Just how busy are non-party days at MK?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Looking at our upcoming trip in November, there's only one day we can attend MK on a non-party day, and it's a Saturday. Touring Plans has it at a level 7. I've seen people say that the non-MVMCP days are crazy at MK. Just how crowded are we talking? We attended last week of June/first of July and it was definitely crowded. We managed, but we also took afternoons off. We aren't doing that this time, and had really hoped for lower crowds.

Looking at our upcoming trip in November, there's only one day we can attend MK on a non-party day, and it's a Saturday. Touring Plans has it at a level 7. I've seen people say that the non-MVMCP days are crazy at MK. Just how crowded are we talking? We attended last week of June/first of July and it was definitely crowded. We managed, but we also took afternoons off. We aren't doing that this time, and had really hoped for lower crowds.
I usually travel to Disney during the time they have MNSSHP so I have experience with this. There is a big difference from what I have seen. To the point that I will skip non party days 100% or, at most, go JUST for fireworks if I just have to see them. But I would never use those days as a touring day. It is simply not worth it. You will get so much more done on a party day even with the shortened hours.

Huge difference. I remember one time we picked Wednesday for MK because of the light parade and fireworks. By noon it was so crowded we couldn’t stand it. Left and came back in the evening for parade and fireworks.

Was also there last month and we wanted to see Happily Ever After. We had a FP for 7DMT and when we were done, there was an announcement that the hub and Main Street were closed. It was at least a half hour before the start. Didn’t see it, we just got something to eat and left after.

Huge difference. I remember one time we picked Wednesday for MK because of the light parade and fireworks. By noon it was so crowded we couldn’t stand it. Left and came back in the evening for parade and fireworks.

Was also there last month and we wanted to see Happily Ever After. We had a FP for 7DMT and when we were done, there was an announcement that the hub and Main Street were closed. It was at least a half hour before the start. Didn’t see it, we just got something to eat and left after.

Closed?! Because it was so crowded I take it?

I was there this past late nov/ early dec and had this problem. we went to MK and toured on 2 party days, the park was not bad at all, and we got a lot done. We had park hoppers and would use those nights to do the evening entertainment in the other parks. Then we hopped from a day at HS to MK at 4 pm on a non party night to do the night time stuff there. This plan worked well for us.

I was there this past late nov/ early dec and had this problem. we went to MK and toured on 2 party days, the park was not bad at all, and we got a lot done. We had park hoppers and would use those nights to do the evening entertainment in the other parks. Then we hopped from a day at HS to MK at 4 pm on a non party night to do the night time stuff there. This plan worked well for us.

I've thought of that, but it would add another $375 for us, which I don't know that we can afford. I was looking at the Touring Plans historical numbers for the first Saturday of the December for the last couple years - 2017 was a 9, and 2016 was an 8..... oie.

I'm thinking maybe we're better off just attending the party. We don't have much flexibility, and the kids really want to see both a parade and fireworks.

The party may cost about as much as the hoppers. We only did the hoppers this last trip because we had to for free dining, so I definitely understand not wanting to add more money to an already expensive trip. The party is awesome though, and they let you enter the park early so you don’t need to waste a park ticket.

The party may cost about as much as the hoppers. We only did the hoppers this last trip because we had to for free dining, so I definitely understand not wanting to add more money to an already expensive trip. The party is awesome though, and they let you enter the park early so you don’t need to waste a park ticket.

If we do the party, we'll trade in our 2 day tickets, and just do 1 day (HS) and the party instead, so it should come out pretty close. Chances are we won't get free dining anyways, so I'm not really factoring that into it at this point.

Hi there!

I've never gone in November, but I frequently go in October and have attended Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party several times. I will say, on the days that the party was going on, Magic Kingdom did seem to have higher crowds. It wasn't unbearable in my experience, but on the days that we didn't have tickets to the party, we would prefer to go to a different park and enjoy how quiet it was. I am going this November and the crowd calendar I always check, that has been pretty accurate for previous trips, has almost the whole month of November in between light & moderate crowds. The only "heavy to unbearable" crows it shows are the week of Thanksgiving and then further into the last few weeks of December.

Our first MK day was Monday, November 13. Non-party day. I wanted to see Happily Ever After, so I was hoping to do it that first day and not have to think about it for the rest of the week. TP predicted a crowd level of 6, but it turned out to be an 8. It was really busy. But, because it was just the 2 of us, we did fine. We were able to get 15 fast passes that day and got a ton of stuff done.

It's a pretty drastic difference, IMO, and Saturdays are always super crowded anyways with locals. If you go in with patience and a few fastpasses, you can have a great day - just be prepared for lines for everything, including the restrooms, and occasional bottleneck spots. Either book a TS for a break or take advantage of mobile ordering.

I would also warn you to be in the hub around an hour prior to the fireworks - twice during the holiday season, we were at the MK when they announced the hub was closed to capacity. A dessert party might actually be worth the cost on those days if seeing the fireworks from the hub is important. We watched them from behind the castle and it was a cool perspective for a change but you miss all the projections.

Our first MK day was Monday, November 13. Non-party day. I wanted to see Happily Ever After, so I was hoping to do it that first day and not have to think about it for the rest of the week. TP predicted a crowd level of 6, but it turned out to be an 8. It was really busy. But, because it was just the 2 of us, we did fine. We were able to get 15 fast passes that day and got a ton of stuff done.

Right now we're a party of 5, and that may be changing to a party of 7.

Saturday will also add to the crowds

If you had a few MK days, sure, but if it's your only MK day, I would be cautious.

Honestly, a Saturday during hard ticket party season is going to be miserable busy. I love fireworks and parades. But I would give that up for a more pleasant and manageable park day and go on a party day.

I really don't know if I would go just for the party as my only MK experience on an entire trip. It's a lot of fun, but it's a lot to get done in a short time with kids along. I can handle missing pretty much anything on a Disney trip, but if I leave feeling shortchanged on the MK, I would be disappointed.

Right now we're a party of 5, and that may be changing to a party of 7.
I especially would not want to tour the MK on a Saturday during party season with a party of 7. Would your group need to stay together the entire time? Sometimes it helps if you can split up for a while.

The crowds for HEA that night will be very hard to navigate. Any chance you could do the dessert party or something?

We did the week before Thanksgiving in 2017, with party day during the week (Thursday) and a non party Saturday. Touring Plans was pretty dead on with their ride time predictions, and they had the park at about a 3 on party day and a 7 on the Saturday. I will say we did WAY more attractions on the party day leaving at 6 then we did on the nonparty day, just because we walked onto a ton of rides, or stood in line for like 10 mins max on the big stuff. Totally worth going on a party day even if not going to a party.
On the nonparty day the afternoon was by far the most crowded time. We waited an hour for DUMBO! Haha! But just about everything had a 45+ min wait. We said if we did it again we'd rope drop, take an afternoon break, and go back in the evening. Evening was great, crowds thinned out a ton after dark, we found lots of 4th, 5th, 6th fast passes for lower tier stuff (Pirates, magic carpets, racetrack, stuff like that)

They also extended the hours the week we were there, so the park was open until midnight on the Sat we were there. If our kids were nightowls we could have done anything, but they fell asleep in stroller immediately after the 10p fireworks. We walked around a bit to stay out of the crowds waiting for the ferry/monorail and the park was super empty!

If I only had one MK day, no way would I choose to do it on a Saturday. Our last trip was November, 2016 (week before Thanksgiving week). Crowds were really manageable all week. We went to MK on Saturday (before our flight home) because BTMRR is my son's favourite ride and it was just reopening after refurb. It was SOOOO much busier than any other time we have ever been there (including the Wednesday, which was our other non-party day that week, when we saw the fireworks). It took us literally twice as long to get everywhere, 10 minute waits to use the restrooms, people EVERYWHERE. I swore I would never do it again. Fast forward to our upcoming trip, and the kids have declared MK MUST be our last park, so we're going on Saturday again... but it will be our 10th park day, so we don't have high expectations.

For you, I think attending the party might be a viable option. If you show up right at 4:00, and can stay until midnight, you have almost as many hours in the park as you would during a regular party day, arriving at rope drop and leaving at 6:00. Your kids would get to see the parade and fireworks with much lower crowds, and you'd still have time to ride what you want (if that is your priority).

If I only had one MK day, no way would I choose to do it on a Saturday. Our last trip was November, 2016 (week before Thanksgiving week). Crowds were really manageable all week. We went to MK on Saturday (before our flight home) because BTMRR is my son's favourite ride and it was just reopening after refurb. It was SOOOO much busier than any other time we have ever been there (including the Wednesday, which was our other non-party day that week, when we saw the fireworks). It took us literally twice as long to get everywhere, 10 minute waits to use the restrooms, people EVERYWHERE. I swore I would never do it again. Fast forward to our upcoming trip, and the kids have declared MK MUST be our last park, so we're going on Saturday again... but it will be our 10th park day, so we don't have high expectations.

For you, I think attending the party might be a viable option. If you show up right at 4:00, and can stay until midnight, you have almost as many hours in the park as you would during a regular party day, arriving at rope drop and leaving at 6:00. Your kids would get to see the parade and fireworks with much lower crowds, and you'd still have time to ride what you want (if that is your priority).

Yes, definitely need to do some rides. Their list of "musts" are: 7D, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Carousel, Jingle Cruise, Peter Pan, and if possible, meet Merida. Then of course they want to see the fireworks, the parade and the main Christmas show. I'm thinking we'll either be attending on a Sunday (Dec 2) or a Tuesday night (Dec 4).

Based on what I've read here, we definitely will not be doing the MK on Saturday. We'll just do the party. I would have really liked to see HEA and FoF, but, I don't really want to deal with crowds like that, especially since we won't be taking an afternoon break. We'll be back in 2 or 3 years after SWL opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter