Just back...our thoughts/observations

allie_to_you

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes...
Just back from our trip to Disney World. We were there for 8 days and while not everything went perfectly, it was overall a great trip. Just some thoughts/observations from our trip…

1. Magicbands We were happy with this change. Since we stayed off-site, we pre-purchased our magicbands from the Disney store and had them in just a few days. I was worried that they would be flimsy or feel like they were going to fall off, but they felt quite sturdy and were pretty comfortable to wear. I decorated mine using fingernail polish and it was super cute. We liked not having to reach for our park tickets or memory maker card for our photopass pictures and ride photos.

2. FP+ After all the negative things I had read about FP+ before we left on our trip, I was highly prepared to dislike this new change. But, for us at least, it was pretty easy. We made all our fast passes at 30 days out and had absolutely no issues getting everything we wanted. In the parks, it was pretty easy (except for the times when the app was acting screwy) to make changes to the time or attraction. We only ever utilized the FP kiosks a couple times. By the times our 3 were used up, we had either already done everything we wanted or there wasn’t anything left worth standing in the kiosk line for. The only real negative thing I guess I’d say about the FP+ system is that it made our days feel a bit more regimented. We had to stop and think about where our next FP was going to be so that we weren’t clear across the park at another attraction when it came time for our current FP. After even a part of a day at the park, you tend to be a lot more tired than you realize…especially your feet.

3. Restaurants We went to quite a few restaurants this trip, some of which were new for us
a. Coral Reef: This was a new one to us. It’s a beautiful restaurant, and the view into the big tank is nice, but the food was bland and the service only so so. Not one we’ll do again most likely
b. Ohana – breakfast: Loved it. We had never done this one before this trip because we had always felt, by the description, that it wouldn’t be enough food for the price. We came away SOOOOO full though. No, it wasn’t the variety that you find at a buffet, but it was still very good and filling and all you can eat. Plus, getting to see Lilo & Stitch was pretty cool and we were glad they had a photopass photographer there to get pictures of you with Stitch
c. Ohana – Dinner: We’ve done this one several times before and always really enjoy it. My only complaint is that the chicken wings, while good, tasted different than the yummy wings we’ve had in years past. The bread pudding of course, as always is to die for.
d. 50’s Prime Time Café: We’ve never done this one before but we LOVED it. It was so cute and our waiter was really fun. Great food and atmosphere
e. Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party: We did this a few years ago but enjoyed it again this year. It was quite cold this night, so we were freezing on the balcony by the water, but we had a fantastic view and the desserts were good. We got there about an hour before Wishes started and had some coffee and desserts. Since it was so cold though, we didn’t want to just sit around, so it was nice to be able to leave and then come back after a while for more desserts and to see the show and know that our table was still ours and hadn’t been touched.

4. Crowds Holy cow! We planned our trip for the week in January that we did using both Touringplans and EasyWDW. Both had the crowds being at very low, but our first weekend was during the ½ and full marathons, which made traffic and the crowds a nightmare. Even once the races were over, it was still quite a bit more crowded than we expected it to be.

5. Construction At MK, the construction near the hub wasn’t so bad that we even really took too much notice of it. Thankfully, we got some good pics in front of the castle before the ugly crane went up to take down all the castle lights.
At AK, the construction wall are EVERYWHERE and they felt very obtrusive and ugly. In fact, we only ended up going to AK one day. It was cold the day we went, so we barely saw any animals and we just didn’t feel like we enjoyed AK this year like we have in the past.
At HS, on our first day, they had most of the panels off the tip of the scorcerer’s hat. A few days later, they had a good chunk of the top of the hat off. It was a bit of an eyesore and you could really see how dingy the hat was looking when you were up close

Hi Allie, we were there it seems at the same time (1/11-1/17). I have to add to your point that I was quite surprised by the crowds too. We were at MK on Tue and Wed which were supposed to be "3" days per Touring Plans and there was no way Tue was even close - 6 maybe! Wed was a little closer and TP was spot on for AK on Thu. But Saturday - OMG! I have been to WDW only (only I guess?) 4 times - 3 times in early Dec and 1 time in May and I have never seen crowds that big! We stayed for only a few hours and were so disappointed we could only ride just a few rides beyond our 3 fast passes (we got lucky and rode POTC with no wait right after it opened after being shut down all day). I am very interested to see to what TP says for their post-crowd analysis.

Glad you had a great time. For us, it didn't come close to our 4 previous visits. Something was just off for us so we are going back to what we did since our last visit in 2009 - Disney Cruises.

Kevin

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations.

We leave TOMORROW (flying down Wednesday) and we're all so excited!! We're going with our DD (I took her for a week last year) and her DH and their two kids (ages 6 and 9) and her DH's parents so there will be 8 of us and this will be our grandchildren's first visit to Disneyworld. :)

Last year when DD and I went, we were in the "test group" for the magic bands as we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Only had one minor glitch with mine the entire week, we loved them! Looking forward to using them this trip too. They're already packed in my carryon. :)

We have reservations for Coral Reef, 50's Prime Time Cafe (and a few others) and the Wishes Dessert party too so I enjoyed reading what you had to say about those.

Sorry to hear about so much construction though. :( And that the January crowds were bigger than normal. We have done most of our Disney trips in the month of January and always enjoyed low to non-existent crowds. DD and I went in September and it was fairly busy then, and I went once in March (spring break) and it was extremely busy. Hoping for low crowds while we're there. :)

Oh, did you ride Pirates of the Caribbean and if you did, did you get wet? I've been hearing about people getting extremely wet on that ride since they have different boats.

No such thing as low crowds anymore.

DITTO! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I visit WDW 3-6 x/year and have for ten years. I TRULY do not feel there are any crowd levels below a 4--ever. The days of 15 min waits and walk ons are over and done.

I visit WDW 3-6 x/year and have for ten years. I TRULY do not feel there are any crowd levels below a 4--ever. The days of 15 min waits and walk ons are over and done.

I also agree! Disney is using special events to fill the parks during what used to be low peak times. We went the week after Labor day a couple years ago (DD school had construction so a delayed start date that year). I was telling my DD how empty it would be (having been in September before). I was' expecting '2' days, and the lowest was probably closer to a '5'. As we got closer to the weekend with the Night of Joy celebration, it was more of a '7'. (my fault for not researching the Night of Joy crowd levels :headache:) On the Friday we were there, we were walking to Splash Mountain and we saw a sea of teenagers in blue Tshirts coming for the ride from the other side. I told DD: 'Run for the line!!!' :rotfl: We noticed that the wait time posted had increased from 20 minutes just while we went through the ride.

So I would suggest avoiding the special events and the few days around them if possible, even during traditionally slow times.

I also agree! Disney is using special events to fill the parks during what used to be low peak times. We went the week after Labor day a couple years ago (DD school had construction so a delayed start date that year). I was telling my DD how empty it would be (having been in September before). I was' expecting '2' days, and the lowest was probably closer to a '5'. As we got closer to the weekend with the Night of Joy celebration, it was more of a '7'.

I remember going the week after Labor Day back before parenthood (about 10-12 years ago), and the parks were always dead. Like sometimes it would seem like a spooky abandoned theme park. The whole area was so dead that you could get a 2 BDR condo at Orange Lake for an entire week for $120 on SkyAuction. Those days were great for the handful of visitors who took advantage, but a big waste of money for Disney. Their special events are actually better overall, but I am sad we can never have a truly slow time again.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations.

Oh, did you ride Pirates of the Caribbean and if you did, did you get wet? I've been hearing about people getting extremely wet on that ride since they have different boats.

We were there Dec 8-15 in the parks and we got a little wet on Pirates. Maybe they are trying to bring some life to it! sitting on the ends you get some overspill from the little drop, and the cannon fire can splash a bit, but nothing major.

Have fun!!

Doesn't sound like the construction areas have changed all that much since last October. We felt the same way you did. The MK hub construction was not that noticeable. Casey's was no longer a good spot for the castle projection show or fireworks with the construction walls and it was a little more congested coming around from Tomorrowland, but other than that it was not really noticeable. It did not detract from the castle view down Main Street or affect photos at all. AK was a whole different story. We felt like there were construction walls everywhere. The walls made us feel closed in in some areas. We really felt like it took away from the park experience too. It really obstructed views in several areas.

It's disturbing to hear about the construction walls at AK. Where are they? Does anyone here know how long they are expected to be up?

Thanks for the informative post.

It's disturbing to hear about the construction walls at AK. Where are they? Does anyone here know how long they are expected to be up?

Thanks for the informative post.

They're everywhere. The park is really one big wall. They surround Discovery Island and block pretty much any water view that existed in the the park. Walking from Africa to Asia is like walking through a tunnel.

We were there 1/3 to 1/8. Tuesday 1/6 and Wednesday 1/7 were supposed to be low crowds, but it didn't feel like it at MK. The last time we were there was the week before Memorial Day in 2013. If I compare both times, I'd say that this January trip felt more crowded in general... Maybe it's the construction in the hub?
We noticed a lot more internatinal guests this time around, too.

The walls around AK made the park feel "tight". It was our first visit to AK as we didn't go to that park in 2013. I don't know if we'll ever go back there again (unless we have park hoppers, I guess). Luckily, we enjoyed the Nemo show and DD enjoyed FOTLK.

Absolutely NOT TRUE.
I was at the Poly for nine nights…September 2 to 11….
Never used FP+, never waited more than a few minutes for ANYTHING, walked into every restaurant I wanted with NO exceptions (except Castle Royal dinner) without an ADR and was seated immediately, empty buses, empty monorail, empty ferry boats, etc etc. Sorry to disagree but they are not over and done from my experience of 10 days out and about 24/7…
Please watch my film and decide for yourself.
WDW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDjdbRcEHU

Hi Allie, we were there at the same time - from 1/10 - 1/18. I had planned on both weekends being busy with the first being marathon weekend and the second being MLK weekend. Planning and experiencing are two different things, lol :) Saturday the 17th at the MK was probably the busiest that I've seen since my childhood Christmas trips!

Been here from 1/15 to 1/21. Crowds are higher then I ever seen this time of year. Yes this weekend is high crowd and so will be president day weekend. But I have never waited in a fast pass for buzz outside and it loop all the way down to laugh floor. It was well over 30 minute closer to 45 for a fast pass. Crazy crowds was in Epcot yesterday and was bad early then not so much after 4. Test track went down to 40 minutes at one point but right back up to 60. Many many tour groups here again a bit more then have seen in the past. Been coming this weekend for the past four years.

Hi Allie, we were there at the same time - from 1/10 - 1/18. I had planned on both weekends being busy with the first being marathon weekend and the second being MLK weekend. Planning and experiencing are two different things, lol :) Saturday the 17th at the MK was probably the busiest that I've seen since my childhood Christmas trips!
EasyWDW states clearly that the best time in January is from the 22nd to Feb 11th. And that its best to avoid MLK and Marathon Weekends if you are looking for the slowest season/times outside of Labor Day! Yes the good ole days are gone as far as low low crowds except Labor day from my recent experience…but what does one expect when traveling during these "holiday" times?
I may go for a few days Saturday the 31st and will report back on how it was different crowd wise from my september trip.
WDW

EasyWDW states clearly that the best time in January is from the 22nd to Feb 11th. And that its best to avoid MLK and Marathon Weekends if you are looking for the slowest season/times outside of Labor Day! Yes the good ole days are gone as far as low low crowds except Labor day from my recent experience…but what does one expect when traveling during these "holiday" times? I may go for a few days Saturday the 31st and will report back on how it was different crowd wise from my september trip. WDW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDjdbRcEHU

Thanks Tim, I know it's not the best weekend in January to visit crowd-wise. I expected the weekends to be crowded, they just exceeded my expectations. And being in the crowd is different than thinking about being in the crowd :)

Thanks Tim, I know it's not the best weekend in January to visit crowd-wise. I expected the weekends to be crowded, they just exceeded my expectations. And being in the crowd is different than thinking about being in the crowd :)
I encourage you to go the day before Labor Day and for about 10 days after Labor Day!!! Plus you can book the Polynesian (finished and new) for $220 a night including tax and free stuff (water parks, golf etc) with the special "agency" rate from an unmentionable company! Its a great time and I loved the heat, rain, clouds, thunder etc….
My September fim:
WDW
Tim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter