Just back....some observations and opinions

I agree about smoking in designated areas *inside* of the parks. But the biggest gripe of the OP was in regard to smoking while waiting for a boat, which are outside of the parks. This is perfectly acceptable because there is no prohibition against smoking outside of the parks. So you're right - Smoking is my prerogative, MOVING is yours, in that situation.

Unfortunately, moving is exactly what I had to do when someone decided to smoke in a line for a boat near my asthmatic daughter. Her attacks are often triggered by allergens and cigarette smoke, and I didn't need her going into full scale respiratory distress on the boat dock.

But I hope you'll understand, in turn, that when the boat arrived, I took her right back to join the rest of the family in front of the smoker in line. Cause hey, if it's my job to move out of the line to avoid your smoke, I'm sure you'll agree it's your job to let me back in line when you're done. :rolleyes:

I agree about the language used by folks visiting WDW. It never ceases to amaze me the language parents use around their children. It makes me wonder what the language of these children will be when they grow up. IMHO, as a race, we are really slipping in certain areas.

Yes! We had a little encounter at AK in Asia last year. It was me and my 7 year old DD and there was a family with really young kids using words ...... they were actually swearing AT the kids :scared1: Well I did calmly pick up our stuff and move along with as little fuss as possible, saved by the fact that my DD was unfamiliar with those words (to the best of my knowledge) and I want to keep it that way as long as possible. I think that was the only time.

I don't think the OP intended this thread to become a smoking debate - I read the post as simply observations. Interesting thread though. :thumbsup2

Are you serious? That is just a rude and ignorant statement. I would be happy to put your cigarette out for you if you decided to express your prerogative in line with me.

And I will be happy to have you arrested for assault, for you will be breaking the law & I will not be....

We were waiting for a boat on Disney property to get back to our hotel...and NO I will not move out of your way when I have been waiting in line just so you can smoke your cigarette..that you could smoke before getting around my young children

I am well aware the boats are on Disney property, I'm also aware that Disney only prohibits smoking outside of smoking areas in the theme parks and resorts. That's why there are no designated smoking areas in other places.

To be fair, the OP expressed her perrogative and GISGT expressed his perrogative, which, considering there are no rules prohibiting him from smoking in those areas, he is perfectly entitled to do. I do agree that it's just plain common courtesy to move off to the side as opposed to smoking in a line of people but in expressing his perrogative, his statement wasn't any more or less rude than the OP's.

I agree with this, just wanted to make it clear I'm female. My husband and kids would be rather disturbed otherwise, lol!

Unfortunately, moving is exactly what I had to do when someone decided to smoke in a line for a boat near my asthmatic daughter. Her attacks are often triggered by allergens and cigarette smoke, and I didn't need her going into full scale respiratory distress on the boat dock.

But I hope you'll understand, in turn, that when the boat arrived, I took her right back to join the rest of the family in front of the smoker in line. Cause hey, if it's my job to move out of the line to avoid your smoke, I'm sure you'll agree it's your job to let me back in line when you're done. :rolleyes:

I would completely understand re-entering the line and would be very, very thankful that you did something proactive instead of bit**ing and moaning about it. I'd even put it out if you asked nicely & explained why, it's the fake coughing/hand waving that annoys me.

The smokers were a problem our last trip too (balcony smoking specifically). Not only was it gross to us, the CM's did nothing about it. :rolleyes:

I smoke and the first thing I do when we leave park is smoking. However when I join bus line I always drop a cigarette. My reason is, there are too many people moving around, I simply do not want to burn anyone, esp. little jumping kids. If I decide to smoke while waiting for bus, I step out for the same reason. My family holds a spot for me. I know I have all the rights to smoke right there and technically nobody can say anything to me if they do not want start a fight, but I just being polite to others.

I would completely understand re-entering the line and would be very, very thankful that you did something proactive instead of bit**ing and moaning about it. I'd even put it out if you asked nicely & explained why, it's the fake coughing/hand waving that annoys me.

Fair enough. :thumbsup2

The smokers were a problem our last trip too (balcony smoking specifically). Not only was it gross to us, the CM's did nothing about it. :rolleyes:

Actually there is a fine for smoking in room(if you stayed on Disney property). You may not know but they could penalty them and more then once.

it's the fake coughing/hand waving that annoys me.

Although I do not wish to get involved in this debate, this last comment really made me chuckle. Simply because as I read it I could picture exactly what you were talking about. :lmao:

And I will be happy to have you arrested for assault, for you will be breaking the law & I will not be....

I am well aware the boats are on Disney property, I'm also aware that Disney only prohibits smoking outside of smoking areas in the theme parks and resorts. That's why there are no designated smoking areas in other places.

I agree with this, just wanted to make it clear I'm female. My husband and kids would be rather disturbed otherwise, lol!

I had a young lady ask me to put out my cigarette the other day while I was sitting in my car at a McDonald's drive-thru. She explained she was pregnant so with my feelings all ramped up with sympathy for her, (after all, I've been there/done that 4 times myself), I immediately threw the butt into the butt-snuffer in my car. I turned around to get my receipt and she "all of a sudden" got all snippy and said, "You know there's a law that says you can't smoke within 25 feet of a doorway." I had to bite my tongue hard not to confront the girl with the actual part of the law pertaining to it being lawful to smoke in, or on, one's own property, but I took a deep breath and just ignored her ignorance. And no... a window is not considered a door. Perfect example of someone being rude. If she had just left it at the request to put out my cigarette no hard feelings would have occurred, but her rudeness left a bitter taste in my mouth and all that sympathy I had felt just seconds before just flew out the window.

BTW: There are some fast food establishments that have a sign in their windows that asks "politely" to please not smoke. I have no problem abiding by their "polite" request.

So, what you are saying is that you only smoke in areas that are designated smoking areas? I see nothing wrong with that. I would think that if there are smoking posts, then you are in a smoking area. I don't see how it matters if you are there first, second, third, or whatever, if it's indeed a smoking area, then there is no problem.

Yes i only smoke in the designated area. OUtside of CR resort they had benches w/smoking posts right next to them which was my main hangout. Luckily I was almost always the only person there. I dont know i would feel too uncomfortable depending on who it was if there was someone there before me and definitely would not do so if there was a child sitting in that area before i got there. I just wouldnt do it.

It's not the science or the health issues I'm debating, it's the attitude. A little more "Do unto others" is needed by both sides. There's far too much arrogance and smugness in the world today. It thrives in our politicians, in Hollywood and trickles down into our nation's citizens. Manners have gone the way of the dinosaurs. We must find a way to get them back into our culture or we can kiss our society goodbye.

A simple please and thank you will get you far more of the things you want in this life than a disapproving remark or withering look will, which, by the way, just makes others angry and more prone to reply with their own brand of negativity. That attitude is how bullies behave and wars begin.

If something displeases you, then avoid the situation or ignore it. Much less stress for you and for everyone around you. If you go out of your way to be rude, then you can fully expect rudeness directed back at you. At that point, your being right or wrong doesn't matter anymore. You have already implied that you want confrontation and that is what you will receive. Just common sense...really.
I know what you were saying but in NO way does someone's BO have the effects secondhand smoke does on someone else. Sure the roses could bug you but come on....you comparing apples to oranges.

I smoke and the first thing I do when we leave park is smoking. However when I join bus line I always drop a cigarette. My reason is, there are too many people moving around, I simply do not want to burn anyone, esp. little jumping kids. If I decide to smoke while waiting for bus, I step out for the same reason. My family holds a spot for me. I know I have all the rights to smoke right there and technically nobody can say anything to me if they do not want start a fight, but I just being polite to others.

Drop it where exactly?:confused3

I agree about the language used by folks visiting WDW. It never ceases to amaze me the language parents use around their children. It makes me wonder what the language of these children will be when they grow up. IMHO, as a race, we are really slipping in certain areas.

What do you mean "when they grow up"????? My daughter told me just last week that one of her friends used the "f" word on the playground and she needed my advice on how to handle the situation.....:confused3

Yes i only smoke in the designated area. OUtside of CR resort they had benches w/smoking posts right next to them which was my main hangout. Luckily I was almost always the only person there. I dont know i would feel too uncomfortable depending on who it was if there was someone there before me and definitely would not do so if there was a child sitting in that area before i got there. I just wouldnt do it.

That's very considerate of you. :goodvibes

Yikes, what a thread!

I'm a smoker, so is DH. We're as considerate about it as we can be - we use designated smoking areas, if they're available. If they're not and we're someplace where we can't easily move (i.e. - standing in line), one of us will walk away from the crowd and get our nicotine fix, while the other waits until the first person is done. We try to be conscientious about our cigarette butts - make sure they're completely out then dispose of them in a proper receptacle.

That being said, yes - it is your right not to breathe cigarette smoke but it's our right to smoke if we want to, as long as we're abiding by the rules that have been set forth. If I'm in a designated smoking area and you come through or near the area of your own volition, I'm sorry but no - you do NOT get to infringe on my rights. Give me the stink-eye all you want; I'm likely to make funny faces at you. Try to embarrass me and I'll return the favor. Trust me, I'll come up with something that will make you run the other way...like saying very loudly, "No, I don't have a spare tampon for you, sorry. Try tying your sweatshirt around your waist," just so people will stare at you instead of me.

I don't rile easily but I am astonished that people feel it's their God-given right to impose their values on me, even when I'm trying to be courteous and do what's right (i.e. - smoking in a DSA). Yes, I do realize smoking is a bad habit. Yes, I'll likely be quitting some day soon. But until I'm arrested for some sort of smoking infraction, YOU are not my judge and jury, and I'll reject any effort you make to infringe on my rights.

Okay, all of that aside...I wish I could say I was surprised by the amount of entitlement that non-smokers feel towards smokers or the negativity being thrown around this thread. The last week on DIS has been an eye-opener for this newbie - everyone seems to be up in arms about something. Yes, I realize that this is rather ironic for me to be saying so, given that I've just spouted off about my rights as a smoker, but it just seems like the friction is on the rise. Maybe it's the time of year, a lack of pixie dust, or everyone just itching to get their Dis on. Hopefully we can go back to being a bit nicer to one another.

Yikes, what a thread!

I'm a smoker, so is DH. We're as considerate about it as we can be - we use designated smoking areas, if they're available. If they're not and we're someplace where we can't easily move (i.e. - standing in line), one of us will walk away from the crowd and get our nicotine fix, while the other waits until the first person is done. We try to be conscientious about our cigarette butts - make sure they're completely out then dispose of them in a proper receptacle.

That being said, yes - it is your right not to breathe cigarette smoke but it's our right to smoke if we want to, as long as we're abiding by the rules that have been set forth. If I'm in a designated smoking area and you come through or near the area of your own volition, I'm sorry but no - you do NOT get to infringe on my rights. Give me the stink-eye all you want; I'm likely to make funny faces at you. Try to embarrass me and I'll return the favor. Trust me, I'll come up with something that will make you run the other way...like saying very loudly, "No, I don't have a spare tampon for you, sorry. Try tying your sweatshirt around your waist," just so people will stare at you instead of me.

I don't rile easily but I am astonished that people feel it's their God-given right to impose their values on me, even when I'm trying to be courteous and do what's right (i.e. - smoking in a DSA). Yes, I do realize smoking is a bad habit. Yes, I'll likely be quitting some day soon. But until I'm arrested for some sort of smoking infraction, YOU are not my judge and jury, and I'll reject any effort you make to infringe on my rights.

Okay, all of that aside...I wish I could say I was surprised by the amount of entitlement that non-smokers feel towards smokers or the negativity being thrown around this thread. The last week on DIS has been an eye-opener for this newbie - everyone seems to be up in arms about something. Yes, I realize that this is rather ironic for me to be saying so, given that I've just spouted off about my rights as a smoker, but it just seems like the friction is on the rise. Maybe it's the time of year, a lack of pixie dust, or everyone just itching to get their Dis on. Hopefully we can go back to being a bit nicer to one another.

Regarding the bolded red text - I totally agree. Not sure what is going on??? :confused3 Maybe everyone is waiting on the public Free Dining code??? ;)

Yikes, what a thread!

I know there is no law agaisnt smoking...and I appreciate people who are respectful of smoking around people who don't smoke...The problem that I have with this is I HAVE to breathe....you choose to smoke. Breathing is not a choice...I, along with my children have to do it to live...Why should we have to be subjected to something you choose to do? (and when I say you I mean all smokers not LadySiren specifically)

Oops, sorry about that. :flower3:

Yikes, what a thread!

Nice post!! And welcome to the disboards, I see you are semi new. Oh this thread is only one of several that people get mighty mighty about. Relax, have a drink, and enjoy.

I know there is no law agaisnt smoking...and I appreciate people who are respectful of smoking around people who don't smoke...The problem that I have with this is I HAVE to breathe....you choose to smoke. Breathing is not a choice...I, along with my children have to do it to live...Why should we have to be subjected to something you choose to do? (and when I say you I mean all smokers not LadySiren specifically)

This is the truth- you dont have to be around here smoke. Disney walkways are quite wide enough where you can miss a smoking area completely.:rotfl::rotfl:

Regarding the bolded red text - I totally agree. Not sure what is going on??? :confused3 Maybe everyone is waiting on the public Free Dining code??? ;)

Maybe waiting on the free dining promo to come out so they can have more money to buy more cigarettes:rotfl::rotfl::banana: Just kidding by the way- my hubby is a smoker and is always considerate towards other people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter