Just Back from VGF

DVC92

DIS Veteran
Just returned from 7 nights at VGF. As someone who will not purchase Genie+, I was surprised at the lack of wait times in all parks except MK. Even at MK, the waits were not what they have been, although they were longer than I would wait in standby for some of the rides. Either the crowds were way down, or visitors weren't willing to spend the money to visit the other parks. As a visitor for 15-30 days a year since 1992, I have never walked on rides in the middle of the day. This time, I walked on each of Star Tours in HS and The Safari Ride at AK twice. I mean right up to the loading line. Soarin' was also a walk-on at EPCOT. Other rides were not that crowded in HS, AK, and EPCOT. The only long line at HS was Slinky Dog. Even at MK, I only waited 20 minutes for Jungle Cruise and The Little Mermaid ride. During EEH at MK, I was also able to walk on Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, and Buzz Lightyear. I was shocked.

As far as dining goes, the prices are getting out of control at the sit-down restaurants which I frequent nightly. On this trip, I dined at the GF Cafe, Coral Reef, Skipper's, Rodeo BBQ, Sci-Fi, and Kona. Dinners for 2, entrees and an iced tea only, ranged between $80 and $115 including tax and tip except for Sci-Fi which was a little cheaper. The DVC discount helped a little. My wife and I used to visit the high line restaurants more often, but their prices have gotten ridiculously expensive. At Narcoossee's and Citrico's, the entrees seem to average about $50. The food is good, but not that good.

As for the Rodeo BBQ, I didn't find the meat entrees anything special, but we did get salmon, in lieu of sausage, which was very good. The baked beans, potato salad, and fried pickles were very good. Also, the watermelon and romaine and kale salad were also fine. They give you a lot to eat!

Totally agree about the restaurant pricing- particularly since we thought the food quality was very hit or miss on our last trip. We used to look forward to dining, now not so much. Glad the rest of your trip went so well- Thanks for sharing.

Totally agree about the restaurant pricing- particularly since we thought the food quality was very hit or miss on our last trip. We used to look forward to dining, now not so much. Glad the rest of your trip went so well- Thanks for sharing.
Totally agree-that used to be half the fun of the trip for us-all the great places to dine. But the prices are stupid expensive now and it just doesn’t seem worth it most of the time. We’re going this summer and planning on doing mostly CS.
We did however book lunch at Kona for one of the days. Thoughts on Kona? Can’t seem to find many reviews on it other than breakfast. They are still within reason-price wise-but not so cheap that I will be fine if the food ends up being crappy…

Totally agree-that used to be half the fun of the trip for us-all the great places to dine. But the prices are stupid expensive now and it just doesn’t seem worth it most of the time. We’re going this summer and planning on doing mostly CS.
We did however book lunch at Kona for one of the days. Thoughts on Kona? Can’t seem to find many reviews on it other than breakfast. They are still within reason-price wise-but not so cheap that I will be fine if the food ends up being crappy…
Did you go back to Kona? What were your thoughts? We did a small sushi comparison review last week (added as comments in thread attached); Kona was ok but not spectacular and more sauce was provided on the CS boxed version of the spicy tuna roll than on the version we were served at the table.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/has-anyone-eaten-at-shiki-sai-yet-in-epcot.3928805/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter