Just Back from Peru - WOW!

That review really caught the spirit of the trip. If you want even more (but a lot of family pictures, I must warn you), here is a link to our report as well:
http://lewisfamilyperuadventure.shutterfly.com/

Scott - it is really easy to leave your extra layers on the bus. So a bag or day pack to corral them is good, but you won't really have to carry a lot at all. We even brought a second pair of shoes each on the rafting day, and changed after lunch.

And yes, aspirin was the key for us, specifically in the form of Goody's powder, which also has caffiene to get your blood pumping faster. We just dumped a powder into our first water bottle of the day, and then one in the afternoon and were fine. (Of course, no aspirin for kids!)

Thanks for the links, wil get to them later we are at WDW having too much fun.

Chrcked one out and the accomadations look great,

Also a level of fitness helps with the ALT.

Just be careful reading too much in the way of a review of the whole trip...I am guilty of doing this, and I find it does take away some of the surprise element. My husband on the other hand, usually knows nothing about the trip until he "shows up" and is always pleasantly surprised. I am an "overplanner", but with Disney, I just trust that everything will be great!

Good point surprises are the fun part of Disney.

I was on the Peru, adults only, trip earlier this month with Earnesto and Chris and have to chime in that our trip was fablous and greatly missed!

Gorgeous scenery as expected but the "people experience" was amazing. Our guides were both professional and enthusastic about their job and culture, the hotel staff and people we met along the way were very friendly. It was even better than Disneyworld where everybody you meet smile and say hi! Granted, there were a few hairy eyeballs from old grannies on village roads but the children also came out to say "hola!" to us and wave as well. Bargining in the market was very mellow too, I hate haggling and have gone with family in China (and Chinatowns in the US) where, while it's still a game, it's kinda shouty with put out sighs.

I don't have a trip report up but there's tons and tons of landscape piccys in my album. I will eventually blog about it and leave a link tho, because ..it really was THAT GOOD!

Hi Everybody - after looking for an hour I finally spied a small post about ABD and Peru - clicked on it and found this. I am seriously thinking about booking this was was getting scared as I am not the youngest spring chicken and the best of shape. So, first, I'm almost positive I will be booking for August of 2009. Any suggestions on what I can expect? What I should pack? How much weight to lose?

I have not done any ABD and have no clue what to expect. I know that in the past I have been hit a bit with altitude problems - OK - I'm :blush: here but in Colorado, DH took me to Seven Falls and I climb their steps and the mountain trail only to get a mean headache. I wasn't even sure at the time what I had but reading this boards makes me realize how close to passing out I came. Anyway, stupid question, but here goes:

1. Would you all do it again

2. Would you take family (Machu Picchu has been my dream, should I waste the points or just go DH and I?)

3. Do you wish you'd of booked a couple extra nights before and after?

4. I was debating on coming in early so that part has been decided for me by reading this board.

Now, has anyone that has done an ABD and also did a Med trip by DCL last year. How different from that experience would ABD Peru be? We did 3-4 longs day in a row followed by one sea day (we took an 11-day cruise) followed by another 2 or 3 ports. I thought it was hard but I was exhausted but pleasantly so at the end of each day. I did not get much of a headache but I did down a lot of water.

Oh yeah -

5. Would you recommend bringing water pills for putting in your water? Do I really need to worry about that? I have traveled extensively in Mexico and have never had a problem but this is further South so can't help but wonder.

I'm sorry for asking so many questions but I'm anxious to book and have to have any answers for questions DH might have.

Thanks for any help to my questions.

Now, I hope I can find this section again.

Oh I forgot to ask - exactly how extensive is this tour?

Again - thanks for bearing with this newbie.

eeyorelvr10 - There was a couple on our trip celebrating the wife's 70th bday and they did fine. She chose not to do the rafting, but that I think was a water sport issue and not an age issue. She did buy a walking stick the second day and used it thereafter.

No need for water pills. ABD supplies you with bottled water the whole time.

I would go again tomorrow. And the next day. And the next.

We did it as a family and it was great. As for points, there have been other posts on the ABD boards that advocate renting your points and using the cash to pay for the ABD. Apparently a better value.

We had dinner last night with people who had been to Peru a few years ago. They said they struggled with altitude sickness until they switched from water to Gatorade. They said the electrolytes and the salt in Gatorade did wonders for them, almost immediately, and that they think they actually drank too much water and it ran through their systems so quickly that it was making them dehydrated (sounds backwards, but there it is). Anyone else tried Gatorade or thought about that as an approach?

Ok Kids another ?. How much in local currency would you recommend for this trip.

Thanks

We got our Air Booked and will arive a day early.

Bring some U.S. $ for tipping the Adventure Guides, but as for the Soles, which is the peruvian currency, we just used the international ATM's which are pretty much everywhere...with the exception of the time you are in the Sacred Valley, when they are a little more limited. We would take out about 400 soles at a time (equal to about 133 U.S.), so that we didn't end up with too much left over at the end...if that happens, there are lots of nice stores in the airport, or money exchange is also available at the airport. All of the reputable stores also took credit cards, which we used to by a tapestry and for hotel charges. The hotels will also exchange U.S.$ for soles, but you will get a better exchange rate if you use the ATM.

Bring some U.S. $ for tipping the Adventure Guides, but as for the Soles, which is the peruvian currency, we just used the international ATM's which are pretty much everywhere...with the exception of the time you are in the Sacred Valley, when they are a little more limited. We would take out about 400 soles at a time (equal to about 133 U.S.), so that we didn't end up with too much left over at the end...if that happens, there are lots of nice stores in the airport, or money exchange is also available at the airport. All of the reputable stores also took credit cards, which we used to by a tapestry and for hotel charges. The hotels will also exchange U.S.$ for soles, but you will get a better exchange rate if you use the ATM.

Sounds like a plan - I too just booked a pre-night for the 8/4 ABD. No post cruise available but that probably better that they don't offer it. How strict were the airlines? Did you get lots of souvenirs or lots of opportunity?

Surprisingly we did get lots of souvenirs...I tend to not buy too much when I go to places, because sometimes when you get it home, it kinda looks out of place. That being said, there are so many beautiful, quality things to purchase in Peru that we did end up buying quite a bit. The alpaca scarves are just gorgeous, and we bought many for gifts. Also, there are some beautiful tapestries, of varying qualities of course, which we did purchase as our main item. Don't worry....there are plenty of opportunities to part with your money :thumbsup2

Surprisingly we did get lots of souvenirs...I tend to not buy too much when I go to places, because sometimes when you get it home, it kinda looks out of place. That being said, there are so many beautiful, quality things to purchase in Peru that we did end up buying quite a bit. The alpaca scarves are just gorgeous, and we bought many for gifts. Also, there are some beautiful tapestries, of varying qualities of course, which we did purchase as our main item. Don't worry....there are plenty of opportunities to part with your money :thumbsup2

Speaking of the scarves - are they itchy? I haven't been able to buy one in person - plenty online but I'm wondering if I will have an itchy problem. Most wools I can't wear but not sure if cashimere is one but I don't have a problem with that one.

Nope...not itchy. Of course there are many different types, but you will definitely find a nice, soft one that won't itch you!

Thanks Much, :thumbsup2

Sounds exactly like what we do most of the time, I have also gotten local currency via American Express or AAA, that way ya have some local $$$ when ya hit the ground.

I tend to not buy too much when I go to places, because sometimes when you get it home, it kinda looks out of place.

That is exactly why we build the Adventures Club in our basement, like hte AC at Pleasure Isl, everything fits in. Soft light stuff is best.

How strict were the airlines? Did you get lots of souvenirs or lots of opportunity?
Ya never know, check with your carrier and stay within the limits and you will not be surprised with an over weight bag fee, perswonally I think they are tightening up on this kind of thing.

I have a question for anyone who's done this one? Did you all go non-stop or with a stop? If you did a stop and had to switch planes, did you have enough time to catch the plane? DH is looking at a flight from LAX to El Savador with a 1 hr 10 minutes layover and plane change on the way down and a 55 minute layover also with a plane change on the way back. Not sure if the time is enough for us to switch if the airport is as big as the International airports in the US.

Given the choice, would you have gone non-stop and gotten there at an ungodly hour or at a decent hour with a stop?

Thanks for any help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter