Just because you can, should you?

Should you?

• Total voters
I agree not liking the color of a couch especially for how long they had it is not a reasonable reason for a return. That's just one's personal tastes changing and doesn't have to do with the product itself.

Costco wants people to be satisfied with their products. That said it's similar to how Amazon will say free returns for any reason on the qualifying products. On the other hand maybe Costco should (and perhaps already does) track internally the reasons for returns for each household. Amazon reserves the right to cancel your membership if they feel you are abusing their system, Costco could do the same. I mean they added the functionality to see your in-store purchase history on your account so even you can see what your history is like.

I do frequent enough returns at Costco but it's clothing which is understandable due to no fitting rooms. I've also gotten money back when the item reduced in price within 30 days of purchasing but I actually didn't even think to do that for like the first 8 years of my membership so they probably bank on enough people not taking them up on that part of their membership.

One of his more recent cons of choice was big items from online only retailers with generous free return policies. He’d claim whatever he got was damaged and wind up with two sofas or tables, because the company supposedly didn’t want to deal with return shipping. He’d turn around and sell the replacement for a profit. It wasn’t right, but they allowed him to get away with gaming the system. There are times when I wonder how much truth there was in these stories. Like a blend of con artist and compulsive liar. Nonetheless, he was quite comfortable having people believe he was that kind of person.
I've experienced this but for legit damage or missing parts. We had a bench that was missing 2 of the thread in leveling feet and they sent out an entirely new one. We also had a knife set from Chicago Cutlery that was 18 pcs but the wrong contents (3 bread knives and missing 2 steak knives). Instead of sending us the right knives they just sent out a second set. Ironically, the second set was also wrong but we were able to piece together a single "correct" set from them.

Companies just aren't doing a good job with spare parts it seems like.
I remember (correctly? falsely?) Sears used to have "lifetime warranties" on at least some of their tools. But using the warranty after 2 1/2 years because "I don't like it anymore", I'm not sure they would have accepted.

I don't think the store in the OP should have accepted the return for that reason. But, that's their call.
Craftsman hand tools had lifetime warranties. Returned more than a few broken tools for replacements when we still had Sears stores. Not sure if there is a way to warranty broken tools from them any more.

Reminds me of the "Alligator Rule".

For those unfamiliar with the Alligator rule: it means just because I didn't specifically say you are not allowed to run around the house with an Alligator on your head, it doesn't mean that it's ok to run around the house with an Alligator on tour head.

Use some common sense.
Cops could use the Alligator Rule to deal with 1st amendment Frauditors.

Costco wants people to be satisfied with their products. That said it's similar to how Amazon will say free returns for any reason on the qualifying products. On the other hand maybe Costco should (and perhaps already does) track internally the reasons for returns for each household. Amazon reserves the right to cancel your membership if they feel you are abusing their system, Costco could do the same. I mean they added the functionality to see your in-store purchase history on your account so even you can see what your history is like.

I do frequent enough returns at Costco but it's clothing which is understandable due to no fitting rooms. I've also gotten money back when the item reduced in price within 30 days of purchasing but I actually didn't even think to do that for like the first 8 years of my membership so they probably bank on enough people not taking them up on that part of their membership.
My cousin’s daughter used to work at Costco and she said they definitely keep track of the quantity of returns. Yes, their policy is generous but most likely the second or third time someone returned a sofa after 2.5 years (or similar egregious repeats) Costco would accept the return then terminate their membership and refund the fee, saying something like “we’re sorry we’re unable to provide satisfactory merchandise/service to you.”

Last edited:
If Costco is going to offer a lifetime return policy, then why not? Couches wear down over time, and if they're gonna offer to give you a new one with the purchase of the original, I don't see an issue taking it.

I've experienced this but for legit damage or missing parts. We had a bench that was missing 2 of the thread in leveling feet and they sent out an entirely new one. We also had a knife set from Chicago Cutlery that was 18 pcs but the wrong contents (3 bread knives and missing 2 steak knives). Instead of sending us the right knives they just sent out a second set. Ironically, the second set was also wrong but we were able to piece together a single "correct" set from them.

Companies just aren't doing a good job with spare parts it seems like.

I think a lot of us have had genuine situations like this and it's usually purely innocent. It's one thing to have a legitimate product issue or parts missing matter, but he was fabricating these situations to get freebies because he could.

Absolutely not. If anything, the couch should be pro-rated to determine the refund amount.
How would you pro-rate it? Let's say it costs $1000. Do you pro-rate it on 10 years (so it loses $100/year)? 5 Years? 6 Months?

I gotta agree with @jimmymc, if the business is willing to accept it, why not? I wouldn't even think to consider something that "wore out" (just normal wear & tear) or that I "changed my mind about" unless it was like within the first 30-60 days.

If Costco is going to offer a lifetime return policy, then why not? Couches wear down over time, and if they're gonna offer to give you a new one with the purchase of the original, I don't see an issue taking it.
They don’t really have a lifetime return policy, per se. Yes, you can return something that’s unused months or years after you bought it, but they don’t specify that you can return purchases after years of use.

They don’t really have a lifetime return policy, per se. Yes, you can return something that’s unused months or years after you bought it, but they don’t specify that you can return purchases after years of use.
It says they will refund your purchase price if you aren't satisfied, but don't specify a length for couches. If they're going to honor it for 3 year used furniture, that's up to them. I have no issues with a customer asking for and being grandted a refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter