Just back from a week in Anaheim

Because you did it wrong
Stay at a premium hotel and get it for “free”
We also get an annual pass for one guest and get an AP discount on the hotel also

Works out so much cheaper - paying out of pocket is not the way to go for EP at Orlando Universal
Exactly! Their premium hotels aren't even that pricy and you get the perk! I will be doing that when I go for a Universal Orlando trip. I've visited Universal Orlando several times but never for a whole "trip", but I definitely want to. I also really had no issue with the ride lines there even though I didn't have the front of line thing.

The problem is express pass is soooo expensive.

Also I have never been to Disneyland. Going next summer. But didn’t the max pass cost money as well? Wasn’t it kinda like genie plus. I just remember everyone always said they loved it and wanted it in WDW saying better system than FP was.
There wasn't a limit of one time per day for the rides you wanted. Also it was cheaper.

MP was great, just like FP but yes you paid for it, but also got photo pass included and no limits on rides.

We could do rides multiple times a day with it if we wanted, it was so flexible.
G+ is just garbage

The problem is express pass is soooo expensive.

Also I have never been to Disneyland. Going next summer. But didn’t the max pass cost money as well? Wasn’t it kinda like genie plus. I just remember everyone always said they loved it and wanted it in WDW saying better system than FP was.
DL's fast pass system was better than WDW's. Max pass was better x 1000. I always hated WDW's stupid Fastpass+. I'm sure I would prefer their current system to the old one. It was grossly unfair to paying park guests that didn't happen to want to stay on site. I have said before, I have ZERO issues with them giving perks to onsite guests such as their extra hours, etc, but during normal operating hours, all paying guests should have equal chance. I paid just as much to Disney for my park admission as the on site guest did, and I deserve the same shot at fastpasses.

Thanks for the report. I've always wanted to try the Plaza Inn breakfast- I'm glad you had a good time with that. What characters did you see?

I agreee about Genie+, I really wish they'd kept FP and MP.

Thanks for the report. I've always wanted to try the Plaza Inn breakfast- I'm glad you had a good time with that. What characters did you see?

I agreee about Genie+, I really wish they'd kept FP and MP.
It was a highlight of the trip - one of few sadly. But we really enjoyed it.
We saw Minnie at the entrance - those photos are included in your breakfast so you get them for free on the app.
Inside circulating were Pluto, Goofy, Chip, Dale, Daisy, Pooh and Tigger.

Each one took quite some time with us, enough for photos of everyone, autographs and also a little cheeky giggle or joke.

One thing that was a little disappointing was that Pooh dropped my Daughters Pen and it smashed - he shrugged a sorry but that was that. We had only just purchased it for $13 at the gift shop. We had to return after the Breakfast to the gift shop and ask for a replacement - they honestly acted like we were lying. None the less we got the replacement and were on our way.

We just returned back to Autralia after a week in Anaheim.

I'm just going to make a few points in this post for anyone who may be interested - especially from the point of view of a foreign visitor.

The Aussie Dollar is weak right now, so things cost us A LOT of money, we are only getting 60c to the US $1 so our food ect added up really quickly and we just felt like the costs were so high compared to previous years.
The food portions at Disney seem to have gotten smaller with the prices going up - this is to be expected but was really hurting our hip pocket.
We normally get a kids meal and split it between the kids - I found I couldn't do this anymore.

We stayed at the Americas Best Value Inn on Katella and it was fine, the walls are thin but we were so tired that we slept all night anyway, it was a nice 10min walk to the parks and I would stay there again.

While at Disneyland we did the following "upgrades"
Fantasmic Standard Dining Package at River Belle Terrace - the food was horrendous. It just wasn't good at all. I also heard the people seated next to us send the food back - the chicken was so dry my 4yo spat it right out, the people next to us sent the chicken back also and got something else. I can not recommend this restaurant at all - the tickets for Fantasmic were worth the cost though.
World of Color Dessert Party - this was great, we really enjoyed it. It was expensive but the seating was great and the food was good and plentiful.

We also did two character meals - Plaza Inn with Minnie which we all loved and the Princess Breakfast which we all did not - I wrote a review of that one already explaining why - I do not recommend this character meal at all.

We DID NOT purchase Genie+, we simply couldn't afford it. I will say we weren't coming to go on the biggest rides all week long but I did manage to get a few in by getting to the parks for rope drop.
Thank goodness for Rope Drop or we would have got nothing done, wait times were bad, I've never experienced wait times like this before, but I have also never been at this time of year before, so that could be a reason - people coming for the Christmas Decorations which is why I was there also. It was impossible to do any rides after lunchtime, so we just focused on shows or character meets after that. Which was a shame, but I wasn't waiting in hour long lines with two kids (4 and 6) the 4yo is quite "naughty" so was really disruptive waiting in lines and I didn't want to subject everyone in line to her behaviour.

We ended up purchasing the Lightning Lane for Radiator Springs Racers on our last day (this past Sunday) because we really wanted to ride it - AU $100 for one ride is just so extreme but it was the only way it was getting done, at rope drop the time was 95mins and it only went up from there on both days we visited. With LL we were on the ride in 10mins.

Ride breakdowns were a HUGE problem, it made the lines so much longer, I noticed at one point in DCA that there were 5 rides broken down at the same time - this just isn't good enough.

Overall we had a good time, was it a GREAT time? NO, it was the most disappointing trip we have ever taken, but things have changed and I guess we have nothing to do but roll with it.
I hate Genie+ and am so sad that it is here to stay - I do hope they can tweak it to be more like a Universal Pass in Orlando where it is either unlimited OR you can get on a ride whenever you want - not by booking it. If that was the case I "may" have purchased it, but as it stands now, there was no way I was paying $25+ per person to "maybe" ride a handful or rides once - I need more of a guarantee to shell out that kind of money.
We also came back a few days ago after a week long stay. Disneyland is already so expensive. That had to be extra painful dealing with that horrendous exchange rate. We did the Fantasmic premium dining package. The food is ok but the ability to watch from a prime location while eating your dinner is worth it IMO. I can never pay that much for WoC dessert party though. I guess I'm just not a dessert guy. We watched the 10:30 WoC on a tuesday night and the crowd was non existent. We were able to watch standing behind the dessert party tables with no one around us. We also purchased Genie+ for Disneyland for one day. It cost $30 per person that day and totally wasn't worth it IMO. Don't get me wrong. We saved some time compared to posted wait times but TBH, I'm not sure how accurate those wait times are on MDE. My family of 4 was able to ride most of the rides either during early entry or late evening. ROTR was posted at 150 minutes but we waited 70. That was our longest wait. RSR was posted at 95 but we waited 50. The key to any of the e-ticket rides I found is to ride it after 8pm as the crowd reduces dramatically, either because they leave the park or they're watching night-time shows. Speaking of ride break downs, I noticed that RSR and ROTR were broken EVERY morning at rope drop. I think they do that on purpose to spike up demand for ILL and Genie+. Overall, we had a great time as it was our first time seeing all the Holiday decor but you ain't lying about the pain in our hip pocket. Add airfare to the mix and that hip pain becomes a full on heart attack as we come from Hawaii. We were lucky this time around since we bought our plane tickets almost a year ago but looking at next year, those airline ticket prices are no joke. I stayed at the Grand because we are DVC but I don't know how people pay these kinds of prices paying rack rate to stay in the bubble. It's insane.

MP was great, just like FP but yes you paid for it, but also got photo pass included and no limits on rides.

We could do rides multiple times a day with it if we wanted, it was so flexible.
G+ is just garbage
Genie + includes photopass at DL (not at WDW).

We also came back a few days ago after a week long stay. Disneyland is already so expensive. That had to be extra painful dealing with that horrendous exchange rate. We did the Fantasmic premium dining package. The food is ok but the ability to watch from a prime location while eating your dinner is worth it IMO. I can never pay that much for WoC dessert party though. I guess I'm just not a dessert guy. We watched the 10:30 WoC on a tuesday night and the crowd was non existent. We were able to watch standing behind the dessert party tables with no one around us. We also purchased Genie+ for Disneyland for one day. It cost $30 per person that day and totally wasn't worth it IMO. Don't get me wrong. We saved some time compared to posted wait times but TBH, I'm not sure how accurate those wait times are on MDE. My family of 4 was able to ride most of the rides either during early entry or late evening. ROTR was posted at 150 minutes but we waited 70. That was our longest wait. RSR was posted at 95 but we waited 50. The key to any of the e-ticket rides I found is to ride it after 8pm as the crowd reduces dramatically, either because they leave the park or they're watching night-time shows. Speaking of ride break downs, I noticed that RSR and ROTR were broken EVERY morning at rope drop. I think they do that on purpose to spike up demand for ILL and Genie+. Overall, we had a great time as it was our first time seeing all the Holiday decor but you ain't lying about the pain in our hip pocket. Add airfare to the mix and that hip pain becomes a full on heart attack as we come from Hawaii. We were lucky this time around since we bought our plane tickets almost a year ago but looking at next year, those airline ticket prices are no joke. I stayed at the Grand because we are DVC but I don't know how people pay these kinds of prices paying rack rate to stay in the bubble. It's insane.
I swear some of the posted times on the app are just wrong to increase sales of G+ but also having said that they were also incorrect for the wrong reasons, time and time again the posted time would be 15 mins and we waited over 45. Usually because of a breakdown or because everyone saw it low and took off to it and they hadn't updated it yet.

We couldn't wait until 10:30pm for the WoC due to the kids being so small, we left right after the first show and went to bed. The three days before we stayed in DL until after 11pm and we were just worn out.
5 days doing rope drop until almost close did us in.
You just feel like you HAVE to stay to get your moneys worth these days - we never really felt like that before.

I swear some of the posted times on the app are just wrong to increase sales of G+ but also having said that they were also incorrect for the wrong reasons, time and time again the posted time would be 15 mins and we waited over 45. Usually because of a breakdown or because everyone saw it low and took off to it and they hadn't updated it yet.

We couldn't wait until 10:30pm for the WoC due to the kids being so small, we left right after the first show and went to bed. The three days before we stayed in DL until after 11pm and we were just worn out.
5 days doing rope drop until almost close did us in.
You just feel like you HAVE to stay to get your moneys worth these days - we never really felt like that before.
I know what u mean by feeling like you haveto stay all day to get your moneys worth. I never felt that way when we had annual passes. We didn’t renew so we had 6 days of tickets. But we still stayed away from the parks between 12-6pm. It just wasn’t worth it to stay in the parks during that time. I’m taking a year off from Disneyland. Hopefully it will get better?

I'm so sorry. I've posted plenty of times about how I don't think it's worth the money anymore and how impossible hour long waits are with kids and how we're probably done with DLR for the foreseeable future, but it makes me absolutely sick that people are traveling across the freaking world, paying essentially double due to exchange, and having the same experience that we do. I'm so, so sorry. I have 4 kids and my toughest is a 6 year old - we actually ended up getting him a DAS, because lines more than 20-30 minutes were absolutely out of the question. It's so frustrating and SAD that rides are basically out of reach for some kiddos because of extended wait times - unless, of course, you're willing to pay ILL$$ which for us would be $120-150 USD for one ride.

I think your OP is well worded and you do an excellent job of pointing out the good parts of your trips, as well as indicating what didn't go well and might keep you from returning. I would suggest sending that to guest services. They'll never know if we don't keep telling them!

Because you did it wrong
Stay at a premium hotel and get it for “free”
We also get an annual pass for one guest and get an AP discount on the hotel also

Works out so much cheaper - paying out of pocket is not the way to go for EP at Orlando Universal
Yeah I learned my lesson after we left. I’m a dvc member. Said next time will book a deluxe room at universal even if we don’t stay there. If as the person above said only 300 a night. Which seems cheap for deluxe. But that would save 1200 on express pass.

Trick: search universal annual pass holder rates-you cont have to be an AP when you book them. That’s how I got a $300 rate at hard rock. First time, we never had to show an AP. Second time, I upgraded us to seasonal APs-15 months for only $30 more than our three day tickets-but would’ve only needed one to get the rate.

Yep we always search the AP rates - always had to show my AP before leaving though to get the rate.
I change regularly to which hotel to get the best deal because they add and take away AP rates all the time. So just keep looking.

Also just get the 1 AP and then you can use the AP discount on tickets for everyone else in your party, along with food and merch discounts too.
Even $300 is a lot, I've paid under that before during September visits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter