Just back, SSR & Vero

Desnik

<font color=teal>I actually love packing and plann
Wow, I need a vacation from my vacation!!!LOL :teeth:
I'm just going to post my thoughts about both places. First let me say it was myself, DH, DD 7yo, DS 2yo, and DSIS 13yo on this trip. We drove from NY. We stayed at SSR(studio) for 2 nights followed by Vero(Inn room) for 4 nights.

SSR
We got a huge "welcome home" from the man at the gate. We were so excited about our trip, this started it off right. I have to admit, I went here expecting the worst! After reading so many negative things, and having BW be our favorite resort, I though we wouldn't like it too much. We weren't going to the parks, just 2 nights to enjoy the resort. At check in we received a happy welcome home from Rusty. He was very friendly and sweet. We checked in at about 2:30pm on Fri. the 24th. We were given a choice of area and view. We picked Congress Park.(I had a request for non smoking DtD view, 2nd floor. on my ressie)I got all requests made. We were right next to the quiet pool. Our room was in great shape(#2201). No complaints and the resort is so beautiful. All the CM's greeted us with cheerful welcome homes. We were treated very well. It was my DH birthday and without asking he recieved a card from Goofy and balloons. DH was so happy, he's a big kid! We were so pleasantly surprised that the resort wasn't crowded. The pool area was very enjoyable, and not crowded at all. The lifeguards were on top of the chair situation with them being held with towels. If a chair had a white towel on it, every 30 min. or so we saw them check the area and remove the towels. We had no problem finding a chair by the pool. The Donald play area was a huge hit with the little ones. We really loved it here and would stay again. However, if we were going to the parks I might feel different. We love the BW area and when we go to the parks we like to be in that location.(we are thinking of adding on at BW)
We did eat at Artist Palette. The food was very good and we ate there 3 times. I could see the menu getting old if you were to eat there all week. I also believe they will definately need another food option as the resort grows. We had no problem going to DtD to eat dinner. We thought the walk from our room to the pool was not a long one at all. Also we loved the walk to DtD and found the walkway with no problem. I kept on thinking of all the complaints about the distances and hard to find pathways. I did not find that to be the case at all. We rented the surry bikes, we enjoyed the resort, and we pool hopped to the WL.....

WL
DH wanted to take my DSIS on a water mouse while I took DD to the kiddie pool. This was on Sat. and the pool was packed! There was no room to swim at the main pool. DS was sleeping so I watched as DD played in the kiddie pool. Until a little girl threw up in it!!! :earseek: I saw her coughing and I wasn't sure what happened. Her big brother was with her. I asked if she was OK and he said yes and they ran to the parents. Another mom said she saw her throw up. I quickly got my daughter out of there. The other mom who witnessed it told a lifeguard. After 20 mins. I went to the family to ask if the girl was OK and did she really throw up? The parents said nothing and acted like it didn't happen, basically ignored me and the son told me she did. I told a lifeguard and he told me he knew what happened and they were getting someone to "backwash" the pool. No one ever came and I was sitting there chatting with a fellow NYer I met for an hour! The lifeguards looked like they couldn't handle the crowd. There were no chairs available, but also white towels on chairs that no one came back to. When DH and DSIS returned we went to the quiet pool, which had about 10 people in it!! We had a nice swim and left. BTW I did ask if it was OK to pool hop there and was told yes, the restriction started on the 27th.

Vero
The resort is beautiful. We were checked in by Josh who was great! No welcome home, but very friendly and helpful. All my requests were met. The room was pre assigned. Room 2225. Non smoking Inn ocean view. The view was spectacular. It was so peaceful. The room was in OK condition. Meaning it was nice and clean enough, but needing some paint, and other touching up. Our shower drain was clogged and we called the front desk. Within 20 mins. there were there cleaning it out. Sand and seashells!! :earseek: They also sent a CM to the room with a certificate for DH and a cute little Vero tote bag with one of those can cooler things. I don't know what it's called. Really nice of them!
We ate at Shutters 3 times, and bleachers twice. The food was good. The kids loved their food. DH and I ordered adult portions of the kids grilled chicken and mickey raviolis.(at shutters) We did this all 3 times!! DH had tried the meatloaf which he had to send back because it was hard on the bottom. We bought refillable mugs and they were worth it. We went to the green cabin and had some snacks and a drink for me! We went to the ocean which was clean and refreshing. We had alot of fun with the kids there. We rented chairs and an umbrella and felt it was worth the money. The pool area was very crowded and it was very hot. After 2 days I felt the sun and heat were just too much for the kids. So, that left them feeling there was nothing else to do. I was disappointed that the community hall here is only used at certain times for special events. We loved the one at SSR. DD did enjoy 2 different craft times at the Vero one. After the 2nd night, I could've come home. OK, maybe 3 nights, but not more than that for us. We did venture out to the area. We went to the mall, TGIFridays, the treasure museum, Captain Hariems, just to check it out. I have to tell you the highlight of venturing out of the resort was the Carvel ice cream parlor we found on 60 West!!! It was so nice and clean with friendly servers! They had tables inside it it was a great snack for the kids we went there twice! The campfire was rained out so they did it on the back porch. It was cute. One bit of advice if you go to Vero this time of year and you go outside after 6pm: DROWN YOURSELF IN BUG REPELLENT!!!!! We did and were still bit up. DH got it the worst. Red dots all over from those pesky no see ums!!! It was so bad and itchy he had to buy benedryl.
To sum up Vero, for us we had a great time but don't see a need to go back anytime soon. The heat was too much(I should've know better, but wanted to try it out)we were bored after 3 days. That's not a bad thing, just our opinion.

Sorry this is so long. If anyone has any questions, ask away!!

Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time!
:)

Great report! We love SSR and I am glad that even a BWV fan can like SSR!

Did you do any of the activities in the Community Hall. We will be down in a few weeks and I was wondering what kind of activities they might have.

Thanks for the report and glad you had a good time. Can you tell me how much was it to rent the chairs and unbrella at VB. We are anxious to try it out but not at this time of the year, as you said, it is much to hot. :flower:

Thanks for the report. I love hearing about other people's trip. It helps get me through until my next one. :earsgirl:

Doug7856
We didn't get to do any of the activities at the Community Hall at SSR. We went in and talked to the girls working there and they told me that they wish they could do more activities like at Vero. They said they are not allowed to because then it would take people away from the parks. They couldn't make too many and too appealing things to make people want to take their kids there! We loved it in there and the kids could've stayed there for hours. I have a sheet here and I'll just tell you some things that are on it for an example of what they do.
The hours are 9am-10pm
Mon:
Decorate a wooden top 10:45-11:30 Fee
Pottery 2pm-4pm Fee $10-$18
Tissue characters 7:15-8pm
Tues:
Key chains 10:45-11:30 Make a beaded key chain
Towel Animals 12:30-1:30
Tote Bags 2:30-3:30 Fee Decorate a canvas tote bag

Other things are water colors, scrapbooking, wind chimes, badges, face painting, paint and swirl, paper boats, door hanger, paint a wooden car, decorate t-shirts. Some have fees and alot don't.

cristbaby
The member price for 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella was $28, with tax it was $31.96. We also tipped the girl $2. The chairs and umbrella were already out and set up. We just picked a spot. Did I mention how much fun we had playing in the ocean??!! The waves really knocked us over. It was so funny cause I really had a hard time getting back to my feet! We were only in knee deep.

Thanks for the report Desnik ! :cool1:
Hope they ended up backwashing the kiddie pool at WL !!! :scared1:

Thanks for the report! We're trying out SSR in 2 weeks and I always wondered about Vero. We're not big on beach vacations. Unless there is TONS to do, we get bored very easily. Maybe we can go there for 3 days after WDW some year to wind down. Glad you had a good trip!

Thanks for the report,glad you had a good time. A little off topic. How was the drive? We always fly ( my wife is spoiled :earsgirl: )but I was looking into driving the next trip from N.Y. What's the use of a conversion van when we drive no more than 5 hours for any trip? :goodvibes

The drive down.....
DH and I have no problem driving, we like it and are use to it. This time we left at 5:30pm because we thought that with the ages of the kids we would all do better if they were sleeping the majority of the time!!LOL!!! ;) Well, the girls had us stopping every hour for the bathroom!! Until they all fell asleep for the night we stopped too many times. Then we got into a ton of traffic, every where we were. Some spots of I95 were only one lane due to construction. DH and I were well rested and took turns driving through the night, but it was tough. We are use to getting there in 18-19 hours tops. This time we didn't get there till 2pm so it took 21 hours. The ride home we did better. We were both well rested and took turns driving. We were on the road by 11:30am. We did stop for lunch and dinner. That probably took 3hrs. We arrived home at 8:30am.
We will be doing it again in Nov but I'm not sure if we'll do it the same way. Oh, we also had a DVD player, PSP, Gameboy advance, IPODS, coloring books, magna doodle, word searches, activity books, stickers, color wonder, basically tons of things to keep them busy. Well, it didn't stop DD from the "are we there yet" or all of them being bored!!! Could you imagine? I think this time the drive was alot for them. DS was pretty good. Once a movie was on he was happy. DH doesn't fly so we drive. I have thought of just meeting him down there with the kids, but haven't actually done that yet!

I am laughing over your "arsenal" of supplies to keep the kids happy. We are similarly outfitted when we drive twice a year (16 hours) to WDW. My kids are usually good because of all the equipment we pack. I always tell them how when I was a kid (back in the Middle Ages) we drove every summer with no A/C and my Dad controlling the radio. To this day I can't bear to hear country music! We had a travel trailer and stayed at campgrounds on the way down. We played license plate bingo and had crayons and that was about it. Boy, times have changed in 30 years!

We are spending 1 night at Vero during our upcoming trip to WDW. I usually have regular "Off" bug spray. Will that repel these voracious Vero bugs or do I need something else more potent? :mickeybar

Oh, we also had a DVD player, PSP, Gameboy advance, IPODS, coloring books, magna doodle, word searches, activity books, stickers, color wonder, basically tons of things to keep them busy. Well, it didn't stop DD from the "are we there yet" or all of them being bored!!!
Oh I'm so with ya on this ! The only thing is, we don't drive through the night anymore. Just took too much of a toll on us and we felt our first day was wasted because all my dh and I wanted to do was sleep. lol Now we start off around 6 am and drive until about 8 or 9 pm. We're usually in southern SC or GA at this point. We sleep there for the night and then continue on down in the morning. We're usually in WDW around noon. Takes us about 17 to maybe 18 hours depending on stops (not including the sleep over). Even now that my kids are older (youngest is 12), we still get the "are we there yet" ? :rolleyes:

I kept telling the kids how lucky they were to have so much stuff to do in the car. How there was a time when there were no CD's or video games, etc... They look at me in disbelief!! :rotfl:

As for the bugs, well we used the spray off and it wasn't good enough. So on top of that we used the I think they are by "cutter" wipes, or towelettes. I got them at the dollar store and they worked pretty well. Poor DH, nothing helped him!

Very much enjoyed your report. Glad you liked SSR.

If you go back to Vero someday, will you stay in the Inn again? Our one visit there in our pre DVC days, we had a 2 BR with a supposed oceanview unit....we could see a sliver of the ocean. :rotfl2: If we go back, I'm planning on the Inn.

If/when we get back to Vero it would definately be in an Inn room. The ocean view is spectacular. Also, everything is right there. No walk outside to get to the food! We were on the same floor as the Green Cabin so refills for our mugs were easy! Also late night snacks were easy to pick up. We liked having the store right downstairs for video rentals, and other snacks and gifts. The pool and ocean were a short walk away. Perfect in our opinion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter