Just back - room check info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes ! I have things stolen from AKL twice ... jewelry and medication .

Doubt it.. really do. I have been a hotel GM for a major brand for 20 plus years. Could it happen, sure.. Twice at AKL? Nope.

But this is the internet so you will say what you want just like I will and nobody will win that fight.. But as I said I am a hotel GM and I will FIGHT for my staff.. If you even saw a small portion of the expensive items they turn in you would be shocked.

Or better yet the vast number of hotel guests that will swear their rings, meds, watches etc were stolen to only find them somewhere else, two days later..

But regarding room checks, they are going to happen. They happen already.. We have done them for years. You can say Disney has done a poor job with communication and I will agree. But any hotel that is not in your room once a day, is doing a poor job of protecting the other guests, the staff and the assests of the hotel.

Folks, this actual function of room inspections has been going on for decades, just more transparent now..

Doubt it.. really do. I have been a hotel GM for a major brand for 20 plus years. Could it happen, sure.. Twice at AKL? Nope.

But this is the internet so you will say what you want just like I will and nobody will win that fight.. But as I said I am a hotel GM and I will FIGHT for my staff.. If you even saw a small portion of the expensive items they turn in you would be shocked.

Or better yet the vast number of hotel guests that will swear their rings, meds, watches etc were stolen to only find them somewhere else, two days later..

But regarding room checks, they are going to happen. They happen already.. We have done them for years. You can say Disney has done a poor job with communication and I will agree. But any hotel that is not in your room once a day, is doing a poor job of protecting the other guests, the staff and the assests of the hotel.

Folks, this actual function of room inspections has been going on for decades, just more transparent now..

Agreed. Years ago I worked front desk at a large chain hotel. They were doing room checks at that time as well so nothing new. We had many guests that were in town for work and would stay weeks at a time. They would request no housekeeping and the rooms were always checked on a regular basis. At that time it was more for the damage that guests cause rather than safety. People would be amazed at how much damage can be done to a room in just a couple of days. As well as the garbage being left in rooms and attracting bugs which would be a huge concern. Then there is the drug usage to deal with also. There are many reasons that rooms are checked.
Also saw housekeeping turn in items that guests had left behind in their rooms. I'm sure there are issues of theft places but I can't see any hotel allowing it to continue.
I honestly don't understand why people have such an issue with room checks. Any hotel that does them is protecting themselves as well as other guests.

Agreed. Years ago I worked front desk at a large chain hotel. They were doing room checks at that time as well so nothing new. We had many guests that were in town for work and would stay weeks at a time. They would request no housekeeping and the rooms were always checked on a regular basis. At that time it was more for the damage that guests cause rather than safety. People would be amazed at how much damage can be done to a room in just a couple of days. As well as the garbage being left in rooms and attracting bugs which would be a huge concern. Then there is the drug usage to deal with also. There are many reasons that rooms are checked.
Also saw housekeeping turn in items that guests had left behind in their rooms. I'm sure there are issues of theft places but I can't see any hotel allowing it to continue.
I honestly don't understand why people have such an issue with room checks. Any hotel that does them is protecting themselves as well as other guests.
Room checks do not bother me. Not being ale to take a nap or shower during the day does. We communicated to the resort and housekeeping three hours of the day to allow a nap for my granddaughter. They woke her up 3 days out of 7 by pounding on the door. It is a 30 second check. They should be able to accommodate a three hour window. Dogs are given more privacy. If they can work around the dogs, they can work around a nap time. There is no reason for guests paying to use a room to be treated this way. it is absurd for Disney to expect that they cannot reasonably be able to use the room without interruption to sleep, change, shower, have sex, be sick, or any other legal activity if they have communicated that they do not want to be disturbed.

...Dogs are given more privacy. If they can work around the dogs, they can work around a nap time....

My fav quote on this topic.
Sorry that happened to your family djc. If there's any hotel chain that should strive to accommodate baby nap time, it's Disney. It's a very expected part of their customer base. (Of course they should accommodate all ages nap/etc. time, but just saying a baby being woken up is REALLY hard on a vacationing family and part of human biology(?) - most of them have to nap.)

Excuse me? Lol really ? I have posted about this previously and I assure you it happened .. with police reports given it was narcotics and a very pricey necklace ( a solid gold sheriff star with my husbands ID number engraved ) a gift I will never recover, we were also staying CL with no room service so it was easy to see that someone came into the room . They did offer a two night stay in the future which we used and still love AKL but I would have preferred to keep my sentimental gift.

Is someone really saying theft doesn't happen at hotels? LOL. Not saying WDW has more (or less) theft than other hotels - I have no clue - but of course there is theft everywhere. I bet someone at your town library has had something stolen!
Just 5 seconds of google searching shows 2 sting operations - meaning very good evidence, and it wasn't the person's first time stealing:
OKW 2017: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/disney-housekeeper-arrested-for-stealing
All Stars 2013: http://www.disneydining.com/disney-housekeeper-arrested-for-stealing/

Is someone really saying theft doesn't happen at hotels? LOL. Not saying WDW has more (or less) theft than other hotels - I have no clue - but of course there is theft everywhere. I bet someone at your town library has had something stolen!
Just 5 seconds of google searching shows 2 sting operations - meaning very good evidence, and it wasn't the person's first time stealing:
OKW 2017: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/disney-housekeeper-arrested-for-stealing
All Stars 2013: http://www.disneydining.com/disney-housekeeper-arrested-for-stealing/

Exactly... happens everywhere ... even Disney .I didn’t hold that against the entire company only whoever stole my things but I definitely assure you it happens . The meds not such a big deal because with a report Inwas able to get the meds reissued but the place that made the necklace no longer had the mold for the department so I could not have it replaced ... this past Christmas he did find a place online to make another but it is not the same quality ( thinner and not as nice ) but after 6-7 yrs he wanted to at least try to have another made . I had taken it off and set it on the counter and just forgot to put it back on ...
The meds were a few trips later , I normally put them in the safe but had his firearm and badge locked inside so put them in my bathroom bag instead ... half of the narcotics ( 3 types ) were gone which I noticed right away because I only take what I need for the trip . While they were not forthcoming on what they were doing to find out who had done it they did go out of their way to try to make it up in other ways .

Maybe I am too trusting but I don't have issues with housekeeping when I stay at hotels. There is records of who is in the rooms. Does anyone seriously think hard working people are willing to risk jobs/jail over the baubles people bring on vacation?

I trust too. I leave everything out. What worries me about the possibility of 2 different people in the room, if something gets stolen, it would become he said she said. Before it could only be housekeeping.

As for people risking their jobs...my goodness...I cant even begin to tell you the things Ive seen at my workplace, an extremely large corporate HQ. We are all adults, all professionals, all make decent to incredible salaries. There are 5 buildings with approx 400 - 500 employees in each building. I dont even trust putting my lunch in the common area refrigerator! Lunches go missing DAILY. If I took a lunch by accident, upon realizing it, I would start asking around and apologize for even opening it. Not others...just take it and never look back. One associate, making 80K plus annually was let go for stealing cookies in our corporate cafeteria...and he was warned twice before the firing! Im not even going to get into what Im thinking is the cleaning crew at night. Never leave change/money in my drawer...my candy jar is emptied each night, even a couple of my Disney figurines were stolen :( I could go on and on and on...but I believe some people just have an addiction, need or whatever. Hotel housekeepers making $12 an hour can get another job at any one of 1000 hotels in the area. If they get away with stealing once, they will try twice, three times etc..until they are caught.

I dont even trust putting my lunch in the common area refrigerator! Lunches go missing DAILY

Ha! :rotfl2:This is a problem at my workplace too! and DH! Why can't people buy their own lunch? I take my own insulated lunch bag now. And nobody packs shrimp and lobster- we're talking tuna salad sandwiches here???

I trust too. I leave everything out. What worries me about the possibility of 2 different people in the room, if something gets stolen, it would become he said she said. Before it could only be housekeeping.
The times rooms have been checked twice have been done in error though, from what the managers have said, when asked. It's either/or. If you don't have a housekeeper in for whatever reason on a given day, either because you've declined or you were in the room at that moment and asked them to return later, then it's a security check. There shouldn't be both a security check when you aren't there AND a housekeeper when you aren't there. Not to say it's never happened because they've had some wires crossed during the start of this thing but that's not the way their policy is set up. I think as it gets ironed out it will settle down to being one or the other and when Housekeeping checks off that the given room has been entered for that day, it will be off the list for needing a security check.

Oh, how I would love if this were true! Left a jacket in a closet at BWV while checking out. Went back to the room within 3-4 minutes of leaving and housekeeping was in the room and denied seeing any jacket. We filed a missing item report and never heard another word. Our fault for forgetting it, but obviously it went home with someone who had access to that particular room. Not a big deal, but I'm not naive enough to think that things don't get stolen from any level of resort.

Oh, how I would love if this were true! Left a jacket in a closet at BWV while checking out. Went back to the room within 3-4 minutes of leaving and housekeeping was in the room and denied seeing any jacket. We filed a missing item report and never heard another word. Our fault for forgetting it, but obviously it went home with someone who had access to that particular room. Not a big deal, but I'm not naive enough to think that things don't get stolen from any level of resort.

Exactly.. I’m sure not all do it but yeh it happens .. EVEN at Disney LOl we have had good situations also , leaving my daughters bear and they went out of the way to find it and overnight mail it to us because she was so upset but yeh just like anywhere there will be people that take stuff just to take it . I’m sure the necklace was useless for anything other then selling it for the gold given it was special made for that department but it was priceless to me .
The drugs well street value is good or they could be personally used .

I had a vial of injectable vitamin B12 (in a labelled prescription bottle) and a medical syringe stolen out of my suitcase either by TSA or at SSR in August. It was packed in the bottom of a pocket under a ton of other things so they had to have been digging to find it. I know it was packed and verified when I got home that I hadn't just forgotten it. I did bring it up to a manager at the resort and that's who actually brought up about TSA. Since I didn't notice it missing until a couple days into the trip, I had no way of knowing if it was TSA or a housekeeper. They did offer a free cab to the nearest pharmacy to get it replaced, but my meds are prescribed by the VA and can't be picked up at civilian pharmacies. Thankfully it was something I could postpone taking until we returned from the trip. I appreciated the offer of the free cab but felt that the manager was just trying to push the issue off on TSA. Granted, it could have been TSA, but I find it far more likely that a lone housekeeper had the opportunity than a rogue TSA checked baggage checker who presumably wasn't alone with my luggage, not to mention, there was no notice on my luggage that it had been hand-checked.

My son's medication mysteriously disappeared from the safety deposit box behind the front desk at Kidani Village and we never received a satisfactory explanation. The manager said that they had been conducting a security check and couldn't find any paperwork associated with our box so they threw out the contents.

This makes no sense because the medication had a prescription label with my son's name on it and was also in a padded envelope with our name and address on it! The whole thing seemed highly suspicious to me but we were checking out and didn't want to waste our last day so didn't pursue the matter. Left a sour taste in my mouth though!

Talking about theft has reminded me of the maid who worked at AofA. She was arrested a few years ago for stealing from guests rooms. I think it went on for some time. So sure, it could definitely happen to someone more then once at the same resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter