Just Back from Peru - WOW!

kjd469

Addicted to WDW
We just returned from the Sacred Valleys and Incan Cities tour in Peru. If you have booked this trip, you have sooo much to look forward to!! If you are thinking about booking this trip, don't hesitate - you won't be disappointed. Everything was beyond what we expected, and the little Disney touches made it all that much better!

If anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to help...I know from personal experience that it's hard to find much info. on this trip. (Thanks Kristilew and others for what help we did get :)

Now...where do we go next???? Thinking Southwest Splendours or Costa Rica....what do you think??:confused3

We got home last night and we were already looking at the trips for next year. We too had a blast. Probably the best vacation (adventure) we have ever taken. It will be hard to go on another without frist looking at ABD. The group dynamic and the guides were the best part of these trips. Trust us, you will not be sorry booking these trips. Peru was amazing. The food was great and the guides were second to none.

Thanks to our guides and the whole group. Without you guys this trip would not have been the same. We miss you guys (and gals) already.

Wes

Welcome back! This tour is definitely high on my list of "must do's".

Who were your guides?

Pictures?

Sayhello

This is great! We were on Southwest Splendors in July and have booked Peru for this coming August. Questions: how was the altitude adjustment and what, if anything, did you do to help that along? Also, when did you arrive in Lima, and was the airport/customs incredibly chaotic or did pick-up go smoothly? I'm sure there will be more, but those were the two things I've been thinking about. Thanks!

sayhello - our guides were Ale from Cusco, and Aimee from Jackson, Wyoming...both were full of energy, with a great sense of humor and a lot of fun. I know that Ale will definitely be returning for the Peru trips next year, but I believe Aimee is going to be trying some of the other itineraries.

cindy18- we arrived in Lima one night early, and I highly suggest doing that...about half of our group did this, and the other half didn't arrive until the following night, and they were "dragging their butts" on the day we had to travel to Cusco..very early in the morning. The airport, while extremely busy, even at 12a.m., was fine. A long line for customs, took us about 20 min. to go through, and then we exited. There was a large crowd, holding signs, etc. and we easily spotted a man on the left holding an Adventures by Disney sign...turns out there was also a man on the right side holding a larger sign with our names on it...we couldn't have missed, whether we went to the left or right of the crowd. We were then put into a waiting Mercedes Benz, with Roberto as our driver, who was extremely pleasant and informative the whole way to the hotel. It was a very smooth process.

Regarding the altitude...various members of our group, at one time or another, felt the altitude in different ways. For some it was a headache, others felt tired or short of breath. The guides are constantly pushing water (4 bottles a day - which they provide) on you, as that is said to be the best prevention of altitude sickness. There is no way to determine who will be affected or how...it is not a measure of fitness, age, etc., just very random. The guides have oxygen available to you at all times, and sometimes just a 5 minute session will make you feel so much better...only once, after a big climb, did I feel like I couldn't breath, but after the oxygen treatment, felt fine. The bigger problem, in our group, seemed to be intestinal issues...on any given day there seemed to be 1 or 2 people who did not join us, as they didn't want to stray to far from the bathroom! One man was extremely ill, and was laid up for 3 days (including our Macchu Pichu day:sick: ) and had to be seen by a doctor. My husband and I experienced no such issues, so again, not really sure why it hit some and not others, as we mostly all ate the same food.

kjd469 - I'm so glad you had a good time! We also had Ale and Aimee as our guides this June. Aren't they amazing?! I wish we were back in Peru!

Thanks for responding so quickly kjd469! We had been planning to arrive in Lima very early in the morning of the first day to spend the day resting and relaxing, but we're flying down from NY on frequent flier miles (big savings there, four tickets for free) and so were at the mercy of American Airlines, so we're arriving at 9:30 pm the first day. I know we'll be tired the next day, but it seemed worth it to fly on miles, and we've built in lots of cushion for flight delays. The information on altitude issues was very helpful. We got good at drinking lots of water during the Southwest Splendors trip, so we can definitely handle those instructions. It sounds like the availability of oxygen is the key thing. Is it true that you can get oxygen for your hotel rooms too? On the intestinal issues, I guess the only thing there is to come prepared with whatever medicine might work best!

We didn't find the oxygen available in the rooms. We were told that if you needed it in the night, they would bring it to your room for you. I don't know of any of our group that did this.

As far as the intestinal issues, we were told not to go overboard on the meals. One night we had a lot of different things to try and my wife and I just kept it to a minimum. We didn't have to many problems with this. My recomendation is to try the different foods in moderation. The man that got real sick was the real exception. The only thing that they could figure was he was getting ice for all of his drinks and probably got some ice made with local water. In Peru, the drinks are all served at room temp.

Don't let any of these things stop you from taking this trip. This trip is very physical but worth every bit of effort and expense. Anything you have seen in the pics of this trip do not do it justice. It is an amazing place and you must see it for yourself. And with ABD, you get that extra special treatment you come to expect with Disney.

(P.S. Hey there Kristin and Andrew. Wish we were still there with ya)

Wes

Hey Wes...nice to "see" you again LOL. I can't stop thinking - This time last week, we were....... It really was a special trip wasn't it? Anyhow, enjoy your time off this week.:cool2:

To everyone else, like Slacker says...don't let intestinal issues or altitude sickness scare you off of taking this trip...it is so worth it!! And also like Slacker says, photos do not do it justice...it is one of those things you just have to experience to know how fantastic it was.

Cindy, We asked for and received an oxygen machine for our room in Cusco (at Casa Andina). It looked like a humidifier and made lovely white noise all night. There was no charge. I think it really made a difference. This was not the same as the oxygen they administered on the bus, which was a little medical kit with a mask. We just asked for it the first night, on our way in from dinner. It was delivered in about 10 minutes, and they left the machine there for the rest of the time we had the room.

We also started hydrating several days before the trip started. The key thing is to increase your blood volume so you can move more oxygen through your system.

You will have a great time!

Don't get me wrong: we're not going to let any of the concerns stand in the way of our going on this trip! Southwest Splendors was so terrific that we cannot wait for another ABD tour. But it's good to know what to expect so that we can be prepared. We've never been anywhere near this part of the world before or anyplace with this kind of altitude. It sounds like having an oxygen machine in your room at night would help a lot, so it's good to know that the hotels have them. Also, the idea that ice cubes/local water could have caused intestinal issues makes a lot of sense to me. Good thing to watch out for. Can't believe we have to wait until next August to go!

Did you arrange the early arrival through ABD???? We are booked for Sept 22 2009. Was not sure weither to book the early arrival by ourselves or do it via ABD.

Yes, we booked the early night through ABD. That way we could still take advantage of the airport pickup. I believe it was $90 per person (180 total) for the extra night. We then had all of the next day to rest up, and explore Lima, which was surprisingly nice. Day 2, you have to have your luggage outside of your door by 6a.m., and leave for Cusco at 7a.m, so if you don't arrive until late the night before it can make for a really tired day.

Thanks for the info, I did call ABD and the rate is $333 for us, I then checked the hotel rates and the cost is spot on, we wil definately do this.

Not worried about Altitude, living at 6600 helps, playing hard at Alt also helps.

Wonder if I know Amiee as we lived in Jackson fro 28 years.

As stated hydration is a big to aclimatization to Alt, some swear by asprin, I also believe rolaids help. making the body more basic. Some trick learned from several climbs to Alt's. Yet every one is different, one must listen to ones body.

Also how was your weather as we are traveling about teh same time next year. Layers for sure.

Thanks soooo much for the info, I am sure we will have tons o ???'s as the excitement builds.

Our weather was surprisingly good...except the day we went to Machu Pichu, when it was cold, rainy and foggy:sad2: It was cool in the mornings, but then mid morning it would warm up, especially in the sun, and you could remove jackets, sweaters, etc. My husband wore shorts on most of the days, but then in the evening you would definitely need long pants and a sweater or jacket. I honestly expected colder weather and was pleasantly surprised at how warm it was...we got sunburned on several of the days.

Good to hear, weather is a crap shoot, cause ya never know ,just like being prepared. For sure I would imagine that sunscreen would be on the packing list , less atmosphere at altitude for the sun ‘s rays to UV to be blocked. Gotta have it as I have two skin color tones, Irish white or sunburned red.

Sounds like a day pack would be handy to cary your shed layers, water etc.... I would also think binoculars would be handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter