go pay and get your number right away. We dillie dallied around watching a bit before paying. Then we had like 1/2 hour wait for our # to come up. We each got our pearl into rings as we are not necklace wearing people. They were pretty reasonable - DDs was just a plain (silver? stainless steel? I dont' even know) band for about $30. Mine was a little nicer for $80 with a little (CZ?) on each side of the pearl.

6) LOTS Of photopass opportunities - DD and I ended with almost 400 shots in just 5 park days.

7) Rivers of Light - disappointing. we left halfway through. Esp. as we had just seen fantasmic the previous evening which is a million times better. I wouldn't waste time on this.

8) Flight of Passage - awesome. I think the preshow stuff is a little too long/unnecessary. If they cut it down to half the time, maybe there wouldnt be 200 minute waits...... I was concerned about motion sickness on this, and I did have to close my eyes a few times, mostly when you are flying fast and lots of stuff around you. Similar to the Mickeys Philharmagic film when Donald is flying on the magic carpet and he flies straight down and then through the town - I have to close my eyes on that too or I get a bit woozy.

9) Navi River Journey - cool, but somewhat lame. Definitely NOT worth a long wait. We went at the end of the night right before park close and it had 25 minute wait posted, but was really more like 5-10 minutes.

10) Pandora - we never got through the entire movie, just the first half, but the land at night is really cool. I'd definitely go back just at night.

11) Tusker House for dinner - didn't love the food selection. There wasn't much that I liked and I'm not that picky. A lot of exotic (Asian? African?) dishes. I know that's how it should be but usually these places have more Americanized versions of dishes. I wouldn't do dinner here again. I like to do character meals for the characters (and also we got the Rivers of Light passes with this one) but in the future I'll probably stick to breakfast here.

12) Fireworks dessert party @ MK - loved it. Good selection of desserts, and the reserved viewing section is perfect. Definitely worth it not to have to fight the crowd for a good spot. I don't know if the party was sold out or not but there was plenty of empty space in our section. I was expecting to be elbow-to-elbow with the other party goers but there was a LOT of space between us.

13) Buses - i really felt a difference with the bus wait times (mostly talking about from the resort to the parks). when I first started going regularly (6 years ago), we never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus. Each trip, i feel like the wait tiime for buses gets longer and longer. This time the norm was more like 20 minutes, sometimes even longer. I used Lyft a bunch of times when I just did not want to deal with waiting 20 minutes for a bus.

14) CRT - ate lunch here for DDs bday. They brought her a special cupcake with a candle and the waitress (and me) sang Happy Birthday.

15) Hollywood & Vine dinner - we've done this a few times since they went to the seasonal format and really like it. Much better selection of food that we like here. I will continue to do this one.

16) Rose and Crown for dinner - first time eating here. Got the burger. It was really good. And we had awesome outdoor seating. would have been perfect for viewing Illuminations (if it wasn't 5:00 pm, lol).

17) DD10 REALLY enjoyed the passport book around the World Showcase. She'd never done it before.

Thats all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else, I will add later. Any questions, let me know.

Wow....you echo some of our sentiments from our trip Aug 13-19. Your points are well taken.

1. The heat was melting at times. We always go during August so we know what we're getting into. Being a teacher, this is the perfect time for me. However, there were some days when the sun was just leaning on you. We snuck into shops or cut-through just to take a 5-10 second respite from the heat.

2. Rivers of Light was nice but as I mentioned in another post; nothing we'd do/watch again. I really wanted it to be good because the amphitheater itself is beautiful and themed unbelievably, but the show itself left alot to be desired.

3. FoP was probably the best ride I've ever been on. I suffer from motion sickness and I also closed my eyes a few times - but the ride is awesome. Feeling the Banshee breathe was an unreal attention to detail....what else would you expect with Disney. But you are 10000% right. If the pre-ride jargon were shorter, they wouldn't have the crazy wait times they're currently having. I thought it took way too long to get on the ride. I don't see what they could do but hopefully they figure something out. The River Journey was sort of boring...it was nice for the first time but believe it or not, I'd rather do Living with The Land at EPCOT.

4. Pandora itself is beautiful and we visited several times during the day and evening to get the full effect. Then when I got back home, I read some articles about little things here and there that you have to look carefully to see etc. Guess I have to go back!

5. Now the buses. In 18 years going almost every year, this year was the one that we waited the most for buses. I used my rental car more than ever because it was just easier and more reliable. Being a Disney lover like I am, I understand that sometimes the buses might run a bit behind from time to time. This year though, that was the norm. There's a ton of construction going on, closed roads at certain times of the day, and alot of people visiting so I get it. But if I didn't rent a car and relied solely on Disney transportation, specifically the buses, we would've wasted alot of time waiting for buses.

Hope you had a great time!

Sounds like a fun trip. Can't wait for ours in January!

I could be wrong, but isn't the FoP preshow stuff done while others are on the ride? So, not really extending the wait time. It's just informing people on what's going to happen and giving you something to watch while the people ahead of you ride and disembark.

I could be wrong, but isn't the FoP preshow stuff done while others are on the ride? So, not really extending the wait time. It's just informing people on what's going to happen and giving you something to watch while the people ahead of you ride and disembark.

oh, yeah, you're probably right. I wish they would have scrapped one of the preshow rooms and just added another theater, lol.

Oh, something else I noticed repeatedly this trip as there was only 2 of us! (normally it's a whole family trip). At most amusement parks they fill each car with bench seats to capacity. At WDW, we ALWAYS had an entire row to ourselves. Every single ride that had rows that seated 4-5-6....and it was always just the 2 of us - pirates, small world, frozen, figment, Navi River, etc. etc.. Each time I couldn't help thinking how much wait times would be cut down if they would just fill the cars completely. Not that wait times were even long during our trip, but just in general. I wonder why they don't. In every show they pack you in and make you scoot down so you're all sitting on top of each other, but the rides - they are sending some out only half filled.

It looks like you planned everything perfectly. We were there about the same time and we too felt the same way about the buses. We always waited at least 20 minutes and sometimes more. We started driving a lot of the time and taking the new MinnieVan service to and from MK - it was wonderful. We stopped taking the buses after 4 times. We wanted to do the Fireworks dessert party but they were sold out on the days we could do it. Glad you enjoyed it.

We were there 8/11-20 and had the same bus wait times. I thought it was just our luck. 20-25 minute waits were the norm. It was especially frustrating in the morning, when the whole group had gotten up and presented to the bus stop plenty early... only to be packed onto a smashed-full bus and end up halfway back at turnstile lines. (The worst was when we arrived at 6:30 for an 8AM EMH at AK and the bus didn't arrive until after 7. Several other times were almost - but not quite - as bad.)

We pay for transportation as part of our room cost... if I have to start renting a car, it definitely tips the balance in favor of staying offsite. I go again soon and am hopeful it was an anomaly and not the new norm.

We were there 8/11-20 and had the same bus wait times. I thought it was just our luck. 20-25 minute waits were the norm. It was especially frustrating in the morning, when the whole group had gotten up and presented to the bus stop plenty early... only to be packed onto a smashed-full bus and end up halfway back at turnstile lines. (The worst was when we arrived at 6:30 for an 8AM EMH at AK and the bus didn't arrive until after 7. Several other times were almost - but not quite - as bad.)

We pay for transportation as part of our room cost... if I have to start renting a car, it definitely tips the balance in favor of staying offsite. I go again soon and am hopeful it was an anomaly and not the new norm.

ITA, it's really annoying to pay the prices that we pay and have to wait. We are always at the bus stop PLENTY early (at least 60-75 min. in advance of when I want to arrive at the park entrance). In the past that would mean we were always 30-40 minutes early when we arrived....this time, we barely made it to the parks at our expected arrival time.

We had an 8:30 am ressie at 1900 Park Fare. got to the bus stop at 7:15. We arrived at Park Fare a couple minutes after 8:30. That is ridiculous! BUT, another day we had a 12:00 reservation for BBB at MK. Decided to play it safe and got a Lyft at 10:15. Lyft/Uber has to drop off at TTC for MK (vs. where the buses are) and the monorail was down!!!! So everyone had to take the ferry and there were SO MANY PEOPLE waiting for the ferry. So that took forever as well, but I was wishing I had gone with the buses that day. We ended up making it to BBB about 11:30, so we did make it in time, but leaving our resort at 10:15 via Lyft, I expected to be in MK walking down Main Street by 11:00.

I noticed the same thing with buses when I was there on Aug 17-18. Comparing it to bus waits from previous trips, the buses were much less frequent this time around. The downside is that I'm pretty sure Disney has always advertised buses "every 20 minutes," so they're still technically living up to their end of the bargain... But with Uber and Lyft now, they do really need to step up their bussing game if they want transportation to be one of the reasons for people to stay onsite (which is a deciding factor for our family).

Unless theaters are empty while the preshow is going on, shortening it will not do anything to the waits. Ride preshows are usually timed with the ride time so that guests are loading right after the previous gets leaves.

The downside is that I'm pretty sure Disney has always advertised buses "every 20 minutes," so they're still technically living up to their end of the bargain...

Yep. The coordinator I mentioned our wait time woes to said "every 15-20 minutes." I told her I understood, but we were over 25 minutes and the bus time just kept getting moved back...

Like you, transportation has always been a deciding factor for us. Hopefully it's better on my next stay.

I had the opposite experience with photographers, 8/15-8/23. There were very little photographers out, like at times they didnt even have any out in front of the SE ball on either side. They had two in front of the castle along Main st. like the whole street and hub, 2! We came away with 1/4 of media of our trip 2 years ago. I wonder if enough people said something and bumped up the numbers this past week. Last trip we had almost 350 pics, this trip 67. Oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter